Subject: [Megaco] Call Progress Tones Generator Pkg

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:31:12 -0500

The Call Progress Tones Generator pkg in Annex E.7 has little
information about the tones and simply points to ITU E.180 in the
procedures section.  This is sufficient for simple tones like dial tone,
but it leave a bit of ambiguity about more complex tones like Busy or
Call Waiting that have cadence.  Does the defined tone include silence
periods for the cadence or is it simply the tone for the "on" phase?

For example, the Call Waiting tone is "one or more cycles" of a tone
400-450 Hz with a cadence of
    on 300-500 ms, followed by silence for 8-10 sec, or
    on 100-200 ms, silence for 100-200 ms, on 100-200ms (total to be no
more than 500 ms), followed by silence for 8-10 sec

So does tone=cw simply give the 400-450 Hz tone leaving the cadence to
be controlled by MGC using duration and interleaved silence tones?  Or,
should the entire tone, choice of cadence and "one or more cycles" be
provisioned in MG as a signal and simply truncated if the specified
duration expires?

One complication is that the ITU intent is that voice be heard during
the 8-10 sec silence gap.  I am not sure how many MGs continue to
transfer media packets mid signal playout.  If not, they would not play
voice if the 8-10 s of silence were implemented as part of the signal.

It seems that the package should define whether tones include the
cadence and repetitions.

--

------------------------------------------------------------
Terry L Anderson              mailto:[email-masked]
Tel:908.582.7013   Fax:908.582.6729
Lucent Technologies/INS/Voice Over IP Access Networks
Rm 2B-121, 600 Mountain Av, Murray Hill, NJ 07974
http://its.lucent.com/~tla (Lucent internal) http://www.gti.net/tla