Subject: Unspecified mandatory parameters

From: Chuong Nguyen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 08:33:15 -0600

Hi

In section 7.1.1
"Unspecified mandatory parameters (i.e. mandatory parameters not
specified in a descriptor)
result in the command responder ..."

Can someone give me an example of an unspecified mandatory parameter in
a descriptor?

Does this result in a syntax error?
How do I tell if a parameter is mandatory - based ABNF?

Thanks
Chuong

--
  Alcatel USA, Inc             Internet: [email-masked]
  1000 Coit Road Plano, Texas 75075           Phone:    (972) 519-4613
  **** The opinions expressed are not those of Alcatel USA, Inc ****

---

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 20:27:10 -0600

I've been going through the list looking for open items.  I notice this
E-mail was never answered.  My own search of v14 shows that our
identification of mandatory parameters is spotty.  "Local" and "Remote" are
mandatory (see 7.1.8); so are some of the ServiceChange parameters.  I have
to wonder whether the rule of 7.1.1 (use previously specified values if
mandatory values are missing) has any meaning in the case of a
ServiceChange.

Leaving that aside, packages will specify mandatory and optional parameters,
particularly for events and signals.  Furthermore, within Local and Remote
the rules of SDP make a number of parameters mandatory.  I would have to
assume that the same parameters are mandatory when using Annex C encoding,
since Annex C should be functionally equivalent to SDP.

I see two possible issues here.  First, have we done all we need to, to
indicate which parameters are mandatory under what circumstances?  Second,
is the rule stated in 7.1.1 with respect to missing mandatory parameters too
broad, and should it be replaced by command-specific rules?

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Chuong Nguyen [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, January 14, 2000 9:33 AM
> To:   [email-masked]
> Subject:      Unspecified mandatory parameters
>
> Hi
>
> In section 7.1.1
> "Unspecified mandatory parameters (i.e. mandatory parameters not specified
> in a descriptor)
> Can someone give me an example of an unspecified mandatory parameter in a
> descriptor?
>