Subject: Telcordia SG 16: Essential Tones Missing from H.248

From: Selvam Rengasami <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 08:32:05 -0500

The version of H.248 prior to the White Paper included a list of tones that
could be identified by the MGC to the MG.

The White paper (Megaco Version 12 and 13) only lists a minor subset of these
tones.  It is important to allow as many of the currently used tones to be
identified as possible.

Two important tones missing from this list include: recall dial tone and stutter
dial tone.  Recall Dial tone is used in North American networks to provide an
indication that the caller should provide more information (e.g., user has
dialed a service access code, but has not provided a called number).  Stutter
dial tone is used to indicate that messages are waiting for the user for the
Message Service Application.  These tones are widely used in North America and
it is essential that these be included within H.248.

Barge-In Tone, Incoming Additional Call Tone, Priority Additional Call Tone, and
Expensive Route Warning Tone are required for Centrex type applications.  For
these tones a Centrex Tone Package is proposed.

Barge-In Tone indicates to a party on a call that another user has bridged onto
their call (e.g., supervisor observing telemarketer).  Additional Call Tone is
used to inform a user that another call, which is from outside of the user

?s
Centrex, is waiting for the user.  Priority Additional Call Tone is used to
indicate to the user that a priority call (typically) another Centrex user is
waiting for them.  This last tone is used for example by a boss to interrupt the
conversation of an employee.  Expensive Route Warning Tone is used when a route
designated as expensive is selected for a call, which affords the caller with
the opportunity to abandon the call.

The specifics for these tones are provided in Section 3 of a Telcordia
Technologies contribution to SG 16 (which can be found at
ftp://standard.pictel.com/avc-site/Incoming/telcordia-h248-tones.DOC ).

-Selvam Rengasami
Telcordia Technologies
Tel:  +1 732 758 5260
E-mail:  [email-masked]

---

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 14:45:54 -0600

These are candidates for additional region-specific or application-specific
packages.  The core set of tones are the ones recognized internationally as
evidenced by their inclusion in Rec. E.180.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Selvam Rengasami [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2000 8:32 AM
> To:   [email-masked]
> Subject:      Telcordia SG 16: Essential Tones Missing from H.248
>
>
>
>
> used to inform a user that another call, which is from outside of the
> user?s