Subject: Re: About Megaco Message Parser

From: Matt Holdrege <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 08:40:40 -0800

At 09:29 AM 2/7/00 -0500, Rosen, Brian wrote:
> > Do we need to do both binary and text encoding of the protocol.
>No, you need text, binary is optional.  A PERSONAL opinion, sure to
>be scorned by some, is that binary will never make it in this protocol.  The
>really interesting thing is that, given one text and
>one binary implementation, and some example messages, we can put
>the size/efficiency argument to rest, as long as you don't care
>about the last couple percent (for which we can endlessly argue
>about implementation quality!)

Please don't mix personal versus "official" comments. The MGC MUST do both
binary and text per your agreement as captured by the meeting minutes and
published so. An MG may do either.

In the real world, some vendors of MG's will implement binary and some
text. Some vendors will likely do both. Binary for carrier class platforms
and text for SOHO. So it would behoove universal MGC's to support both.

---

From: Michael Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 12:04:28 -0500

Just a quick clarification... The spec says the MGC SHOULD provide support for
both not MUST.

As Brian suggests, time will tell on how this eventually goes.

Michael