Subject: [Megaco] State of endpoint after continuity failure.

From: Anil Jangam <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 21:12:11 +0530

Hi all,

I have the following mail, but still have some doubt unclear as follows.

1. During the continuity test is being executed, the state of the endpoint
is 'test'. When the continuity test response is 'failure' the state of the
endpoint becomes 'out-of-service'. My question -- When the Notify
(continuity test response) is failure, does MG changes the state of the
endpoint by itself to 'out-of-service' OR does MGC has to explicitly
instruct the MG to do so by sending the ServiceChange (with
'out-of-service') command?

2. When the state of the endpoint is 'out-of-service' after the continuity
test response is 'failure', what is the criteria to bring the corresponding
endpoint back into the service. It was stated (see below reply) that "After
what time MGC can reinitiate continuity test on the same endpoint is outside
the scope of protocol". My question is -- Who is responsible to bring the
endpoint back into the service? I want to know if it is the MGC, which sends
the Continuity command (to test the endpoint again) to the MG OR does MG
itself informs the MGC by sending the ServiceChange command? If MG informs
the MGC, MGC should not even bother to test the corresponding endpoint by
reinitiating the continuity.

3. Is it possible to check the state of the endpoint by sending the Audit
command and then carry out the Continuity test?

4. Is it possible to carry out the continuity test when the call is being
established or it is already established? In this case (if at all it is
valid!!) then MGC will have to remove the termination (in case of test
failure) from the context, and bring down the call. Please elaborate more on
this point.
     [I am in perticular do not agree to this scenario as in ITU-T (Q.764)
it is stated that "If a continuity check has to be performed on one or more
of the circuits involved in a connection, setting up of the connection to
the called party must be prevented until the continuity of  such circuit has
been varified".]

5. IMPORTANT:  MEGACO rfc states that "Properties not mentioned in the
command retain their prior values". Does this mean that when the continuity
test is a sucess, I will have to send a Modify command to clear all the
events/signals, which I have set for the continuity test (addition to the
events to look for the Off-Hook)??

Thanks in advance,
With Regards,
/aNil.

-----Original Message-----
From: Madhu Babu Brahmanapally [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 10:43 PM
To: 'Anil Jangam'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Megaco] Continuity test on endpoint.

Hi Anil,
During continuity tests, the state of the Termination is "test". The MGC
may generate a Service Change message after continuity test failure. After
what time MGC can reinitiate continuity test on the same endpoint is outside
the scope of protocol. So do the change of termination state after
continuity test failure.
Regards
Madhubabu Brahmanapally.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Anil Jangam
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 11:59 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Megaco] Continuity test on endpoint.
Importance: High

Hi all,

When the continuity test is executed and the result received as FAILURE,
is there any state defined for the endpoint? What should be the state of
the endpoint in this case? Also when the endpoint state is changed to the
Continuity-Failed, after what time, the MGC can initiate the continuity
check on the same endpoint?

/anil.

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco
---
[This E-mail was scanned for viruses and is clean.]

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor"<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 11:48:46 -0400

Forwarded as requested.

-----Original Message-----
From: Anil Jangam [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 11:45 AM
To: Taylor, Tom-PT [CAR:B800:EXCH]
Subject: FW: State of endpoint after continuity failure.
Importance: High

I got some error from the mail serve so sending it to you.

regards,
/anil. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Anil Jangam
To: [email-masked]'
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]'
Sent: 5/21/02 9:12 PM
Subject: State of endpoint after continuity failure.
Importance: High

Hi all,

1. During the continuity test is being executed, the state of the
endpoint is 'test'. When the continuity test response is 'failure' the
state of the endpoint becomes 'out-of-service'. My question -- When the
Notify (continuity test response) is failure, does MG changes the state
of the endpoint by itself to 'out-of-service' OR does MGC has to
explicitly instruct the MG to do so by sending the ServiceChange (with
'out-of-service') command?

2. When the state of the endpoint is 'out-of-service' after the
continuity test response is 'failure', what is the criteria to bring the
corresponding endpoint back into the service. It was stated (see below
reply) that "After what time MGC can reinitiate continuity test on the
same endpoint is outside the scope of protocol". My question is -- Who
is responsible to bring the endpoint back into the service? I want to
know if it is the MGC, which sends the Continuity command (to test the
endpoint again) to the MG OR does MG itself informs the MGC by sending
the ServiceChange command? If MG informs the MGC, MGC should not even
bother to test the corresponding endpoint by reinitiating the
continuity.

3. Is it possible to check the state of the endpoint by sending the
Audit command and then carry out the Continuity test?

4. Is it possible to carry out the continuity test when the call is
being established or it is already established? In this case (if at all
it is valid!!) then MGC will have to remove the termination (in case of
test failure) from the context, and bring down the call. Please
elaborate more on this point.
     [I am in perticular do not agree to this scenario as in ITU-T
(Q.764) it is stated that "If a continuity check has to be performed on
one or more of the circuits involved in a connection, setting up of the
connection to the called party must be prevented until the continuity of
such circuit has been varified".]

5. IMPORTANT:  MEGACO rfc states that "Properties not mentioned in the
command retain their prior values". Does this mean that when the
continuity test is a sucess, I will have to send a Modify command to
clear all the events/signals, which I have set for the continuity test
(addition to the events to look for the Off-Hook)??

Thanks in advance,
With Regards,
/aNil.

-----Original Message-----
From: Madhu Babu Brahmanapally [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 10:43 PM
To: 'Anil Jangam'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Megaco] Continuity test on endpoint.

Hi Anil,
During continuity tests, the state of the Termination is "test". The MGC
may generate a Service Change message after continuity test failure.
After
what time MGC can reinitiate continuity test on the same endpoint is
outside the scope of protocol. So do the change of termination state
after
continuity test failure.
Regards
Madhubabu Brahmanapally.

-----Original Message-----

Hi all,

When the continuity test is executed and the result received as FAILURE,
is there any state defined for the endpoint? What should be the state of
the endpoint in this case? Also when the endpoint state is changed to
the Continuity-Failed, after what time, the MGC can initiate the
continuity check on the same endpoint?

/anil.

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor"<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 11:48:46 -0400

Forwarded as requested.

-----Original Message-----
From: Anil Jangam [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 11:45 AM
To: Taylor, Tom-PT [CAR:B800:EXCH]
Subject: FW: State of endpoint after continuity failure.
Importance: High

regards,
/anil. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Anil Jangam
To: [email-masked]'
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]'
Sent: 5/21/02 9:12 PM
Subject: State of endpoint after continuity failure.
Importance: High

Hi all,

Thanks in advance,
With Regards,
/aNil.

-----Original Message-----
From: Madhu Babu Brahmanapally [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 10:43 PM
To: 'Anil Jangam'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Megaco] Continuity test on endpoint.

Hi Anil,

-----Original Message-----

Hi all,

/anil.