Subject: [media-types] Review request for application/geo+json media type registration

From: Sean Gillies <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 22:48:07 -0700

Dear all,

The IETF GeoJSON WG seeks to register application/geo+json as the media
type for the GeoJSON format, replacing the previously registered
application/vnd.geo+json media type.

In draft-ietf-geojson-00 (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-geojson-00),
the previously registered media type application/vnd.geo+json appears. The
IANA considerations section of the next version (draft-ietf-geojson-01)
will be this:

9.  IANA Considerations

   The MIME media type for GeoJSON text is application/geo+json.

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: geo+json

   Required parameters: n/a

   Optional parameters: n/a

   Encoding considerations: binary

   Security considerations: See section 5 above

   Interoperability considerations: See section 6 above

   Published specification: draft-ietf-geojson

   Applications that use this media type: various

   Additional information:

      Magic number(s) : n/a

      File extension(s) : .json, .geojson

      Macintosh file type code : TEXT

      Object Identifiers: n/a

   Person to contact for further information:

      Sean Gillies

      [email-masked]

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Restrictions on usage: none

Your comments will be gratefully appreciated.

Yours,

-- 
Sean Gillies

---

From: Mark Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 13:24:33 -0500

The registration itself seems fine, but I'm curious why you're
retiring the original vendor tree type given the following paragraph
from the draft?

]   Since its initial publication in 2008 [GJ2008], the GeoJSON format
]   specification has steadily grown in popularity.  It is widely used in
]   JavaScript web mapping libraries, JSON-based document databases, and
]   web APIs.

---

From: Sean Gillies <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 18:03:16 -0700

The application/vng.geo+json media type was registered before the WG was
chartered and the WG would like a standards tree media type to go with the
standards track format document. I think the WG has also made enough
changes to the format (deprecation of coordinate reference systems and
coordinate position items beyond x, y, and z, for examples) to warrant a
new media type.

-- 
Sean Gillies

---

From: mike amundsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 20:32:10 -0500

Sean:

I suggest marking the application/vnd.geo+json registration *deprecated* in
the docs.

There MAY be some running instances using it and removing it from the
registry isn't needed in order to register to *new* media type (the
standards track edition).

mamund
Mike Amundsen
+1.859.757.1449
skype: mca.amundsen
http://amundsen.com/blog/
http://twitter.com/mamund
https://github.com/mamund
http://linkedin.com/in/mamund

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 8:03 PM, Sean Gillies <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> media-types mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/media-types
>
>

---

From: Paul Libbrecht <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 10:20:37 +0100

Dear Sean,

I'd like to suggest additions in the "Additional Infomation" section.

  Windows clipboard name: GeoJSON
  Macintosh uniform type identifier:  public.geojson conforms to public.json

Such an addition would allow applications that consider exchanging
GeoJSON content to do so by employing such gestures as copy-and-paste or
drag-and-drop. These fields are not (yet) in the process but has been
suggested.

I also believe the line "Macintosh file type code : TEXT" should be
replaced by the value n/a as this identifier system is not in use
anymore (and TEXT is a bit too general).

Paul

> Sean Gillies <mailto:[email-masked]>
> 12 January 2016 at 06:48
> Dear all,
>
> The IETF GeoJSON WG seeks to register application/geo+json as the
> media type for the GeoJSON format, replacing the previously registered
> In draft-ietf-geojson-00
> (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-geojson-00), the previously
> registered media type application/vnd.geo+json appears. The IANA
> considerations section of the next version (draft-ietf-geojson-01)
> will be this:
>
> 9.  IANA Considerations
>
>       [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>
>    Intended usage: COMMON
>

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 12:41:23 +1100

Sean, we could ask IANA to add a note on the vnd. version.
On Jan 13, 2016 12:32 PM, "mike amundsen" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Sean:
>
> I suggest marking the application/vnd.geo+json registration *deprecated*
> in the docs.
>

---

From: Mark Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 09:39:46 -0500

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 8:03 PM, Sean Gillies <[email-masked]> wrote:
> standards track format document.

That seems like a good idea, but IMO is often undesirable because of
the burden it places on existing implementations and publishers. See
RFC 6648 (s/x-/vnd./)

Have implementers and publishers chimed in on the value of this new type?

> I think the WG has also made enough changes
> to the format (deprecation of coordinate reference systems and coordinate
> position items beyond x, y, and z, for examples) to warrant a new media
> type.

Well that could certainly change the balance in favour of a new type.
Could you elaborate on the compatibility between the old and new
formats?

---

From: Erik Wilde <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 09:04:40 -0800

hello mark.

thanks for the feedback.

> Could you elaborate on the compatibility between the old and new

that sounds like a good idea, and 
https://github.com/geojson/draft-geojson/issues/125 is proposing to add 
a section explaining the changes (and that might be useful to have 
regardless of whether there's a new media type or not). so we'll get 
back to you shortly with a first stab of the difference between the 
media types.

cheers,

dret.

-- 
erik wilde | mailto:[email-masked] |
            | http://dret.net/netdret    |
            | http://twitter.com/dret    |