Subject: Package Overlaps With Annex C

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 10:22:29 -0400

Annex C is in my mind an interim measure until packages catch up to provide
both a text and binary encoding.  of course, this view partly requires a few
more people to enter the discussion on whether packages can define
properties which go into Local and Remote.  Annex C certainly does.

That editorializing aside, we already have our first examples of collision
between Annex C and specific packages.  Here they are:

 C.1 Echocanc has codepoints for: Off, G.165, G.168.
 E.13 TDMC package has the echo cancellation property with codepoints On and
Off.

 C.1 Gain does not allow negative values (which are needed in practice to
dampen echo)
 E.13 TDMC package gain control property allows positive and negative
values.

There are other examples of duplicate definitions which are at least
consistent.

I propose that the following override to Annex C be added to the
Implementor's Guide:

"Where the same property is defined in Annex C and in a package supported by
both the MGC and the MG, the package definition shall be used in
communications between them."

Tom Taylor
Phone and FAX: +1 613 736 0961
E-mail: [email-masked]