Subject: Re: H.248 Activity

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 13:37:42 -0500

You might have a "simple" concern, but unless what comes out of
Geneva is exactly what goes in, and unless last call produces
no comments that require changes, it won't work to decide it
in Geneva.

No one has asked ITU to change it's fundamental approval process.
No one has asked IETF to change it's fundamental approval process.

Therefore what IETF approves, following WG last call and IESG
last call, must be what ITU decides, and vice versa.
Since last call is not done, decision cannot be taken.

In order to converge, the document really has to be stable.  Stable
enough that both the ITU decision process and the IETF last call
process produce no changes.  We are clearly not there.

Unless one of the two bodies changes it's process, that is
the only way forward.  It doesn't matter what I, or anyone
else thinks of the stability or quality of the drafts.  It doesn't
matter what the market demands, or what will work the best.
We are stuck with the process.

Given your stated sentiments, I would have expected you to lead
the fight for deciding the input document to Geneva.  That would
indicate stability from ITU perspective.

I gather that was not your position.

Brian

---

From: Stephen Terrill <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 20:05:42 +0100

Hi Brain,

To be clear, I support decision.  In general, I think that the input documents to geneva (with editors clarification) are what is being accepted in Geneva.  This is in accordance with ITU procedures.

Regards,

..//Steve