Subject: [Megaco] Duplicate package item IDs

From: Nigel Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 09:46:17 +0100

Hi there,

We have been looking at some package definitions recently and have
encountered an interesting issue.

We have noticed that some packages use the same text and/or binary ID for an
Event as for a Signal (or Property) in the same package.

For example, in the Basic CAS Package
(draft-manyfolks-megaco-caspackage-01.txt, September 2001), "sz (0x0001)" is
used as the ID for the Seizure signal as well as the Seizure event.

However, RFC3015 states in Section 12.1

"Names of all such defined constructs shall consist of the PackageID (which
uniquely identifies the package) and the ID of the item (which uniquely
identifies the item in that package)."

Does this mean that an item is identified uniquely by the combination of

- the descriptor the item is present in (a Signals descriptor or an
Events/EventBuffer/ObservedEvents descriptor)

- the item's ID.

Or should each item (Property/Event/Signal/Statistic) have a distinct ID?

We have also noticed that this issue is more common with binary IDs.  For
example, in the Annex F Fax package the "Fax connection state" property has
the same binary ID as the "Fax Connection State Change" event but they have
distinct text IDs.

Any comments would be gratefully received.

Regards
Nigel

-------
Nigel Williams
DC-MGCP/DC-Megaco Development Manager
Voice Networking Group
Data Connection Ltd
Tel: +44 20 8366 1177
Fax: +44 20 8363 1468
Email: [email-masked]
Web: http://www.dataconnection.com

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco