Subject: Re: MGC-Initiated Control

From: Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 09:56:21 -0700

> I have 1 MGC and 3000 MGs.  This is a real-world situation which we all
> face in implementing PSTN gateways.  It is not a speculative architecture,
> it is the predominate architecture: single MGC many MGs...

This is also exactly the scenario for which MGCP and Megaco were designed.
Nothing really new there. I fail to see why having the MGC initiate the
connections would scale any better than the other way around. For security
reasons, you have to parameterize the MG with some information about the
MGC, at least a  shared secret or a certificate. If you can do that, then
providing the domain name of the MGC does not add much constraint.

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 12:21:00 -0500

Christian,

I understand that you have considerable experience in this area.  How did
you intend to handle the recovery situation where the network between MGC
and MG is interrupted and all MGs attempt to reconnect as soon as the
network is re-established?

--
Brian F. G. Bidulock