Subject: Re: ServiceChange

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 23:17:02 -0500

I looked at this again, and I decided it was okay as it is (now).  It was
late, so maybe it only
seems to be consistent.  Other opinions?

Brian

There are really 2 methods for registration, Restart or Failover
as being the first message from MG to MGC.  Section 7.2.8 implies
only one - Restart w/ROOT.  Section 11.5 implies Failover w/ROOT.

Section 7.2.8 ServiceChange
"6. Failover - send from MG to MGC to indicate the primary MG is out
service and a secondary MG is taking over."
This matches section 11.4 but in section 11.5, this method is also
used by MG to register with Primary or Secondary MGC.

Does the text need to be cleaned or more clarification?
We should look at that.

Thanks
Chuong

--

  Alcatel USA, Inc             Internet: [email-masked]

  1000 Coit Road Plano, Texas 75075           Phone:    (972) 519-4613

  **** The opinions expressed are not those of Alcatel USA, Inc ****

---

From: John Segers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 13:05:31 +0100

Brian, Chuong,

The current text in Section 7.2.8 (first sentence of sixth paragraph
after the numbered list of ServiceChangeMethods) reads "A ServiceChange
Command specifying the "Root" for the TerminationID is a registration
command [...]"  This does seem to be inconsistent with later sections.

How about changing "A ServiceChange Command specifying the "Root" for
the TerminationID and ServiceChangeMethod equal to Restart is a
registration command [...]" ?

John

     "6. Failover - send from MG to MGC to indicate the primary MG is
out

     [BR] We should look at that.

--
John Segers                                  email: [email-masked]
Lucent Technologies                                        Room HE 306
Dept. Forward Looking Work                      phone: +31 35 687 4724
P.O. Box 18, 1270 AA  Huizen                      fax: +31 35 687 5954

---

From: Chuong Nguyen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 08:39:07 -0600

For either Restart or Failover, one would still has to specify ROOT at the
terminationID.
Also both methods really resulted in a registration since the MGC
receiving this ServiceChange
can still deny the registering MG.

If you want to change the text then it should be
"A ServiceChange Command specifying the "Root" for
the TerminationID and ServiceChangeMethod equal to Restart or Failover is
a
registration command [...]"

Chuong

---

From: John Segers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 08:46:31 +0100

I think that we have a different interpretation of the word
registration.  In my interpretation registration=restart and
failover=failover.  In your interpretation, a failover scenario contains
registration.

Why is your proposal ("A ServiceChange Command specifying the "Root" for
the TerminationID and ServiceChangeMethod equal to Restart or Failover
is a registration command by which a Media Gateway announces its
existence to the Media Gateway Controller") more clear than the existing
text ("A ServiceChange Command specifying the "Root" for the
TerminationID is a registration command by which a Media Gateway
announces its existence to the Media Gateway Controller")?

John

Chuong Nguyen wrote:
>
> For either Restart or Failover, one would still has to specify ROOT at
> the terminationID.
> the TerminationID and ServiceChangeMethod equal to Restart or Failover
> is a

---

From: Chuong Nguyen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 08:38:05 -0600

My proposal is not clearer but it is comprehensive.  It is the Standard
that is not clearer.
It just happens that the Standard provides 2 ways for MG to announce its
existence to MGC - Restart
or Failover.
Since neither methods guarantee MGC will accept the MG, it is a request for
serivce by MG to me.
Therefore it is like registering for service with different REASON.

Fine, your proposal is ok if your are desscribing how Restart works.

Chuong