Subject: RE: NotifyCompletion - was Re: g/sc SigID list

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 16:19:54 -0400

We were never able to make a satisfactory distinction in behaviour between
TO and BR. Whatever rules apply to one also apply to the other.  Hence
normal completion of a BR signal is by timeout.  Please note that OO
signalsmay often end because of recognition of an event. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Troy Cauble [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 3:20 PM
To: Terry L Anderson
Cc: MEGACO list
Subject: Re: NotifyCompletion - was Re: g/sc SigID list

Terry L Anderson wrote:
> 
> While were on the topic of signal completion events, what is the correct
> notificationReason and corresponding g/sc Meth value for the completion of
> a Brief signal?  I assume an on/off signal normally completes with SD and
> NotifyCompletion={IntBySigDescr} since it ends by MGC sending a new or
> empty signal descriptor and other signals can end this way.  I assume a
> timeout signal normally complete with TO and NotifyCompletion={TimeOut}.
> 
> But what does a Brief signal normally end with?  NC and
> NotifyCompletion={OtherReason}?  Seems odd to use this but none of the
> others are appropriate.  The description of NC "Not completed, other
> cause" seems odd since it DID complete.  Or is there no way to request a
> completion event for Brief signals?
> 
> Perhaps I do not understand the proper use of these three types.  I am
> puzzled by Annex K's announcements being listed as "OO, TO (default)".

This was changed with IG section 9.1.

> Since these announcements will often be a voice file of finite duration,
> they would normally play to end of file and quit.  This sounds like the
> description of "brief".  On/Off requires a new signal descriptor to turn
> it off.  TimeOut is "until turned off or a specific period of time
> elapses".  That sounds like a provisioned time period rather than simply
> end of file reached.  Or was TimeOut intended to cover this as well.  If
> so what is Brief intended for?

There was a discussion of the different signal types in the
thread "SignalType ?" from about 1/15/01 to 1/23/01.
Christian clarified some things there (IMO), but not everyone 
agreed.

I'm attaching one of his posts below.

-troy