Subject: Packages

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 09:53:22 +0100

Glen Freundlich and I have agreed (with consensus here) that the same
package will NOT be standardized by both the ITU-T and the IETF.  We may
cooperate in developing the packages, but after that they either go
through IETF Last Call or ITU-T decision but not both.  It occurs to me
that there is still a process issue on making package documentation
publicly available.  We can sort that out.

Anyway, consensus at this meeting was that SG 16 is prepared to
standardize all of the packages that were presented here with the
exception of the NAS package.  They definitely want to keep the
FAX/modem/text related stuff because this is where the experts are.
(E.g. V.90 is a standard created by SG 16.)

If anyone feels strongly about doing some of the other packages in the
IETF, we can negotiate.  As it is, most of the packages have been
determined and are slated for November decision as new annexes to H.248.

I'll put out a complete list of the packages concerned later -- I don't
have it immediately to hand.

Tom Taylor

---

From: Stephen Terrill <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 12:28:09 +0100

Hi Tom,

Just a "nit" as it seems to be called, when refering to ITU-T, I assume that you are refering to SG-16.  It is possible for other SGs to devolope packages, and they may not be aware of all the other ongoing work.

Cheers,

..//Steve

---

From: Matt Holdrege <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 09:57:30 -0800

I'll add a nit to your nit and advice you that the ITU-T is planning to
reorg later this year. There may no longer be a group called SG16. The work
will go on, but Q13 and 14 might move to other groups or simply get another
SG number.

Hopefully the ITU-T management understands the dynamics of creating
packages and will reorg to suit this style of work. It's a great
opportunity to revamp the ITU-T to meet our collective coming challenges.

At 12:28 PM 2/18/00 +0100, Stephen Terrill wrote:
>Hi Tom,
>
>Just a "nit" as it seems to be called, when refering to ITU-T, I assume
>that you are refering to SG-16.  It is possible for other SGs to devolope
>packages, and they may not be aware of all the other ongoing work.
>
>Cheers,
>
>..//Steve
>
>Tom Taylor wrote:
>