Subject: RE: [Megaco] Mixing fully-specified and under-specified parameter s in commands

From: "Tom-PT Taylor"<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 11:00:23 -0400

Your examples are not problems from the point of view of the protocol: you
return the appropriate error when an error condition is encountered.  If you
want to write a set of guidelines for MGC designers pointing out the silly
situations they could get themselves into, that could be a separate
document.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2002 10:25 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Mixing fully-specified and under-specified parameters
in commands

Hi Tom

MEGACO allows MGC to either fully-specify or under-specify parameters like
termination ID, IP Address and UDP port.

Normally the commands can be divided into two categories -
a). Using all fully-specified parameters.
b). Using under-specified parameters.

In case the MGC is using a). and b). both types of commands interleaved,
there
are possibilities of race conditions resulting in failures.
eg: MGC sends an ADD ($). MG chooses a terminationID(term1) and is
processing
the ADD command when MGC sends another ADD (term1) fully-specified. The
second
ADD is bound to fail in this case.
Another analogy is with IPAddress($) and port($). MG chooses IPAddr
(a.b.c.d)
and port(e) and is processing the command when MGC sends a command on
another
termination with IPAddress(a.b.c.d) and port(e). This command is bound to
fail.

Is it safe to assume that an MGC would typically either always fully-specify
the
values or always under-specify the values. Basically it seems to be more
appropriate to either "allocate" or "let allocate" but consistently.

Thanks,
Kapil Nayar
Hughes Software Systems Ltd.
www.hssworld.com

DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Hughes Software Systems
Limited (HSS) and is intended solely for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential
information  and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other
than for what it is intended. If you have received this message in error,
please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using,
copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. HSS accepts
no responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the information
transmitted by this email including damage from virus.

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor"<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 11:00:23 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2002 10:25 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Mixing fully-specified and under-specified parameters
in commands

Hi Tom

Thanks,
Kapil Nayar