Subject: [Megaco] draft-tappenden-atm-AAL2-package-00.txt

From: "Naidu, Venkata" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 15:08:46 -0500

All:

  I have few comments w.r.t draft-tappenden-atm-AAL2-package-00.txt

  drafts reads  
	In this case the Terminating Gateway will designate 
	an available CID to be used in that connection for 
	the voice call. 

  I think, it will good to describe what CID to designate.
  It is always better to *recommed* a procedure which
  start from 8 and wraps arond 255 to avoid possible
  reuse of recently released CIDs between Orginating and
  Terminating Gateways.

  I didn't understand, why only egress (Terminating) gateway
  allocates CID. We can extend the procedure where Orginiating
  gateway can request a CID (just like Q.2630.x) (in SVC or 
  forward call setup models)

--Venkata Naidu

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Chris Tappenden" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 19:48:10 -0500

Venkata,

Thanks for the comments.  Responses are below.

Chris Tappenden
Alcatel
+1 (613) 784-1104

>   reuse of recently released CIDs between Orginating and

This was something that was almost added.  However I kept it out for the
moment in order to focus on the main point of this contribution
(attempting to resolve how to handle H.248 control of AAL2 and the
dynamic allocation/deallocation of multiple CIDs within an AAL2
connection)

>   forward call setup models)

The contribution was intended to cover gateways using non-AAL2
signalling (no Q.2630.x) with a backward SPVC call setup model.  In that
case the originating gateway should not know anything about the SPVC or
terminating MG until late in the call setup.  Thus it was more efficient
for the terminating MG to allocate the CID and didn't seem necessary for
the originating MG to be involved.

Ultimately there should be procedures covering other scenarios (e.g.
forward call setup models with SPVCs, forward call setup models with
SVCs and backward call setup models with SVCs) some of which will be
different.

---

From: "Chris Tappenden" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 19:48:10 -0500

Venkata,

Chris Tappenden
Alcatel
+1 (613) 784-1104