Subject: [Megaco] Inquiry in adoption of ID packages

From: "Cameron Young" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 14:13:13 -0700

To Megaco List:

I am involved in development of a softswitch for 2G/3G mobile applications,
and are implementing Megaco-based control.  We will support legacy telecom
interfaces in the product for some time to come.  In order to do so in a
standardized manner, we require the creation of packages to manage legacy
TDM / ISDN connections.

There are a couple of drafts (CAS Package, R2 Package) of interest in this
regard.  I read the IETF 51 minutes, and presume there is not clear
concensus that packages specifications are an important priority.
Consider this a vote supporting it as a priority.

I would ideally like to see specific packages explicitly listed as Megaco WG
deliverables with target dates.  Right now, many packages actively being
looked at by the group remain individual submissions.
(An alternative would be to create a separate WG strictly for packages
definition ... sort of a layer above the Megaco protocol group.)

That being said, are others building to the current draft specifications?
Do you expect them to remain relatively stable?

Regards,
Cameron Young
TELOS Technology

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 11:10:24 -0400

Comments inline.

Kevin

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	Cameron Young [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent:	Monday, August 27, 2001 5:13 PM
To:	megaco
Subject:	[Megaco] Inquiry in adoption of ID packages

To Megaco List:

The CAS draft is due for reissue imminently.  We certainly consider it a
priority.

Other interested parties have been forwarding comments, so I assume that
others are, or at least are considering, using the draft.  Hughes' R2 draft
is tied very closely to the CAS draft, and we are currently working with
Hughes on making both drafts cleaner, and more complementary.

The CAS draft is targeted as a Standards Track draft.  It should be very
stable -- in fact, we look to push for last call soon after publishing.

Regards,
Cameron Young
TELOS Technology