Subject: [Megaco] MEGACO mib - doubts

From: Nuno Silva <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 12:34:31 +0100

Hi, 

 I found the mib-03 draft hard to read. I have a few questions:

1 - As far as I have understood this mib is referring only to the MG. What
about MGC mib?

2 - medGwyGatewayConfigTable:
 - the description of the medGwayGatewayConfigEntry object says "Entry
holding info about a group of MGCs sharing the same signalling link". Is
this signalling link the SIGTRAN link? Is it possible to have several MGCs
sharing the same signalling link? What for?

3 - medGwyGatewayStatsTable:
- the medGwyGatewayTransportNumLosses refers a transport link. Is this the
SIGTRAN link?

4- There's a reference in the medGwyPropertyProfileTable to package mibs. Is
there any info about this?

5 - The distribution of functionality between MEGACO and SNMP is also not
very clear to me. It seems there is some overlapping. What do you think?

 Thanks ahead. Nuno.

PS: is there any other good source of information for understanding the
megaco mib? management requirements, other mails, ...

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Nuno Silva <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 00:13:39 +0100

Hi Bala,

 Many thanks for your answers.

You say the signaling/transport link is the link between MGCs. My first
(wrong!) interpretation was that this was the link between a MG and a MGC,
for example, for Q.931 signaling backhaul. 

 So, if I take your signaling link interpretation, I have several doubts:

A)is it possible to have more than 2 MGCs sharing the same link? What for?
How is exactly this signaling link defined?

B) Are these (2 or more?)MGCs the ones that are SET by the NMS in the
medGwyGatewayControllerTable, for a given MG, or could be any others?

C) If this is the MG mib, why are there tables containing info about the
link between (2 or more?)MGCs? Shouldn't this be part of the MGC mib?

D)Also, this link is created by the manager for each MG - see
medGwyLinkIdTable. Why is this done on the MG mib?

 I think I haven't understood this "link" stuff ...

 Thanks ahead. Nuno.

-----Original Message-----
From: Balasubramanian Pitchandi
To: 'Nuno Silva'; [email-masked]
Sent: 08-06-2002 01:37
Subject: RE: [Megaco] MEGACO mib - doubts

Hello,

Please see my responses below [BP].

Thanks,
Bala
 
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Nuno Silva
Sent: Friday, June 07, 2002 7:35 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Nuno Silva
Subject: [Megaco] MEGACO mib - doubts

Hi, 

1 - As far as I have understood this mib is referring only to the MG.
What
about MGC mib?
[BP] Yes, that's correct. I am working on putting a new MIB which would
have two different MIBs - one for Media Gateway and the other for Media
Gateway Controller.

2 - medGwyGatewayConfigTable:
 - the description of the medGwayGatewayConfigEntry object says "Entry
holding info about a group of MGCs sharing the same signalling link". Is
this signalling link the SIGTRAN link? Is it possible to have several
MGCs
sharing the same signalling link? What for?
[BP] It refers to any type of signaling that could exist between the
MGCs. It could be SIGTRAN if that's the case in your implementation.

3 - medGwyGatewayStatsTable:
- the medGwyGatewayTransportNumLosses refers a transport link. Is this
the
SIGTRAN link?
[BP] Same as above.

4- There's a reference in the medGwyPropertyProfileTable to package
mibs. Is
there any info about this?
[BP] The package MIBs are still to be developed.

5 - The distribution of functionality between MEGACO and SNMP is also
not
very clear to me. It seems there is some overlapping. What do you think?
[BP] Yes, there is some overlapping. Its being worked on.

 Thanks ahead. Nuno.

[BP] Megaco MIB is a work in progress and I along with the help of the
Megaco community would come up with a new and improved version of the
MIB soon.