Subject: Telcordia SG 16: Additional Call Information Needed in H.248

From: Selvam Rengasami <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 08:25:32 -0500

There are applications in today

?s PSTN that require the PSTN switch to provide
an answer indication to the calling analog line when the call is answered.  Some
applications include payphones with user-premised based billing, small
hotel/motels, universities, etc.  To accommodate these applications when in a
VoP network where the network access continues to be a traditional analog line,
the MGC needs to be able to indicate to the MG that an answer indication needs
to be provided to the calling line.

In addition there is a need to be able to instruct an MG which of several call
clearing with error treatment options is to be applied by the MGC for an analog
line in certain error cases (e.g., the user does not hang up the phone).

Section 3 of a Telcordia Technologies contribution to SG 16 (which can be found
at ftp://standard.pictel.com/avc-site/Incoming/telcordia-h248-callinfo.DOC )
provides a proposal for providing such an answer indication to the calling line
as well as the specific call release treatment when call clearing with error
treatment is to be provided.

-Selvam Rengasami
Telcordia Technologies
Tel:  +1 732 758 5260
E-mail:  [email-masked]