Subject: [Megaco] Statistics and Move

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 16:23:10 -0500

Statistics on a termination are defined in two ways:
1.     6.2 says:
    "Statistics are reported...when the termination is taken out of the
call it is in."

2.    7.1.15 says:
    "The Statistics parameter provides information describing the status
and usage of a Termination during its existence with a specific
Context."

I don't think a "call" is a well defined concept in H.248, but perhaps
these two statements are consistent if we associate a "call" with a
context.  The issue is, if a termination is Moved to a different
termination, is it in the same call (one party is probably the same but
the other may not be)?  Or, more specifically are its statistics
zero'ed.

Subtract clearly zeros them since ephemerals disappear and physicals get
default values when returned to NULL context, and we state this as the
last sentence in 7.1.15.  The issue is for a Move.  We never clearly
state this for Move, but from the current language defining what
statistics mean, I assume that they ARE zero'ed.  It would help if that
last sentence in 7.1.15 included Move (or if they are NOT cleared, we
state that).

We report statisics, by default, on a Subtract, but NOT on a Move.  So
if statistics are zero'ed by the move, then one must remember to add a
Statistics Descriptor to Move to get them where this is not needed for a
Subtract.  It would seem to be consistent we would have reported
statistics by default on all commands that zero them rather than only on
Subtract.

--

------------------------------------------------------------
Terry L Anderson              mailto:[email-masked]
Tel:908.582.7013   Fax:908.582.6729
Lucent Technologies/INS/Voice Over IP Access Networks
Rm 2B-121, 600 Mountain Av, Murray Hill, NJ 07974
http://its.lucent.com/~tla (Lucent internal) http://www.gti.net/tla

---

From: Sankar Raman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:24:41 -0500

Terry:

You mentioned that we would accumulate statistics when we
Move a termination from one context to another non null context.
i.e the stats collected in pevious context gets added.

What about the nt package - "Duration"
"Description: Provides duration of time the termination has been in context"

Is this also cumulative ?? If so, should the text be changed to something
like "duration of time termination has been in non null context(s)" ??

At 04:23 PM 3/7/02 -0500, Terry L Anderson wrote:
>Terry L Anderson              <mailto:[email-masked]>mailto:[email-masked]
><http://its.lucent.com/~tla>http://its.lucent.com/~tla (Lucent internal)
<http://www.gti.net/tla>http://www.gti.net/tla

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Sankar Raman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:24:41 -0500

Terry:

---

From: "Madhu Babu Brahmanapally" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:51:09 -0500

HI ALL,
The "duration" should also be accumulated and IMO the description needs
modification to "duration of time termination has been in non null
context(s)"..
Regards
Madhubabu

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Sankar Raman
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 10:25 AM
To: Terry L Anderson; Megaco Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Megaco] Statistics and Move

Terry:

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco
---
[This E-mail was scanned for viruses and is clean.]

---

From: "Madhu Babu Brahmanapally" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:51:09 -0500

HI ALL,

-----Original Message-----

Terry:

---

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:46:21 -0500

Yes, statistics belong to a termination and NOT a context and they are zero'ed
only by a subtract (which effectively ends a termination, ephemerals go away and
physicals go to NULL and get default values of all parameters).  Move should not
change the values of any statistic or parameter (unless it is changed
explicitely by a descriptor in the command).

We need to find all such wording referring to context and fix it.

--

---

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:46:21 -0500

--