Subject: Comments on v13 draft

From: Harpreet Singh Anand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 17:59:00 +0530

Hello Brian,

Some editorial comments / issues on v13 draft:

1. In the v13 draft, there is no mention of audit of ephemeral terminations
(Washington Issue #1). Has this idea been dropped ?

2. SDP related:

 - Details on the changes required in the SDP grammer (symbol to be used for
wildcard etc.) are missing.

 - The specification should give details of the SDP fields (example network
type, media type, transport type, any
additional attributes) that would be used in MEGACOP. Similar information has
been provided in MGCP and is useful
for achieving interoperability. Similarly ATM bearer description in SDP should
also be defined (or a pointer given to
the relevant document).

3. For audit value what is the difference between ObservedEventsDescriptor and
EventBuffer Descriptor. Only
EventBuffer Descriptor should be sufficient. Similarly for Audit Capabilities,
what would be returned in
EventBufferDescriptor ?

4. Section 7.3: Error Codes 466, 467: There is no need of sending these error
descriptors as these are supposed to be
handled by the ALF and is not an error condition.

5. Sec 7.1.12:  Audit Descriptor: Media Descriptor has been removed from the
list of items that can be send in Audit
Descriptor. However, it has not been removed from the ABNF rules
(auditReturnParameter and auditItem).

6. Sec 7.1.12: Audit Descriptor: Event Buffer descriptor should be added to the
table.

7. Sec 7.1.18: Second paragraph: "The Topology Descriptor precedes any commands
within an action. ". However
according to the ABNF rule, actionRequest, context properties can come only
before the first command.

8. Sec 7.2.5: Audit Value:  Second paragraph: "If the TerminationId is
wildcarded, only one command return is
generated, with the contents containing the union of the values of all
Terminations matching the wildcard.". This can be
rephrased as " If the command is wildcarded, ….". Same comment for Sec 7.2.6

9. Section 7.2.8:  " 6. Failover – sent from MG to MGC to indicate the primary
MG is out of service and a secondary
MG is taking over." Failover is also used by MG when the MGC initiates
switchover, in this Failover indicates that the
active MGC is going out of service and it is redirecting MG to connect to a
separate MGC.

10. Section 7.2.8: Summary of use of properties in the Service Descriptor:
"Profile required if terminationID is not
ROOT, optional otherwise". Shouldn't this be the other way round that is
"Profile required if terminationID is
ROOT, optional otherwise"

11. Section 8.2.2: "If a command is marked as optional, the MG has the choice of
executing it or not, and if it does
execute it, it returns the Response, or Error. " This line should be removed.

ABNF related:

1. Sec 7.1.5; This section mentions that the properties can take a value CHOOSE.
But the ABNF rule parmValue does
not allow choose.

2. Sec 7.1.7: LocalControl Descriptor: reserve has been defined as a parameter
to LocalControl Descriptor but is is
missing in the ABNF.

3.  Sec 7.1.14: The new text in DigitMap Descriptor section explains that the
possible letters in the digit map string can
be from A to k but the same has not been reflected in the ABNF.

Regards,
Harpreet

_________________________________
Harpreet Singh Anand
Ficon Technology
E-mail :  mailto:[email-masked]
Web    :  http://www.ficon-tech.com

---

From: John Segers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 16:28:07 +0100

Harpreet,

I realize that I'm not Brian, but would like to comment on some of the
points you raise nevertheless :)

Cheers,

John

> (Washington Issue #1). Has this idea been dropped ?

I remember the lively discussions in Washington, but only part of the
proposed resolution (a ROOT property).  Tom and/or Brian may be able to
take this one.

> also be defined (or a pointer given to

The usual mode of operation is that Brian handles the text/SDP related
stuff and I focus on the binary.  So, again, I call upon Brian to take
up this question.
 
> what would be returned in

Yes, there's something strange here.  How about this:

- When EventBuffer descriptor is included in a request from MGC to MG,
it indicates which events the MG must detect when no Events descriptor
is active.
- When an MG is audited by means of AuditValue, it returns events that
are in the buffer in ObservedEvents descriptor
- When an MG is audited by means of AuditValue, it returns the events
that it will detect when no Events descriptor is active in EventBuffer
descriptor.

> handled by the ALF and is not an error condition.

Does the ALF protect against the megaco application sending duplicate
requests?

> (auditReturnParameter and auditItem).

Actually, it seems that Media descriptor wasn't in the table in v12
either.  I added it.

> 6. Sec 7.1.12: Audit Descriptor: Event Buffer descriptor should be added to the

Yes.

> before the first command.

Uncareful use of language on my part.  Change to "The Topology
Descriptor precedes the commands of an action." ok?

> rephrased as " If the command is wildcarded, ….". Same comment for Sec 7.2.6

I think you're right.  How about "If a wildcarded response is requested,
[...]"?

> active MGC is going out of service and it is redirecting MG to connect to a

Absolutely right.

> ROOT, optional otherwise"

Yes.

> execute it, it returns the Response, or Error. " This line should be removed.

Ok.

> But the ABNF rule parmValue does

You're right.  I'll leave it to the ABNF experts to deal with this.  The
ASN.1 allows CHOOSE value to be used.

> to LocalControl Descriptor but is is

You're right.  I'll leave it to the ABNF experts.  ASN.1 is fixed.

> be from A to k but the same has not been reflected in the ABNF.

You're right.  I'll leave it to the ABNF experts.

-- 
John Segers                                  email: [email-masked]
Lucent Technologies                                        Room HE 306
Dept. Forward Looking Work                      phone: +31 35 687 4724
P.O. Box 18, 1270 AA  Huizen                      fax: +31 35 687 5954

---

From: Harpreet Singh Anand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 19:29:15 +0530

John,

> points you raise nevertheless :)

Thanks for the reply.

> that it will detect when no Events descriptor is active in EventBuffer

I believe that in the last bullet you meant AuditCapability. But even then what will
happen if the AuidtCpabaility is sent when the Event descriptor is active - will the
events be sent in ObservedEvents Descriptor ?

> Does the ALF protect against the megaco application sending duplicate

Yes, it does.

> Actually, it seems that Media descriptor wasn't in the table in v12

So what's the final position - is it in or out ?

Regards,
Harpreet

---

From: John Segers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 12:24:44 +0100

Harpreet,

See below please,

John

> events be sent in ObservedEvents Descriptor ?

Actually I did mean AuditValue.  I should have written "When
ObservedEvents is requested in the AuditDescriptor in AuditValue" and
"When EventBuffer is requested in the AuditDescriptor in AuditValue"
instead.

W.r.t. to your question, the draft reads "ObservedEventsDescriptor
returns the names of active events on the termination."  I don't know
what that means.

See Brian's message in this thread for comments on 4 & 5.