Subject: Last Call: draft-ietf-megaco-merged-01.txt

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 10:03:37 -0400

The ITU-T today formally approved H.248.  draft-ietf-megaco-merged-01.txt
provides the same text, obtained by merging
draft-ietf-megaco-protocol-08.txt and draft-ietf-megaco-errata-03.txt.
While the latter two have been approved for publication as standards-track
RFCs, I believe that the industry would find it more convenient to have a
single document to work from.

We have two choices:

(1) Run draft-ietf-megaco-merged-01.txt through Last Call and IESG review.
As well as providing a single document, this would fulfill  to the letter
our agreement with the ITU-T to republish H.248.

(2) Consider the currently approved documents to fulfill the ITU-T agreement
and carry the merged series as a living document, incorporating corrections
and clarifications mutually agreed upon by the IETF and ITU-T.

If we choose the first course of action, we have the problem of what to do
with any comments received during the review process.

I would like the advice of the list on where to go from here.  Above all, we
must preserve the benefits of having a single standard for the industry to
work with.

Tom Taylor
Phone and FAX: +1 613 736 0961
E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Mart Nurmet <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 09:18:40 -0500

Tom and all:

The position here is to support  the currently approved documents so that we
fulfill the ITU-T
agreement and get it distributed.  It is appropriate to carry the merged series
as a living document in this rapidly evolving technology. Then we need to
incorporating corrections and clarifications mutually agreed upon by the IETF
and ITU-T as they take place.  I'm sure that the ITU will also expedite those
necessary inclusions after appropriate deliberations.  So we support your option
#2.

-Mart