Subject: maximum size of a VALUE

From: Steven Magnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 19:19:49 -0500

This may be minor compared to other issues, but it seems that the maximum
size of a VALUE is 64 characters (not including quotes) in the ABNF syntax.
It should be larger, perhaps arbitrary. The ASN.1 definition of Value does
not have this limitation.

While this does not seem to be a concern with the basic packages, looking
ahead to upcoming packages such as the display and text telephone packages
in the otherpkgs draft and the cromwell ARF draft, there is a need to
support longer strings. The text telephone package, for example, defines
string parameters with a maximum of 256 characters and the others have
strings of arbitrary length where some larger string, such as a display or
text-to-speech announcement, would certainly be reasonable.

steve magnell

---

From: John Segers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 11:49:08 +0100

Steve,

Brian and I had a little discussion on this earlier coming to the same
conclusion.  The idea was to lift the restriction in the ABNF, but, as
you point out, we didn't actually do that.

John

--
John Segers                                  email: [email-masked]
Lucent Technologies                                        Room HE 306
Dept. Forward Looking Work                      phone: +31 35 687 4724
P.O. Box 18, 1270 AA  Huizen                      fax: +31 35 687 5954