Subject: MID Clarification

From: Bharat Kaul <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 14:52:59 -0700

Hi ,

I have a doubt concerning the usage of "MID" in the protocol.  In a IP V4
network, Mid has been is (IP address/domain name) and an optional port
number.

My doubt is that since the port number is specified as optional, is an
entity originating a message "ALLOWED" to specify port in MID in some
messages and skip in some by the protocol ?

Or does protocol require the originating entity to maintain a consistent MID
in all messages i.e. always use same MID across all messages (even in cases
where multiple connections/sockets are being used) ?

On a similar note,  does the port number in MID indicate the source port
from which message was transmitted or does it have any other significance ?

- thanks
  Bharat

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------
Bharat Kaul;                                      Trillium Digital Systems
Inc.
mailto:[email-masked]          12100 Wilshire Blvd,
Phone: +1-310-442-9222                Los Angeles, CA - 90025.
Fax:     +1-310-442-1162                  http://www.trillium.com

---

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 18:10:03 -0400

It should be consistent, and it should be the source port.
Implementations may need to consider rogue entities who spoof!

Brian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Bharat Kaul [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2000 9:05 PM
> To: Rosen, Brian
> Subject: MID Clarification
>
>
>
> Hi Brian,
>

---

From: "flynn, martin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 11:32:03 -0400

Hi Brian,

How does this match up with the example in Appendix A (F?) of the spec.?
The MG first registers as [124.124.124.222] but then calls itself
[124.124.124.222]:55555.

Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: Rosen, Brian
Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2000 11:10 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: MID Clarification

Brian

---

From: Bharat Kaul <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 12:28:25 -0700

I am more concerned about this due to virtual MG's. A MGC controlling a set
of virtual MG's should have a unique way of distinguishing each one of them
and source port is one of the ways of doing so. Am wondering if protocol
requires virtual MG's over a single interface to have different source port
number always as part of MID or are there other mechanisms to help MGC
identify the source entity correctly ?

However, one problem I see with MID being consistent is that, for example,
on MG side using a TCP connection to MGC, my connection can go down locally.
Once MG re-establishes connection and sends a Service Change message again
indicating communication is restored, its source port may no longer be the
same. So MID cannot really be required to be consistent. And this further
complicates life with virtual MG's.

Any comments or clarifications are appreciated.

- Bharat

-----Original Message-----
From: flynn, martin [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, June 12, 2000 8:32 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: MID Clarification

Hi Brian,

Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: Rosen, Brian
Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2000 11:10 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: MID Clarification

Brian