Subject: Re: Telcordia SG16: Additional Notification from the MG to the MG C

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 12:45:24 -0600

>
> When an ATM core network connection fails during the active state of a
> call, how
> does the network and call recover from this situation if at all?  Does the
> MG
> notify the MGC of this failure?  Does the MG that initiated the connection
> re-attempt the connection to the remote MG or do we wait until the caller
> or
> called party determines that the call has failed and sends a clearing
> indication
> to the network?
        [[TomT]]
        This may depend on implementation.  If the MG is designed to set up
and maintain the ATM connection itself, it may recover without telling the
MGC about the failure (but should report it in statistics sent up at the end
of the call).  More likely in my mind, the MG should send up a ServiceChange
indicating that the termination has failed and leave it up to the MGC to
decide what to do next.

> Another situation is the MG that is the recipient of the ATM connection
> request
> through the core network (e.g., it receives the ATM SETUP message and
> responds
> with an ATM CONNECT message).  In this case, this MG does not have a way
> to
> inform its serving MGC that the ATM connection has been established.
        [[TomT]]
        I'm waiting for the MSF to submit the ATM package they are supposed
to be sending us.  Nortel has submitted one already, and Cisco says another
is on the way (not sure of the authorship).

> At least two additional notifications may need to be supported between the
> MG
> and the MGC:
>