Subject: [media-types] Registration of VP8 media subtype

From: "Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 15:46:32 +0000

Hello,

The VP8 draft is currently in WGLC in the Payload WG.
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-payload-vp8/?include_text=1

The media type registration is in section 6.1, also included below.

Comments on the registration are welcome.

-acbegen
Payload WG Co-Chair

6.1.  Media Type Definition

   This registration is done using the template defined in [RFC4288] and
   following [RFC4855].

   Type name:  video

   Subtype name:  VP8

   Required parameters:  none

   Optional parameters:

      max-fr, max-fs  These parameters MAY be used to signal the
         capabilities of a receiver implementation.  These parameters
         MUST NOT be used for any other purpose.

      max-fr:  The value of max-fr is an integer indicating the maximum
         frame rate in units of frames per second that the decoder is
         capable of decoding.

      max-fs:  The value of max-fs is an integer indicating the maximum
         frame size in units of macroblocks that the decoder is capable
         of decoding.

   Encoding considerations:
      This media type is framed in RTP and contains binary data; see
      Section 4.8 of [RFC4288].

   Security considerations:  See Section 7 of RFC xxxx.
      [RFC Editor: Upon publication as an RFC, please replace "XXXX"
      with the number assigned to this document and remove this note.]

   Interoperability considerations:  None.

   Published specification:  VP8 bitstream format [RFC6386] and RFC
      XXXX.
      [RFC Editor: Upon publication as an RFC, please replace "XXXX"
      with the number assigned to this document and remove this note.]

   Applications which use this media type:
      For example: Video over IP, video conferencing.

Additional information:  None.

   Person & email address to contact for further information:
      Patrik Westin, [email-masked]

   Intended usage:  COMMON

   Restrictions on usage:
      This media type depends on RTP framing, and hence is only defined
      for transfer via RTP [RFC3550].

   Author:  Patrik Westin, [email-masked]

   Change controller:
      IETF Payload Working Group delegated from the IESG.