Subject: Meaning Of Wildcarded PackageID

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 13:32:19 -0500

Our ABNF pkgdName production shows the possibility of using "*" instead of
the package name.  What is this supposed to mean?  I don't like the look of
it -- it suggests the possibility of unintended name space collisions.

Tom Taylor
Advisor -- IPConnect Standards
E-mail: [email-masked] (internally, Tom-PT Taylor)
Phone and FAX: +1 613 736 0961

---

From: Peter Blatherwick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 16:38:43 -0600

Tom, list:

Our current production for pkgdName applies to eventsDescriptors (setting of
requests and receiving results) and to propertyParm (for setting/getting
properties).  I think the events aspect is more important than the
properties aspect.

For eventsDescriptors, this allows 4 cases:
1) PackageName/ItemID :  Useful for the general, fully specified case.
Gotta have it.
2) PackageName/* : Useful to get all events from particular elements, or
just as a shortcut for elements that have a large number of event types to
monitor, to trade bandwidth to describe events vs bandwidth to report them.
I expect this would be used quite often, for example in tone detection.
3) */* :  Definitely very useful for small, simple applications where the
MGC wants to see all events, all the time.
4) */ItemID : I don't see any immediate need for this one.  It does seem
rather ambiguous in terms of name space, and would also be a bit onerous to
process in any MG with a lot of packages.

Therefore, for eventsDescriptors, I think it makes sense to alter the
production to allow cases 1-3 above, and disallow case 4.

For properties, I don't see a clear use for cases 2 - 4.  Therefore, I'd
suggest disallow all but case 1.  However, I don't see the properties aspect
as a big deal (unlike events), so if its more compact to leave it the same
as for events, then I say so be it.

-- Peter

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Taylor, Tom-PT [CAR:B904:EXCH]
> Sent: 1 Feb, 2000 13:32
> To:   [email-masked]
> Subject:      Meaning Of Wildcarded PackageID
>