Subject: Telcordia SG 16: Questions on Clause 7.1.9 of H.248

From: Selvam Rengasami <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 09:31:58 -0500

This e-mail was accidently sent using a different subject line titled "Telcordia
SG 16: Additional Call Information Needed in H.248".  Please ignore the second
e-mail with the title "Telcordia SG 16: Additional Call Information Needed in
H.248".

I apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

-Selvam

-
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to Section 7.1.9, can an embedded EventsDescriptor contain an embedded
SignalsDescriptor?

If it can, then the following is possible:  SignalsDescriptor (embedded Events
Descriptor [embedded SignalsDescriptor]). In addition, then the following should
be added to the next to last paragraph of 7.1.9:

An embedded SignalsDescriptor may contain an embedded EventsDescriptor and vice
versa.  However, only two levels of embedding are permitted.  For example, an
embedded EventsDescriptor contained within an embedded Signals Descriptor shall
not itself contain an embedded SignalsDescriptor.

If this is not allowed, then the following should be added to the next to last
paragraph of 7.1.9:

An embedded SignalsDescriptor shall not contain an embedded EventsDescriptor.

Section 3.2 of a Telcordia Technologies contribution to SG 16 (which can be
found at
ftp://standard.pictel.com/avc-site/Incoming/telcordia-h248-misc-cmts.DOC )
provides proposals for clarifying this issue.

-Selvam Rengasami
Telcordia Technologies
Tel:  +1 732 758 5260
E-mail:  [email-masked]

---

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 13:38:39 -0500

Current text and ABNF do not allow embedding in signals descriptors.  As a
result, the second level of embedding cannot happen and the text needs no
clarification.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Selvam Rengasami [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2000 9:32 AM
> To:   [email-masked]
> Subject:      Telcordia SG 16: Questions on Clause 7.1.9 of H.248
>
        [[TomT]]  ...