Subject: Root Package

From: Chip Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 17:17:03 -0500

Section:        6.2.3
Category:       Open Issue
Issue:          The draft text does not address packages adding properties to root. 
This issue was identified by the IETF editor but has not yet been resolved 
(issue 3). The issue is, that some packages need a property which is the 
same for all terminations that implement the package. Quantify of is an 
example, or bandwidth perhaps.
Discussion:             A continuation of the discussion that has occurred on the 
Megaco mailing list so far is needed in order to resolve the issue.

v13 Status:             Partially CLOSED ? Section 6.2.4 states that “A property may 
be declared as “Global” which has a single value shared by all terminations 
realizing the package”. Not clear how this value is synchronized between 
terminations as there are no rules for how and when updates can be made 
(e.g. by multiple terminations simultaneously ?).  There are no procedures 
in Section 12 on how to declare a value as Global.
Suggested Text is welcome.

Section:        8.2.3, third paragraph
Category:       Technical
Issue:          The draft text specifies that “A property of root 
(normalMGExecutionTime) is settable…Another property 
(normalMGCExecutionTime) is settable…”. Neither of these properties are 
defined anywhere else and their definition as stated here are slightly 
inaccurate as they ignore network transit time.
Proposal:       It is recommended that a Base Root Package with these properties 
are defined. Furthermore, it is recommended to clarify the description of 
these two properties to reflect the fact that they only account for 
processing time in a node and do not include any network delays, thus they 
do specify an absolute value for when a response might be expected.

v13 Status:     SEMI-CLOSED. A base root package with the two properties has 
been defined.  Suggest adding the following text to the description of each 
timer:  "This timer must take into account processing delay in the (MGC or 
MG) in addition to network transit delay."

Section:        D.1.4, second paragraph
Category:       Technical
Issue:          The draft text specifies that “The root termination has a property 
(ProvisionalResponseTimerValue), which can be set to the requested…”. 
However, this property is not defined anywhere else in the document.
Proposal:       It is recommended that a Base Root Package with this property is 
defined.

v13 Status:     CLOSED.  Added to root package E.2.1.

Support NetAid!  http://www.netaid.org
--------------------------------------------------
Chip Sharp                 Consulting Engineering
Cisco Systems              Telco Bio-region
Reality - Love it or Leave it.          	
--------------------------------------------------

---

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 13:04:49 -0500

I'd suggest the following resolution: Global properties can be set only by
provisioning.  A fallback is to say they require a Modify applied to the
ROOT termination, but I'd leave that to v2 and more experience.

                    From:         Chip Sharp <[email-masked]>
                    Subject:      Root Package
                    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1";
format=flowed

                    Section:        6.2.3
                    Category:       Open Issue
                    Issue:          The draft text does not address packages
adding properties to root.
                    This issue was identified by the IETF editor but has not
yet been resolved
                    (issue 3). The issue is, that some packages need a
property which is the
                    same for all terminations that implement the package.
Quantify of is an
                    example, or bandwidth perhaps.
                    Discussion:             A continuation of the discussion
that has occurred on the
                    Megaco mailing list so far is needed in order to resolve
the issue.

                    v13 Status:             Partially CLOSED ? Section 6.2.4
states that "A property may
                    be declared as "Global" which has a single value shared
by all terminations
                    realizing the package". Not clear how this value is
synchronized between
                    terminations as there are no rules for how and when
updates can be made
                    (e.g. by multiple terminations simultaneously ?).  There
are no procedures
                    in Section 12 on how to declare a value as Global.
                    Suggested Text is welcome.

Tom Taylor
Advisor -- IPConnect Standards
E-mail: [email-masked] (internally, Tom-PT Taylor)
Phone and FAX: +1 613 736 0961

---

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 16:23:49 -0500

Re: Globals

Globals behave like global variables in a program.  If they are
changed by one piece of code, the change is visible in other
pieces.  If two parts change it "simultaneously", the result is
"unpredictable".  It's of course completely predictable, but
the writer of the code won't know.  So, the usual dictum applies
-don't change global variables unless you know what you are doing.

The problem has existed since the invention of subroutines, and
continues to this day.  Don't expect any miracles.

The next version states Global is declared in "Characteristics"

I think, pending review of the above mentioned text, that we
declare this closed.

The other item (do processing times include network delay), I agree
is still open.  We have waffled a bit on this, and I'm as guilty as
the next.  Either times include an estimate of network delay or they
don't.  Note that both ends MUST have an idea of network delay, or
timers don't work.  So, I suspect whether the values include it
or not is a don't care, and we should just decide and make the text
consistent.

Brian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Chip Sharp [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2000 5:17 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Root Package
>
>
> Section:        6.2.3
> Category:       Open Issue
> be declared as "Global" which has a single value shared by
> all terminations
> Issue:          The draft text specifies that "A property of root
> (normalMGExecutionTime) is settable...Another property
> (normalMGCExecutionTime) is settable...". Neither of these
> properties are
> Issue:          The draft text specifies that "The root
> termination has a property
> (ProvisionalResponseTimerValue), which can be set to the requested...".