Subject: Telcordia SG16: Additional Notification from the MG to the MGC

From: Selvam Rengasami <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 09:18:34 -0500

When an ATM core network connection fails during the active state of a call, how
does the network and call recover from this situation if at all?  Does the MG
notify the MGC of this failure?  Does the MG that initiated the connection
re-attempt the connection to the remote MG or do we wait until the caller or
called party determines that the call has failed and sends a clearing indication
to the network?

Another situation is the MG that is the recipient of the ATM connection request
through the core network (e.g., it receives the ATM SETUP message and responds
with an ATM CONNECT message).  In this case, this MG does not have a way to
inform its serving MGC that the ATM connection has been established.

At least two additional notifications may need to be supported between the MG
and the MGC:

·    One notification to inform the MGC that an ATM connection (incoming to the
MG) has been established.

·    Another notification to inform the MGC when an ATM connection is released.

Consideration should be given as to exactly how these are to be supported (i.e.,
whether in the base protocol or in a package) although inclusion in the base
protocol is preferred.

Section 3.7 of a Telcordia Technologies contribution to SG 16 (which can be
found at
ftp://standard.pictel.com/avc-site/Incoming/telcordia-h248-misc-cmts.DOC )
provides a proposal for clarifying this issue.

-Selvam Rengasami
Telcordia Technologies
Tel:  +1 732 758 5260
E-mail:  [email-masked]