Subject: [MEDIACTRL] Control Framework - Issue 1

From: "Chris Boulton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 10:36:12 -0000

Hi All,

Taking the Control Framework as an independent piece of work (not media
server control specific), I think the next version of the document
should include a 'keep-alive' mechanism.  I fully understand that in
most deployments the AS and the MS using the Control Framework will be
co-located and not require this functionality BUT I feel it is an
important inclusion when looking at the bigger picture (NAT/FW
traversal).  Here are some initial thoughts that would be a good
starting point for discussion:

-          The mechanism should be OPTIONAL and be negotiated on initial
set-up of the control channel.

o        I guess it could be switched on/off in subsequent interactions
if required or we could pin it down to the whole session once
negotiated?

o        The expected keep-alive mechanism timeout period should also be
negotiated.

o        Any ideas on where to include the negotiation? - I think it
would probably be appropriate in the SIP negotiation before the channel
is even set-up.  This is where we negotiate the Control packages that
are supported so probably this function as well.  It seems a waste of
effort to me to negotiate the packages at the SIP level - then make the
connection only to find out that a required keep-alive is not supported
and you have to tidy up.

-          How should we construct the keep-alive messages?  I see 2
options:

o        Make use of a very lightweight SIP Control Framework message.
This is my favoured option as I don't want every implementation that
wants to do keep-alive to have to implement a STUN stack that
multiplexes the Control channel.

o        Use STUN multiplexed over the Control Channel (as has been used
for SIP e.g. Outbound).

All comments and discussion welcomed to try and help craft this text
over the coming weeks.

Best Regards,

Chris.

Information contained in this e-mail and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee only, and may contain confidential information of Ubiquity Software Corporation.  All unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the addressee, please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this email.  Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing signed by an officer of Ubiquity Software Corporation, nothing in this communication shall be deemed to be legally binding.  Thank you.

_______________________________________________
MEDIACTRL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl

---

From: "Dolly, Martin C, ALABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 06:19:34 -0600

Chris,
 
A picture would be helpful.
 
Thanks,
 
Martin

________________________________

From: Chris Boulton [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 5:36 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [MEDIACTRL] Control Framework - Issue 1

Hi All,

Best Regards,

Chris.

Information contained in this e-mail and any attachments are intended
for the use of the addressee only, and may contain confidential
information of Ubiquity Software Corporation. All unauthorized use,
disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the
addressee, please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies
of this email.  Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing signed by
an officer of Ubiquity Software Corporation, nothing in this
communication shall be deemed to be legally binding. Thank-you 
_______________________________________________
MEDIACTRL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl