Subject: [manet] Barry Leiba's No Objection on draft-ietf-manet-dlep-lid-extension-05: (with COMMENT)

From: Barry Leiba via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 14:01:16 -0700

Barry Leiba has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-manet-dlep-lid-extension-05: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-manet-dlep-lid-extension/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure it's just because I don't fully understand DLEP, but I don't get this
bit in Section 2.2:

   However, the modem SHOULD NOT immediately terminate the
   DLEP session, rather it SHOULD use a combination of DLEP Session
   Messages and DLEP Attached Subnet Data Items to provide general
   information.

Will implementers know, based on how DLEP works in general, what "general
information" to provide?  What good will that general information do?  The
implication here is that the modem will terminate the DLEP session after
providing the general information (as it requires this feature and the feature
isn't available).  So what's the point of the general information the modem
will provide before terminating?  Is it worth saying a few more words here?

---

From: "Taylor, Rick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 08:49:50 +0000

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the feedback.

This looks like a classic problem of being too close to the solution!  I agree with your comment that a few more words here would be useful for implementers less familiar with DLEP than the authors.

Regards,

Rick

Rick Taylor
Product Design Authority, Mobile IP Node
Principal Engineer (eXpert), Mobile Communications
Airbus Defence and Space 
Celtic Springs
Coedkernew
Newport
NP10 8FZ
 
Phone: +44 (0) 1633 71 5637 
[email-masked]

www.airbusdefenceandspace.com

-----Original Message-----
From: manet [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Barry Leiba via Datatracker
Sent: 21 August 2019 22:01
To: The IESG
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [manet] Barry Leiba's No Objection on draft-ietf-manet-dlep-lid-extension-05: (with COMMENT)

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet
This email and its attachments may contain confidential and/or privileged information.  If you have received them in error you must not use, copy or disclose their content to any person.  Please notify the sender immediately and then delete this email from your system.  This e-mail has been scanned for viruses, but it is the responsibility of the recipient to conduct their own security measures. Airbus Operations Limited is not liable for any loss or damage arising from the receipt or use of this e-mail.

Airbus Operations Limited, a company registered in England and Wales, registration number, 3468788.  Registered office:  Pegasus House, Aerospace Avenue, Filton, Bristol, BS34 7PA, UK.

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 09:13:52 -0400

> This looks like a classic problem of being too close to the solution!  I agree with your comment
> that a few more words here would be useful for implementers less familiar with DLEP than the
> authors.

Thanks, Rick!

Barry