Subject: Updated Megaco Milestones

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 13:07:08 -0500

With Scott's permission, it looks like the milestones on the Megaco page
could be updated as follows.  Any comments from the WG?
 .....
  Done      Initial draft of MG and MGC MIBs.

  Done      Submit architecture and requirements document to IESG.

  Done      Submit protocol to ITU-T SG 16 for decision as Recommendation
H.248.
                Comment: H.248 was redetermined for decision in June.  Text
is
                considered frozen except for errors found during IETF and
ITU-T review.

  Mar 00    WG Last Call complete on the base protocol and base packages.

  Apr 00    Submit RFC MIBs for MC and MG to IESG for publication as RFCs.

  Apr 00     IETF Last Call complete on the base protocol and base packages.
                Submit to IESG for review.

  Jun 00    ITU-T decision of H.248 version 1.

  Jun 00    Close Working Group.

Tom Taylor
Advisor -- Emerging Carrier IP Standards
E-mail: [email-masked] (internally, Tom-PT Taylor)
Phone and FAX: +1 613 736 0961

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 12:23:46 -0600

Tom

Is the MEGACO IP Phone package part of the "base packages" you have scheduled
for the Mar Accomplishment Target below?

>Phone and FAX: +1 613 736 0961

*************************************
"At the end of the day... the most committed win!"

James M. Polk
Sr. Product Manager, Multiservice Architecture and Standards
Enterprise Voice Business Unit
Cisco Systems
Dallas, Texas
w) 972.813.5208
f)  972.813.5280
www.cisco.com

---

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 12:33:19 -0600

No, which reminds me that I owe the WG a detailed accounting of the work SG
16 has provisionally claimed as its own.  Here it is.

First, H.248v1 (and draft-ietf-megaco-protocol-07.txt) includes the
following packages:

*       Generic: includes the "Cause" event, good for reporting network
disconnection reasons, and the signal completion event.
*       Base Root: contains some basic Media Gateway properties
*       A general tone generation package -- contains one signal, which
plays out a named tone
*       A general tone detection package -- events to indicate start of
tone, end of tone, long-duration tone
*       Basic DTMF detection and generation, including a DTMF digit map
completion event
*       Basic call progress tone detection and generation, naming the tones
to be found in ITU-T Rec. E.180
*       Basic continuity test package, with the exact type of test assumed
to be provisioned against the termination
*       A "Network" package, which allows setting of jitter buffer size and
has network failure and quality alert events, plus some basic connection
statistics
*       An RTP package, with an event indicating transition between one
payload type and another, plus more statistics
*       A TDM circuit package, which allows echo cancellation to be turned
on and off and loss padding to be set

A number of other packages were deemed to need further work and were
determined at this meeting.  They will probably be finished up at the May
Rapporteur's meeting in Osaka and decided at the SG 16 meeting scheduled for
November.  They include:

*       the text conversation and FAX packages (H.248 Annex F)
*       the business set related stuff which is of vital interest to IPPhone
(H.248 Annex G).  This material has also been drawn into H.323 Annex L,
Stimulus Signalling.
*       the dynamic tone generation package (H.248 Annex J) -- allows
playout of an arbitrary tone defined by cadence, frequencies, etc.
*       a basic announcement package, championed by Telcordia (H.248 Annex
K)

H.248 Annexes H and I talk about transport of the control protocol over SCTP
and ATM respectively.  Both were brought in by Ericsson, though the SCTP one
was originally the work of the Motorola prime movers behind the protocol.
These annexes were also determined for November decision.

The Nortel Advanced Audio Server package was accepted as a definite work
item of the group.  However, it was considered premature to determine it at
this point.  That means it will likely be decided somewhere around the
middle of next year.

H.248 has already given rise to a mini-standards industry.  Study Group 8
has picked it up for Internet FAX.  Q. 9 of Study Group 11 is developing a
package for controlling off-board signal processing equipment (SPNE
package).  H.248 figures in the plans for Q.BICC.  I've also seen mention of
H.248 on the DIAMETER list at the IETF.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: James M. Polk [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, February 25, 2000 1:24 PM
> To:   Taylor, Tom-PT [CAR:B904:EXCH]; [email-masked]
> Subject:      Re: Updated Megaco Milestones
>
> Tom
>
> Is the MEGACO IP Phone package part of the "base packages" you have
> scheduled for the Mar Accomplishment Target below?
>
        [[TomT]]  snip
> www.cisco.com <http://www.cisco.com/>