Subject: [Megaco] ServiceChange Method Usage

From: "Andrew Russell-laing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 10:30:21 +0100

RFC3015 section 7.2.8 defines the usage of the ServiceChange command for
registration using the
method "RESTART". This is described for usage in the MG to MGC direction.

In our application, as a result of MGC recovery/failure actions, an MGC may
optionally require its dependent MG(s)
to perform a cold boot restart.

To do this we could use the ServiceChange method "RESTART" in the MGC to MG
direction. Alternatively we could
use the Extension Parameter and define a proprietary method of "REQUEST
RESTART".

Whilst the syntax of the H.248 protocol does not preclude the usage of the
RESTART method in the MGC to MG
direction, there is no supporting text to suggest the validity of doing this.

Can the H.248 protocol specifiers please give a ruling on the validity of using
service change method "RESTART" in
the MGC to MG direction.

Thanks

Andrew Russell-Laing
Marconi

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Sean Leahy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 08:55:41 +0100

Tom,
     When the MG or MGC sends a Service Change (Restart), would you clarify
whether the ServiceChangeAddress parameter in the received command contains the
address of the sender (MG or MGC) or is this always the address of the MGC ?

Sean Leahy

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 08:25:28 -0400

Section 7.2.8 is clear that if the MG is sending the
SerrviceChange(Restart), the ServiceChangeAddress is an optional additional
piece of information indicating where future MGC requests are to be sent.
Now let's apply this if it is the MGC sending the request:
ServiceChangeAddress is optional, and if provided it indicates where the MG
sends future requests.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sean Leahy [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2001 3:56 AM
To: Taylor, Tom-PT [NORSE:B881:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]; Richard Saffrey; Richard Watts
Subject: RE: [Megaco] ServiceChange Method Usage

Tom,
     When the MG or MGC sends a Service Change (Restart), would you clarify
whether the ServiceChangeAddress parameter in the received command contains
the
address of the sender (MG or MGC) or is this always the address of the MGC ?

Sean Leahy