Subject: Re: ServiceChange

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 14:07:34 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Chuong Nguyen [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2000 2:25 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: ServiceChange

Brian
We have discussed ServiceChange methods before regarding registration.
But I do not see any new clarification in v13.
You have mention that the first message from MG to MGC should always be
ServiceChange w/Restart.  MGC will always have the option to deny
service to registering MG.

Section 11.5 Failure of MG
"The MG should send a ServiceChange message with a "Failover" method
and a "MGC directed change" reason to the designated MGC.  If it
fails to get a reply, or fails to see an Audit command consequently,
it should behave as if it's MGC failed, and start contacting
secondary MGCs."
Why can't MG send ServiceChange w/Restart here since it is trying to
register with the new MGC?  The reason can be "Failover: MGC
directed change"?
I feel we should have just one way to do this.  There is quite a difference
between an MG first
starting, when it has no state to speak of, or is recovering from failure of
the MGC, where
it has lots of state.  That is why I think the method is "failover".
Regardless, the reason has
to make clear that the MG had been running, and is now being forced to
change MGCs.
Calls may be up, in particular.

In hindsight, there is no reason to have "method" and "reason".  One
parameter should
be sufficient..
Regardless of the ServiceChange method issue, does new MGC still has the
option to deny service to this requesting MG even though this MG
was directed by the failing MGC?  If the answer is yes, what should
the MG do - contact secondary MGC?
Yes

Last quoted sentence, does the MG use Restart or Failure to contact
secondary MGCs?
Failure

There are really 2 methods for registration, Restart or Failover
as being the first message from MG to MGC.  Section 7.2.8 implies
only one - Restart w/ROOT.  Section 11.5 implies Failover w/ROOT.

Section 7.2.8 ServiceChange
"6. Failover - send from MG to MGC to indicate the primary MG is out
service and a secondary MG is taking over."
This matches section 11.4 but in section 11.5, this method is also
used by MG to register with Primary or Secondary MGC.

Does the text need to be cleaned or more clarification?
We should look at that.

Thanks
Chuong

--

  Alcatel USA, Inc             Internet: [email-masked]

  1000 Coit Road Plano, Texas 75075           Phone:    (972) 519-4613

  **** The opinions expressed are not those of Alcatel USA, Inc ****