Subject: [MEDIACTRL] question on the MRB Publish Interface

From: "MUNSON, GARY A (GARY A)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 16:54:39 -0400

Chris and folks,

On the MRB Publish Interface topic, there's an issue that I would
appreciate some discussion around.

(This isn't really new, but I don't expect anyone to recall it from
before.)

When we talk about the Publish interface, are we talking specifically
about MRB-MS, or more generally MRB-'X' where X could be MS or, say, an
OSS?

The reason for the question is that MRB can't know everything it needs
to know directly from the MS resources themselves. For example:
- allocation rules among applications

- reservations (e.g. for conferencing)

- deployment of additional MS resources to be available in the future
(related to the reservation theme)
- scheduled and unscheduled MS downtime

If we're looking at MRB-'X', then those would be in scope, and it might
influence overall choice of protocol in one direction. If we're looking
at MRB-MS, then those are out of scope, and it might conceivably
influence choice of protocol in another direction. I have a preference
for MRB-'X', although not a strong one.

I realize that the figures in the current draft illustrate MRB-MS. But
the text in Section 5.1 on the Publish Interface has a more general
feeling...

cheers,

Gary

(P.S. I didn't do a Reply to your original MRB Discussion - Publish
Interface email because you were looking for a specific format of reply
there, and I didn't want to 'contaminate' that particular thread.)

_______________________________________________
MEDIACTRL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/mediactrl