Subject: [Megaco] How to send a request from MG->MGC

From: John Stock <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 18:11:48 -0800

How would "request" be sent from the MG->MGC?  For example, if the MG wishes
to perform a channel test on a DN and wishes the MGC to reserve the line for
some period of time.  The only thing that seems possible is by using a
Notify command with an ObservedEvents descriptor indicating the channel test
request.  However this kind of seems inappropriate - it's not really an
event to be notified it's more of a request to be made.

Thanks.

John Stock
Systems Engineer
Advanced Fibre Communications
1465 N. McDowell Blvd.
Petaluma, CA 94954
Tel. 707-792-6249

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Dan Elbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 17:30:19 +0200

As you say, this can only be modeled as an event.
Is not pretty but people have done similar things.
I would say that even in this scenario the decision is up to the MGC which
is the controlling entity.

Dan Elbert
RADVISION

--

------------------------------------------------------------
Terry L Anderson              mailto:[email-masked]
Tel:908.582.7013   Fax:908.582.6729
Lucent Technologies/INS/Voice Over IP Access Networks
Rm 2B-121, 600 Mountain Av, Murray Hill, NJ 07974
http://its.lucent.com/~tla (Lucent internal) http://www.gti.net/tla

---

From: Dan Elbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 17:30:19 +0200

Dan Elbert
RADVISION

--

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor"<[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 07:43:14 -0500

This is one of the things ServiceChange is for.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Stock [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 9:12 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Megaco] How to send a request from MG->MGC

Thanks.

John Stock
Systems Engineer

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor"<[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 07:43:14 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: John Stock [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 9:12 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Megaco] How to send a request from MG->MGC

Thanks.

John Stock
Systems Engineer

---

From: Al Varney <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 12:27:03 -0600

>>event to be notified it's more of a request to be made.

    I agree with Tom's answer.  Certainly this would be useful when MG 
"line units" fail or a line fault (power cross) occurs.  For line testing 
however, one question would be "can the MGC deny the ServiceChange request?".

    Or maybe ServiceChange isn't need for line tests.  Typically the 
DN/line test is short and infrequent.  In the rare case where the MGC 
actually attempts to connect to a DN-under-test, the MG could respond with 
an error indicating temporary unavailability or "destination out of 
service" (ISUP term).  [This approach is consistent with line tests for 
digital loop carrier systems today.  View the DLC remote as a MG and the CO 
switch as a MGC.]

    Alternatively, if line testing status should be known by the MGC, maybe 
such testing should be initiated by the MGC.  [This would be consistent 
with directly-connected lines on modern CO switches and PABXs, where the 
MGC would bridge test equipment terminations to the tested line.  Needs a 
line test package?]

Al Varney

---

From: Al Varney <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 12:27:03 -0600

Al Varney

---

From: Matt Holdrege <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 10:45:43 -0800

At 10:27 AM 3/6/2002, you wrote:
> actually attempts to connect to a DN-under-test, the MG could respond 
> with an error indicating temporary unavailability or "destination out of 
> digital loop carrier systems today.  View the DLC remote as a MG and the 
> CO switch as a MGC.]
>
>    Alternatively, if line testing status should be known by the MGC, 
> maybe such testing should be initiated by the MGC.  [This would be 
> consistent with directly-connected lines on modern CO switches and PABXs, 
> where the MGC would bridge test equipment terminations to the tested 
> line.  Needs a line test package?]

All this and more has been discussed ad nauseum on the MEGACO list in the 
past. Check the archives. Oh? Don't want to scroll through 5000 GB of old 
emails? I don't blame you. When is that MEGACO book coming out Brian?

---

From: Matt Holdrege <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 10:45:43 -0800