Subject: Re: RTP/SDP descriptor strings

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 10:32:32 -0500

Curiously, I was just at an MSF meeting where the same thing
was discussed.

Here are the facts:
A while ago, the MSF sent a message (liaison) to the IETF Megaco with
a set of tables that defined all the parameters to create an ATM
AAL1, AAL2 and AAL5 VC.  It also suggested a way to make these
tables into an SDP extension with the same capability.  This
was "accepted" by the Megaco group, but it too has not gone
through the effort to register any tags, write up any
I-Ds seeking to change SDP, etc.

Nortel produced an I-D that slightly reworked the MSF proposal
for how the SDP would work.  They say they plan an update to that,
along with a proposal for an ATM package.

Cisco has started work on extending MGCP/SDP for ATM, which I
understand is the genesis of the work on the ISC's plate.

I believe that it should be possible to have the SDP changes,
and the package definition be close to identical for MGCP and
Megaco.  I propose that ISC, MSF, Cisco and Nortel work together
to produce an I-D defining what is needed to make this happen.

To that end, I will start a mailing list for this activity.
The starting members are:
        Brian Rosen [email-masked]
        Michael Brown [email-masked]
        Rajesh Kumar [email-masked]
I'll also include
        Tom Taylor [email-masked] (Megaco WG chair)
        Charles Eckel [email-masked]  (ISC MGCP WG chair)
        Petros Mouchtaris [email-masked] (MSF Media WG chair)
        John Segers [email-masked] (ITU H.248 editor)
If anyone else wants to be on the list, send me a message.

I'll ask Michael Brown to put Nortel's current ideas on this list
I'll ask Rajesh to put Cisco's thoughts on the list
I'll dump the MSF message on this list
I suggest you look at Annex C of the v14 version of Megaco for
updated tables, and note that CID is missing from AAL1 and AAL2.

I would think we could get this done in two weeks, and send it
off.

NOTE: I've made the distribution of this email quite wide, to let
everyone possibly interested aware of what is happening.
You might not want to REPLY-ALL!!!

Brian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Charles Eckel [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2000 7:09 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: RTP/SDP descriptor strings
>
>
> The Device Control work group is currently drafting an ATM package for
> inclusion in the MGCP specification. One issue we know will
> require some
> attention is the definition of new SDP descriptor strings
> corresponding
> to new media which are needed for, but not specific to, ATM. Are there
> any resources within the ISC which can assist us in getting the
> necessary update to RFC 1890 and/or RFC 2327 drafted and submitted?
> Better yet, do you know of anything which is already being done by
> another group (eg. the MSF)?
> --
> Charles Eckel
> Senior Engineer       mailto:[email-masked]
> Vovida Networks, Inc.      phone:(408)941-1743
> http://www.vovida.com        fax:(408)941-1791
>