Subject: [Megaco] Query regarding Enhanced Alerting Package in MEGACO

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 14:06:37 +0530

Hi Kevin/Brown/List,

There is one signal in the package "Analog Display Signalling Packages" in the
document "draft-boyle-megaco-alerting-03.txt" called as "Generic Data Signalling
(data)". The queries for this signal item are as follows.

Q1. It is mentioned for the signal that it could be used for the data messages
(except Alerting) related to ADSI, MWI, "Advice of Charge", and SMS etc. However
there is no signal parameter to identify that whether data is meant for ADSI,
MWI, AOC or SMS (for that matter any other kind of data).

-  Now the concern is that is MG not required to know that what kind of generic
data is being sent across in the protocol message??

-  In other words, if MG is transparent to the type of data, does it mean that
the mechanism by which MG application would transmit this data to the CPE would
be the same for any kind of generic data signalling?? In case of Caller ID, the
example given in the package states about two type of message constructs (SDMF
and MDMF). Would the type of message parameter embedded in the message in either
of the constructs help the MG to identify the type of data, in the case of
Generic Data Signalling??

Q2. There is one more parameter in the above specified signal ID, which is
"Terminal Alerting Signal" (TAS). As I am not clear about the various mechansims
of terminal alerting specified thererof, would these TAS method somehow convey
the type of data which is forthcoming or is it completely independent of that ??

Q3. In case, "Generic Data Signalling (data)" is being used for MWI, then the
query is whether the MWI feature mentioned in the document applies to both Audio
MWI and Visual MWI or either of them?? In either of these MWI methods, I think
"data" parameter should be passed as NULL. But in this scenario, would the TAS
method be specific for the respective AMWI and that the VMWI features
implementation since one is the offhook signalling case and the second one is
the onhook signalling case?? Or is it dependent on the case to case basis??

Please do clarify.

Thanks and Regards,
MEGACO Team
www. hssworld.com

DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Hughes Software Systems
Limited (HSS) and is intended solely for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential
information  and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other
than for what it is intended. If you have received this message in error,
please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using,
copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. HSS accepts
no responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the information
transmitted by this email including damage from virus.

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Kevin Boyle"<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 12:12:23 -0400

Comments inline. [KJBII]

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 4:37 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Query regarding Enhanced Alerting Package in MEGACO

Hi Kevin/Brown/List,

There is one signal in the package "Analog Display Signalling Packages" in
the
document "draft-boyle-megaco-alerting-03.txt" called as "Generic Data
Signalling
(data)". The queries for this signal item are as follows.

Q1. It is mentioned for the signal that it could be used for the data
messages
(except Alerting) related to ADSI, MWI, "Advice of Charge", and SMS etc.
However
there is no signal parameter to identify that whether data is meant for
ADSI,
MWI, AOC or SMS (for that matter any other kind of data).

-  Now the concern is that is MG not required to know that what kind of
generic
data is being sent across in the protocol message??

[KJBII] The MG does not have any need to know what feature is being invoked.

-  In other words, if MG is transparent to the type of data, does it mean
that
the mechanism by which MG application would transmit this data to the CPE
would
be the same for any kind of generic data signalling?? In case of Caller ID,
the
example given in the package states about two type of message constructs
(SDMF
and MDMF). Would the type of message parameter embedded in the message in
either
of the constructs help the MG to identify the type of data, in the case of
Generic Data Signalling??

[KJBII] Again, the MG has no need to know what is being sent.  The MGC knows
how
to format the data, and the CPE knows how to interpret the data.  All the MG
needs
to know is how to send the data, which is consistent for all data
transmission that
I have seen defined.

Q2. There is one more parameter in the above specified signal ID, which is
"Terminal Alerting Signal" (TAS). As I am not clear about the various
mechansims
of terminal alerting specified thererof, would these TAS method somehow
convey
the type of data which is forthcoming or is it completely independent of
that ??

[KJBII] For use of the TAS parameter, please see the appropriate specs on
data
transfer to analog sets.  In NA, this would be GR-30-CORE.  For ETSI, see
the
EN 300 659 series.  Other localities may have other requirements.  Note that
some
data transfer features alter how the TAS is used.  You should reference
those specs
as well.

Q3. In case, "Generic Data Signalling (data)" is being used for MWI, then
the
query is whether the MWI feature mentioned in the document applies to both
Audio
MWI and Visual MWI or either of them?? In either of these MWI methods, I
think
"data" parameter should be passed as NULL. But in this scenario, would the
TAS
method be specific for the respective AMWI and that the VMWI features
implementation since one is the offhook signalling case and the second one
is
the onhook signalling case?? Or is it dependent on the case to case basis??

[KJBII] Audio and Visual Message Waiting Indicator are two separate things.
VMWI
is signalled to an onhook, idle set.  Message Waiting Tone is provided in
lieu of
dialtone to a set that has just gone off-hook.  Message Waiting Tone is
defined in
the Basic Services Tone Generation Package which is defined in Q.1950.  Its
text
representation is srvtn/mwt.  For how to accomplish VMWI, please see
GR-1401-CORE
for NA, or EN 300 659-3 for ETSI.  Again, other localities may have other
requirements.

Please do clarify.

Thanks and Regards,
MEGACO Team
www. hssworld.com

---

From: "Kevin Boyle"<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 12:12:23 -0400

Comments inline. [KJBII]

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 4:37 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Query regarding Enhanced Alerting Package in MEGACO

Hi Kevin/Brown/List,

Please do clarify.

Thanks and Regards,
MEGACO Team
www. hssworld.com

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 22:07:19 +0530

Hi Kevin,
     Thanks a lot for the quick reply.  One or two more queries, embedded below
with <<HSS>>.

Thanks and Regards,
Prashant Jain

"Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]> on 05/24/2002 10:12:23 PM

To:   Prashant Jain/HSS@HSS, [email-masked]
cc:

Subject:  RE: [Megaco] Query regarding Enhanced Alerting Package in MEGACO

Comments inline. [KJBII]

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 4:37 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Query regarding Enhanced Alerting Package in MEGACO

Hi Kevin/Brown/List,

<<HSS>> Just re-iterating this means MG is transparent to the type of data as
well as its format. Further the format with which data is to be applied by MGC
as well as how MG application sends the data over the hardware (to CPE), would
be known to MGC/MG through provisioning assuming it to be the outside the scope
of the protocol. Is it correct??

<<HSS>> Just confirming again, this means AMWI as signal is conveyed through
Basic Services Tone Generation Package which is defined in Q.1950. For VMWI,
"Generic Data Signalling (data)" item as signal would be used by MGC when Visual
Message is to be sent. And MGC while applying VMWI, would convey the TAS method
along with and "data" parameter as NULL, in the protocol message. Is my
conclusion correct??

Please do clarify.

Thanks and Regards,
MEGACO Team
www. hssworld.com

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 22:07:19 +0530

Hi Kevin,

Thanks and Regards,
Prashant Jain

Comments inline. [KJBII]

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 4:37 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Query regarding Enhanced Alerting Package in MEGACO

Hi Kevin/Brown/List,

Please do clarify.

Thanks and Regards,
MEGACO Team
www. hssworld.com

---

From: "Kevin Boyle"<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 14:47:52 -0400

More replies below. [KJBII]

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 12:37 PM
To: Boyle, Kevin [NCRTP:3R90:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Megaco] Query regarding Enhanced Alerting Package in
MEGACO

Hi Kevin,
     Thanks a lot for the quick reply.  One or two more queries, embedded
below
with <<HSS>>.

Thanks and Regards,
Prashant Jain

Comments inline. [KJBII]

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 4:37 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Query regarding Enhanced Alerting Package in MEGACO

Hi Kevin/Brown/List,

<<HSS>> Just re-iterating this means MG is transparent to the type of data
as
well as its format. Further the format with which data is to be applied by
MGC
as well as how MG application sends the data over the hardware (to CPE),
would
be known to MGC/MG through provisioning assuming it to be the outside the
scope
of the protocol. Is it correct??

[KJBII]  Yes.  MGs should know how a signal is applied.  It is the MGC's job
to
tell the MG which signal to apply at the appropriate moment, it is the MG's
job
to apply it in the proper manner.

<<HSS>> Just confirming again, this means AMWI as signal is conveyed through
Basic Services Tone Generation Package which is defined in Q.1950. For VMWI,
"Generic Data Signalling (data)" item as signal would be used by MGC when
Visual
Message is to be sent. And MGC while applying VMWI, would convey the TAS
method
along with and "data" parameter as NULL, in the protocol message. Is my
conclusion correct??

[KJBII] TAS is not necessarily required, as it defaults to whatever is
provisioned
in the MG (as is stated in the package).  And the data parameter will
certainly not
be NULL, as GR-1401-CORE indicates the data that should be sent to the CPE
in NA.
Likewise, ETSI's EN 300 659-3 indicates the data to be sent for VMWI for
localities
that adhere to those specs.  You need to consult the specs for the
localities for
which you plan to provide support.

[KJBII] Before I get a million questions about various features, let me say
that I
cannot tell anyone exactly how features work, because, invariably, there is
some locality
that does that particular feature differently.  Feature specs are outside
the scope of
the protocol.  It is up to you, as the implementor, to do the research and
design your
application accordingly.

Please do clarify.

Thanks and Regards,
MEGACO Team
www. hssworld.com

---

From: "Kevin Boyle"<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 14:47:52 -0400

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 12:37 PM
To: Boyle, Kevin [NCRTP:3R90:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Megaco] Query regarding Enhanced Alerting Package in
MEGACO

Hi Kevin,

Thanks and Regards,
Prashant Jain

Comments inline. [KJBII]

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 4:37 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Query regarding Enhanced Alerting Package in MEGACO

Hi Kevin/Brown/List,

Please do clarify.

Thanks and Regards,
MEGACO Team
www. hssworld.com