Subject: Telcordia SG 16: Need to support the playing of announcements in H.248

From: Selvam Rengasami <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 08:45:15 -0500

In the PSTN today, certain error conditions warrant the provision of an
announcement to the calling user.  When the error condition occurs in a Voice
over Packet (VoP) network, the VOP network needs to be able to provide the
announcement.  In order to provide the desired announcement, the MGC needs to
signal to the MG or the Announcements Server the announcement to be played.  It
is desirable not to standardize the specific announcements themselves as network
operators will need flexibility depending on local conditions for the
announcement to be provided.  However, what can be standardized is the label
that identifies an announcement is to be played.  An announcement identifier
with a generic announcement description and possibly a field to indicate the
number of cycles the announcements are to be played.

Annex E.12 (Announcement) appears to be missing from the White Paper (MegacoH248
Version 12).  A Telcordia Technologies contribution to SG 16 (which can be found
at ftp://standard.pictel.com/avc-site/Incoming/telcordia-h248-announcements.DOC
) provides some proposals to address this issue.  Specifically, Section 3.1 of
this contribution proposes a set of standardized announcements/situations.
Section 3.2 of this contribution proposes a set of announcement identifiers that
could be standardized, while the corresponding announcements are
network-specific.

-Selvam Rengasami
Telcordia Technologies
Tel:  +1 732 758 5260
E-mail:  [email-masked]

---

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 14:43:12 -0600

I also note that the Nortel Announcement Server package proposal has been
submitted to the SG 16 meeting.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Selvam Rengasami [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2000 8:45 AM
> To:   [email-masked]
> Subject:      Telcordia SG 16: Need to support the playing of
> announcements in H.248
>
> at
> ftp://standard.pictel.com/avc-site/Incoming/telcordia-h248-announcements.D
> OC