Subject: RE: Appeal: Publication of draft-lyon-senderid-core-01 in conflictwith referenced draft-schlitt-spf-classic-02

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:14:58 -0700

> > All SPF does is provide a mechanism whereby sending parties can 
> > describe their outgoing edge mail servers. The recipient has the 
> > absolute right to interpret that data in any way they see 
> fit. That is 
> > the entire point of a spam filtering scheme.
> 
> You have long advocated this position, but unfortunately the 
> definition of "outgoing edge mail servers" is not a nice, 
> clean, crisp concept.  It sounds good, but unfortunately, it 
> doesn't work.

OK, "All SPF does is ATTEMPT TO provide a mechanism whereby "

Happy now?

It does not matter which way you try to slice it, the sender of the
message has no connection to any of the forwarder mechanisms or any
other part of the email infrastructure.

At some point there is a boundary between infrastructure the sender has
control of and where he does not. That boundary is very clearly defined
in my universe but even if it was ambiguous it would still exist.

---

From: wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 14:24:46 -0500

> OK, "All SPF does is ATTEMPT TO provide a mechanism whereby "

Sorry, but no..

> in my universe but even if it was ambiguous it would still exist.

The problem is that for different identities, this "boundary" is
different.  In particular, the boundaries between the SPF identities
(2821.MAILFROM and 2821.HELO) are different than SenderID (PRA).

-wayne