Subject: [MEDIACTRL] more on Consumer Interface

From: "MUNSON, GARY A, ATTLABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 23:12:44 -0400

In association with the March 28 emails questioning items for the MRB
Consumer Interface, here are two additional items  - I don't know to
what extent there has been thinking/discussion around these; they have
probably been mentioned before. We think they're important to include on
the interface.

a) an 'abstract' characteristic that essentially lets an application/AS
say "I want a blue MS" or I want a red MS" or "I want a green MS", where
'blue', 'red' and 'green' all implicitly convey some pre-defined set of
technical characteristics; from a management point of view, this can
help simplify programming in an AS and MS selection in MRB; the meaning
of blue/red/green are defined on a per service provider basis
b) an ability to specify a preference "A else B else C" for any
characteristic; that way if there truly are tolerable alternatives, it's
more efficient than an AS asking for A, being denied, then asking for B,
etc.
     
Side note: we're also seeing a need for an AS to specify a particular
'acoustic model' related to speech recognition. There may be, e.g., one
model for English and Spanish that is typically available on all MS, but
there may be a different one for Vietnamese that would only be on some
MS. (The language grammars may be fetchable for any language or
cacheable.) Different acoustic models may also be used for
wireless-originated calls versus wireline-originated. It's difficult to
say how complicated this gets, but could be addressed on a per-service
provider basis using (a) above.

cheers,

Gary

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 16:18:01 -0500

OK to take everything Gary says?  Fine with me.

On Apr 6, 2009, at 10:12 PM, MUNSON, GARY A, ATTLABS wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> MEDIACTRL mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl
> Supplemental Web Site:
> http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/mediactrl

---

From: Chris Boulton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 10:08:59 +0100

Agreed.

Chris.

On Apr 6, 2009, at 10:12 PM, MUNSON, GARY A, ATTLABS wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com 
> Version: 8.5.285 / Virus Database: 270.11.59/2064 - Release Date: 04/17/09 07:08:00
>
>