Subject: MGC-Initiated Handoff

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 23:56:58 -0400

Discussion with my colleagues has indicated that the issue as I raised it is
only the tip of a large iceberg.  In fact, Megaco development has focussed
on a set of possible control arrangements which admits of some variety but
does not cover all the cases of practical interest.  One of my colleagues is
preparing an I-D which will propose a new set of control arrangements for
study based on our experience with deployment of a softswitch-based carrier
network.  If the WG is favourable, I will propose that we take up this study
as an extension of the Megaco protocol.  In ITU-T terms, this would be a new
H.248 Annex or the beginnings of H.248v2, preferably the former to make it
easier to specify whether a particular MG supports the alternative
arrangement.

Tom Taylor
Phone and FAX: +1 613 736 0961
E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 17:34:16 +1000

G'Day Tom,

Can we decide when we see the draft? Typically people like to see things
before they accept it.

Cheers, Christian