Subject: Issue Score Card (Tuesday edition)

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 15:33:16 -0600

Here's my take on agreed fixes to the v14.doc/protocol-05.txt.  I've managed
to work my way back Chip's series of messages on Jan. 25.  More tomorrow.

The note is meant to track issues raised from 14 Jan 2000 onwards.  This
date seemed to be a reasonable starting point, since that is effectively
when work on v14 started.  Disposition of the issues is one of:
 -- "error", denoting something broken or inconsistent in current text,
which will go into an errata sheet for rectification in Geneva; or   --
"clarification needed", which will probably go into the H.248v1
Implementor's Guide (but once there, can perhaps be incorporated directly
into the Megaco RFC), or
 -- "missing functionality" which we'll have to allocate to H.248v1 or
H.248v2.

Errata
=====

Section affected: 7.1.14.

Erratum: paragraph beginning "In addition to these event symbols, the string
may contain ..."
The "S" duration modifier is unexplained and should be deleted.

Erratum: replace the numbered steps from 3 onwards in the description of
processing behaviour near the end of the section with the following:

"3.   If the result does not match any entry and is under-qualified
(partially
matches at least one entry in the DigitMap), do nothing further.

"4.   If the result is a match and is under-qualified (partially matches at
least
one other entry in the DigitMap), apply the short timer and await further
digits. If the timer expires and no digits are received or an end-of-dialing

indication is received, send the current dial string to the MGC.  If one or
more
digits are received apply steps 1 through 5 again.

"5.   If the result is a match and is over-qualified (i.e., no further
digits could possibly produce a match), send the current dial string to the
MGC using the completion event defined in the package whose events are being
mapped into the digit map string."

Reference: Selvam Rengasami, 27/01/00, Telcordia SG 16: Comments on 7.1.13
on DigitMaps in H.248

Erratum: example at end of section.  The "L" and "S" modifiers should be
deleted.  The "*" and "#" symbols should instead be "E" and "F" in
accordance with the mapping in the DTMF detection event package (see erratum
for section E.6).

Section affected: 7.2.5
Erratum: third sentence before table at end, replace "unspecified" with
"wildcarded".
References:
Raised: Madhu Babu, 14/01/00, "unspecified" Context Identifier for Audit
Command
also Selvam Rengaswami, 27/01/00, Telcordia SG16: Comments on 8.1.2
regarding ContextIDs in H.2 48
Fix per Brian Rosen, 14/01/00, "unspecified" Context Identifier for Audit
Command

Section affected: 7.2.8
Erratum: bullets summarizing use of ServiceChange parameters.  For
ServiceChangeAddress, replace "mandatory" by "optional", leaving rest of
bullet unchanged.
Reference: Chuong Nguyen, 31/01/00, ServiceChangeAddress

Section affected: 8.3
Erratum: second paragraph.  Delete reference to RFC 2145.  Add version
number for current version.  Hence the second sentence should now read:
"Versions consist of one or two digits, beginning with version 1 for the
initially-decided version of H.248."
Reference: Jo Friedman, 24/01/00, Question about Protocol Version

Section affected: 9.
Erratum: in second paragraph, where IP ports are specified: expect to obtain
the same value of port number for both TCP and UDP, but a different set of
ports for text vs. binary operation.
Raised: Christian Huitema, 14/01/00, FW: Application for port-number
Status: Chair has applied for second pair of port numbers for binary
operation.  Assigned port numbers should be known before decision of H.248.

Section affected: 11.1
Erratum: final paragraph: delete final sentence, which currently states
"ServiceChange may only be applied to the Root by Master MGC".
Reference: Chip Sharp, 25/01/00, Cisco SG16: Virtual MG & Root

Section affected: Annex A, section A.2
Erratum: delete OPTIONAL for the auditDescriptor term in the AuditRequest
production.
Reference: Sachin Mittal, 31/01/00, v 14: Change required in Audit command
description

Section affected: Annex A, section A.3
Erratum: in production "digitLetter", "ditigMapLetter" should be replaced by
"digitMapLetter".
Erratum: in accordance with section 7.1.14, the production "digitMapLetter"
should include the following symbols only: "0" through "9", "A" through "K",
and the long duration modifier "L".  Production MFsig should be deleted.

Section affected: Annex B, section B.2

Erratum: delete OPTIONAL for the auditDescriptor term in the AuditRequest
production.
Reference: Sachin Mittal, 31/01/00, v 14: Change required in Audit command
description

Erratum: in accordance with section 7.1.14, the production "digitMapLetter"
should include the following symbols only: "0" through "9", "A" through "K",
and the long duration modifier "L".  Production MFsig should be deleted.

Section affected: Annex E, section E.5.3
Erratum: event name d* is not a legal production, and should be changed to
ds ("s" for "star").  Similarly, event name d# should become do ("o" for
"octothorpe").
Reference: Tom Taylor, 27/01/00, Cisco SG16: Comment on E.3.4

Section affected: Annex E, section E.6.2
Erratum: include the following text and table to provide mapping between
DTMF events and digit map symbols:

"The following table maps DTMF events to digit map symbols, for use as
described in section 7.1.14:"

    DTMF Event     Digit Map
                    Symbol
    d0 (0x0010)       "0"
    d1 (0x0011)       "1"
    d2 (0x0012)       "2"
    ...               ...
    d9 (0x0019)       "9"
    da (0x001a)       "A"
    db (0x001b)       "B"
    dc (0x001c)       "C"
    dd (0x001d)       "D"
    ds (0x0020)       "E"
    do (0x0021)       "F"

Reference: Chip Sharp, 25/01/00 and Tom Taylor, 27/01/00, Cisco SG16:
Comment on E.3.4

Erratum: delete reference to MF digits in the list of possible values.  The
latter must be defined in a separate package.

Section affected: E.9.2

Erratum: add the following behavioural description to the "onhook" event:
"If the first event descriptor after (re)establishment of MGC control over
the specific termination concerned or the MG as a whole contains the on-hook
event request and the line is already on-hook, the MG shall act as if
on-hook had occurred immediately after the event descriptor became active."
Erratum: add the following behavioural description to the "offhook" event:
"If the first event descriptor after (re)establishment of MGC control over
the specific termination concerned or the MG as a whole contains the
oof-hook event request and the line is already off-hook, the MG shall act as
if off-hook had occurred immediately after the event descriptor became
active."
Reference: Brian Rosen, 21/01/00, and subsequent discussion in the
Preconditions thread, resolved by Tom Taylor, 25/01/00.

Clarifications
==========
Section affected: 7.1.5

Comment: if a command other than ServiceChange or Subtract is received for a
terminationID which is in Test or Out of service state, the MG should reject
the command with error 503 - Service unavailable.
Reference: Sachin Mittal, 31/01/00, ServiceChange

Section affected: 7.1.14

Comment: the events which are being mapped into a digit map descriptor are
recognized as individual events as they are detected.  In particular,
regardless of the status of matching of the digit map, event detection will
stop emission of signals in progress unless the KeepAlive parameter is set.
Reference: Madhu Babu, 25/01/00 and subsequent discussion, Stopping of Dial
tone

Section affected: 7.2.8

Comment: Where the terminationID designates an individual termination the
sender of the ServiceChange command should use the contextID of the context
in which the termination currently lies.  In any other usage the contextID
has no significance for the processing of the ServiceChange command.
Reference: Sachin Mittal, 27/01/00 and Tom Taylor, 31/01/00, Importance of
ContextID in ServiceChange command

Comment: If a termination is already in the Null context when a Graceful
ServiceChange is issued/received, the serviceState must be set to "out of
service" as soon as the delay has expired, or immediately if the delay is
null.
Reference: Sachin Mittal, 27/01/00, ServiceChange in Null context

Comment: If the MGC issues a ServiceChange (restart) for a termination and
it can be recovered (i.e. hasn't lost its bearer), the MG must act on the
command.  If the termination cannot be recovered the MG must reject the
command with error return.
Reference: Madhu Babu, 27/01/00 and Tom Taylor, 28/01/00, ServiceChange

Issues Not Yet Resolved
==================

Cisco SG16: Command Atomicity
So far, comments from Chip Sharp (originator) and Brian Rosen in favour.
I've been told that my Nortel colleagues hold a contrary view.  I'm waiting
for one of them to to attempt to persuade the list that this isn't
necessary.

Cisco SG16: Audit
So far it looks like the only way to know the type of ephemeral network
connections supported by an MG is through provisioning in the MGC.  Possible
alternatives: accept Brian Rosen's proposal that AuditValue can be applied
to terminations which don't yet exist; allow AuditCapability to return a
PackagesDescriptor as proposed by Chip Sharp; add Root properties in
network-type-specific packages so AuditValue of Root will indicate what kind
of ephemerals are supported.  Since provisioning will work, this is "Missing
Functionality for v2" unless we get quick agreement on a simple solution.

Tom Taylor
Advisor -- IPConnect Standards
E-mail: [email-masked] (internally, Tom-PT Taylor)
Phone and FAX: +1 613 736 0961

Tom Taylor
Advisor -- IPConnect Standards
E-mail: [email-masked] (internally, Tom-PT Taylor)
Phone and FAX: +1 613 736 0961