Subject: Telcordia SG 16: Comments on Command Error Codes, 7.3 of H.248

From: Selvam Rengasami <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 09:09:25 -0500

When the MGC requests the MG to add a physical termination to a context, let us
say, an analog line, it is possible that the actual physical interface from the
MG to the customer premises could use one of a number of transport technologies
(e.g., Integrated Digital Loop Carrier [IDLC] as defined in ITU-T Recommendation
G.xxx).  In some cases, it may be possible for the actual line to be in-service,
but there may be congestion in the path to the physical line.  An error code is
needed to report such a case to the MGC (e.g., access facility busy) as a
response to an AddRequest command.

The following command error code should be added to Section 7.3:

      532 Access Facility Busy.

Section 3.4 of a Telcordia Technologies contribution to SG 16 (which can be
found at
ftp://standard.pictel.com/avc-site/Incoming/telcordia-h248-misc-cmts.DOC )
provides a proposal for clarifying this issue.

-Selvam Rengasami
Telcordia Technologies
Tel:  +1 732 758 5260
E-mail:  [email-masked]