Subject: RE: [mediactrl] RE: mixer protocol req. - general protocol comments

From: "Even, Roni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 11:43:54 GMT

Eric,

I think that we need to decide on the scope of the work. Are we
addressing only IP (RTP?) media sessions or do we support also circuit
switch. For IP do we support only SIP UAs or also H.323 (this is not
relevant to the media server but to the application server and its
decisions)

> 19. The AS shall be able to tell the MS which codecs to use on 
> incoming and out going streams
> 
> [timm] as above, i think this is part of session establishment and out

> of scope for the protocol. service providers that use sip can use the 
> session policy mechanisms currently being developed to define the 
> media policy in their networks.
> 
> RE: The session policy is between the user/administrator and the AS. 
> Now the AS needs to be able to force this policy on the media server. 
> This is the part we are trying to address here.

Well, we do this in the real-world.  However, it is entirely orthogonal
to the control protocol.  Either a service provider does not care, or
they care about all calls being compressed.  We haven't ever seen a
per-session need for this.  Have you?

RE: The requirement will always be met if we select a solution where the
AS is in the signaling path and may change the codecs offered to the MS.

The comments from you or Tim assume UA that talk SIP and that SIP is
used between the AS and MS. 

Roni

--------------------------
Ubiquity Software does not control or endorse the content, messages or information found in this mail list and it specifically disclaims any liability with regard to these communications.
Ubiquity Software reserves the right the restrict access to any communications in violation of the Terms and Conditions of Use for this website or as otherwise deemed improper.

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 15:13:25 GMT

> relevant to the media server but to the application server and its

There are many ways to setup the RTP session are fed in and out of mixers.
SIP, 248 etc and these work for RTP and PSTN connections into the mixer.

It seems like what we want to do is talk about what happens to the
information in the mixer - we already have protocols to connect up the flow
of the information into and out of the box.

> Ubiquity Software does not control or endorse the content, messages or
> information found in this mail list and it specifically disclaims any
> liability with regard to these communications.
> Ubiquity Software reserves the right the restrict access to any communications
> in violation of the Terms and Conditions of Use for this website or as
> otherwise deemed improper.

---

From: Tim Melanchuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 17:28:51 GMT

roni,
i was comfortable with the architecture diagram in your original
document that showed xcon and sip protocols to the AS and rtp
to the MS.
timm
Even, Roni wrote:
Eric,
I think that we need to decide on the scope of the work. Are we
addressing only IP (RTP?) media sessions or do we support also circuit
switch. For IP do we support only SIP UAs or also H.323 (this is not
relevant to the media server but to the application server and its
decisions)