Subject: [Megaco] ROOT termination

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 12:12:33 +0300

Hello,
According to RFC 3015 :
Occasionally, a command must refer to the entire gateway,
rather than a termination within it

From the iwtf call flow examples, NULL context appears along with ROOT
termination. If the MG receives any a specific context Id and ROOT
termination in a certain command, should it ignore the context and perform
the operation for the whole root anyway or reply with NACK?

Dana H.
SW Engineer
NGTS ECI Telecom

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 10:30:19 -0400

I am not sure what you mean by the "whole root".  Root is used to refer 
to global properties ("entire gateway, rather than a termination..."). 
 It does NOT represent the list of all terminations, as it appears you 
are assuming.  Wildcards are used to refer to sets of terminations.  To 
refer to all terminations in a MG one would use something like:
Context = - { Modify = * {...}},
Context = * { Modify = * {...}}

That is refer to all terminations in  NULL context and all terminations 
in all other contexts.  Using ROOT does not accomplish the same thing.

It is rare that ROOT would have the same properties as a real termination.

But if you are only asking what context to use when referring to ROOT, I 
believe that it should always use NULL, since ROOT is not associated 
with any specific context, although I do not believe that this is 
specified in MEGACO.

[list - should we specify the use of NULL with ROOT in section  6.2.5?]

There is one exception 7.1.5 specifies the use of Context ALL and 
Termination ROOT in an Audit request for the list of terminations.

-- 

------------------------------------------------------------
Terry L Anderson              mailto:[email-masked] 
Tel:732.949.5628   Fax:732.949.7016 
Lucent Technologies/INS/Voice Over IP Access Networks
Rm 2G-219A, 101 Crawfords Corner Rd, Holmdel, NJ 07733-3030
http://its.lucent.com/~tla (Lucent internal) http://www.gti.net/tla

---

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 10:30:19 -0400

--

---

From: "Madhu Babu Brahmanapally" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 11:07:51 -0400

HI Dana,
The examples used Null context with ROOT TerminationId. The contextID
doesn't carry any meaning when ROOT termination Id is used. (I think there
is an exception for Audit command, please refer to the Audit command
interpretation for different Context and TerminationIDs). ContextId is
mandatory field in any transaction.

Regards
Madhubabu Brahmanapally.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2002 5:13 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] ROOT termination

Hello,
According to RFC 3015 :

Dana H.
SW Engineer
NGTS ECI Telecom

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco
---
[This E-mail was scanned for viruses and is clean.]

---

From: "Madhu Babu Brahmanapally" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 11:07:51 -0400

HI Dana,

Regards
Madhubabu Brahmanapally.

-----Original Message-----

Hello,
According to RFC 3015 :

Dana H.
SW Engineer
NGTS ECI Telecom

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 13:48:11 +1000

G'Day Terry,

The current specification allows both ALL and NULL as ContextID with Root. I
would suggest that we leave it at that as really the value is not significant
but we don't want to make any non backwards compatible changes in case people
also use ALL which is allowed by the recommendation.

Regards, Christian

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 13:48:11 +1000

G'Day Terry,

Regards, Christian

---

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 11:45:02 -0400

ALL with ROOT is mandated and has a specified meaning for Audit, but 
when used with Modify, etc.  we can simply consider it equivalent to 
NULL, that is, when ROOT in used a Modify, one simply ignores Context. 
My only concern is that in processing an Action one can normally assume 
that all commands affect the specified context.  Including a ROOT 
command, which is unrelated to the context, in the action makes it 
harder to process as one's code structure may assume the "context" of 
the context.
But since we haven't restricted this before I suppose we should leave it 
as allowed or at most add a statement discouraging use of ALL/ROOT for 
Modify.

--

---

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 11:45:02 -0400

--

---

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 11:47:41 -0400

BTW is not use ALL and NULL.  Nothing forbids a specific ContextID with 
ROOT for Modify.  I assume that this still means the same as ALL or NULL.

--

---

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 11:47:41 -0400

--