Subject: [MEDIACTRL] Protocol Action: 'Media Resource Brokering' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mediactrl-mrb-19.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 13:28:01 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Media Resource Brokering'
  (draft-ietf-mediactrl-mrb-19.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Media Server Control Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Robert Sparks and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mediactrl-mrb/

Technical Summary

  The MediaCtrl work group in the IETF has proposed an architecture for
  controlling media services.  The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) is
  used as the signalling protocol which provides many inherent
  capabilities for message routing.  In addition to such signalling
  properties, a need exists for intelligent, application level media
  service selection based on non-static signalling properties.  This is
  especially true when considered in conjunction with deployment
  architectures that include 1:M and M:N combinations of Application
  Servers and Media Servers.  This document introduces a Media Resource
  Broker (MRB) entity which manages the availability of Media Servers
  and the media resource demands of Application Servers.  The document
  includes potential deployment options for an MRB and appropriate
  interfaces to Application Servers and Media Servers.

Working Group Summary

  The working group consensus on this document is solid.  Two
  WGLCs were held, one after the initial consensus on the
  document, and one after extensive review and implementation
  experience dictated a number of small improvements to the
  protocol and its description.

Document Quality

  The protocol described in this document has been implemented
  by several major vendors.  The description has also been
  carefully reviewed by someone not involved in its writing or
  implementation.

Personnel

  Dale Worley is the document's shepherd.
  Robert Sparks is the responsible AD.