Subject: [MEDIACTRL] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mediactrl-architecture-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 17:15:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Media Server Control Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: An Architectural Framework for Media  Server Control
	Author(s)	: T. Melanchuk
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mediactrl-architecture-01.txt
	Pages		: 29
	Date		: 2007-11-20
	
This document describes an Architectural Framework for Media Server
   Control.  The primary focus will be to define logical entities that
   exist within the context of Media Server control, and define the
   appropriate naming conventions and interactions between them.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mediactrl-architecture-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-mediactrl-architecture-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mediactrl-architecture-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
MEDIACTRL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/mediactrl

---

From: Lorenzo Miniero <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:57:37 +0100

Reading it again, I think I have a comment upon the conferencing section 
I contributed to. The 6.2 paragraph is probably incorrect by stating 
that the 3PCC mechanism alone is always used to add participants to a 
conference. While it may be right in other cases, in MediaCtrl the 
proper way to do such is probably doing the following:

	1. the AS uses 3PCC to attach a UAC to the MS, as always;
	2. the AS uses other means (e.g. the conferencing package) to actually 
join the newly created UAC media leg(s) to a conference when it 
needs/wants to.

This also allows subsequent and/or previous manipulation of the leg in 
other contexts, without explicitely binding it to a conferencing 
scenario as the paragraph suggests. By saying 'other contexts' I'm 
thinking for instance to IVR menus that take place before the join of a 
conference, as prompting for a PIN and so on, or having the join to a 
conference only as one of the possible branches of an IVR menu, and so 
on. Of course, this also means that between the AS and the MS it is not 
important which SIP URI is used (as it is instead between the UAC and 
the AS, since it selects the service to provide), considering that the 
join to a specific conference is accomplished through the control 
channel and not using the URI itself.

I think this may need to be reflected in the draft. About the rest, my 
opinion is that the draft is fine the way it is.

Lorenzo

[email-masked] ha scritto:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>