Subject: ServiceChange Reason Code

From: Chuong Nguyen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 13:54:17 -0600

Hi

Can someone look at the following and provide some inputs as whether it
is correct or complete?
Do we really need so many Reason Code?
If we do, according to section 13.3 "A complete description of the
condition under which the reason
is used is detected shall ...."
 ----------- (somekind of typo here)

Thanks
Chuong

Direction               TermId           Method          Reason
MG->MGC         ROOT            Restart          900 Service Restored ??

901 MG Cold Boot

902 MG Warm Boot
MGC->MG         ROOT            Handoff         908 MGC Impending
Failure ??
MG->MGC         ROOT            Failover        903 MGC Directed Change

908 MG Impending Failure

909 MGC Impending Failure
MG->MGC         termId(s)       Restart         900 Service Restored
                                                      Forced
905 Termination taken out
                                                      of service
                                                      Graceful       904
Termination malfunctioning

906 Loss of lower layer connectivity

907 Transmission Failure

910 Media Capability Failure

911 Modem Capability Failure

912 Mux Capability Failure

913 Signal Capability Failure

914 Event Capability Failure
MG->MGC        ROOT        Disconnected    915 State Loss

----------------------------------------------------------

Direction               TermId           Method          Reason
MGC->MG         ROOT            Forced or       Can we even allow this?
                                                     Graceful         If
yes,

901 MG Cold Boot or

902 MG Warm Boot or

903 MGC Directed Change or?
                             termId(s)        Forced          905
Termination taken out of service
                             termId(s)        Graceful        same
reasons as MG-MGC?

Can't be right because MG would already know

what is wrong w/term before MGC.
                            termId(s)       Restart         900 Service
Restored  ???

903 MGC Directed Change
                            ROOT            Restart         Only if MG
is up but out service.

900 MGC Service Restored ??

903 MGC Directed Change

Why would MGC needs to take terminations out of service?
For ephemeral, it does not make sense.
For physical, MG would know something is wrong with the termination
before MGC would.
Regardless, this is useful in a sense it prevents the MG from CHOOSING
a termination that MGC wants to be out of service.
I don't quite understand the needs for both Forced and Graceful here.
I would think that the MGC would have Subtract the terminations before
taking them out of service.  This is because Force or Graceful does not
take terminations out of context.
So seems like it is always Forced.

--
  Alcatel USA, Inc             Internet: [email-masked]
  1000 Coit Road Plano, Texas 75075           Phone:    (972) 519-4613
  **** The opinions expressed are not those of Alcatel USA, Inc ****