Subject: some questions, opinions wanted

From: Willfoor Orey DelaBarraca <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 13:05:28 -0000

I need help to answer any this questions;any help would be very thanked!

-Is the megaco (h.248) enough nature like to be widely deployed?In which
"enviroments"?Which significant references do you know?

-do you think it will the "leader" solution in the market?

thank you for your help
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com

---

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 09:42:48 -0500

This is, of course, an unanswerable question.

My opinion is that the protocol is stable enough to be deployed,
but it is still early, so you should expect some interoperability issues,
and thus you should expect to participate in the interop events that
are occurring if you are creating a Megaco implementation, or, if you are
a customer, you should require evidence that your vendor successfully
participates in these events.

The markets it will be deployed in are pretty varied.  It seems to me
that it will find the most use in larger gateways where the compute
load of the signalling warrants removing it to a real computer rather than
embedding it in the gateway.  It will also be used in CPE where the network
operator is not prepared to allow it's actual signalling protocols to
execute on customer premise equipment, and thus needs a lower level protocol
to remote the signalling to an entity it controls.

The major issue for Megaco/H.248 is whether it will supplant MGCP.
I think it will, but that is a guess.  We have some evidence that
some carriers are now telling vendors they will require Megaco in the
future,
where we have very few carriers telling vendors they will require MGCP.
The obvious exception is the PacketCable specs, which are built around MGCP.

Brian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Willfoor Orey DelaBarraca [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, December 04, 2000 8:05 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: some questions, opinions wanted
>
>