Subject: Re: ISUP Messages

From: Nancy-M Greene <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 10:33:25 -0600

You should look at the sigtran work:

> ----------
> From:         Ong, Lyndon [SC1:470:EXCH]
> Sent:         Monday, January 31, 2000 11:53 AM
> To:   [email-masked]
> Subject:      Re: Where is Draft v 5
>
> At 08:55 AM 1/31/00 -0600, Randall Stewart wrote:
> >Qiaobing released this draft to the IETF Friday. I would
> >anticipate it showing up within a day or so on the web
> >server (ietf.org). Lyndon are you going to put it on
> >the ftp site?
>
> Draft 5 is now on the ftp site at
ftp://standards.nortelnetworks.com/sigtran/docs/adelaide00

filename:
draft-ietf-sigtran-sctp-05.txt

> This is the same that Qiaobing sent to the internet-drafts editor.  It
> should be available on the ietf server soon also.
>
> Cheers,
>
> L. Ong
>
>
> ----------
> From:         Guylain Lavoie[SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:         Wednesday, February 02, 2000 10:49 AM
> To:   [email-masked]
> Subject:      ISUP Messages
>
>         I just read the Media Gateway Control Protocol (MGCP) Call Flows
> November 18, 1998 draft , and there is something that I don't understand.
> In
> the flow control diagrams they show that there are ISUP interaction
> beetween
> the CA and the TGW, but what I don't understand is how these ISUP messages
> are transported over IP to the TGW, there must be some tunnelling done
> somewhere.  I would appreciate if someone could explain this to me or
> point
> me to some other documentation?
>
> Thanks
>
> Guylain Lavoie
>
> Mediatrix Telecom Inc.
> 4229 Garlock Street
> Sherbrooke (Quebec)
> Canada J1L 2C8
> Tel...: (819) 829-8749 ext 262
> Fax...: (819) 829-5100
> Web...: http://www.mediatrix.com
> Email.: [email-masked]
>

---

From: Bob Wise <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 09:45:07 -0700

RE: ISUP MessagesSigtran is one approach. However, a softswitch can connect
to an SS7 switch
ISUP/MTP and control the TGW via MGCP without doing any ISUP tunneling
over IP.  The ISUP doesn't even need to come near the TGW.  Alternately,
sigtran can be used to transport ISUP messages over IP for the softswitch
and the SS7 switch to communicate. Still, IUSP messaging doesn't have
to get near the TGW. Sigtran is a great way to replace those expensive STPs,
though.

-Bob Wise
Chief Architect
Vsys
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Media Gateway Control (megaco)
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Nancy-M Greene
  Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2000 9:33 AM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: Re: ISUP Messages

  ----------

  filename:

  Cheers,

  L. Ong

    ----------

            I just read the Media Gateway Control Protocol (MGCP) Call Flows
    November 18, 1998 draft , and there is something that I don't
understand. In
    the flow control diagrams they show that there are ISUP interaction
beetween
    the CA and the TGW, but what I don't understand is how these ISUP
messages
    are transported over IP to the TGW, there must be some tunnelling done
    somewhere.  I would appreciate if someone could explain this to me or
point
    me to some other documentation?

    Thanks

    Guylain Lavoie

    Mediatrix Telecom Inc.
    4229 Garlock Street
    Sherbrooke (Quebec)
    Canada J1L 2C8

---

From: Lyndon Ong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 09:48:18 -0800

If you look carefully at the flows, I think you will see that ISUP is
always going between the SG (Signaling Gateway) and the CA (Call Agent),
whereas MGCP - or more appropriately Megaco/H.248 - goes between CA and
TGW (Trunk Gateway).

You may have an SG co-located with the TGW in the case of an SS7 F-link,
or you may have a standalone SG to terminate A-links.  In either case,
you can use Sigtran to transport the SS7 messages over IP.

And, as Bob points out, you may have SS7-links terminate on the CA, in
which case you don't need to transport it over IP (assuming that CA =
SoftSwitch = MGC).

See RFC 2719 for an overview.

Cheers,

L. Ong

At 09:45 AM 2/2/00 -0700, Bob Wise wrote:

<excerpt><fontfamily><param>Arial</param><color><param>0000,0000,ffff</param><smaller>Sigtran
is one approach. However, a softswitch can connect to an SS7 switch

over IP.  The ISUP doesn't even need to come near the TGW.
Alternately,

sigtran can be used to transport ISUP messages over IP for the
softswitch

to get near the TGW. Sigtran is a great way to replace those expensive
STPs, though.

</smaller></color></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><color><param>0000,0000,ffff</param><smaller>-Bob
Wise

Chief Architect

Vsys

</smaller></color></fontfamily><excerpt>
<fontfamily><param>Tahoma</param><smaller>-----Original Message-----

<bold>From:</bold> Media Gateway Control (megaco)
[mailto:[email-masked]]<bold>On Behalf Of
</bold>Nancy-M Greene

<bold>Sent:</bold> Wednesday, February 02, 2000 9:33 AM

<bold>To:</bold> [email-masked]

<bold>Subject:</bold> Re: ISUP Messages

</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><color><param>0000,0000,ffff</param><smaller>You
should look at the sigtran work:</smaller></color></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>MS Sans
Serif</param><smaller>----------</smaller></fontfamily>

<bold><fontfamily><param>MS Sans
Serif</param><smaller>From:</smaller></fontfamily></bold>
<fontfamily><param>MS Sans Serif</param><smaller>Ong, Lyndon
[SC1:470:EXCH]</smaller></fontfamily>

<bold><fontfamily><param>MS Sans
Serif</param><smaller>Sent:</smaller></fontfamily></bold>
<fontfamily><param>MS Sans Serif</param><smaller>Monday, January 31, 2000
11:53 AM</smaller></fontfamily>

<bold><fontfamily><param>MS Sans
Serif</param><smaller>To:</smaller></fontfamily></bold>
<fontfamily><param>MS Sans
Serif</param><smaller>[email-masked]</smaller></fontfamily>

<bold><fontfamily><param>MS Sans
Serif</param><smaller>Subject:</smaller></fontfamily></bold>
<fontfamily><param>MS Sans Serif</param><smaller>Re: Where is Draft v
5</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>At 08:55 AM 1/31/00 -0600,
Randall Stewart wrote:</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>>Qiaobing released this draft to
the IETF Friday. I would</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>>anticipate it showing up within
a day or so on the web</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>>server (ietf.org). Lyndon are
you going to put it on</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>>the ftp
site?</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>Draft 5 is now on the ftp site
at</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><color><param>0000,0000,ffff</param><smaller><<ftp://standards.nortelnetworks.com/sigtran/docs/adelaide00>ftp://standards.nortelnetworks.com/sigtran/docs/adelaide00</smaller></color></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><color><param>0000,0000,ffff</param><smaller>filename:</smaller></color></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><color><param>0000,0000,ffff</param><smaller>draft-ietf-sigtran-sctp-05.txt</smaller></color></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>This is the same that Qiaobing
sent to the internet-drafts editor.  It</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>should be available on the ietf
server soon also.</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>Cheers,</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>L. Ong</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>MS Sans
Serif</param><smaller>----------</smaller></fontfamily>

<bold><fontfamily><param>MS Sans
Serif</param><smaller>From:</smaller></fontfamily></bold>
<fontfamily><param>MS Sans Serif</param><smaller>Guylain
Lavoie[SMTP:[email-masked]]</smaller></fontfamily>

<bold><fontfamily><param>MS Sans
Serif</param><smaller>Sent:</smaller></fontfamily></bold>
<fontfamily><param>MS Sans Serif</param><smaller>Wednesday, February 02,
2000 10:49 AM</smaller></fontfamily>

<bold><fontfamily><param>MS Sans
Serif</param><smaller>To:</smaller></fontfamily></bold>
<fontfamily><param>MS Sans
Serif</param><smaller>[email-masked]</smaller></fontfamily>

<bold><fontfamily><param>MS Sans
Serif</param><smaller>Subject:</smaller></fontfamily></bold>
<fontfamily><param>MS Sans Serif</param><smaller>ISUP
Messages</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>        I just read the Media
Gateway Control Protocol (MGCP) Call Flows</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>November 18, 1998 draft , and
there is something that I don't understand. In</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>the flow control diagrams they
show that there are ISUP interaction beetween</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>the CA and the TGW, but what I
don't understand is how these ISUP messages</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>are transported over IP to the
TGW, there must be some tunnelling done</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>somewhere.  I would appreciate
if someone could explain this to me or point</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>me to some other
documentation?</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>Thanks</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>Guylain
Lavoie</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>Mediatrix Telecom
Inc.</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>4229 Garlock
Street</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>Sherbrooke
(Quebec)</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>Canada J1L
2C8</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>Tel...: (819) 829-8749 ext
262</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>Fax...: (819)
829-5100</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>Web...:</smaller></fontfamily><underline>
<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><color><param>0000,0000,ffff</param><smaller><<http://www.mediatrix.com>http://www.mediatrix.com</smaller></color></fontfamily></underline>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>Email.: [email-masked]</smaller></fontfamily>

</excerpt>

</excerpt><<<<<<<<