Subject: Telcordia SG16: Need for a mechanism to support Caller Identification Services in H.248

From: Selvam Rengasami <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 09:22:31 -0500

A number of analog lines that subscribe to caller ID services require special
signaling in order for the analog CPE to receive the caller id information from
the network.  In North America, on-hook and off-hook transmission techniques
have been defined, implemented and deployed in the PSTNs that allow a network to
provide such a capability.  Within a VOP network serving analog lines/users, a
similar capability is needed.

Different services can make use of this signaling technique including calling
number identification, calling name identification, visual message waiting
indicator, caller id on call waiting, etc.

ANSI T1.401.03-1998, "Network to Customer Installation Interfaces - Analog
Voicegrade Switched Access Lines with Calling Number Delivery, Calling Name
Delivery or Visual Message Waiting Indicator Features" defines how the
application message is created for these applications.  ANSI T1.401.03 defines
three formats to use for delivery of service information to an analog CPE
namely: Single Data Message Format (SDMF), Multiple Data Message Format (MDMF),
and Generic Data Message Format (GDMF).  SDMF has been historically used for the
delivery of calling number information.  MDMF is used for the delivery of
calling number and calling name information.  GDMF is used for delivery of
service information created by third party applications (e.g., remote server). A
means is needed to deliver that message to the MG for transmission to the CPE.

Within H.248, a new package can be defined to handle this case.

Section 3 of a Telcordia Technologies contribution to SG 16 (which can be found
at ftp://standard.pictel.com/avc-site/Incoming/telcordia-h248-callerid.DOC )
provides a proposal for addressing this issue.

-Selvam Rengasami
Telcordia Technologies
Tel:  +1 732 758 5260
E-mail:  [email-masked]