Subject: RE: [Megaco] FW: [Fwd: H.248 Annex M comments]

From: "Larry Clarkson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 19:04:52 -0400

A perhaps more common override example is extended absence greetings
on voicemail - you don't want to lose your original for your temporary one.

		Comment e15: 
		------------- 

		You asked whether the Override Package is really needed.
This offers temporary replacement capability for provisioned segments, so
that the operator does not have to disturb existing provisioning.  Are you
saying that the value of this capability is not enough to justify the
additional MG development it would imply? 

		[<dcc>]  In the past we've had at least one Telco request
for this feature.  Let's say you have a department store, maybe Sears, which
has a standard greeting, e.g. "Welcome to Sears.  Our hours are from 10:00
am to 9:00 pm. .........".  A telco could provide a feature whereby someone
at Sears could call up and override this default announcement, e.g. "Welcome
to Sears.  Due to the bad weather Sears is closing today at 5:00 pm."   The
customer could also use the override to plug sales events or to have a
seasonal greeting, e.g. "Merry Christmas!  Welcome to Sears, your
headquarters for Christmas shopping......"

		 <<TD-51_Comments.doc>>

---

From: "Don Stanwyck" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 18:13:44 -0600

RE: [Megaco] FW: [Fwd: H.248 Annex M comments]We had this same debate in
PASS - and I still don't see why this (overrides) is a media server function
instead of an application server function.  The app server should send down
a different URL instead of relying on the media server to map between a real
URL and a "logical" URL previously sent.  The media server, as per the ISC's
working definition of it, doesn't maintain ANY feature logic, and to me
replacements are really aspects of feature server (app server) logic.

In the example provided below, the app server (voice mail server) is
responsible for sending the URL of the user's greeting to the media server.
When the application allows the user to use a different URL temporarily, the
application should merely note that it needs to send a different segment
identifier to the media server instead of telling the media server to keep
track of the fact that the override is in place.  Furthermore, the override
creates an opportunity for the media server and the application server to
get out of sync - requiring an ability to then audit the media server to see
if an override is in place or not.  (Do overrides continue across
reinitializations of the media server?  How does the app server audit the
media server to determine whether an override is in place or not?  If the
app server MUST maintain knowledge of the existence of the override, then
what is the value of the media server knowing about it as well?)

I wish we'd left them out of PASS, and I don't think they belong in Annex M.
But I'll probably lose this one too :-)
Don Stanwyck
VP Technology & Standards
IP Unity
tel. (303) 883-6386, fax (303) 452-1200
work: [email-masked],
home: [email-masked]
IM (AOL|YaHoo): ilJJamk

  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Larry Clarkson
  Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2001 5:05 PM
  To: [email-masked]'
  Subject: RE: [Megaco] FW: [Fwd: H.248 Annex M comments]

    A perhaps more common override example is extended absence greetings on
voicemail - you don't want to lose your original for your temporary one.

      Comment e15:
      -------------

      You asked whether the Override Package is really needed.  This offers
temporary replacement capability for provisioned segments, so that the
operator does not have to disturb existing provisioning.  Are you saying
that the value of this capability is not enough to justify the additional MG
development it would imply?

      [<dcc>]  In the past we've had at least one Telco request for this
feature.  Let's say you have a department store, maybe Sears, which has a
standard greeting, e.g. "Welcome to Sears.  Our hours are from 10:00 am to
9:00 pm. .........".  A telco could provide a feature whereby someone at
Sears could call up and override this default announcement, e.g. "Welcome to
Sears.  Due to the bad weather Sears is closing today at 5:00 pm."   The
customer could also use the override to plug sales events or to have a
seasonal greeting, e.g. "Merry Christmas!  Welcome to Sears, your
headquarters for Christmas shopping......"

       <<TD-51_Comments.doc>>