Subject: RE: NotifyCompletion and g/sc Meth

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 10:25:58 -0400

Would the phrasing "...otherwise completed on its own..." rather than
"...otherwise ended on its own..." perhaps better express the intent?  You
originally brought up the question with respect to BR signals, as I recall
it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Terry L Anderson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 10:30 AM
To: Megaco Mailing List
Subject: NotifyCompletion and g/sc Meth

NotifyCompletion reasons and g/sc{Meth=XX} codes are abviously paired.
TimeOut           -- TO Duration expired
IntByEvent       -- EV Interrupted by event
IntBySigDescr -- SD Halted by new Signals Descriptor
OtherReason    -- NC Not completed, other cause

What is not so clear is which of these is appropriate for the case of a
signal that "plays to completion" for reasons other than time, e.g., a
voice announcement file.  The use of OtherReason/NC does not seem
appropriate, since this is usually used for errors and it controdicts
the "not completed" text.  Such signals could be of type "brief" or time
"timeout".  I believe that TimeOut/TO is the most appropriate, in spite
of time not being the real cause and in private discussions, others
suggest that this was the original intent.

The choice of words for the reason is unfortunate - NormalCompletion
might have been clearer.  The "Duration expired" is more applicable than
the "TimeOut".  I suggest we add language to make it clear that this is
the correct reason.

7.1.11 3rd paragraph
change the sentence to:
The possible cases are that the signal timed out (or otherwise ended on
its own), that it was interrupted ...

E.1.2 change the text after "TO" in Meth to
"TO" (0x0001) Signal Timed out or otherwise ended on its own.

I will  add this to the Implementors Guide unless there is an objection.

--
------------------------------------------------------------
Terry L Anderson              mailto:[email-masked]
Tel:908.582.7013   Fax:908.582.6729
Lucent Technologies/INS/Voice Over IP Access Networks
Rm 2B-121, 600 Mountain Av, Murray Hill, NJ 07974
http://its.lucent.com/~tla (Lucent internal) http://www.gti.net/tla

---

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 11:23:39 -0400

Perhaps a little better.  I will use it.

Tom-PT Taylor wrote:

> "...otherwise ended on its own..." perhaps better express the intent?
> You originally brought up the question with respect to BR signals, as
> I recall it.
>

--
Waiting for the other shoe to drop while hoping it's a one legged man.