Subject: [manet] Suresh Krishnan's Discuss on draft-ietf-manet-dlep-lid-extension-05: (with DISCUSS)

From: Suresh Krishnan via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 21:05:23 -0700

Suresh Krishnan has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-manet-dlep-lid-extension-05: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-manet-dlep-lid-extension/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

* Section 3.1.

I might be missing something here but I think that the "MUST be used" in this
session is wrong and must be relaxed by qualifying it. Here is why. In case the
router does not advertise support by including the value 'Link Identifiers' in
the Extension Data Item inside the Session Initialization Message, I feel that
the modem MUST NOT send the Link Identifier Length Data Item as this will
result in a Session Termination message from the router based on the rules
specified in Section 12.1 of RFC8175 due to the unknown data item.

If you agree with my assessment, I would suggest a change like this. If not,
can you please clarify.

OLD:

   It MUST be used during Session Initialization, contained in a Session
   Initialization Response Message, if the specified length is not the
   default value of 4 octets.

NEW:

   If the router advertised support by including the value 'Link Identifiers'
   in the Extension Data Item inside the Session Initialization Message, this
   data item MUST be used during Session Initialization, contained in a Session
   Initialization Response Message, if the specified length is not the default
   value of 4 octets. If not, this Data Item MUST NOT be sent.

---

From: Rick Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 12:58:23 +0000

Hi Suresh,

Thanks for the feedback.

This is a difficult one, as the whole document refers to an extension,
we include canonical text early on that (tries to) state that if you
support this extension, this is what you should do, if not don't. 

However, you are right that in the message that includes the extension
negotiation and possibly this message, your suggestion is good.

Cheers,

Rick

On Tue, 2019-08-20 at 21:05 -0700, Suresh Krishnan via Datatracker
wrote:
> Please refer to 
> https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
> _______________________________________________
> manet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet