Subject: [manet] I-D Action: draft-ietf-manet-dlep-da-credit-extension-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2017 13:38:07 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks of the IETF.

        Title           : DLEP DiffServ Aware Credit Windowing Extension
        Authors         : Bow-Nan Cheng
                          David Wiggins
                          Lou Berger
	Filename        : draft-ietf-manet-dlep-da-credit-extension-00.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2017-02-09

Abstract:
   This document defines an extension to the DLEP protocol that enables
   a DiffServ aware credit-windowing scheme for destination-specific
   flow control.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-manet-dlep-da-credit-extension/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-manet-dlep-da-credit-extension-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Ratliff, Stanley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 21:39:15 +0000

WG Participants, 

Please note that there is already agreement to merge this draft with the existing credit-windowing draft. 

Regards,
Stan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: manet [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of internet-
> [email-masked]
> Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2017 4:38 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [manet] I-D Action: draft-ietf-manet-dlep-da-credit-extension-
> 00.txt
> 
> 
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-
> 3A__datatracker.ietf.org_doc_draft-2Dietf-2Dmanet-2Ddlep-2Dda-2Dcredit-
> 2Dextension_&d=DwICAg&c=LlUvidvlhStGUSxQl0giOA&r=QzgCKlK-
> eUsbLW5r8KZAL9L_yqNON1dbKtMa-
> Wbxna8&m=9TQb6Q5N3BVTInZ75WoGOOnfJUebZ79I48J4BqgfULw&s=0w3f
> AQEHq-AFeAS0_0V-qYD3X2_V5ICYQYzYyc3Xs_s&e=
> 
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-
> 3A__tools.ietf.org_html_draft-2Dietf-2Dmanet-2Ddlep-2Dda-2Dcredit-
> 2Dextension-2D00&d=DwICAg&c=LlUvidvlhStGUSxQl0giOA&r=QzgCKlK-
> eUsbLW5r8KZAL9L_yqNON1dbKtMa-
> Wbxna8&m=9TQb6Q5N3BVTInZ75WoGOOnfJUebZ79I48J4BqgfULw&s=vS4_
> ErYmNSqmCuJN2GQIxdAhWASU-t02QmM3REGP7YA&e=
> 
> 
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=ftp-3A__ftp.ietf.org_internet-
> 2Ddrafts_&d=DwICAg&c=LlUvidvlhStGUSxQl0giOA&r=QzgCKlK-
> eUsbLW5r8KZAL9L_yqNON1dbKtMa-
> Wbxna8&m=9TQb6Q5N3BVTInZ75WoGOOnfJUebZ79I48J4BqgfULw&s=lceM
> culiCdita8xLaO2U354BvtcjwbCCS6X8FNPtgXQ&e=
> 
> _______________________________________________
> manet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-
> 3A__www.ietf.org_mailman_listinfo_manet&d=DwICAg&c=LlUvidvlhStGUSx
> Ql0giOA&r=QzgCKlK-eUsbLW5r8KZAL9L_yqNON1dbKtMa-
> Wbxna8&m=9TQb6Q5N3BVTInZ75WoGOOnfJUebZ79I48J4BqgfULw&s=xuEj5
> CF-nwub-tZ7Ixil9PID0Bb2S7SaQcBalurdB7E&e=

============================================================================================================================================
This electronic message and any files transmitted with it contains
information from iDirect, which may be privileged, proprietary
and/or confidential. It is intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the original
recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the
intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email
in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or
copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email
in error, please delete it and immediately notify the sender.

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 17:25:49 -0500

Thanks Stan.

WG,

    So one of the basic differences in the drafts is that this document
only supports flow control in one direction, i.e., for traffic sent from
a router to a modem, while the other credit-window draft supports it in
both directions.  We'd like feedback from the WG on which approach to
follow.

We (authors of the DA draft) made a conscious choice to limit the DA
credit based flow control to one direction out of the desire to keep the
extension as simple as possible and to provide what is really expected
to be used.

Clearly the reason for being able to control traffic that is sent from
the router to the modem/radio is pretty easily understood.  Also, while
bidirectional flow control existed in pre-dlep solutions, it wasn't
really used -- and in one reported bug/case resulted in traffic dropped
unnecessarily.  That said, it at first seemed appealing to define a
symmetric approach that supports flow control in either direction, but
when getting into the details of DLEP message formats ( and different
message types in general, based on sender type) the result was a
symmetric solution that used non-symmetric messaging - which in the
authors opinion was fairly complex. So, given:
    (a) the added complexity of document/protocol/code needed to support
        bidirectional credit control and
    (b) no one has ever used or currently expects to use credit flow
        control for traffic destined to a router

We concluded that unidirectional definition was the right place to aim
*at this time*.  This of course doesn't preclude someone from defining a
companion definition for modem to router traffic flow control down the
road -- when there is an actual need.

So the question for the WG is:

Should the merged / future credit window definition support (1)
bidirectional (credit) flow control, or (2) flow control for only
traffic from a router to a modem?

Said another way: does anyone wish to advocate the position that we need
credit window flow control for traffic received over the air, and sent
from modem to router, *now*?
 
Thanks,
Lou

On 2/9/2017 4:39 PM, Ratliff, Stanley wrote:
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet
>

---

From: Henning Rogge <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 08:31:02 +0100

> from modem to router, *now*?

Hi,

in general flow control is about keeping the "bottleneck/queue" mostly
on the router, where we can control it at a central point. That is an
important part of the design goal of DLEP.

I think flow control from the router towards the radio is THE most
important part, it is practically necessary for all radios if you want
to do some kind of Priorization on the router.

Flow control from the radio to the router is a (in my opinion) rare
cornercase for radios with a TDMA that can control incoming traffic.

Because of this I think an unidirectional flow control extension is a
good idea, otherwise we add a lot of complexity which will nearly
never be used.

Henning Rogge