Subject: [manet] Warren Kumari's No Objection on draft-ietf-manet-dlep-multi-hop-extension-06: (with COMMENT)

From: Warren Kumari via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2019 12:43:03 -0700

Warren Kumari has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-manet-dlep-multi-hop-extension-06: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-manet-dlep-multi-hop-extension/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for writing this -- I learnt a bunch while reading it.

I have a few minor comments:
1: "This document refers to forwarding by intermediate modems as 'multi-hop
forwarding'.  example using . DLEP Destination messages" There is a random ".
exmaple using ." in the above.

2: "The Hop Count Data Item is used by a modem to indicate the number of modem
that transmits/sends data to reach a particular destination, ..." This is
really hard to parse - I think you need "number of modem*s*" and
s/transmits/transmit/". Or, perhaps something like "The Hop Count Data Item is
used by a modem to indicate the number of modems that data will transit to
reach ..."?

3: Question: "The data item also contains an indication of when a destination
which currently has a hop count of greater than one (1) could be made directly
reachable by a modem, e.g., by re-aiming an antenna." -- how can a modem know
this? Unless it knows physically where a destination is, what the antenna
information is, what objects might be between the antenna and destination
exist, etc I cannot see how this might work -- but, then again, I know very
little about this technology, so I'm happy to be educated...

4: IANA is likely to have questions about "Hop Control Actions Registry", like
what the registration policy is, etc...