Subject: Question on Keep Alives

From: Natarajan Kalpathy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:25:23 -0600

This question is regarding the keep alives between MGC and MG.

why dont we use Service change Command for Keep alive mechanism . We can extend
the Service change method to include
Keep Alive Method. The advantage being :-

1) The polling mechanism can either be at MGC or MG . (i-e it can be provisioned
to exist either at MGC or MG)
2) If we Use Notify then there are 4 Msgs going back and forth between MGC and
MG for each keep alive interval.

MODIFY(Event descriptor = KEEP ALIVE);
MODIFTRSP();

NOTIFY(KEEP ALIVE)
NOTIFYREPLY()

regards,
Natarajan

---

From: Paul Long <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 17:54:32 -0600

Does the text encoding use a context-free grammar? This cannot be discerned
from the ABNF. For example, does "A" always represent the AddToken and never
a name, e.g., a digitMapName?

Paul Long
ipDialog, Inc.

---

From: Troy Cauble <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 19:18:06 -0500

> a name, e.g., a digitMapName?

No.