Subject: ISUP Messages

From: Guylain Lavoie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 10:49:09 -0500

I just read the Media Gateway Control Protocol (MGCP) Call Flows
November 18, 1998 draft , and there is something that I don't understand. In
the flow control diagrams they show that there are ISUP interaction beetween
the CA and the TGW, but what I don't understand is how these ISUP messages
are transported over IP to the TGW, there must be some tunnelling done
somewhere.  I would appreciate if someone could explain this to me or point
me to some other documentation?

Thanks

Guylain Lavoie

Mediatrix Telecom Inc.
4229 Garlock Street
Sherbrooke (Quebec)
Canada J1L 2C8
Tel...: (819) 829-8749 ext 262
Fax...: (819) 829-5100
Web...: http://www.mediatrix.com
Email.: [email-masked]

---

From: Francois Menard List Account <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 16:25:58 -0500

The tunelling of ISUP is the subject of the activities of another IETF
working group called SIGTRAN.  This working group has the mandate to come
up with a tunelling mechanism for ISUP over IP.  I believe that the scope
of the SIGTRAN effort is very limited, as according to its charter,
SIGTRAN cannot alter the content of ISUP over IP (i.e. it cannot do any
form of protocol translation).

A number of proprietary methods already exist in the marketplace, namely
IPS7 from Nortel others.

There are other methods for carrying ISUP over IP which are a bit more
forward looking, such as the SIP/ID Media Type and the ISUP mime type for
SIP, which have been the object of several drafts in the last 12 months.

In packetcable, there is yet another proprietary mechanism for tunelling
ISUP between the softswitch and the trunking gateways.

I hope it answers your question

-=Francois=-
[email-masked]