Subject: [Megaco] Empty event desc processing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:43:23 +0530

Hi Kevin,

As per the Normal processing of Event desc, if no event in the
event desc. matches the buffered events then the events which were
present in the new event desc will only be recognised and reported and after the
first reporting buffering will be  activated again.

As you have mentioned that buffering (according to the event buffer desc) will
continue to happen,
after empty event desc processing for termination operating in Lockstep mode,
this seems to be different from the normal behaviour wherein the buffering is
activated only after
the first reporting(according to new event desc). In this scenario,the new event
desc contains no event .
Hence no reporting.

Regs
Sachin Gupta

"Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]> on 10/23/2002 02:12:19 PM

To:   Shobhit Bansal/HSS@HSS, [email-masked], Sachin Gupta-PNGN/HSS@HSS
cc:

Subject:  RE: [Megaco] (no subject)

Comments inline. [KJBII]

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 8:00 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] (no subject)

Hi List,

There is some doubt about the processing of Empty Event desc while the
termination is operating in Lockstep mode.

As per the protocol
 "If an empty Events Descriptor is activated while the termination is
operating in LockStep mode, the events buffer is immidiately cleared."

After this processing is over
1>> Do events that are present in the event buffer desc. will still be
recognised
and accumulated ?
[KJBII] Yes.  The EB descriptor was not changed, so its function should not
change.

OR

2>> Wait for the new Event desc? In this case No events which are
2>> present in the
event buffer
desc will be recognized and accumulated.
[KJBII] Really what the sentence you've quoted is saying is that when in
LockStep, an empty E descriptor for the MGC is a "clear the buffer" command.
This is because nothing can match the empty descriptor.  If the MGC wanted
to halt buffering, it could send an empty EB descriptor.  Any other
opinions?  Do we need an IG item for this?

Thanks and regards
Sachin

DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Hughes Software Systems Limited
(HSS) and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is
addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential information  and
should not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is
intended. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
notified that you are strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering, or
disclosing the contents of this message. HSS accepts no responsibility for
loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this
email including damage from virus.

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 04:39:00 -0400

There seems to be some confusion here.  I was talking about buffering
events, not reporting them.  Those are two different functions.  Just
because the EB descriptor asks for certain events to be buffered lends no
guarantee that those events will ever be reported to the MGC.

Let me try again:

The EB descriptor is set with several events.  The MG also has buffered
several of those events and is operating in LockStep mode, so it is awaiting
an Events descriptor.  The MGC sends an empty E descriptor to the MG.  The
following occurs:

1. The MG clears its list of buffered events.  This is clearly specified in
the spec.

2. The MG deactivates the Events descriptor.  Although this is not clearly
specified, it seems to me that the way to turn off buffering is to clear the
EB descriptor.  So, the implication is that really the MGC wants to clear
the buffer and start afresh.  Since the empty E descriptor cannot match any
event, unless we make this particular clarification, then clearing the EB
descriptor would have the identical behavior to clearing the E descriptor,
which is not, I believe, the behavior we want.

3. The MG starts buffering the events contained in the EB descriptor,
awaiting a new E descriptor.

As you can see, at no time does the MG report any detected events to the
MGC.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 12:13 AM
To: Boyle, Kevin [NCRTP:3R90:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Empty event desc processing

Hi Kevin,

As per the Normal processing of Event desc, if no event in the event desc.
matches the buffered events then the events which were present in the new
event desc will only be recognised and reported and after the first
reporting buffering will be  activated again.

As you have mentioned that buffering (according to the event buffer desc)
will continue to happen, after empty event desc processing for termination
operating in Lockstep mode, this seems to be different from the normal
behaviour wherein the buffering is activated only after the first
reporting(according to new event desc). In this scenario,the new event desc
contains no event . Hence no reporting.

Regs
Sachin Gupta

Comments inline. [KJBII]

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 8:00 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] (no subject)

Hi List,

As per the protocol

OR

Thanks and regards
Sachin

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 04:39:00 -0400

Let me try again:

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 12:13 AM
To: Boyle, Kevin [NCRTP:3R90:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Empty event desc processing

Hi Kevin,

Regs
Sachin Gupta

Comments inline. [KJBII]

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 8:00 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] (no subject)

Hi List,

As per the protocol

OR

Thanks and regards
Sachin

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:38:10 +0530

The points 2 and 3, although seems to be the correct behaviour, are not in
accordance
with the normal event/eventbuffer processing and even not specified in the
specs.
These implications should be clearly specified and there should be an IG item on
this.

Regs
Sachin Gupta

"Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]> on 10/24/2002 09:39:00 AM

To:   Sachin Gupta-PNGN/HSS@HSS
cc:   [email-masked]

Subject:  RE: Empty event desc processing

Let me try again:

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 12:13 AM
To: Boyle, Kevin [NCRTP:3R90:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Empty event desc processing

Hi Kevin,

Regs
Sachin Gupta

Comments inline. [KJBII]

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 8:00 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] (no subject)

Hi List,

As per the protocol

OR

Thanks and regards
Sachin

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:38:10 +0530

Regs
Sachin Gupta

Let me try again:

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 12:13 AM
To: Boyle, Kevin [NCRTP:3R90:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Empty event desc processing

Hi Kevin,

Regs
Sachin Gupta

Comments inline. [KJBII]

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 8:00 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] (no subject)

Hi List,

As per the protocol

OR

Thanks and regards
Sachin

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:32:01 -0400

I am all for clarifying this in the IG.  Any other comments?  If we agree
that this is the way to go, I will add this once the new IG clears approval
of SG16 in the next day or so.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 8:08 AM
To: Boyle, Kevin [NCRTP:3R90:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] RE: Empty event desc processing

The points 2 and 3, although seems to be the correct behaviour, are not in
accordance with the normal event/eventbuffer processing and even not
specified in the specs. These implications should be clearly specified and
there should be an IG item on this.

Regs
Sachin Gupta

Let me try again:

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 12:13 AM
To: Boyle, Kevin [NCRTP:3R90:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Empty event desc processing

Hi Kevin,

Regs
Sachin Gupta

Comments inline. [KJBII]

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 8:00 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] (no subject)

Hi List,

As per the protocol

OR

Thanks and regards
Sachin