Subject: Re: MGC-Initiated Control

From: Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 11:00:10 -0700

> I understand that you have considerable experience in this
> area.  How did
> you intend to handle the recovery situation where the network
> between MGC
> and MG is interrupted and all MGs attempt to reconnect as soon as the
> network is re-established?

This is discussed at length in the MGCP documentation (ask the Cable Labs).
Basically, you use a random spreading of the [re]connection attempts over an
appropriate time interval, and you skew the spreading so that MG's that
actually need to speak, because they have some change of state to report,
become more impatient than those with nothing special to say. Note that this
second part, providing priority to the MG's that need it most, would be
impossible in an MGC-driven reconnection. Also, doing it "from the MG"
reduces the load at the MGC, which does not need to maintain timers, etc.

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 13:14:55 -0500

Christian,

Thanks for the tips.  Are you referring to your v5 draft of MGCP?  Does it
include recommended time intervals and priorities?

Also, I am confused as to which timers do not need to be maintained doing
it "from the MG".

--
Brian F. G. Bidulock