Subject: [Megaco] Deprecating Binary

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:13:39 -0500

As you all know, I'm not in favor of changing the protocol any time
soon (the "V2" argument).  However, since we are discussing protocol
changes, and discussions are always welcome, I'd like to propose that
we deprecate binary.

We have found in actual implementations, that there is very little
difference between binary and text in both message size and
processing time, and in both cases, text is superior (yes folks,
text messages are, on average SMALLER then the equivalent binary).

We have also found that few implementations exist of binary (around
1 or 2 out of 20).

For these reasons, I suggest that binary be deprecated.  Of course,
we can leave "backwards compatibility" language.

Brian

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Blatherwick, Peter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:43:20 -0500

I agree with this thought.  Reasoning for me is complexity of stack implementation, which leads to larger footprint, higher development cost and reduced reliability.  Also, it has taken a great deal of WG effort just to produce the encoding and keep them in synch -- a headache which distracts us from getting important stuff that actually makes a functional difference right.  

-- Peter Blatherwick
(at risk of being hit in some of the cross-fire which is almost certain to come up ;-)  

-----Original Message-----
From: Rosen, Brian [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: December 13, 2001 12:14
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Megaco] Deprecating Binary

Brian