Subject: RE: [Megaco] New parameter for digit completion event

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 15:28:46 -0400

Dial pulse does not have the #, *, or A-D digits.  Some later pulse phones
actually attempt to provide # and * by pulsing 11 or 12 times, but those are
not standard pulse implementations.  (I'm not even sure that they work...)

Uusally, for detection, once the tone digit receiver is on the line, pulses
are ignored.  I suppose it is possible to detect pulses interspersed with
DTMF digits, but why would anyone want to?  That seems to be a fool's errand
to me, since the set has announced DTMF capability to the switch by
producing DTMF.  Some features don't work right if they are doing pulse
dialing, because they cannot produce # and *, so why would one change to
pulse?

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Terry L Anderson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 3:16 PM
To: John Stock
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: [Megaco] New parameter for digit completion event

It is certainly possible.  It would be a new version of the package 
(version 2), but I guess the issue is whether this is preferable or 
whether there should instead be a Dial Pulse Detection package with a ce 
even, say dpd/ce.  I assume that one would not expect a mix of digits: 
'1', '3', '2' by DTMF and then '5' by DP all contributing to one digit 
map match.  

Having separate packages allows MGC to determine which or whether both 
are supported (some MGs may not be able to detect both).  The dd package 
extends tonedet and the d0, etc events are assumed to be tones.  A DP 
package might have digit events but they would not really be tones (do 
A-F exist?).  

I think I would be more comfortable with a new package rather than a new 
version of dd for this.  Of course if an MGC wanted to activate 
detection of both it would need to add both events dd/ce and dpd/ce to 
the event list, then the Notify would indicate which event occurred.

John Stock wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Would it be possible to add a new parameter to the digit completion event
in
>the DTMF Detection package?  I'd like to add a "Detection Method"
parameter,
>with possible values of "DTMF" or "DP" (Dial Pulse).  This is necessary for
>an Access or Residential Gateway to inform the MGC which method was used,
>for the purpose of passing this data along in the ISUP SS7 messages, in the
>Operator Services Info in the SETUP message.
>
>Is it feasible to get this added into this base package?  If so how can I
go
>about it?
>
>It may seem odd for this parameter to be in this package, since the name of
>the package is "DTMF detection", however the DigitMap Completion event is
by
>far the most appropriate place to put it.
>
>Thanks.
>
>John Stock
>Systems Engineering
>Advanced Fibre Communications
>[email-masked]
>707-792-6249
>
>And now for the standard disclaimer (don't lawyers just make life fun?):
>
>This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of
the
>named addressee(s), and may contain information that is legally privileged,
>confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not
>a named addressee, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination,
>distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have
>received this message in error, please notify the original sender
>immediately by telephone or by return E-mail and delete this message, along
>with any attachments, from your computer. Thank you.
>
>
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>Megaco mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco
>  
>

-- 

------------------------------------------------------------
Terry L Anderson              mailto:[email-masked]
Tel:732.949.5628   Fax:732.949.7016
Lucent Technologies/INS/Voice Over IP Access Networks
Rm 2G-219A, 101 Crawfords Corner Rd, Holmdel, NJ 07733-3030
http://its.lucent.com/~tla (Lucent internal) http://www.gti.net/tla

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 16:03:52 -0400

Sounds like John and any others interested in a DP package should write 
one.  If there is wide enough interest it can be submitted for 
standardization through either IETF or ITU.  If not, it can remain a 
proprietary package.

--

---

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 16:03:52 -0400

--