Subject: Changes Made In Geneva

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 23:19:39 -0500

This is a detailed list and explanation of the changes to the protocol
document made in Geneva.  It relies on the change bars in
Megaco248v15tov16diff.doc.

2. References: added in support of some of the entries in Annex C.

3. Definitions: in definition of MG, DS-0 changed from "i.e." to "e.g."
because it is a North American entity.

4. Abbreviations: a few items added.

6.1.1 -- contextID encoding as 32 bits deleted -- syntax should be
restricted to syntax annexes

6.2.2 -- slight clarification of the operation of the wildcard audit

7.1.5
 -- EventBufferControl property name change in line with reworking of
description of event handling (sec. 7.1.9)
 -- state transitions in 7.2.8 reworked -- test now means test, not a
transitional state during graceful state change.  Change in intent reflected
in wording in 7.1.5.

7.1.6
 -- paragraph added clarifying significance of streamIDs.
 -- explanation of consequence of move for streams simplified -- same as an
Add in the new context.

7.1.7
 -- Reserve parameter in LocalControl has become ReserveValue (affects MG
selection behaviour within the same session description in Local or Remote)
and ReserveGroup (the old Reserve -- governs selection behaviour when
multiple session descriptions have been presented).  Related changes show up
in 7.1.6, 7.1.8, Annexes A and B.

7.1.8
 -- choices for parameter specifications in Local and Remote sent to the MG
are more thoroughly spelled out
 -- returns from the MG to the MGC are required to be fully conformant to
RFC 2327
 -- operation of ReserveValue and ReserveGroup spelled out
 -- bias toward symmetric coding is removed in Reservexx=false selection
rules.

7.1.9
 -- minor correction: event is continuity test result rather than continuity
tone detection
 -- Cisco compromise position on event handling (Chip Sharp, Event Handling
updated, 13/02/00) accepted: door is left open for new event processing
behaviours, and base behaviours are spelled out more thoroughly.  What is
there now represents no real change from what we had already except for a
change in terminology.  Also affects syntax in annexes A and B.
 -- added text to make embedding rules clearer.

7.1.10
 -- terminology change following from 7.1.9 changes.

7.1.11
 -- text describing signal completion event modified to indicate the ways in
which a signal may complete
 -- behaviour added for a new KeepActive parameter for signals -- covers
race condition identified by Christian Groves

7.1.14
Extensive touch-ups to clarify and extend digit map behaviour.
 -- DigitMap Descriptor's only role is define the value of a digit map.
 -- Digit maps can be defined on ROOT for global use.
 -- L and S inter-event timing specifiers are added and their effect on
behaviour described.
 -- added information on what happens when a digit map completes
 -- "extra" digit is no longer reported as part of the completion event --
processed as just another event
 -- text on relationship between digit maps and the events being mapped into
them is rewritten for more clarity (I hope)
 -- text added on effect of a dd/* or similar event specification
 -- S and L symbols removed from actual example -- unnecessary there
Also affects annexes A and B and step 11 in Appendix A.1.2.

7.1.17
 -- auditing of digit map current dial string is removed

7.1.18
 -- clarifying sentence added relating to examples
 -- changed table element in example table just removed a typo

7.2.2
 -- removed prohibition on Modify of an out-of-service termination -- want
to be able to modify state to "test" to run tests on it before restoring it
to service.

7.2.3
 -- removed the option for property values on a termination to revert to
those last set when it was in the null context.  The feeling was that this
option could lead to unexpected behaviour, particularly because the property
values needed just prior to a transition from null to an active context
differ from those wanted when the transition is in the opposite direction.

7.2.5
 -- as a consequence of allowing digit maps to be set on ROOT, the method of
requesting all digit maps set in the MG is changed
 -- meaning of the (ALL, wildcard) audit request is clarified

7.2.7
 -- the API is modified to show (consistently with Annexes A and B) that the
Notify must contain an ObservedEventsDescriptor, but may optionally also
contain an errorDescriptor
 -- provision is made for reporting error conditions not covered by events,
through reservation of requestID 0.  The exact mechanism still has to be
defined.

7.2.8
Cleaned up a little more
 -- API return result (if present) has same syntax as input
 -- test state eliminated as a transitional state during graceful
serviceChange of a termination
 -- apparently added a sentence regarding serviceChangeAddress, but the new
sentence looks redundant??
 -- 902 and 903 serviceChange reasons generalized

7.2.9 -- editorial

7.2.10
 -- noted that we actually use modified SDP in the MGC->MG direction.

7.3: No changes.  An I-D on error code use will be coming shortly.

9. -- actual port numbers added

9.1 modified from text inherited from MGCP, to take account of grouping of
commands in transactions

11.2 -- mentioned possibility of version mismatch

11.3 -- added rules for future modifications to the protocol, to ensure
backward compatibility

12 -- ITU-T package definitions no longer restricted to H.248 annexes

12.1 -- added text to indicate that packages can define new error codes

Annex A.2
 -- comment sets initial version to 1
 -- mtpAddress size corrected
 -- syntax added for optional three-way handshake (per annex D)
 -- extension marker added to various productions
 -- comment restricts wildcarding of package name
 -- event handling syntax changed per agreed mechanism
 -- MUX and modem descriptors changed to allow vendor-specific data
 -- added keepActive boolean for signals
A.3
 -- digit map symbol set modified
    N.B. "L", "S", "Z" are capitals only, "x" is small letter only
 -- typo fixed in definition of CR

Annex B
 -- ordering of properties and audit request interchanged in contextRequest
 -- errorDescriptor made optional in notifyRequest
 -- reserve becomes reserveValue and reserveGroup in localControl
    N.B. similar change not made in Annex A
 -- mtpAddress size corrected
 -- event handling syntax changed per agreed mechanism
 -- pkgdName syntax modified to eliminate possibility of */specific case
 -- event syntax modified to disallow keepActive only when it is on the same
level as a signalsDescriptor, to make consistent with intent and ASN.1
 -- added keepActive boolean for signals
 -- digit map symbol set modified
    N.B. "L", "S", "Z" are capitals only, "x" is small letter only

Annex C -- various -- in many cases, indicating type where it wasn't before

Annex D
D.1
 -- added text on routing of responses, actual port numbers to use,
implementor's note on MTU size for UDP/ALF
D.1.1 -- slight cleanup
D.1.2 -- syntax removed to Annexes A, B
D.1.5 -- procedure added for signalling possible message loss as a result of
disconnection
D.2 -- a couple of clarifications on differences from the UDP case

Annex E
E.1.2 -- generalized FL signal completion mode to cover other cases besides
failures
E.2    -- naming pattern deleted on the grounds that it doesn't have an
ASN.1 equivalent and is too related to provisioning
         Remark: the Megaco WG may well have a different view, in which case
we can create our own package extending base.
E.5.3 -- includes d0 as well as the others, for completeness.
E.6.2
 -- conditions for activation of digit map processing and monitoring for the
completion event are spelled out
       N.B.  refers to long-duration character "L" rather than "Z" as
possible component of DigitString parameter
 -- extra digit is deleted
 -- return in audit result is deleted
 -- type of DigitString is quotedString (not really necessary -- I foolishly
changed the syntax to match the example rather than v.v.)
 -- unambiguous match parameter value changed to "UM"
E.8.2 -- cut-and-paste error fixed
E.9.2 -- on and off hook reporting made unconditionally line state dependent
-- not just after change of control
E.10 -- various modifications to continuity test package
E.11 -- silence suppression property deleted
       N.B. need ability to negotiate use of this in Local and Remote
E.13
 -- name generalized from DS-0 (North American) to TDM circuit package
 -- echo control made an on/off property again, with details provisioned
against the termination

Appendix A -- a few odd corrections

Tom Taylor
Advisor -- Emerging Carrier IP Standards
E-mail: [email-masked] (internally, Tom-PT Taylor)
Phone and FAX: +1 613 736 0961