Subject: [Megaco] RE: [RE: What is the Tone???]

From: Al Varney <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 00:14:22 -0500

Giving the new list address a try...

At 03:16 PM 7/9/01 -0400, Tom-PT Taylor wrote:
>Kevin's point is that your question is incomplete.  You should specify 
>which country the equipment is operating in -- otherwise it is impossible 
>to give a definitive answer.

    Actually, Tom, the question was a phrased a little differently the 
second time (Suspend/Resume vs. going on-hook), and so a different answer 
is in order.

Balak,
    If you are asking about ISUP Suspend/Resume (network initiated), the 
procedures in Q.764 are pretty clear -- Suspend and Resume do NOT alter the 
circuit or voice connection between exchanges.  Suspend starts a timer or 
two, Resume cancels the timer(s).  At no time is the connection between 
exchanges broken in either direction, and no tone is added.  The calling 
party hears silence, assuming there are no other parties on the 
connection.  I don't believe this differs at all from one country to another.

    If you are asking about ISDN Suspend/Resume (and the Terminal 
Portability capability), the procedures in Q.931 are also clear (at least 
for two-party calls).  Suspend starts a couple of timers, breaks the 
B-channel connection to the remaining party and generates a clear-back 
indication on associated incoming trunks.  For ISUP trunks, an ISUP Suspend 
(ISDN user initiated) is generated on the associated incoming or outgoing 
trunk.  No tone is added, the calling or called party hears silence.  If 
Resume is received from the ISDN terminal, the B-channel is reconnected and 
clear-back is canceled (ISUP sends Resume).  The non-suspending party will 
hear ... silence.

    If the call/connection is actually cleared (Released) after one party 
disconnects, then Kevin's statement below about tones/treatment at the 
other end being different in different countries applies.

    Should you still be interested in the topic, Q.118 is worth 
examining.  (Q.118 and most non-ISUP documents use the term "clear-back" to 
represent the signal sent backwards when an analog called party goes 
on-hook -- ISUP replaced an explicit Clear-Back message in TUP [Q.724] with 
Suspend in order to support ISDN-user Suspend procedures.)   For ISDN 
interactions, Q.699 and Q.733 are also useful.

Al Varney  --  [email-masked]

>-----Original Message-----
>From: gigyasu balak [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: Friday, July 06, 2001 5:09 PM
>To: Boyle, Kevin [NCRTP:3Z30:EXCH]; [email-masked];
>[email-masked]
>Cc: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: [RE: What is the Tone???]
>
>Thank you every one for the response. Even though this not the place to put
>this query, but hope some one will help me out. What is the tone to be played
>to the calling party, when the called party go through the phase of suspend
>and resume???
>thanks
>Balaka
>
>"Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > ---------------------------------------------
> >       Attachment:
> >       MIME Type: multipart/alternative
> > ---------------------------------------------
>Once again, I reiterate -- different parts of the world do different things.
>Research into the appropriate requirements for the portion of the world
>which you are trying to support will provide the information needed.  Call
>processing behavior is outside the scope of the protocol, and this working
>group.  Making definitive statements as to what behavior should be will only
>confuse people.
>
>Kevin
>
>  -----Original Message-----
>From:   [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent:   Friday, July 06, 2001 1:00 PM
>To:     Boyle, Kevin [NCRTP:3Z30:EXCH]; [email-masked];
>[email-masked]
>Cc:     [email-masked]
>Subject:        RE: What is the Tone???
>
>Hi,
>
>     The switch initially stops the loop current for about 800ms and then
>switches it on again (sounds like click). This is repeated a couple of
>times. If the user still doesn't hang up, the tone/announcement played
>depends upon the treatment configured within the switch. It could
>potentially be dial tone/ busy tone/ announcement. this is followed by
>permanent signal tone.
>
>Hemant
>
>Madhu Babu Brahmanapally wrote:
>
>      HI Balaka,
>      This depends on the Call control. Some MGC (Intelligent) may provide
>dial tone
>   immediately indicating that the user can initiate another call. Another
>possibility is to
>   generate busy tone/reorder tone indicating that there is no transmission
>path with the
>   other end.  Hope there might be some specific tone for this too, at least
>iam not
>   aware of that.
>
>      Regards
>      Madhubabu
>
>        -----Original Message-----
>        From: [email-masked]
>        [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Kevin
>        Boyle
>        Sent: Friday, July 06, 2001 11:25 AM
>        To: gigyasu balak; [email-masked]
>        Subject: RE: What is the Tone???
>
>        That is very much dependent on where the party that remains off-hook
>        happens to be.  As such, that information is outside the scope of the
>
>        protocol.  A scan of the requirements that apply to the region in
>question
>        should answer your question.
>
>        Kevin
>
>         -----Original Message-----
>        From:   gigyasu balak [mailto:[email-masked]]
>        Sent:   Friday, July 06, 2001 11:15 AM
>        To:     [email-masked]
>        Subject:        What is the Tone???
>
>        Hi
>        what is the tone that will be played to the called party (calling
>party) when
>        calling party(Called party) goes onhook.
>
>        Balaka.
>

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco