Subject: [Megaco] Representation of Termination ID in Binary/Text encoding?

From: "jeewoong_rhee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 12:34:57 +0900

Hi,

Question about the binary/text encoding of TerminationIDs.

According to the BNF notation of the TerminationID it is possible to present it
as "trunk1/line1" or "trunk1/*". But in ASN.1 notation it seems that it only
support integer id.

How can I translate "trunk1/line1" to ASN.1 encoding?

TIA.

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 09:36:45 -0400

This question comes up a lot on the list.  Binary and text notations use different
TerminationID representations from totally different namespaces.  It is not
intended that the same ID be represented in both.  A single MG would use either
binary or text and choose its IDs from the respective representation.  Since IDs
are provisioned on the MG and only have meaning between the MG and its MGC there is
no reason to translate between representations.  An MGC must be prepared to manage
the Terminations for any MG for which it accepts registration but need not
translate the form of the IDs.

To use the wildcard feature in either representation, an MG may choose to encode
certain physical data (such as trunk and line IDs, slot card positions or anything
else it chooses.  Some profiles specify for text encoding that these be used with
'/' as a separator, but such a rule is part of the profile not part of the H.248
spec.  Similar ideas of encoding data may be used with binary IDs by designating
specific bit positions and ranges to hold specific data.  I have seen fewer
profiles specifying terminationIDs for binary so there are not as many examples.

--
-------------------------------------------------------
Terry L Anderson, DMTS                   [email-masked]
Lucent Technologies /INS/ Voice over IP Access Networks
Rm 2B-121,   600 Mountain Ave, Murray Hill, NJ 07974
Voice:908 582-7013  FAX:908 582-6226   Org:18E75000000
http://its.lucent.com/~tla  (Lucent internal)
http://www.gti.net/tla
-------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 09:36:45 -0400

---

From: Troy Cauble <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 10:36:03 -0400

> translate the form of the IDs.

While not required, an MG can support both Text and Binary interfaces,
in which case a translation would be known to the MG at least.

But such translations, like the Text and Binary namespaces themselves,
are defined by the application, not the protocol.

Make up any namespace and translation you want.
Make it known to the MGC's you want to work with.
Or for more practical interoperability, write a profile.

-troy

---

From: Troy Cauble <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 10:36:03 -0400

-troy