Subject: RE: [Megaco] FW: Topology Descriptor - What is the need?

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 11:44:42 -0400

The topology descriptor is needed for very specialized situations involving
more than two terminations in a context.  An example is where you want the
ability for an operator to break into a conference, talk to one party who
can still hear the conference in the background, but the operator cannot
either hear or talk to the other participants.  It is also useful for legal
intercept where you have to route the two directions of media flow for the
intercepted termination to separate wiretap terminations.  I'll warn you on
this one that in some people's opinion it fails to meet legal requirements
in the US because a craftsperson monitoring MGC messages could detect that
legal intercept is happening.

As for the modem descriptor, I put out a query ages ago asking whether we
could deprecate it.  I got no responses.

-----Original Message-----
From: Venkatesh A [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2001 2:22 AM
To: megaco
Subject: [Megaco] FW: Topology Descriptor - What is the need?

Any answers?

Regards
Venkatesh

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Venkatesh A
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2001 4:03 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Topology Descriptor - What is the need?

Halo Everybody,

I dont understand the real advantange of implementing the Topology
Descriptor in MEGACO.  Can somebody explain it along with a practical
situation where it is absolutely necessary?  I want to know the same for
Modem Descriptor also.

Thanks in advance.

Venkatesh

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 13:28:09 +1000

I'd vote for getting rid of the modem descriptor but brian came up with
a use case.

Christian

Tom-PT Taylor wrote:
> 
> The topology descriptor is needed for very specialized situations
> involving more than two terminations in a context.  An example is
> where you want the ability for an operator to break into a conference,
> talk to one party who can still hear the conference in the background,
> but the operator cannot either hear or talk to the other
> participants.  It is also useful for legal intercept where you have to
> route the two directions of media flow for the intercepted termination
> to separate wiretap terminations.  I'll warn you on this one that in
> some people's opinion it fails to meet legal requirements in the US
> because a craftsperson monitoring MGC messages could detect that legal
> intercept is happening.
> 
> As for the modem descriptor, I put out a query ages ago asking whether
> we could deprecate it.  I got no responses.
> 

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco