Subject: Section 9.1

From: Chip Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 14:44:27 -0500

In reviewing the comments on new Section 9.1 "Ordering of Commands" we
noticed that the text was somewhat confusing.  In particular, we considered
the following item (2) to be incorrect since we thought that the
restriction to outstanding commands applied to Terminations, not contexts.

"2.  In a given Context, there should normally be at most one outstanding
command (Add or Modify or Move).  However, a Subtract command may be issued
at any time.  In consequence, a Media Gateway may sometimes receive a
Modify command that applies to a previously subtracted Termination.  Such
commands should be ignored, and an error code should be returned."

The proposal was to replace "Context" with "Termination".

However, in further reading this section, many questions were raised as to
whether things applied to commands, transactions, contexts, etc.

In investigating the history of this section, I believe I found the source
of confusion.  It looks like this text was cut-and-pasted from the MGCP
draft (v1.05).  The problem is that after the paste, a global replace was
done replacing "endpoint" with "termination" and "connection" with
"Context".  No other text seems to be modified.

The problem is that the fundamental call model between MGCP and megaco are
different and an "endpoint" is not equivalent to "termination" and
"context" is not equivalent with "connection".  Therefore, the text in this
section is incorrect.

We would like to correct this.   Possibly by deleting those parts that
don't make sense. (e.g., item 2).  Does anyone have major heartburn?

Chip
Support NetAid!  http://www.netaid.org
--------------------------------------------------
Chip Sharp                 Consulting Engineering
Cisco Systems              Telco Bio-region
Reality - Love it or Leave it.
--------------------------------------------------