Subject: [mediactrl] notes from this evening's meeting

From: Keith Lantz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 05:29:13 GMT

Attendees:
	Mary Barnes
	Chris Boulton
	Eric Burger
	Martin Dolly
	Roni Even
	Alan Johnston
	Keith Lantz
	Orit Levin
	Tim Melanchuk
	Mark Trayer
The bulk of the discussion focused on how -- in what working group -- to 
conduct this work going forward. Allison suggested that Speechsc be 
re-chartered for this purpose because the area directors are under serious 
pressure NOT to create any more working groups until some existing groups 
finish their work. Similarly, hosting this work in XCON remains off the 
table, since XCON simply can't add more deliverables to its charter until 
it delivers on something it has already signed up for.

Eric immediately resisted Allison's suggestion on multiple grounds, 
including the potential implication that mixer control would necessarily be 
based on MRCP. Two additional objections are: the name itself does not 
suggest anything other than audio, more specifically, speech; and 
bureaucracy alone isn't a great reason to do something that seems (or will 
seem) illogical to many participants.

On the other hand, as discussed on the mailer, the session control 
components of MRCP are a viable candidate for mixer control. Not the 
content of the messages, which will be different than current uses (i.e. 
speech recognition), but the core signaling/session control. Then again, 
most of that can be said to rely on 3PCC, so maybe it's better to think of 
using 3PCC than MRCP. Regardless, this provides SOME basis other than 
bureaucratic nonsense for re-chartering.

Regardless of the outcome of this debate, Alan and Eric encourage continued 
work on the requirements document, for example. Said document should NOT, 
however, assert any intent/bias toward MRCP or any alternative. Eric 
volunteered to write a separate draft explaining how MRCP measures up 
against those requirements.

New topic: Orit asked how this protocol will differ from the XCON protocols.
Tim: Purely focused on media. No policy.
Various: No user interface considerations. No scheduling.
Eric: In theory this work would best not be undertaken until the XCON 
protocols are much better defined... But if were to be really 
bold/aggressive, perhaps this work will help drive the XCON protocol(s).
Martin: Yes, it would be really nice if this work were already done.
Eric: Well, the mediactrl stuff could be used in the relatively near term, 
whereas one should not expect any XCON-compliant products for at least 2.5 
years.

The meeting came to a close as everyone began thinking about dinner.
--------------------------
Ubiquity Software does not control or endorse the content, messages or information found in this mail list and it specifically disclaims any liability with regard to these communications.
Ubiquity Software reserves the right the restrict access to any communications in violation of the Terms and Conditions of Use for this website or as otherwise deemed improper.