Subject: Repost: Megaco TerminationID and IUA Interface Identifier

From: Bouwen Jan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 12:34:05 +0200

Reposted because of earlier mail-server problems.

Hi all,

Megaco will be used in combination with SCTP+IUA in Media Gateways
providing ISDN Access. The ISDN terminations are referenced in Megaco
with a TerminationID, and in IUA with an Interface Identifier.

The Megaco TerminationID is
- a string for text encoding;
- a binary identifier of up to 8 octets for binary encoding.

In an earlier version of IUA, the Interface Identifier was a string,
which made it possible to use the same reference in text-encoded-Megaco
and IUA messages (see also draft-bouwen-megaco-isdn-00.txt for
examples).

As Brian Link pointed out to me, the latest version of IUA
(draft-ietf-sigtran-iua-02.txt) specifies that a 4 octet binary
identifier is to be used for the Interface Identifier.

I think it would be practical if the same ID could be used both for
Megaco and IUA. This would mean that IUA would have to be modified to
allow for the Interface Identifier:
- a string, when the text encoded version of Megaco is used;
- a binary identifier of up to 8 octets, for binary encoding of Megaco.

Perhaps we need two different Tags for this: one for a text string,
another one for a binary identifier.

Any thoughts ?

Jan
--
Jan Bouwen                                        ________________
__________________________________________________\              /______
Research Engineer, Network Architecture (DN9)      \   ALCATEL  /
E-mail : [email-masked]                  Network Strategy Group
Tel    : +32 3 240 87 72                        Francis Wellesplein  1
Fax    : +32 3 240 99 32                       B-2018 Antwerpen BELGIUM
_______________________________________________________\    /___________
                                                        \  /
                                                         \/