Subject: Cisco SG16: Service Change

From: Chip Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 19:55:16 -0500

Section:        7.2.8, third last paragraph
Category:       Editorial
Issue:          The draft text specifies that "The ServiceChangeMethod
shall be "forced" for this usage". This is inconsistent with the
description in Section 11.2 which specified a ServiceChangeMethod of
"Restart".
Proposal:       It is recommended that the above text is modified to use a
ServiceChangeMethod of "Restart" instead.

v13 Status:     CLOSED. Text has been modified.

Section:        11.2
Category:       Technical
Issue:          When a gateway starts, it generates a restart ServiceChange
to the MGC. If the MGC's response to the ServiceChange is lost while a
later command is received by the gateway, how this command is handled is
not specified in the draft text.

Proposal:       It is recommended that the gateway will return an error.

v13 Status:     OPEN. No text changed.

Section:        11.2
Category:       Technical
Issue:          The draft text specifies that "If the MGC accepts the MG,
it will send a Transaction Accept, with the MGCIdToTry set to itself. If
the MG receives an MGCIDToTry not equal to the MGC it contacted, it send a
ServiceChange to the MGC specified in the MGCIdToTry". It is inconsistent
to on one hand accept the transaction as successful, yet on the other hand
require the MG to examine the MGCIdToTry returned to determine if the
registration really was successful or not. Examination of the syntax
reveals that this is part of a larger problem where unsuccessful
transactions, actions and commands are not able to return any other
information than an ErrorDescriptor which can only contain an error code
and text.
Proposal:       It is recommended that the above procedure is replaced by
return of an error code and another MGCIdToTry if the registration did not
complete. Furthermore, it is recommended that ErrorDescriptors are extended
to allow return of other information (essentially CommandReply) than only
an error code and text.

v13 Status:     OPEN. No text changed

Support NetAid!  http://www.netaid.org
--------------------------------------------------
Chip Sharp                 Consulting Engineering
Cisco Systems              Telco Bio-region
Reality - Love it or Leave it.
--------------------------------------------------