Subject: [Megaco] Megaco and Preferential Call Treatment

From: "King, Kimberly S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 18:15:14 -0400

Hello,

I am trying to understand how Megaco can be used to support preferential 
treatment for certain calls (e.g., emergency services not limited to 911).

Questions:  

1. Could a MG have certain assets (e.g., ports) reserved exclusively for 
emergency services where the indicator triggers the MG's use of this asset? 

2. Is the Boolean emergency indication reserved for 911? 

For example, in the U.S., there is an emergency telephone service called 
GETS that is used for communication by authorized users by dialing a certain
special area code, giving authentication information and a final destination
telephone number much like a calling card.  Could the "emergency indictor"
be used for this purpose or will it likely be used to support 911?  If the
911 is the intended use, would the priority field would be a better way to
convey preferential treatment (that would ultimately be carried out based
upon policy)?  

3. Could a MG be setup to place certain policy_data elements within an 
associated RSVP request for transport of IP media when it receives either a
certain priority or emergency indicator? 

I think the answers are "yes" but I would like to make sure I am reading 
this correctly.  

Thank you, 

Kimberly 

Dr. Kimberly King 
Principal Network Engineer 
SAIC 
McLean, VA 22102 

Background: 

The framework http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2805.txt states " 
   k.   Allow the MGC to specify that a given connection has higher 
        priority than other connections." 

6.1.1 Context attributes and descriptors of 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-megaco-h248v2-01.txt 
"ò  The priority is used for a Context in order to provide the MG with 
   information about a certain precedence handling for a Context. The 
   MGC can also use the priority to control autonomously the traffic 
   precedence in the MG in a smooth way in certain situations (e.g. 
   restart), when a lot of Contexts must be handled simultaneously. 
   Priority 0 is the lowest priority and a priority of 15 is the highest 
   priority. 

   ò  An indicator for an emergency call is also provided to allow a 
   preference handling in the MG." 

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco