Subject: [Megaco] variables in text encoding

From: Raphael Tryster <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 15:39:01 +0200

Is there a standard practice regarding how MGs and MGCs decide whether to
use the long or short form of identifiers, whether to break lines, indent,
how much to indent, where to add spaces or tabs, etc?

Raphael Tryster

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:25:34 -0400

The text encoding is written such that it is allowable to use both long and
short form tokens interchangeably, even in the same message!  So parsers
should be able to handle that possibility.

As for the rest, I am of the opinion that whitespace and comments should be
minimized in messaging, unless there is a specific need for it, like making
reading easier for debugging purposes.  In that instance, it may be useful
to allow some sort of toggle that would encode the messaging in the
easier-read format for debugging (or whatever), and then allow the user to
go back to a minimal whitespace encoding to reduce message size.

That's my two cents, anyway.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Raphael Tryster [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2002 9:39 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] variables in text encoding

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:25:34 -0400

Kevin

---

From: Raphael Tryster <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 09:07:14 +0200

I raised the question because I was wondering if such encoder configuration
data would be useful to control from a remote manager and therefore should
be included in the MIB.

Raphael Tryster

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Kevin Boyle [SMTP:[email-masked]]
	Sent:	Wednesday, 14 August, 2002 9:26 PM
	To:	Raphael Tryster; [email-masked]
	Subject:	RE: [Megaco] variables in text encoding

	The text encoding is written such that it is allowable to use both
long and short form tokens interchangeably, even in the same message!  So
parsers should be able to handle that possibility.

	As for the rest, I am of the opinion that whitespace and comments
should be minimized in messaging, unless there is a specific need for it,
like making reading easier for debugging purposes.  In that instance, it may
be useful to allow some sort of toggle that would encode the messaging in
the easier-read format for debugging (or whatever), and then allow the user
to go back to a minimal whitespace encoding to reduce message size.

	Kevin 

	-----Original Message----- 
	From: Raphael Tryster [ mailto:[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> ] 
	Sent: Monday, August 12, 2002 9:39 AM 
	To: [email-masked] 
	Subject: [Megaco] variables in text encoding 

	Is there a standard practice regarding how MGs and MGCs decide
whether to use the long or short form of identifiers, whether to break
lines, indent, how much to indent, where to add spaces or tabs, etc?

	Raphael Tryster

---

From: Raphael Tryster <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 09:07:14 +0200

Raphael Tryster

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Kevin Boyle [SMTP:[email-masked]]
	Sent:	Wednesday, 14 August, 2002 9:26 PM
	To:	Raphael Tryster; [email-masked]
	Subject:	RE: [Megaco] variables in text encoding

	Kevin 

	-----Original Message----- 

	Raphael Tryster