Subject: MEGACO: Descriptor order significance?

From: Troy Cauble <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:44:22 -0500

The Add, Move, and Modify commands each take several descriptor
arguments.  Both the ABNF and ASN.1 encodings happen to encode
these descriptors in lists of any order.

Is there any significance to the order of these descriptors?

-troy

---

From: "Griffeth, Nancy D (Nancy)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 08:25:11 -0500

Troy,

The standard says there is; in section 7.2:

"The descriptors SHALL be processed in the order in which they appear."

This creates a problem if an AuditDescriptor appears before certain other
descriptors.  For example, if an AuditDescriptor contains a mediaToken and
is followed by a MediaDescriptor with some under- or over-specified
parameters,
the requirements become inconsistent.  According to the requirement quoted
above, the location of the audit descriptor requires that the original
media descriptor be returned.

In Section 7.1.1, the following statement appears:

"Whenever a parameter is underspecified or overspecified, the descriptor
containing the value chosen by the responder is included as output from the
command."

So if the subsequent media descriptor has under- or over-specified
parameters,
the new media descriptor must be returned.  But the syntax allows only one
media
descriptor.

I posted to the list earlier about this problem, but there's been no reply.

Nancy

-----Original Message-----
From: Troy Cauble [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2000 10:44 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: MEGACO: Descriptor order significance?

-troy