Subject: [media-types] New Version Notification for draft-seantek-text-nfo-00.txt

From: Sean Leonard <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 17:54:13 -0700

media-types and apps-discuss Colleagues:

An Internet-Draft to register text/nfo has been posted. text/x-nfo is currently in use.

NFO refers to Relase iNFOrmation. 

Feedback welcome.

Regards,

Sean

Begin forwarded message:

> From: [email-masked]
> Subject: New Version Notification for draft-seantek-text-nfo-00.txt
> Date: October 27, 2014 at 7:45:00 AM PDT

A new version of I-D, draft-seantek-text-nfo-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Sean Leonard and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-seantek-text-nfo
Revision:	00
Title:		The text/nfo Media Type
Document date:	2014-10-24
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		11
URL:            http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-seantek-text-nfo-00.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-seantek-text-nfo/
Htmlized:       http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-seantek-text-nfo-00

Abstract:
  This document registers the text/nfo media type for use with release
  iNFOrmation. While mostly compatible with text/plain, ".NFO" files
  and content have unique encoding and rendering characteristics that
  make them distinguishable from typical plain text.

The IETF Secretariat

************
2. Release iNFOrmation Media Type Registration Application

   Type name: text

   Subtype name: nfo

   Required parameters:

    charset: Per Section 4.2.1 of [RFC6838], charset is REQUIRED. Unlike
     most other text types, the default value is the character set of
     the original IBM PC and MS-DOS, called OEM Code Page 437. For
     purposes of this Internet-Draft, the parameter value is "~oem437".
     [[TODO: figure this out.]] Implementations MUST support OEM Code
     Page 437. Unfortunately, the simple application of the IANA
     registered character set "IBM437" (aka "cp437") [RFC1345] will miss
     some important characters, so conformant implementations MUST
     support OEM Code Page 437 as specified in Section 3. NFOs authored
     for more modern computing environments are known to use ISO-8859-1,
     ISO-8859-15 (including support for the Euro sign), or UTF-8;
     however, for maximum interoperability, these or any other character
     sets MUST be declared by the sender. When absent, a receiver MAY
     guess, but SHOULD heavily bias the outcome towards OEM Code Page
     437 unless UTF-8 encoding is patently obvious. A RECOMMENDED
     detection algorithm is provided in Appendix A.

   Optional parameters:

    baud: A natural number (integer greater than 0) indicating the gross
     bit rate at which the NFO is supposed to be rendered to screen.
     This optional parameter provides a nostalgic effect from the days
     of modems and fixed-speed serial lines. It also controls the
     animation rate, to the extent that the NFO employs optional escape
     sequences.

   Encoding considerations:

     Text with 8-bit code points; all 8-bit combinations (including
     perhaps NUL) are possible. Accordingly, text SHOULD be quoted-
     printable or base64 encoded when transmitted over a channel that is
     not 8-bit clean.

   Security considerations:

     None; it's just text. The ANSI escape sequence "CSI 5 m" could,
     however, blink you to death.

   Interoperability considerations:

     NFOs are plain text but look best when read in a terminal view or
     with a dedicated NFO viewer that can emulate terminal features. As
     a result, they SHOULD be treated differently than text/plain files.
     The reference implementation that all NFO viewers SHOULD target is
     an IBM PC-compatible machine running MS-DOS 6.22 with the ANSI.SYS
     MS-DOS device driver loaded, where the NFO is displayed as if it
     were output to the terminal using the "TYPE" command.

   Published specification: This specification.

   Applications that use this media type:

     NFO viewers; text editors; terminals.

   Fragment identifier considerations:

     Same as text/plain [RFC5147]. Note that escape sequences do not
     contribute to the character count [[NB: do they?]], and line breaks
     are treated as one character, regardless of whether CRLF or some
     other code(s) are used.

   Additional information:

     Deprecated alias names for this type: text/x-nfo
     File extension(s): .nfo
     Macintosh file type code(s):
       TEXT. A uniform type identifier (UTI) of "????", which conforms
       to "public.plain-text", is RECOMMENDED.

   Person & email address to contact for further information:

     Sean Leonard <[email-masked]>

   Restrictions on usage: None.

   Author/Change controller: Sean Leonard <[email-masked]>

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Provisional registration? No

---

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 09:11:24 +0000

Surely this should be called text/dos-ascii-art, and could you please finish the markdown debacle before starting a new draft?

Arnt