Subject: BufferedEventHandling

From: Chip Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 18:22:52 -0500

Section:        7.1.7
Category:       Technical, Open Issue
Issue:          At the end of the Red Bank meeting, Section 7.1.7 on
LocalControlDescriptor (Section 7.1.8 in TD-58 from the Red Bank meeting
[3]), contained the following text: "The TerminationBuffered parameter
describes actions taken by the MG when events are not immediately notified
to the controller.
1.      BufferedEventProcessingMode  specifies whether buffered events should be
processed (Process) or discarded (Discard)
2.      BufferedEventNotificationMode  specifies whether the Media Gateway is
expected to detect the requested event and notify the controller once (step
by step) or repeatedly (Loop).
The white contribution does not contain this text which constitutes a
significant technical change to the operation of event detection and
notification which we strongly disagree with.
Discussion:             It is recommended that the above deleted text is added to
Section 7.1.7 again.

v13 Status:     WIDE OPEN. Text still missing. Extensive modification of entire
event processing has taken place.

Section:        7.2.7, second last paragraph
Category:       Technical, Open Issue
Issue:          The draft text specifies that "If the BufferedEventProcessingMode
parameter of the Termination is set to "Discard", then the list shall
contain only the event that triggered the notification".
This constitutes a significant technical change to the operation of event
detection as indicated earlier for Section 7.1.7. The text was not present
at the end of the Red Bank meeting [3], nor should it be. Furthermore, the
text does not seem to make much sense; if an event is not to be reported,
then it is simply not included in the EventsDescriptor. This relates to the
removal of the BufferedEventNotificationMode which should not have happened.
Discussion:     It is strongly recommended that the specification on event
buffering concerning both notification and processing is revisited and
brought back in line with the outcome of the Red Bank meeting.

v13 Status:     OPEN. Although the text has been removed, it is part of an
extensive modification of the entire event handling mechanism.

Support NetAid!  http://www.netaid.org
--------------------------------------------------
Chip Sharp                 Consulting Engineering
Cisco Systems              Telco Bio-region
Reality - Love it or Leave it.
--------------------------------------------------