Subject: RE: Modem descriptor and NAS pkgs...

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 15:48:43 -0400

I'll speak for the NAS package, which I must put back on track.  The
signalling required to set up a NAS call is call signalling, typically over
a PRI interface.  That signalling gets backhauled from the NAS/MG to the MGC
and is not a Megaco concern.  Typically you might use a SIGTRAN connection
(IUA/SCTP/IP) to carry it.
 
I have no idea what the modem parameters are supposed to be.  I'm copying
this message to Mike Buckley, who invented the modem descriptor but is no
longer participating actively on the list.  Perhaps he can give us an
answer.

-----Original Message-----
From: Palani Selvam [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2001 3:07 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Modem descriptor and NAS pkgs...

hi all,

About the modem decriptors, the RFC3015 just says the modem descriptor
specifies 
the modem type and parameters if any and lists out the modem types. 
Where can i get info on these modem parameters ? 
for that reason on the modem descriptors all together.

About the NAS, the requirements RFC2805 says the NAS terminates the modem 
signals. But the actual NAS pkg draft ( which has (un)fortunately expired,
will it be 
revised?? ) says none of its NAS packages holds any signals or
statististics. 

RFC2805 says Signaling comes into the MGC and MGC controls the NAS .. 
what signalling goes to MGC and from where???
Can someone help me out?? :(

The RFC3015 does not say anything about NAS at all , although it claims to
have 
met the requirements specified in RFC2805...?

The ietf draft on megaco-otherpkgs briefs about the modem packages(not any
where else) , But the draft seem to have expired long way back...?

With all the above, its not clear how to support modems and NAS pkgs. 
Can someone who had spent there time successfully on these help out.

Thanx(?....!....?). 
Palani.

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 11:25:31 +1000

I'd like to know if anybody is using the modem descriptor? The Call
Descrimination packages specify properties in local and remote. Perhaps
the modem descriptor is superflous???

Christian

Tom-PT Taylor wrote:
> signalling required to set up a NAS call is call signalling, typically
> over a PRI interface.  That signalling gets backhauled from the NAS/MG
> to the MGC and is not a Megaco concern.  Typically you might use a
> SIGTRAN connection (IUA/SCTP/IP) to carry it.
> 
> I have no idea what the modem parameters are supposed to be.  I'm
> copying this message to Mike Buckley, who invented the modem
> descriptor but is no longer participating actively on the list.
> Perhaps he can give us an answer.
> 
>      About the modem decriptors, the RFC3015 just says the modem
>      descriptor specifies
>      signals. But the actual NAS pkg draft ( which has
>      (un)fortunately expired, will it be
>      revised?? ) says none of its NAS packages holds any signals
>      or statististics.
> 
>      The RFC3015 does not say anything about NAS at all ,
>      although it claims to have
>      The ietf draft on megaco-otherpkgs briefs about the modem
>      packages(not any where else) , But the draft seem to have
>      expired long way back...?
>