Subject: Digit Maps Again

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 13:59:54 -0600

A case has been made to add the explicit long and short timers back in to
digit map strings.  The reason is that the default timing rules work fine
for call processing situations, but not for other situations such as
subscriber editing of terminal-related features.  Here is the text which is
proposed to be added.  Along with this change, the character indicating that
a long duration tone is expected becomes "Z" instead of "L".
(begin new text)
In addition to these event symbols, the string may contain "S" and "L"
inter-event timing specifiers and the "Z" duration modifier.  "S" and "L"
respectively indicate that the MG should use the short (S) timer or the long
(L) timer while waiting for the next event in the alternative event sequence
in which the timing specifier occurs, over-riding the timing rules described
above.  If an explicit timing specifier is present for the current position
in one candidate alternative event sequence, but none is present in any
other candidate sequence, the timer value given by the explicit timing
specifier must be used.  However, if timing specifiers are present for the
same event position in multiple alternative sequences and they are in
conflict, the results are undefined.  A timer specifier following a dot
specifies inter-event timing for all events matching the dot.
A "Z" designates a long duration event ...
(end new text)

I've also realized that there is no text describing how digit maps are
activated.  I propose this text immediately following the numbered procedure
section.  This will replace a paragraph I think is there now (I don't have
the I-D handy).
(begin replacement text)
        A digit map is activated whenever a new event descriptor or embedded
event descriptor is activated, and that event descriptor contains a digit
map completion event which itself contains a digit map parameter.  Each new
activation of a digit map begins at step 1 of the above procedure, with a
clear current dial string.  Any previous contents of the current dial string
from an earlier activation are lost.  While the digit map is activated,
detection is enabled for all events defined in the package containing the
specified digit map completion event.  Normal event behaviour (e.g. stopping
of signals unless the digit completion event has the KeepActive flag
enabled) continues to apply for each such event detected, except that the
events are not individually notified.
(end replacement text)

Tom Taylor
Advisor -- Emerging Carrier IP Standards
E-mail: [email-masked] (internally, Tom-PT Taylor)
Phone and FAX: +1 613 736 0961