Subject: Re: [MEDIACTRL] status of draft-ietf-mediactrl-sip-control-framework

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:22:54 -0500

It turns out the following version of the draft removed the extensions to
SIP.  There was a brief thread on the SIP list, which Keith summarized thus:

=====================
The SIP, SIPPING and MEDIACTRL chairs (or at least a representative
collection of them) did get together to consider this issue, and decided
that as the work (as currently proposed) did not in fact extend SIP, that
MEDIACTRL should retain the work.

SDP extensions are proposed to MMUSIC, and that would appear to be
appropriate.

At some point when the work is complete enough for review, it was agreed
that RAI wide review of this document should occur, and one of the review
experts in the SIP WG will be jumped on at that point to review the
solution.

We did not discuss whether the solution adopted by the draft was the correct
solution - if people in the SIP WG have concerns, then please address them
to the MEDIACTRL WG. If you are not participants in that WG then we (the SIP
chairs) will be pleased to forward on comments.

Regards

Keith

PS: My understanding of the various charters is that SIP does not generate
requirements for development of SIP, except in the security area. However it
can charter work based on requirements from any appropriate working group,
which includes among others, both SIPPING and MEDIACTRL. I suspect the ADs
would want to be confident that the appropriate experts had contributed to
the appropriate requirements.

On 1/30/08 10:56 AM, "Brett Tate" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Greetings,
> 
> I'm curious about the status and future of
> draft-ietf-mediactrl-sip-control-framework.
> 
> Eric's email
> (http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mediactrl/current/msg00654.html)
> appears to mention that the draft is basically becoming a requirements
> document for use by the SIP working group.  Does the comment apply to
> all aspects of the document or only the potential SIP changes required
> to setup the media-control session?  More specifically, is the
> media-control session currently expected to be SIP or non SIP?
> 
> Incase there has been discussion with the SIP working group, what are
> the currently proposed target dates to fulfill the SIP requirements from
> draft-ietf-mediactrl-sip-control-framework?
> 
> Thanks,
> Brett

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.
_______________________________________________
MEDIACTRL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/mediactrl