Subject: Re: [MEDIACTRL] I-D Action:draft-ietf-mediactrl-sip-control-framework-06.txt

From: "McGlashan, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 17:02:54 +0000

Chris,

An issue arose when Lorenzo and I were doing some implementation testing. It concerns the ABNF in Section 9.1.

I would like to see

control-content = data CRLF

data = *OCTET

Replaced with

control-content = *OCTET

i.e. control-content no longer includes CRLF outside the data octets. No other text changes are required.

The rationale is that Content-Length specifies the length of octet data in the content body. There is no reason to have an additional CRLF outside the octet data as we have currently defined. Moreover, this change aligns our protocol with text-based protocols like SIP and HTTP and make the spec clearer for implementators.

Thanks

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Boulton [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2008 14:08
To: [email-masked]
Cc: McGlashan, Scott; [email-masked]; Spencer Dawkins; [email-masked]
Subject: FW: I-D Action:draft-ietf-mediactrl-sip-control-framework-06.txt

All,

As you can see an '06' version of the draft has been submitted in time for the F2F.  There are no functional changes to the spec - just some editing of the IANA section (see changes section in draft).

Chris.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: 31 October 2008 13:00
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-mediactrl-sip-control-framework-06.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Media Server Control Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Media Control Channel Framework
        Author(s)       : C. Boulton, et al.
        Filename        :
draft-ietf-mediactrl-sip-control-framework-06.txt
        Pages           : 51
        Date            : 2008-10-31

This document describes a Framework and protocol for application deployment where the application programming logic and processing are distributed.  This implies that application programming logic can seamlessly gain access to appropriate resources that are not co- located on the same physical network entity.  The framework uses the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) to establish an application-level control mechanism between application servers and associated external servers such as media servers.
The motivation for the creation of this Framework is to provide an interface suitable to meet the requirements of a distributed, centralized conference system, as defined by the IETF.  It is not, however, limited to this scope and it is envisioned that this generic Framework will be used for a wide variety of de-coupled control architectures between network entities.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mediactrl-sip-control-fra
mework-06.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
MEDIACTRL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/mediactrl

---

From: "Chris Boulton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:17:49 -0000

Agreed.  Unless someone shouts!!!!

Chris.

-----Original Message-----
From: McGlashan, Scott [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 10 November 2008 17:03
To: Chris Boulton
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: I-D
Action:draft-ietf-mediactrl-sip-control-framework-06.txt 

Chris,

An issue arose when Lorenzo and I were doing some implementation
testing. It concerns the ABNF in Section 9.1.

I would like to see

data = *OCTET

Replaced with

control-content = *OCTET

i.e. control-content no longer includes CRLF outside the data octets. No
other text changes are required.

The rationale is that Content-Length specifies the length of octet data
in the content body. There is no reason to have an additional CRLF
outside the octet data as we have currently defined. Moreover, this
change aligns our protocol with text-based protocols like SIP and HTTP
and make the spec clearer for implementators.

Thanks

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Boulton [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2008 14:08
To: [email-masked]
Cc: McGlashan, Scott; [email-masked]; Spencer Dawkins;
[email-masked]
Subject: FW: I-D
Action:draft-ietf-mediactrl-sip-control-framework-06.txt

All,

As you can see an '06' version of the draft has been submitted in time
for the F2F.  There are no functional changes to the spec - just some
editing of the IANA section (see changes section in draft).

Chris.

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Media Server Control Working Group of
the IETF.

This document describes a Framework and protocol for application
deployment where the application programming logic and processing are
distributed.  This implies that application programming logic can
seamlessly gain access to appropriate resources that are not co- located
on the same physical network entity.  The framework uses the Session
Initiation Protocol (SIP) to establish an application-level control
mechanism between application servers and associated external servers
such as media servers.
The motivation for the creation of this Framework is to provide an
interface suitable to meet the requirements of a distributed,
centralized conference system, as defined by the IETF.  It is not,
however, limited to this scope and it is envisioned that this generic
Framework will be used for a wide variety of de-coupled control
architectures between network entities.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
MEDIACTRL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/mediactrl

---

From: "Steve Buko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:57:50 -0500

Scott, Chris

I have a comment regarding the framework draft.

In section 16.1 of the control framework draft, it defines the
connectionid to be

               'Local Dialog tag' + '~' + 'Remote Dialog tag'

This is from the App Servers perspective I assume.  
Do you think that point is clear?  It wasn't clear to me during my proof
of concept work.  
I created the connectionid from the MS perspective and had the tags
reversed.  

Steve

---

From: "Chris Boulton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 10:11:54 -0000

Scott, Chris

[Chris Boulton] I did think it was clear BUT it obviously isn't :-).
You are correct that the 'id' changes on directionality.  If you don't
think that it's clear enough with ONLY the reference to RFC 3261 then I
can certainly add some text.

Steve

---

From: "Steve Buko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:07:29 -0500

I wouldn't say that adding clarifying text is required, but if you are
in there making changes and plan to rev the draft, a little
clarification might be helpful.

You might want to get opinions from others on this as well.  If everyone
else thinks it's clear, then I'm fine with it.

|-----Original Message-----
|From: Chris Boulton [mailto:[email-masked]]
|Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 5:12 AM
|To: Steve Buko; McGlashan, Scott
|Cc: [email-masked]
|Subject: RE: [MEDIACTRL] I-DAction:draft-ietf-mediactrl-sip-control-
|framework-06.txt
|
|Scott, Chris
|
|
|I have a comment regarding the framework draft.
|
|
|In section 16.1 of the control framework draft, it defines the
|connectionid to be
|
|               'Local Dialog tag' + '~' + 'Remote Dialog tag'
|
|This is from the App Servers perspective I assume.
|Do you think that point is clear?  It wasn't clear to me during my
proof
|of concept work.
|I created the connectionid from the MS perspective and had the tags
|reversed.
|
|[Chris Boulton] I did think it was clear BUT it obviously isn't :-).
|You are correct that the 'id' changes on directionality.  If you don't
|think that it's clear enough with ONLY the reference to RFC 3261 then I
|can certainly add some text.
|
|Steve
_______________________________________________
MEDIACTRL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/mediactrl