Subject: [MEDIACTRL] Publishing Interface!!!!

From: Chris Boulton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 17:54:36 +0100

All,

As mentioned in my previous mail - this is intended to trigger 
discussion related to the Publishing interface that is being defined in 
the latest MRB document.  For those who are not sure, go take a look at 
the latest version 
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mediactrl-mrb-00.txt).  
Currently the interface has the following listed definitions:

 o  Active RTP sessions (including codec information).  For example,
      10 G711 RTP sessions, 3 H.264 sessions.

   o  Active Mixers.  For example F4: (2 G711, 3 G729), (second mixer
      and the codecs), (third mixer), ...).

   o  Non Active sessions - so sessions available on this MS (based on
      codecs supported).  For example, 80 G711 RTP session,120 G729
      sessions,30 H.264 sessions.

   o  MS Uptime.

   o  Codecs/media supported (could just be bundled with above 'Non
      Active Sessions'.

   o  In addition to the generic media processing related information,
      there are definitely cases where the AS will want to specify
      application-level criteria, which will be application-specific,
      and difficult to enumerate in advance.  So I'm thinking we need a
      way to express arbitrary application specific criteria in addition
      to the generic media processing criteria.  For example, the AS may
      need an MS which is capable of prompting and performing speech
      recognition in Swahili.  Or, an MS which has the capability to
      invoke some application-specific functionality.

   o  File formats supported for announcement.  E.g.: MP3, WAW etc...
      May be this information is enough to determine announcement format
      supported i.e. audio or video.

   o  Maximum duration for an announcement.  Media servers can have
      restrictions on memory to play the announcements for very long
      durations.

   o  Variable announcements.  Where the substitution variable can be
      time, date, cost etc.

   o  DTMF detection and generation support.

   o  Types of mixing (conference supported) audio, video.

   o  Supported tone types in the Media Server.  Different countries may
      have different characteristics for the same tone.  So the tone
      characteristics can be configured in the media server or can be
      downloaded.  Capability to play the tone in both directions may be
      required for conferencing applications.  E.g. playing a tone when
      a new participant joins in the conference.  The tone needs to be
      played towards the existing participants and also towards the new
      participant.

   o  Audio RTSP streaming.  Audio conferencing.  Audio record.  Audio
      transcoding.

   o  ASR/TTS usage.  ASR grammar complexity.  Language complexity.

   o  Speaker verification/recognition.

   o  Music recognition.

   o  Audio transformation (mask voice, raise tone, add echo, effects
      etc.)

   o  VoiceXML dialogs and their complexity.

   o  Encryption of audio/video media streams.

   o  Video transcoding.

   o  Dynamic or static video frame rate, bit rate or picture size
      adaptation per multimedia stream.

   o  Video record.

   o  Video RTSP streaming.

   o  Media insertion (audio, video, text, picture, logo, avatar or
      background/ambiance) in a multimedia stream.

   o  Video mixing.

   o  Video broadcasting.

   o  Face/shape/image detection/removal.

Please take time to look through the list and:

a) comment if you think something major is missing from the definition.
b) comment if you think something is wrong that is currently listed.
c) comment if you think something is not clear and needs an explanation 
to justify its inclusion.
d) You are happy with most things listed (this is just as important).

Thanks.

Chris and Lorenzo.