Subject: Difference between InService and Test Termination States

From: Kapil Nayar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 15:34:19 +0530

Hi Tom,

What is the difference between "INSERVICE" and "TEST" from the MG perspective ?
Eg:
Do we have a media only in "INSERVICE" or
Do we allow an "ADD" only in "INSERVICE" etc.

-Kapil Nayar
Hughes Software Systems

---

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 10:20:02 -0500

>Do we allow an "ADD" only in "INSERVICE" etc.

When we were trying to nail down the intention of our service states, we had trouble assigning particular meanings to them.  I
suspect we could have made use of service models developed for other protocols, but we didn't.  I will also note that the existing
models tend to be multi-dimensional, reflecting both an equipment state (physical reality) and an administrative state
(restrictions
on use imposed through management action).  You can end up with at least a half dozen states, not just the three we've defined
in our protocol, if you consider the various possible combinations.

Anyway, you can't really assign an operational meaning to the "test" state in the MG which is different from "in-service".  The
intention is really that billable traffic should only be handled by an in-service termination (and even this statement may be too
strong).  In any event, only the MGC can know whether a given media flow is being enabled for test purposes or as part of a call.

Tom Taylor