Subject: [MEDIACTRL] MRB - MS Publish Interface

From: "Chris Boulton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 10:43:29 +0100

Hi All,

This is the first of two mails that I will be posting on the topic of
the MRB's associated interfaces.  The idea is to collect relevant high
level information related to the interfaces to help form the basis of
the next version of the draft.  This mail specifically deals with the
Media Server publishing interface, as detailed in the MRB draft (
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-boulton-mediactrl-mrb-00.txt
as (1) in the following diagram.

I would like to brain storm and collect a list of information that would
be useful.  I'm going to throw a few topics in the bucket to get us
rolling.

-          Active RTP sessions (including codec information)

o        For example, 10 G711 RTP sessions, 3 H.264 sessions.

-          Non Active sessions - so sessions available on this MS (based
on codec's supported)

o        For example, 80 G711 RTP session, 120 G729 sessions, 30 H.264
sessions.

-          MS Uptime

-          Codecs/media supported (could just be bundled with above -
'Non Active Sessions').

Your input is greatly appreciated (especially you MS guys).

Chris.

 

Information contained in this e-mail and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee only, and may contain confidential information of Ubiquity Software Corporation. All unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the addressee, please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this email. Ubiquity Software Corporation plc, a company registered under the laws of England and Wales, Registration 2719723, registered offices at Eastern Business Park, Building 3, Wern Fawr Lane, St. Mellons, Cardiff CF3 5EA, Wales, United Kingdom.

_______________________________________________
MEDIACTRL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/mediactrl

---

From: Diego B <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 15:54:44 +0300

Hi;
I will add some mixer capability information,
Like Active mixers:
4: (2 G711, 3 G729), (second mixer and the codecs), (third mixer), ...)

Now, on the non active mixers, I'm not sure how to calculate and express 
this information.

Regards
Diego B

Chris Boulton wrote:
> the MRB’s associated interfaces. The idea is to collect relevant high 
> Media Server publishing interface, as detailed in the MRB draft 
> (http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-boulton-mediactrl-mrb-00.txt 
> I would like to brain storm and collect a list of information that 
> would be useful. I’m going to throw a few topics in the bucket to get 
> us rolling.
>
> - Non Active sessions – so sessions available on this MS (based on 
> codec’s supported)
>
> o For example, 80 G711 RTP session, 120 G729 sessions, 30 H.264 sessions.
>
> - MS Uptime
>
> - Codecs/media supported (could just be bundled with above – ‘Non 
> Active Sessions’).
>
> Information contained in this e-mail and any attachments are intended 
> for the use of the addressee only, and may contain confidential 
> information of Ubiquity Software Corporation. All unauthorized use, 
> disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the 
> addressee, please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies 
> of this email. Ubiquity Software Corporation plc, a company registered 
> under the laws of England and Wales, Registration 2719723, registered 
> offices at Eastern Business Park, Building 3, Wern Fawr Lane, St. 
> Mellons, Cardiff CF3 5EA, Wales, United Kingdom.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: "Syrett, Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 10:54:40 +0200

Hi,

It's going to be fun and complex (I know Chris just loves rat holes) to
try and list model/everything that can use media server resources (CPU
cycles/DSP MIPS). This might work for an basic annoucement server or a
basic conference server - I am not sure for a media server performing
the sort of operations I list below - think this work should be
future-proof.

Ever considered something simple/practical like a CPU% (resource %
usage) and load balancing? When no more resources are available then
QOS/SLA/priority mechanisms are used. Are media servers different here
than any other application resource management and load balancing
problem?

Anyway here is some input on things that may effect media server
resources / ports available:

Audio codecs. Audio RTSP streaming. Audio conferencing. Audio record.
Audio transcoding.

ASR/TTS usage. ASR grammar complexity. Language complexity.

Speaker verification/recognition.

Music recognition.

Audio transformation (mask voice, raise tone, add echo, effects etc.)

VoiceXML dialogs and their complexity.

Encryption of audio/video media streams.

Video transcoding.

Dynamic or static video frame rate, bit rate or picture size adaptation
per multimedia stream.

Video record.

Video RTSP streaming.

Media insertion (audio, video, text, picture, logo, avatar or
background/ambiance) in a multimedia stream.

Video mixing.

Video broadcasting.

Face/shape/image detection/removal.

[I guess this list also gives some implicit input/views on the "What is
a media server?" discussion]

On MS capabilities - how about linking these to packages defined in the
control framework with any addition attributes defined as necessary for
the packages.

Regards,

	Mark

Mark Syrett 
HP OpenCall
www.hp.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Diego B [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 02 August 2007 14:55
To: Chris Boulton
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [MEDIACTRL] MRB - MS Publish Interface

Hi;
I will add some mixer capability information, Like Active mixers:
4: (2 G711, 3 G729), (second mixer and the codecs), (third mixer), ...)

Regards
Diego B

Chris Boulton wrote:
> would be useful. I'm going to throw a few topics in the bucket to get 
> us rolling.
>
> - Non Active sessions - so sessions available on this MS (based on 
> codec's supported)
>
sessions.
>
> - MS Uptime
>
> - Codecs/media supported (could just be bundled with above - 'Non 
> Active Sessions').
>