Subject: [Maprg] Guidelines for Performing Safe Measurement on the Internet

From: Iain Learmonth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 10:39:31 +0000

Hi All,

-- This message was originally sent to the PEARG list, please send
replies there.

I have just submitted a draft containing the start of some guidelines
for performing safe measurement on the Internet. This should hopefully
soon appear as:
  draft-learmonth-pearg-safe-internet-measurement-00

For now, you can see the submitted text at:

https://people.torproject.org/~irl/volatile/draft-learmonth-pearg-safe-internet-measurement-00.txt

I am happy to receive any comments you may have. This draft draws on the
Tor Research Safety Board's considerations when considering research on
the Tor network. I have previously worked on large scale Internet
measurement studies and my hope is to bring these two things together
into a useful resource for others that would like to perform Internet
measurements.

My Internet measurement background is primarily in functional testing as
opposed to performance testing, so comments in that area would be
particularly useful.

This is by no means a finished document I just wanted to get this out
there and start collecting feedback as soon as I could.

Thanks,
Iain.