Subject: [MEDIACTRL] MRB - MS Query Interface

From: "Chris Boulton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 11:04:13 +0100

Hi Again,

Here is part 2 of the MRB discussion.  The idea is to collect relevant
high level information related to the interfaces to help form the basis
of the next version of the draft.  This mail specifically deals with the
Application Server query interface, as detailed in the MRB draft (
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-boulton-mediactrl-mrb-00.txt
as (2) in the following diagram.

 

I would like to brain storm and collect a list of information that would
be useful.  I'm going to throw a few topics in the bucket to get us
rolling.  I'm going to split into two sections - query information and
response information.

Query

-          Query reference number (could be used to re-query later on an
chance parameters)

-          Session Type (IVR, Conf)

-          Codecs + volume required for Session

Response

-          Query reference number

-          MS address

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Chris.

Information contained in this e-mail and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee only, and may contain confidential information of Ubiquity Software Corporation. All unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the addressee, please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this email. Ubiquity Software Corporation plc, a company registered under the laws of England and Wales, Registration 2719723, registered offices at Eastern Business Park, Building 3, Wern Fawr Lane, St. Mellons, Cardiff CF3 5EA, Wales, United Kingdom.

_______________________________________________
MEDIACTRL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/mediactrl

---

From: "Haluska, John J" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 10:08:26 -0400

Chris 

In addition to the generic media processing related information, there
are definitely cases where the AS will want to specify application-level
criteria, which will be application-specific, and difficult to enumerate
in advance. So I'm thinking we need a way to express arbitrary
application specific criteria in addition to the generic media
processing criteria.

For example, the AS may need an MS which is capable of prompting and
performing speech recognition in Swahili. Or, an MS which has the
capability to invoke some application-specific functionality.

John 

________________________________

From: Chris Boulton [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2007 6:04 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [MEDIACTRL] MRB - MS Query Interface

Hi Again,

 

Query

Response

-          Query reference number

-          MS address

Chris.

Information contained in this e-mail and any attachments are intended
for the use of the addressee only, and may contain confidential
information of Ubiquity Software Corporation. All unauthorized use,
disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the
addressee, please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies
of this email. Ubiquity Software Corporation plc, a company registered
under the laws of England and Wales, Registration 2719723, registered
offices at Eastern Business Park, Building 3, Wern Fawr Lane, St.
Mellons, Cardiff CF3 5EA, Wales, United Kingdom.

---

From: "Chris Boulton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 15:44:07 +0100

Sounds reasonable to me.  Added to the bucket.

Chris.

  _____  

From: Haluska, John J [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 02 August 2007 15:08
To: Chris Boulton; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [MEDIACTRL] MRB - MS Query Interface

Chris 

 

John 

  _____  

Hi Again,

 

Query

Response

-          Query reference number

-          MS address

Chris.

---

From: "Haluska, John J" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 11:53:15 -0400

Thanks. We need this on the PUBLISH interface too.

From: Chris Boulton [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2007 10:44 AM
To: Haluska, John J; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [MEDIACTRL] MRB - MS Query Interface

Chris.

Chris 

 

John 

Hi Again,

 

Query

Response

-          Query reference number

-          MS address

Chris.

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 12:33:28 +1000

Hello Chris,

If you are brain storming for ideas on the sort of information that 
would be required then perhaps a few related areas could be of interest. 
I'm not advocating copying any of the syntax or techniques in drafts I 
reference but they could point to the functionality areas that may be 
described.

H.248.9 defines packages for the support of advanced announcement 
servers. I'm not proposing you use those packages but they do define 
syntax for various capabilities: such determining language / gender / 
speed etc. This capabilities would also be relevant for the media 
control interface.
H.248.9 can be found at: 
http://ftp3.itu.int/av-arch/avc-site/2005-2008/0706_Gen/H248_9_amm1.zip

A recent amendment has to H.248.9 has been produced introducing 
functionality for text to speech, automatic speech recognition and 
multimedia announcements. This enhanced functionality has used the work 
of W3C to describe what needs to be done. The relevant work here is:
Speech Synthesis Markup Language (SSML)
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-speech-synthesis-20040907/

Speech recognition grammar specification (SRGS) 
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-speech-grammar-20040316/

Extensible multimodal annotation markup language (EMMA) 
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-emma-20070409/

H.248.19 also describes audio, video and data conferencing packages. 
(http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-H.248.19/en) this may be of interest for 
capabilities.

With regards to different mixing configurations some work has been 
completed describing this is in H.248 terms. See: 
http://ftp3.itu.int/av-arch/avc-site/2005-2008/0706_Gen/H248_51.zip . It 
may be of interest for the Media server to report what sort connection 
configurations (mixes) they can support.

Which media server has which tones may also be of interest. Sending and 
detection of tones is the subject of various H.248 packages.

Sorry for the brain dump, it didn't identify whether its of use to the 
query or publish sections, hopefully its of use.

Regards, Christian

Haluska, John J wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> *From:* Chris Boulton [mailto:[email-masked]]
> *Sent:* Thursday, August 02, 2007 10:44 AM
> *To:* Haluska, John J; [email-masked]
> *Subject:* RE: [MEDIACTRL] MRB - MS Query Interface
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> *From:* Haluska, John J [mailto:[email-masked]]
> *Sent:* 02 August 2007 15:08
> *To:* Chris Boulton; [email-masked]
> *Subject:* RE: [MEDIACTRL] MRB - MS Query Interface
>
> Chris
>
> are definitely cases where the AS will want to specify 
> application-level criteria, which will be application-specific, and 
> difficult to enumerate in advance. So I’m thinking we need a way to 
> express arbitrary application specific criteria in addition to the 
> generic media processing criteria.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> *From:* Chris Boulton [mailto:[email-masked]]
> *Sent:* Thursday, August 02, 2007 6:04 AM
> *To:* [email-masked]
> *Subject:* [MEDIACTRL] MRB - MS Query Interface
>
> Hi Again,
>
> high level information related to the interfaces to help form the 
> basis of the next version of the draft. This mail specifically deals 
> with the Application Server query interface, as detailed in the MRB 
> draft 
> (http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-boulton-mediactrl-mrb-00.txt 
> I would like to brain storm and collect a list of information that 
> would be useful. I’m going to throw a few topics in the bucket to get 
> us rolling. I’m going to split into two sections – query information 
> and response information.
>
> Query
>
> - Query reference number (could be used to re-query later on an chance 
> parameters)
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: "Syrett, Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 11:30:51 +0200

Hi,
 
with the query I think you will need:
 
An end-user related application/service id or a way of deriving this
(say from the request URI).
It's associated SLA/QoS/Priority information.
 
If media resources are shared then the MRB/MS might have to free up
resources used by a low priority service for say a premium conferencing
service and/or assign MS resources based on priority/QoS/SLA.
 
BR,
 
    Mark
 
Mark Syrett 

HP OpenCall
www.hp.com <http://www.hp.com/> 

From: Chris Boulton [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 02 August 2007 12:04
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [MEDIACTRL] MRB - MS Query Interface

Hi Again,

 

Query

Response

-          Query reference number

-          MS address

Chris.