Subject: [Megaco] Direction of Gain in TDMC package

From: Hebden Ed-bluw41 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 15:33:40 +0100

Hi

I have a query about setting the Gain.

In our Media Gateway implementation a gain can be applied to the signal passed into the codec both in the direction from the physical termination, and in the direction from the network - i.e the ephemeral termination. The TDM Circuit package should I think only apply to physical terminations, which implies that the gain property in this package applies to the Send direction from the physical termination.

So my question is - is there an equivalent property in a package that applies to ephemeral terminations? Or, do people think that setting the gain in the send direction only (and in my scenario using some default in the receive direction) is sufficient?

Ed Hebden

Motorola Computer Group
Loughborough Park
Ashby Road
Loughborough
Leics
LE11 3NE
01509 634373

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 11:04:09 -0400

This was a a topic of discussion on the list only a week or two ago and 
concensus was that the gain should apply to send direction.  The TDM 
package was indeed intended originally for the PSTN termination, but the 
wording was changed recently to make it clear that it could be used for 
any termination that supported gain and echo control.  So if useful it 
could be applied to an RTP termination for sending gain, but I don't 
know that echo control makes any sense for this termination.  If gain in 
the PSTN->RTP direction is widely desired, we might entertain a new 
version of the TDM package that had an additional property for inward gain.

I am planning (soon) to submit a wording change to make it clear that 
gain applies to the send direction.

-- 

------------------------------------------------------------
Terry L Anderson              mailto:[email-masked]
Tel:732.949.5628   Fax:732.949.7016
Lucent Technologies/INS/Voice Over IP Access Networks
Rm 2G-219A, 101 Crawfords Corner Rd, Holmdel, NJ 07733-3030
http://its.lucent.com/~tla (Lucent internal) http://www.gti.net/tla

---

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 11:04:09 -0400

--