Subject: Error Descriptor Problems

From: "Prozan, Rakefet [LOD:Telrad:SMTPPART]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 10:48:08 +0200

Hi all,

I have 2 questions regarding the errorDescriptor:

1) It is written in rfc3015.txt (page 61):

  " The TransactionReply includes
   the return values for the Commands that were executed successfully,
   and the Command and error descriptor for any Command that failed."

   So, I understand that if a command failed ,the reply will include the
 command token ,the TerminationID & the errorDescriptor.

  For instance, if there is an illegal parameter in one of the
  descriptors of an Add command, the reply  will look like:

  Add=55555{Error=455{Parameter illegal in this Descriptor}}.

  But on the other hand,the following definitions allow sending of
  other descriptors in the same command with the errorDescriptor:

ammsReply            = (AddToken / MoveToken / ModifyToken /
                           SubtractToken ) EQUAL TerminationID [ LBRKT
                           terminationAudit RBRKT ]

terminationAudit     = auditReturnParameter *(COMMA
                        auditReturnParameter)

auditReturnParameter = (mediaDescriptor / modemDescriptor /
                           muxDescriptor / eventsDescriptor /
                           signalsDescriptor / digitMapDescriptor /
                     observedEventsDescriptor / eventBufferDescriptor /
                           statisticsDescriptor / packagesDescriptor /
                            errorDescriptor / auditItem )

Shouldn't it be:

terminationAudit     = (auditReturnParameter *(COMMA
                        auditReturnParameter))/errorDescriptor   ????

Please,correct me if I'm wrong...

2)In "8.2.2 TransactionReply",  it is written:

   "If the end of a command cannot be reliably determined it will return
   442 Syntax Error in Command as the reply to the last action it can
   parse."

    I understand from this text that in case that there were
    a few commands in the commandRequestList & only one of
them is erroneous, the Transaction Reply will include this context
twice:
  The first one with reply to the correct commands & the second one with
   error descriptor instead of the erroneous command.

  Am I right?

Many thanks in advance,
--
Rakefet Prozan,
Team Manager, S/W Development
ATS SBU
Telrad Networks
ESN 828-3043   Email:[email-masked]

                                       """
                                     -(o o)-
+---------------------------------oOO--(_)--OOo--------------+

                               .oooO         Oooo.
-------------------------------(   )---------(   )------------
                                \ (           ) /
                                 \_)         (_/

Have fun !!!

---

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 08:20:21 -0500

1. Your suggestion is probably correct.  Perhaps a Implementor's Guide item.

2. No, you would see something like:
Context=5555{Add=term1, Modify=term2, error=442....

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Prozan, Rakefet [LOD:Telrad:SMTPPART]
To: [email-masked]
Sent: 12/19/00 3:48 AM
Subject: Error Descriptor Problems

Hi all,

Shouldn't it be:

  Am I right?

Many thanks in advance,

                                       """
                                     -(o o)-

                               .oooO         Oooo.

Have fun !!!