Subject: [Megaco] Invalid MG and message

From: Rajeev K R <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:07:38 +0800

Hi All,
I have two queries:

1. In one MGC implementation the MG IP addresses are already provisioned and only those Mugs are allowed to make calls. In this situation how a message from Invalid(non-provisioned) IP address should be handled ? Should it return error (if yes, which error code)? Or should it simply drop the message ?

2. How should we deal non-megaco message in a megaco MGC ? This means the MEGACO token is not present in the message. Should an error be returned ? Or drop the message ?

Regards,
Rajeev

---

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 11:25:21 -0400

Rajeev K R wrote:

> Hi All,
> I have two queries:
>  
> 1. In one MGC implementation the MG IP addresses are already 
> provisioned and only those Mugs are allowed to make calls. In this 
> situation how a message from Invalid(non-provisioned) IP address 
> should be handled ? Should it return error (if yes, which error code)? 
> Or should it simply drop the message ?

Megaco allows many options on how the MGC authenticates MG's or chooses 
whether to accept an association.  Certainly one option is (as you 
suggest) provisioning a list of acceptable MGs and refusing all others. 
 While one could return an error (I do not believe that their is 
currently one intended for this purpose), I believe that most MGCs will 
choose to ignore such registration attempts to consume as little 
resource as possible on them to minimize their use as a denial of 
service attack.

>  2. How should we deal non-megaco message in a megaco MGC ? This means 
> the MEGACO token is not present in the message. Should an error be 
> returned ? Or drop the message ?

How to handle messages that are outside the protocol are, well, outside 
the protocol.  MEGACO doesn't say anything about such messages.  One 
could certainly consider them to be megaco messages with syntax errors, 
but I believe most MGCs will choose to ignore them (consuming as little 
resources on them as possible) since they can be used as a form of 
denial of service attack.

-- 

------------------------------------------------------------
Terry L Anderson, CMTS          mailto:[email-masked]
Tel:732.949.5628   Fax:732.949.7016
Lucent Technologies/INS/Voice Over IP Access Networks
Rm 2G-219A, 101 Crawfords Corner Rd, Holmdel, NJ 07733-3030
http://its.lucent.com/~tla (Lucent internal) http://www.gti.net/tla

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 11:25:21 -0400

--