Subject: Lessons learned from H.248/Megaco collaboration

From: Greg Ratta <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 19:16:45 -0500

As we step back from the events of the recent interactions of the
ITU and the IETF concerning the "collaboration" on the
specification of H.248 / MEGACO, it is clear - at least to me - that
there is opportunity for improvement in the manner in which such
collaboration is executed.  I have purposefully delayed the
transmission of this message to allow some reduction of the
tension;  however, it is important that this issue be addressed
before we forget entirely, because I fear that two potential results
could be either resistance to any future collaboration or the
establishment of a rigid 'one size fits all' process.  Either of these
results would be detrimental to the operations of both organizations
and to the needs of the industry and its consumers.

It surprised me that, even at the final hours of determination of the
ITU specification, there was no written agreement between the
management teams of the respective organizations.  In horror, I
watched the various collections of individuals spinning towards
conclusions without a common understanding of what agreements
existed, or what the next step should be in the sister organization
(and sometimes in their own organization!), or how to reach the end
game.

My conclusion is that the single most effective process
improvement would be to require that an agreement on the process
/ project plan be written down and signed-off by the "appropriate
management team" of the two organizations at the start of any
future collaboration.  TSAG and the ISOC VP for Standards should
draw up this requirement and indicate what the "appropriate
management team" means.  Such an agreement would allow the
leadership to manage the expectations of their respective
organizations and form a structure for the front line - essentially
volunteer - group leaders to follow.

My comments should not be mis-interpretted as a criticism of any
one - or collection - of individuals;  we all share some level of
culpability for the manner in which past events have played out.
My desire is to improve the chance of success in future
collaboration.  Success for me means not only achieving the most
technically correct and optimal specification, but respecting the
dignity of all the participants and the processes of the involved
organizations.

Greg Ratta, Vice Chairman, ITU-T WP 1/11, Broadband Signalling
Lucent Technologies
Tel: +1 732 332 5174, Fax: +1 732 949 1196, [email-masked]