Subject: [Megaco] ESA for MGs using Megaco

From: "Kathleen Jarosinski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 13:30:36 -0400

All,

	I have two questions for the group.

	1) One of the requirements for line gateways will be to do Emergency
Standlone Service (ESA). How will this be accomplished using the Megaco
protocol, which is essentially a "master-slave" type protocol? ESA requires
that the MG process emergency calls even after it loses it main connections
to the MGC. Normally, remote modules (MGs in the future) are able to switch
calls among the lines residing on that module after connections to the main
switch (MGC in the future) are lost.

	2) Megaco is a "chatty" protocol since it is based on MGCP. I am concerned
about the processing power which will be required in the MGC to handle this
protocol. Has anyone looked into this matter in any depth?

	I also have a request. I am making an assumption that the Megaco group will
be working with the MSF Forum when they do a Megaco interoperability trial
this fall. I would like to see the two above scenarios tested in this
interoperability trial. The second item above will require that some
substantial call load be placed between the MGC and the MG. Can this be
accomplished and is this the right group to make the request of?

Kathie Jarosinski
Verizon

Kathleen F. Jarosinski  -  [email-masked]
Distinguished Member of Technical Staff
Verizon Technology Organization
320 St Paul Place
5th Floor
Baltimore, Md. 21202
PHONE: (410) 736-6109  FAX: (410) 736-5903

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:25:38 -0400

Comments inline. [KJBII]

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Kathleen Jarosinski [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2002 1:31 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] ESA for MGs using Megaco

All,

[KJBII] ESA is outside the scope of H.248.  There are several ways I could
think of that a particular implementation may use to implement this
functionality, each with its own advantages and disadvantages.  However,
don't expect to see any requirements out of this group, since MG function
when the connection doesn't exist between the MGC and MG has nothing to do
with the protocol (with the exception of reestablishment of communications).

	2) Megaco is a "chatty" protocol since it is based on MGCP. I am
concerned about the processing power which will be required in the MGC to
handle this protocol. Has anyone looked into this matter in any depth?

[KJBII] There are many MGC implementations in existence.  I do not think
that processing requirements have been a big concern, since processing power
is relatively inexpensive these days.  I would think that implementations
that are designed to support large traffic loads are performing appropriate
testing to ensure their ability to handle the load.

	I also have a request. I am making an assumption that the Megaco
group will be working with the MSF Forum when they do a Megaco
interoperability trial this fall. I would like to see the two above
scenarios tested in this interoperability trial. The second item above will
require that some substantial call load be placed between the MGC and the
MG. Can this be accomplished and is this the right group to make the request
of?

[KJBII] The MSF is a body that is using specifications that are produced by
the IETF Megaco working group and ITU-T Q.3/16, but has no direct
affiliation to either.  I understand that the MSF has recently opened their
interop trial to non-MSF members, but I believe that is because there are
not enough members participating to make the interop worthwhile.  This group
has members creating implementations, but the purpose of the group is not to
mandate any particular implementation, or to perform interoperability
certification.  This group's mandate is to produce specifications for a
Media Gateway Control protocol.

[KJBII] As for generating loads on MGCs and/or MGs, a traffic generator
would be a good place to start.

Kathie Jarosinski
Verizon

Kathleen F. Jarosinski  -  [email-masked] Distinguished
Member of Technical Staff Verizon Technology Organization 320 St Paul Place
5th Floor Baltimore, Md. 21202
PHONE: (410) 736-6109  FAX: (410) 736-5903

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:25:38 -0400

Comments inline. [KJBII]

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Kathleen Jarosinski [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2002 1:31 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] ESA for MGs using Megaco

All,

Kathie Jarosinski
Verizon