Subject: [manet] Protocol Action: 'Dynamic Link Exchange Protocol (DLEP)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-manet-dlep-29.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 12:19:17 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Dynamic Link Exchange Protocol (DLEP)'
  (draft-ietf-manet-dlep-29.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-manet-dlep/

Technical Summary

   When routing devices rely on modems to effect communications over
   wireless links, they need timely and accurate knowledge of the
   characteristics of the link (speed, state, etc.) in order to make
   routing decisions.  In mobile or other environments where these
   characteristics change frequently, manual configurations or the
   inference of state through routing or transport protocols does not
   allow the router to make the best decisions.  A bidirectional, event-
   driven communication channel between the router and the modem is
   necessary.

Working Group Summary

   Development of the DLEP document has taken quite some time with a 
   few major revisions along the way.  DLEP has previously passed WGLC 
   but was then sent back to the WG after an extensive RtgDir review.  As 
   a result the document was split into two documents the base specification 
   (this document) and one for a credit windowing extension.  There were 
   also some minor technical changes were made, some major editorial changes 
   were done.

   There is support within the working group on moving this document forward.  
   Previous areas of contention within DLEP were worked out within the working 
   group with no serious objections regarding the final decisions.

Document Quality

   There are multiple existing implementations of the protocol, at least 4 
   independent ones are known.  There is broad support within industry and more 
   implementations are expected once standardized and well as demand on the 
   customer side.  

   One of the aspects to highlight is that the known implementations are all 
   to be deployed in "secured perimeter" applications; in some cases the router
   and the modem are part of the same chassis.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd is Justin Dean
   Area Director Alvaro Retana

RFC Editor Note

  Bo Berry has unfortunely passed away.  Because he was one of the original 
  authors of this work, the authors/WG decided to keep his name on the 
  document to honor his memory.  The Responsible AD (Alvaro Retana) will 
  be making any needed approvals in Bo's name.