Subject: Continuity Tests and National Variants

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 23:16:59 -0500

Megacogans!

The following issue has been raised:

Issue: The draft text specifies that the possible values for the
signals are "q724" and that the MG figures out whether a 2-wire or 4-wire
continuity test is to be performed on the trunk in question. First of all,
it is unclear how the MG determines precisely what continuity test variant
to perform unless it is assumed that the MG is provisioned with this
information, however this should not be a requirement. Secondly, national
variants of continuity test procedures exist, and considering the package
is a "basic continuity package" it should be possible to use this package
without requiring support for Q.724 continuity test.
Proposal: It is recommended, that the possible test values are not
specified in this basic package, but that extension packages define this
packages, similarly to the "tone generator" and "tone detection" packages
defined in Annex E.1 and E.2

I am inclined to agree, but advice from the list would be helpful.

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 13:09:39 +0100

I say leave it how it is in the draft today. With the extend mechanisn
if people want to define a National Variant then they can extend the
current package with the values (ttypes) they like. Remember there is no
compulsion to support all the values of a property.

Regards, Christian