Subject: Auditing

From: Chip Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 18:15:52 -0500

Section:        7.1.12, table
Category:       Technical
Issue:          The draft text lists "Extensions" as auditable items,
however the rest of the draft recommendation does not define how auditing
of extensions is performed.
Proposal:       It is recommend, that the example API and the protocol
syntax are extended to include auditing of extensions.

v13 Status:     The new draft has removed extensions from the table.   The
implications are there are no extensions to descriptors allowed in the new
draft, only extensions to parameters(?).  Also, there is no way to audit
for extensions.

Section:        7.2.6, last line
Category:       Technical
Issue:          The draft text specifies that "DigitMap and Packages are
not legal in AuditCapability". This is inconsistent with the return
parameters shown for the example API. Furthermore, it would seem reasonable
to be able determine what packages a termination (or gateway) supports as
well as whether digit map is supported or not. Although packages can be
audited with AuditValue, it would seem to make more sense to allow it in
AuditCapability.
Proposal:       It is proposed to strike the above sentence and allow for
auditing of these two capabilities.

v13 Status:     OPEN. No relevant text changed.

Section:        7.2.6
Category:       Open Issue
Issue:          The current draft text does not specify how to audit
ephemerals at startup. This issue was identified by the IETF editor but has
not yet been resolved (issue 1). The issue is, that when you boot and have
not yet created any ephemeral terminations, how do you know what the MG can
do. For example, how do you know if the MG has say an IP interface, and ATM
interface, an MPLS interface or a Frame Relay interface . If you could
audit something, you could look at the "network" value in LocalControl.
Discussion:             A continuation of the discussion that has occurred
on the Megaco mailing list so far is needed in order to resolve the issue.

v13 Status:     OPEN. No relevant text has been added.

Support NetAid!  http://www.netaid.org
--------------------------------------------------
Chip Sharp                 Consulting Engineering
Cisco Systems              Telco Bio-region
Reality - Love it or Leave it.
--------------------------------------------------