Subject: Signals Race Condition

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 19:39:13 -0600

Christian Groves has identified a race condition as follows:

Current signals descriptor contains s1(with or without other signals).
New signals descriptor also contains s1 (with or without other signals).

Case 1: new descriptor arrives before s1 is finished playing.  s1 continues
to its defined duration if not interrupted by an event.

Case 2: new descriptor arrives after s1 is finished playing.  s1 starts all
over again.

Christian's point is that the outcome of sending the second signals
descriptor matters from the user's point of view, but is potentially beyond
the MGC's control.

Workaround:   MGC requests a completion report for s1 and waits for it
before sending the second descriptor.

Do people see this as adequate in h.248v1, or do we need explicit syntax to
indicate which of continuation or restart is desired?

Tom Taylor
Advisor -- Emerging Carrier IP Standards
E-mail: [email-masked] (internally, Tom-PT Taylor)
Phone and FAX: +1 613 736 0961