Subject: Optional descriptors

From: Sachin Mittal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 20:43:33 +0530

In case an MG doesn't support multimedia calls, it may not implement Multiplex
Descriptor.
If this is also true for say Modem Descriptor and in a command both these
descriptors
together with other supported descriptor(s) goes to MG. Although it is true that
the command will
fail but there is no way of informing MGC which descriptors are unsupported
"error code - 444"
(Descriptors can be returned only when any value is modified)

Shouldn't we modify the Base ROOT package to support this. Is it that only
toplogy descriptor
is optional?

---

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:54:09 -0600

What would the MGC do with the information if you did provide it?  It's not
a programmer, so it wouldn't know how to adjust.

I think the real solution in the spirit of our protocol is to define the
properties which can go into these descriptors in packages.  That way the
granularity of the MG's response is finer -- it may support some muxes but
not others, for instance.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Sachin Mittal [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2000 10:14 AM
> To:   [email-masked]
> Subject:      Optional descriptors
>