Subject: Re: Order of descriptor processing.

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 07:58:27 -0500

Yes, order is definitely important for these descriptors.  Setting an active
Mode when the media stream is inadequately defined can lead to an error
condition.  Hence it is probably a good idea to put (and process)
LocalControl last.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Madhu Babu [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2000 4:02 AM
> To:   [email-masked]
> Subject:      Order of descriptor processing.
>
> HI all,
>
> "The descriptors SHALL be processed in the order in which they appear".
> Is this true for descriptors present as part of Media descriptor?
> For example, is the order important for local, remote and Local control
> descriptors that appear inside stream descriptor?
>
> -Madhubabu

---

From: Hemant Agrawal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:17:04 +0530

Hi Tom, list.
         The Local Control has the value for reservedValueMode and
reservedGroupMode, which are required in the processing of local and remote
descriptors.
Hence I believe, LocalControlDesc should be processed first.

Thanks
Hemant Agrawal

----- Original Message -----
From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2000 6:28 PM
Subject: Re: Order of descriptor processing.

> Yes, order is definitely important for these descriptors.  Setting an
> active Mode when the media stream is inadequately defined can lead to an
> error condition.  Hence it is probably a good idea to put (and process)
> LocalControl last.
>

---

From: John Segers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 14:30:56 +0200

Hemant,

You have a very valid point.  Taken together with Tom's comment, it
leads me to conclude that the local, remote and localcontrol descriptors
are so closely related that they should be processed together.  That is,
if all three are present, the MG shouldn't set the mode of the stream
before having processed local and remote.  Similarly, if local happens
to occur before localcontrol, the MG should inspect the reserveGroup and
reserveValue fields before reserving resources.

Cheers,

John

--
John Segers                                  email: [email-masked]
Lucent Technologies                                        Room HE 306
Dept. Forward Looking Work                      phone: +31 35 687 4724
P.O. Box 18, 1270 AA  Huizen                      fax: +31 35 687 5954