Subject: megaco and rsvp question

From: Lyndon Ong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 16:16:39 -0800

Folks,

MGCP had a few hooks in it for use of RSVP to reserve resources for the RTP
stream.  Has this been carried over to Megaco/H.248?  I have not been able
to find this in the H.248 spec, but I may have missed this.

MGCP had two parameters in the local connection options, "t" for the TOS
value to be used, and "r" for the service to be requested in RSVP
("g/cl/be" for guaranteed, controlled load and best effort, respectively).
This would allow the MGC to direct the MG to send out RSVP PATH messages
for the specified service (PATH and RESV need to be sent out from the
sender and receiver, not from the MGC).

This could go into a package as properties to be added to the Termination
State descriptor.  Alternatively, there is a proposal in SIP to have some
hooks in SDP, although this is going between two terminals.

Cheers,

L. Ong

---

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 09:25:40 -0500

From our point of view, based on the brief exchange Brian Rosen and I had
over specification of bearer characteristics in the Megaco protocol, the
solution would be as follows:

 (1) The hooks for IP QOS mechanisms would be provided by the IP package.
 (2) These hooks would appear as SDP/Annex C extensions.
 (3) They would be carried in the Local and RemoteDescriptors.

Similar considerations govern ATM-related QOS.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ong, Lyndon [SC1:470:EXCH]
> Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2000 7:17 PM
> To:   [email-masked]
> Subject:      megaco and rsvp question
>
> Folks,
>