Subject: RE: [Megaco] Enhanced digit collection package

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 06:17:56 -0400

Ummm... Where are the pulse digit events?  There are explicit DTMF digit
events in the dd package.  Also, there is no description of how the pulse
events are mapped to the digitmap letters.  Also, you do not have access to
the DTMF digits here, since you have not extended the dd package.

There seems to be a lot of hand-waving implied in this proposal.  That is
generally bad form in package definition, as it will lead to multiple
different implementations of the same package, none of which interop.  More
detail is better in package definitions.

And, for the record, "Enhanced Digit Collection Package" is already used, as
is "Extended" (see H.248.16).

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: John Stock [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2002 7:46 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Megaco] Enhanced digit collection package

Hi all,

My understanding of the process of getting new packages released/approved is
to present to the IETF working group community via the email list.  So
here's one for your perusal; created per some previous conversations on
pulse dialing handling.  Please let me know if there are any comments. Also,
is there a place to put these drafts prior to submittal to the IESG?

Thank you.

Media Gateway Control                                        John Stock
Internet Draft                            Advanced Fibre Communications
Document: draft-stock-megaco-enhdigcoll.txt              September 2002
Category: Standards Track                        

 
           Enhanced Digit Collection Package for Megaco/H.248 

Status of this Memo 
 
   This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance with 
   all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026 [1].  
    
   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering 
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups. Note that 
   other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
   Drafts. Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of 
   six months and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other 
   documents at any time. It is inappropriate to use Internet- Drafts 
   as reference material or to cite them other than as "work in 
   progress."  
   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at 
   http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt  
   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at 
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html. 

1. Abstract 
    
   This document provides proposed definitions for a supplemental 
   package for Megaco/H.248. The package address support of 
   enhanced functionality for digit collection in media gateways. 
    
2. Conventions used in this document 
    
   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", 
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED",  "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in 
   this document are to be interpreted as described in RFC-2119 [2]. 

Stock           Standards Track - Expires March 2003                  1 
       Enhanced Digit Collection Package for Megaco/H.248    Sept. 2002
    
3. Enhanced Digit Collection Package
    
   PackageID: enhdc (0xIANA) 
   Version: 1 
   Extends: tonedet version 1 
    
   This package defines a DTMF vs. Pulse dialing parameter for the digit
   collection event.  This indication is desired primarily to assist in 
   billing in the MGC, as some service providers bill differently for 
   tone vs. pulse dialing.  Since digits are typically collected in the MG, 
   the MG must give this indication to the MGC via the H.248 protocol.
    
   3.1 Properties 
    
       None. 
    
   3.2 Events 
    
       DigitMap Completion Event

           EventID: ce, 0xIANA

           Generated when a digit map completes as described in section 
           7.1.14 of [3].

           EventsDescriptor parameters: None.

           ObservedEventsDescriptor parameters:

               DigitString

                   ParameterID: ds (0x0001)

                   Type: string of digit map symbols (possibly empty) 
                   returned as a quotedString

                   Possible values: a sequence of the characters "0" 
                   through "9", "A" through "F", and the long duration 
                   modifier "Z".

                   Description: the portion of the current dial string 
                   as described in section 7.1.14 of [3] which matched 
                   part or all of an alternative event sequence specified
                   in the digit map.

               Termination Method

                   ParameterID: Meth (0x0003)

                   Type: enumeration

                   Possible values:

                   "UM" (0x0001) Unambiguous match

                   "PM" (0x0002) Partial match, completion by timer 
                   expiry or unmatched event

                   "FM" (0x0003) Full match, completion by timer expiry 
                   or unmatched event

                   Description: indicates the reason for generation of the 
                   event. See the procedures in section 7.1.14 of [3].

               Dialing Method
 
                   ParameterID: DialMeth (0xIANA)
 
                   Type: enumeration

                   Possible values:

                   "DTMF" (0xIANA) Indicates digits were collected via
                   DTMF tones.

                   "DP" (0xIANA) Indicates digits were collected via 
                   pulse dialing.

                   Description: Indicates the method used for digit dialing.

   3.3 Signals 
    
       None. 

   3.3 Statistics
    
       None. 

   3.4 Procedures

       Gateways in the public telephony network should differentiate between

       DTMF and Pulse dialing, and pass this indication in the Dialing 
       Method parameter.  Mixture of DTMF and Pulse within a single dialing
       event should not be allowed; e.g. if the MG detects a start of
dialing
       sequence via pulse, then DTMF digits should be ignored.

4. References

   Informative 
 
   1  Bradner, S., "The Internet Standards Process -- Revision 3", BCP 
      9, RFC 2026, October 1996. 
    
   2  Bradner, S., "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate Requirement 
      Levels", BCP 14, RFC 2119, March 1997 
    
   Normative 
    
   3  Cuervo, et al., "Megaco Protocol Version 1.0", RFC 3015, November 
      2000 

5. Author's Address
    
   John Stock
   Advanced Fibre Communications
   1465 N. McDowell Blvd.
   Petaluma, CA 94952  USA 
   Phone: +1 707 792 6249 
   Email: [email-masked] 

Stock           Standards Track - Expires March 2003                  1 

John Stock
Systems Engineering
Advanced Fibre Communications
[email-masked]
707-792-6249

And now for the standard disclaimer (don't lawyers just make life fun?):

This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the
named addressee(s), and may contain information that is legally privileged,
confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not
a named addressee, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this message in error, please notify the original sender
immediately by telephone or by return E-mail and delete this message, along
with any attachments, from your computer. Thank you.

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco
_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 06:17:56 -0400

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: John Stock [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2002 7:46 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Megaco] Enhanced digit collection package

Hi all,

Thank you.

 

Status of this Memo 

1. Abstract 

    

    

    
   3.1 Properties 
    
       None. 
    
   3.2 Events 

           EventID: ce, 0xIANA

               DigitString

                   ParameterID: ds (0x0001)

               Termination Method

                   Type: enumeration

                   Possible values:

               Dialing Method

                   Type: enumeration

                   Possible values:

   3.3 Signals 
    
       None. 

   3.3 Statistics
    
       None. 

   3.4 Procedures

4. References

   Informative 

    
   Normative 

5. Author's Address
    
   John Stock

John Stock
Systems Engineering