Subject: Re: [media-types] Media type review for draft-ietf-alto-protocol-13

From: "Martin J. Dürst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 19:16:47 +0900

Hello Enrico,

This is a standing comment of mine: Please send the actual registration 
template to the [email-masked] list, not just a pointer to a draft 
(in your case not even an URI, so it's not directly "actionable").

This increases the chance of getting relevant comments significantly.

Regards,   Martin.

On 2012/10/29 23:44, Enrico Marocco wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as document shepherd, I would kindly request a review on the media type
> registration part of draft-ietf-alto-protocol-13 that is about to be
> submitted to the IESG for publication.
>
> Thank you in advance!
>
> Enrico
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> media-types mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/media-types

---

From: Enrico Marocco <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 16:47:09 +0100

Martin, all,

apologies for an overly vague request, and for a response time closer to
deep space rather than human communications. IETF meeting and day job
took the upper hand, my bad. Let me try again.

The ALTO protocol has been specified in the ALTO WG, initially in APP
and later in TSV. The main design choices had been made with the
contribution of several APPs experts (Peter S-A is officially the
technical advisor of the group), but their supervision has weakened with
time. It would thus be very useful to have a review of the key parts,
including the media type registration part, now that the WG considers
the draft ready, but before submitting it to the IESG.

The document is draft-ietf-alto-protocol-13. It is available at
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-alto-protocol-13

The registration request, for 10 "application/alto-*+json" media types,
is in section 9.1:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-alto-protocol-13#section-9.1

If anyone on this list could spend a few minutes even only for a sanity
check, that would be very useful and extremely appreciated.

Enrico

---

From: "Martin J. Dürst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 10:41:31 +0900

Hello Enrico,

> check, that would be very useful and extremely appreciated.

There are quite some people who are ready to do this, but as I have 
explained in my previous mail, the number of people increases 
*significantly* if you actually copy-paste the template, not just a 
pointer. Many thanks in advance for doing so.

Regards,   Martin.

---

From: Enrico Marocco <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 09:25:39 +0100

> pointer. Many thanks in advance for doing so.

It is actually one template for 10 registrations, with pointers to the
relevant sections. It's probably more easily accessible from html, but
nonetheless, a cut&paste is very easy :-) Here it is:

   This document requests the registration of multiple media types,
   listed in Table 2.

     +-------------+------------------------------+-----------------+
     | Type        | Subtype                      | Specification   |
     +-------------+------------------------------+-----------------+
     | application | alto-directory+json          | Section 6.7     |
     | application | alto-networkmap+json         | Section 6.8.1.1 |
     | application | alto-networkmapfilter+json   | Section 6.8.2.1 |
     | application | alto-costmap+json            | Section 6.8.1.2 |
     | application | alto-costmapfilter+json      | Section 6.8.2.2 |
     | application | alto-endpointprop+json       | Section 6.8.3.1 |
     | application | alto-endpointpropparams+json | Section 6.8.3.1 |
     | application | alto-endpointcost+json       | Section 6.8.4.1 |
     | application | alto-endpointcostparams+json | Section 6.8.4.1 |
     | application | alto-error+json              | Section 6.5     |
     +-------------+------------------------------+-----------------+

   Type name:  application

   Subtype name:  This documents requests the registration of multiple
      subtypes, as listed in Table 2.

   Required parameters:  n/a

   Optional parameters:  n/a

   Encoding considerations:  Encoding considerations are identical to
      those specified for the 'application/json' media type.  See
      [RFC4627].

   Security considerations:  Security considerations relating to the
      generation and consumption of ALTO protocol messages are discussed
      in Section 10.

   Interoperability considerations:  This document specifies format of
      conforming messages and the interpretation thereof.

   Published specification:  This document is the specification for
      these media types; see Table 2 for the section documenting each
      media type.

   Applications that use this media type:  ALTO Servers and ALTO Clients
      either standalone or embedded within other applications.

   Additional information:

      Magic number(s):  n/a

      File extension(s):  This document uses the mime type to refer to
         protocol messages and thus does not require a file extension.

      Macintosh file type code(s):  n/a

   Person & email address to contact for further information:  See
      "Authors' Addresses" section.

   Intended usage:  COMMON

   Restrictions on usage:  n/a

   Author:  See "Authors' Addresses" section.

   Change controller:  Internet Engineering Task Force
      (mailto:[email-masked]).

Enrico