Subject: Cisco SG16: Provisional Response timers

From: Chip Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 19:51:24 -0500

Section:        D.1.4
Category:       Technical
Issue:          The draft text specifies that receipt of a provisional response
will imply a switch to a longer repetition timer for the transaction.
However, there is no other reliability mechanism in place to detect the
loss of the final response for that transaction, and consequently a lost
final response may not be detected for a while (depends on the longer
repetition timer). This leads to suboptimal behaviour of the protocol with
unnecessary long time-outs.
Proposal:       It is proposed, that a final response issued after a provisional
response requires an immediate confirmation to enable rapid detection of a
lost final response. Since the provisional response itself may be lost,
this implies that the final response should include an indication that a
response acknowledgement is required (immediately).

v13 Status:     OPEN. No relevant text changed.
Support NetAid!  http://www.netaid.org
--------------------------------------------------
Chip Sharp                 Consulting Engineering
Cisco Systems              Telco Bio-region
Reality - Love it or Leave it.
--------------------------------------------------