Subject: RE: [Megaco] How MGC to Put a Trunk Group out of Service Graceful ly?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 11:57:32 +0530

Hello Kevin/List,

Please find attached our comments below.

Thanks and Regards,
MEGACO Team.
www.hssworld.com

"Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]> on 02/28/2002 09:01:08 AM

To:   Raphael Tryster <[email-masked]>, Usha Iyer <[email-masked]>,
      Zhang Yuyong <[email-masked]>, "Tom-PT Taylor"
      <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
cc:    (bcc: Vikas Bajaj/HSS)

Subject:  RE: [Megaco] How MGC to Put a Trunk Group out of Service Graceful  ly?

I do disagree with the draft -- not just on this point.  In my opinion, the
draft is a bit excessive, and is incomplete.  Don't get me wrong -- it was a
noble effort to try and bring some clarity to a very gray area, but I do not
think it adequately covers ServiceChange, as it leaves several key points
undefined, and what it does cover is very heavy.

<HSS> The draft has been an effort at attempting to reduce the confusion
      centered around a very important aspect of the protocol. Inspite of
      several queries there has not been an effort in the direction of
      clarifying this subject (other than responses to queries in the list).
      It was for this reason that we intiated this effort so that
      it could provide a good starting point for discussion and finally
      result in a document that consolidates the consensus of the list.
      Unfortunately, there have been few comments on the draft although
      it seems that some list members have read the draft and even find it
      useful. It would therefore be nice that instead of a broad comment
      that the draft is incomplete, specific comments giving what
      sounds inconsistent with the protocol and what is missing with
      reference to the protocol document are provided so that the end objective
      of a robust reference document on this subject is met. We are O.K. with
      the current initiative also as long as it makes progress since it
      will help in achieving the end objective.
<HSS>

I am working currently on getting something put together that will focus the
effort, so that we aren't just scatter-shooting at the current holes in the
document.  Because I'm traveling, I haven't had as much time as I would have
liked recently to get this organized and get an initial draft put together
to help lead the group.  I hope to get this done in the next couple of
weeks.

There is supposed to be a kickoff of this work at the IETF meeting in
Minneapolis.  I still don't know if I will be able to attend at this time.
If I am, I will use the meeting as an opportunity to introduce this effort,
with a follow-up to the list to put the group together.  If I cannot attend,
I will see if I can get something to Tom for the meeting, and then recruit
from the list.

Since you seem to pop up a lot on ServiceChange, am I to assume that you are
interested in participating in this group? :)

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Raphael Tryster [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 12:44 AM
To: Boyle, Kevin [NCRTP:3Z30:EXCH]; Usha Iyer; Zhang Yuyong; Taylor, Tom-PT
[CAR:B800:EXCH]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Megaco] How MGC to Put a Trunk Group out of Service Graceful
ly?

Kevin,
I take it that, regarding this point, you disagree with
draft-hss-megaco-control-association-state-machine-00.txt, which allows
Graceful to be sent only by the MG.  You wrote a couple of weeks ago that a
study group would be put together for these issues.  What is the status?
Raphael Tryster

-----Original Message-----
From:   Kevin Boyle [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:   Wednesday, 27 February, 2002 6:48 AM
To:     Usha Iyer; Zhang Yuyong; Tom-PT Taylor; [email-masked]
Subject:        RE: [Megaco] How MGC to Put a Trunk Group out of Service
Graceful ly?
There is no restriction in the spec on the direction Graceful may be sent.
Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Usha Iyer [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 11:24 PM
To: Boyle, Kevin [NCRTP:3Z30:EXCH]; Zhang Yuyong; Taylor, Tom-PT
[CAR:B800:EXCH]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Megaco] How MGC to Put a Trunk Group out of Service
Gracefully?

Hi ,
   Pls correct me if i'm wrong , but i was under the impression that
ServiceMethod = Graceful was only used in the MG->MGC direction as an
indication to the MGC to clear up the contexts within the time specifed.
     To put  a termination/set of terminations OOS, MGC clears up the
contexts first and then sends SC with ServiceMethod Forced  ( so it would be

addressing the terminations in null context )
Reg,
usha

----- Original Message -----
From: Kevin Boyle
To: Zhang, Yuyong ; Tom-PT Taylor ; [email-masked]'
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 9:31 AM
Subject: RE: [Megaco] How MGC to Put a Trunk Group out of Service
Gracefully?

Why wouldn't you send both in the same transaction?  Then you would have
covered both cases.
Kevin
-----Original Message-----
From: Zhang, Yuyong [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 9:27 PM
To: Taylor, Tom-PT [CAR:B800:EXCH]; [email-masked]'
Subject: [Megaco] How MGC to Put a Trunk Group out of Service
Gracefully?

Hi Folks,
I have a question about how a MGC to put a Trunk Group out Service
Gracefully.
There are two options I see as the following:
Context = - {
                  ServiceChange = TG1/* {
                        ServiceMethod = Gracefully}
               }
Context = * {
                  ServiceChange = TG1/* {
                        ServiceMethod = Gracefully}
               }
Since it is the graceful, that means MGC want to put the trunk out of
service as soon as all the contexts are cleared on this Trunk Group.
My question is that some of the CICs in the Trunk gourp has an active
context, some of them doesn't. Therefore the first option above doesn't take

care of those who have active contexts, the second option doesn't take care
of those who doesn't have active context.
What is the solution here? Oh this kind of graceful blocking a trunk group
is not supported in MEGACO.
Please give your comments.
Regards,
Yuyong
_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco
_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Hughes Software Systems Limited
(HSS) and is intended solely for the use of the individual  to whom it is
addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential information  and should
not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended. If
you have received this message in error, please notify the originator
immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you
are strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the
contents of this message. HSS accepts no responsibility for loss or damage
arising from the use of the information transmitted by this email including
damage from virus."

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 11:57:32 +0530

Hello Kevin/List,

Thanks and Regards,
MEGACO Team.
www.hssworld.com

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Raphael Tryster [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 12:44 AM
To: Boyle, Kevin [NCRTP:3Z30:EXCH]; Usha Iyer; Zhang Yuyong; Taylor, Tom-PT

Kevin,

-----Original Message-----
From:   Kevin Boyle [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:   Wednesday, 27 February, 2002 6:48 AM
To:     Usha Iyer; Zhang Yuyong; Tom-PT Taylor; [email-masked]
Subject:        RE: [Megaco] How MGC to Put a Trunk Group out of Service
Graceful ly?

-----Original Message-----
From: Usha Iyer [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 11:24 PM
To: Boyle, Kevin [NCRTP:3Z30:EXCH]; Zhang Yuyong; Taylor, Tom-PT

Hi ,

----- Original Message -----
From: Kevin Boyle
To: Zhang, Yuyong ; Tom-PT Taylor ; [email-masked]'
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 9:31 AM
Subject: RE: [Megaco] How MGC to Put a Trunk Group out of Service
Gracefully?

-----Original Message-----
From: Zhang, Yuyong [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 9:27 PM
To: Taylor, Tom-PT [CAR:B800:EXCH]; [email-masked]'
Subject: [Megaco] How MGC to Put a Trunk Group out of Service
Gracefully?

Hi Folks,

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor"<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 10:46:43 -0500

Progress in the IETF is achieved on the basis of draft inputs and list
discussion.  What I would hope to see on the list is a set of detailed
criticisms and a bit of discussion.  Then what I would hope to see in
Minneapolis is a presentation of open issues and a working discussion to
resolve them.

I've been guilty of failing to contribute my share to this.  I see it now as
a priority looking forward to embedding the results in approved text at the
October SG 16 meeting.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 1:28 AM
To: [email-masked]; Boyle, Kevin [NCRTP:3Z30:EXCH]
Subject: RE: [Megaco] How MGC to Put a Trunk Group out of Service
Graceful ly?

Hello Kevin/List,

Thanks and Regards,
MEGACO Team.
www.hssworld.com

      reference to the protocol document are provided so that the end
objective
      of a robust reference document on this subject is met. We are O.K.
with

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Raphael Tryster [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 12:44 AM
To: Boyle, Kevin [NCRTP:3Z30:EXCH]; Usha Iyer; Zhang Yuyong; Taylor, Tom-PT

Kevin,

-----Original Message-----
From:   Kevin Boyle [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:   Wednesday, 27 February, 2002 6:48 AM
To:     Usha Iyer; Zhang Yuyong; Tom-PT Taylor; [email-masked]
Subject:        RE: [Megaco] How MGC to Put a Trunk Group out of Service
Graceful ly?

-----Original Message-----
From: Usha Iyer [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 11:24 PM
To: Boyle, Kevin [NCRTP:3Z30:EXCH]; Zhang Yuyong; Taylor, Tom-PT

Hi ,

----- Original Message -----
From: Kevin Boyle
To: Zhang, Yuyong ; Tom-PT Taylor ; [email-masked]'
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 9:31 AM
Subject: RE: [Megaco] How MGC to Put a Trunk Group out of Service
Gracefully?

-----Original Message-----
From: Zhang, Yuyong [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 9:27 PM
To: Taylor, Tom-PT [CAR:B800:EXCH]; [email-masked]'
Subject: [Megaco] How MGC to Put a Trunk Group out of Service
Gracefully?

Hi Folks,

"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Hughes Software Systems Limited
(HSS) and is intended solely for the use of the individual  to whom it is
addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential information  and
should
not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is
intended. If
you have received this message in error, please notify the originator
immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that
you
are strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the
contents of this message. HSS accepts no responsibility for loss or damage
arising from the use of the information transmitted by this email including
damage from virus."

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor"<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 10:46:43 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 1:28 AM
To: [email-masked]; Boyle, Kevin [NCRTP:3Z30:EXCH]
Subject: RE: [Megaco] How MGC to Put a Trunk Group out of Service
Graceful ly?

Hello Kevin/List,

Thanks and Regards,
MEGACO Team.
www.hssworld.com

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Raphael Tryster [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 12:44 AM
To: Boyle, Kevin [NCRTP:3Z30:EXCH]; Usha Iyer; Zhang Yuyong; Taylor, Tom-PT

Kevin,

-----Original Message-----
From:   Kevin Boyle [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:   Wednesday, 27 February, 2002 6:48 AM
To:     Usha Iyer; Zhang Yuyong; Tom-PT Taylor; [email-masked]
Subject:        RE: [Megaco] How MGC to Put a Trunk Group out of Service
Graceful ly?

-----Original Message-----
From: Usha Iyer [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 11:24 PM
To: Boyle, Kevin [NCRTP:3Z30:EXCH]; Zhang Yuyong; Taylor, Tom-PT

Hi ,

----- Original Message -----
From: Kevin Boyle
To: Zhang, Yuyong ; Tom-PT Taylor ; [email-masked]'
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 9:31 AM
Subject: RE: [Megaco] How MGC to Put a Trunk Group out of Service
Gracefully?

-----Original Message-----
From: Zhang, Yuyong [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 9:27 PM
To: Taylor, Tom-PT [CAR:B800:EXCH]; [email-masked]'
Subject: [Megaco] How MGC to Put a Trunk Group out of Service
Gracefully?

Hi Folks,