Subject: [Megaco] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-megaco-mib-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 07:11:42 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Media Gateway Control Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Megaco MIB
	Author(s)	: M. Holdrege, I. Akramovich, C. Brown, B. Pitchandi
	Filename	: draft-ietf-megaco-mib-04.txt
	Pages		: 33
	Date		: 2002-10-2
	
This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols in the Internet community.  In particular, it defines objects for use by the MEGACO/H.248 protocol operating on Media Gateways and Media Gateway Controllers. These objects can be used to manage the network containing Media Gateways and Media Gateway Controllers. 
This new version of the draft is an entire rework of the old version. Most of the missing MIB objects have been added to cover all the aspects of the entities being managed. The number of objects is kept at a minimum to ensure the easy implementation. For backward compatibility, some of the old objects are also retained.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-megaco-mib-04.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-megaco-mib-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-megaco-mib-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Balasubramanian Pitchandi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 16:32:11 -0400

Folks,

I finally have completed the new MIB draft. It is basically a re-work of
the old draft. So, I would like to have as much discussion as possible
on it to better refine it.

I will submit two new drafts (draft-ietf-megaco-ringing-mib-00.txt &
draft-ietf-megaco-pkgmibs-00.txt) which would cover the package MIBs
within a week.

The Summary of changes in brief:

1. The old draft (draft-ietf-megaco-mib-03.txt) did not address how
media gateways that are controlled by multiple media gateway controllers
would be configured. It is addressed in the new MIB draft.

2. Added new MIB objects to configure the TCP/UDP Port number, the
Signaling Transport Protocol and the Encoding Scheme that are to be
configured per media gateway

3. Added Administrative Status and Operational Status for the media
gateways, media gateway controllers and the terminations in a media
gateway

4. Added a medGwyGatewayControllerId to uniquely identify each media
gateway controller in the medGwyGatewayControllerTable.

5. The old draft had ambiguities about what a link is and how a link
could be used to manage multiple media gateways. It is clarified clearly
in the new draft.

6. The sizes of some of the MIB objects were incorrect and I corrected
the sizes to the appropriate value. Changed the list of possible values
for many of the objects to reflect the appropriate meaning.

7. Added rules that guide each of the table in the MIB that would make
clear how the tables are operated over when doing a SET/GET.

8. Added two new Notifications to the MEGACO-MIB-NOTIFICATION that were
not there in the old draft.

9. The old draft did not address the MIB Conformance section. Created
the conformance statements for the MIB and created the different
conformance groups (mediaGateway, mediaGatewayController etc.) that
vendors have to adhere to, when they release Megaco MIB Conformance
Statements.

10. The old draft did not address the Security Considerations for the
MIB. Added the Security Considerations (Section 3).

11. Renamed the MIB to MEGACO-MIB and changed the corresponding objects
names appropriately. Rewritten all the MIB object descriptions removing
the discrepancies and ambiguities that were present in the old draft.

Your comments and questions are welcome.
 
Thanks,
Bala
 
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2002 7:12 AM
To: IETF-Announce:
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-megaco-mib-04.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Media Gateway Control Working Group of
the IETF.

	Title		: Megaco MIB
	Author(s)	: M. Holdrege, I. Akramovich, C. Brown, B.
Pitchandi
	Filename	: draft-ietf-megaco-mib-04.txt
	Pages		: 33
	Date		: 2002-10-2
	
This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB) for
use with network management protocols in the Internet community.  In
particular, it defines objects for use by the MEGACO/H.248 protocol
operating on Media Gateways and Media Gateway Controllers. These objects
can be used to manage the network containing Media Gateways and Media
Gateway Controllers. 
This new version of the draft is an entire rework of the old version.
Most of the missing MIB objects have been added to cover all the aspects
of the entities being managed. The number of objects is kept at a
minimum to ensure the easy implementation. For backward compatibility,
some of the old objects are also retained.

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the
message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-megaco-mib-04.txt".

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Balasubramanian Pitchandi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 16:32:11 -0400

Folks,

 
Thanks,
Bala
 
-----Original Message-----

	Title		: Megaco MIB

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type: