Subject: H.248 Activity

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 09:53:50 -0800

Scott:

I have a question regarding the status of the Megaco/H.248 development
activity in Geneva. SG16 is busily trying to "decide" the H.248 document,
I'm told, and doing so in violation of its own procedures. It's procedures
call for "deciding" to be based on a stable document, while the document
before that house has changed substantively since October, and there are
numerous contributions to change it even today.

I understand that one of the key supporters of deciding the document this
week is Tom Taylor, the chair of Megaco. Monday morning, Tom opened a
Working Group last call on the IETF version of the document, which if any
of the current ITU contributions are accepted differs substantively from
the ITU document. By doing this, Tom cuts IETF review of the document out
of the loop.

I thought this was a joint development between IETF and ITU, a showcase of
that in fact, and that the IETF would review and agree to H.248 before it
was decided? What's going on here?

Fred
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Fred Baker      | 519 Lado Drive
IETF Chair      | Santa Barbara California 93111
www.ietf.org    | Desk:   +1-408-526-4257
                | Mobile: +1-805-886-3873
                | FAX:    +1-413-473-2403

---

From: Chip Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 03:27:45 -0500

FYI,
 From what I understand, the last call document,
draft-ietf-megaco-protocol-06.txt is
equivalent to the TD's (TD-33 plus TD-49)  brought into this meeting as
proposed replacement text for H.248.
We are attempting to do a line-by-line review of this now in SG16, but it
is slowgoing as you might guess.

The last call document does not include any comments made during the above
review or any changes due to company contributions into this meeting.

Theoretically, the output of this meeting could be fed back into the last
call comments.  it isn't clear what the end result of the SG16 meeting will
be in terms of approval.

BTW, the last call doesn't seem to have close date.

Chip

>was decided? What's going on here?

Support NetAid!  http://www.netaid.org
--------------------------------------------------
Chip Sharp                 Consulting Engineering
Cisco Systems              Telco Bio-region
Reality - Love it or Leave it.
--------------------------------------------------