Subject: [Megaco] Partially wildcarding ContextIds

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 12:42:55 -0500

ContextId may use the CHOOSE and ALL wildcard as the entire Id but may
NOT be partially wildcarded.  This restriction is stated explicitly for
binary near the end of Annex A.1 and enforced in the syntax rule of both
binary and text encoding.  IG item 6.53 added text to 6.1.1 that is less
clear but might be read this way:

§ ContextID. A wildcarding mechanism using two types of wildcards can be
used with ContextIDs.  The two wildcards are ALL and CHOOSE.  The former
is used to address ALL (except the NULL context) Contexts at once in a
command request and/or reply, while the latter is used to indicate to a
media gateway that it must create a Context.

However, 8.1.2 might confuse the reader since it states the restriction
for CHOOSE but omits the restriction in the description of ALL.

To avoid this I believe we should either add the matching sentence:
    "The MGC shall not use partially specified ContextIDs containing the
ADD wildcard."
to the next paragraph describing ALL, or move the sentence:
    "The MGC shall not use partially specified ContextIDs containing the
CHOOSE wildcard."
to after the discussion of ALL, and add ALL to the sentence:
    "The MGC shall not use partially specified ContextIDs containing the
CHOOSE or ADD wildcards."

Unless someone objects (or prefers that second choice) I will add the
first choice (additional sentence) as a new IG item.
--

------------------------------------------------------------
Terry L Anderson              mailto:[email-masked]
Tel:908.582.7013   Fax:908.582.6729
Lucent Technologies/INS/Voice Over IP Access Networks
Rm 2B-121, 600 Mountain Av, Murray Hill, NJ 07974
http://its.lucent.com/~tla (Lucent internal) http://www.gti.net/tla

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:27:07 +1100

G'Day terry,

I like the second choice. You may want to change ADD to ALL though.

Cheers, Christian

> first choice (additional sentence) as a new IG item.

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:27:07 +1100

G'Day terry,

Cheers, Christian