Subject: [Megaco] Pulse dialing vs. DTMF - for lines that don't have "Tone" option

From: John Stock <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 14:14:29 -0700

Hi all,

I was wondering about this - is there a mechanism in H.248 for an MG to
handle rejection of DTMF dialing for lines that are dial-pulse only, without
having to provision the line as Tone or Pulse in the MG?

It seems like one of two things would be possible - 

1.  A package (e.g. DTMF detection) could include a "dial type" in the
Signals descriptor(?) to be either DTMF or dial-pulse or both, so if a line
were dial-pulse then DTMF tones would be ignored.  Thus determination of
DP/DTMF support would be via Modify command.
2.  The "dial type" could be a property of the Events descriptor, such that
whether DTMF or DP was used would be passed to the MGC in the ObservedEvents
descriptor of the Notify command after digits are collected.  Then the MGC
can decide to accept or reject the call.

The problem with 2 I think is that maybe it forgoes proper functionality
which is to ignore DTMF tones for a dial-pulse line (not sure about this
though).

Does anyone know if such a method exists?  Otherwise it seems like DP vs.
DTMF would need to be provisioned in the MG, which isn't desirable since
Access or Residential gateways may be remotely located.

Thanks.

John Stock
Systems Engineer
Advanced Fibre Communications
1465 N. McDowell Blvd.
Petaluma, CA 94954
Tel. 707-792-6249

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco