Subject: [Megaco] How to handle message sent from an unauthorized MGC ?

From: "k_chandrakala" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 14:36:05 +0530

Hi List,

Can someone please enlighten me on this -  If a MG stack receives a Service Change message sent from an unauthorized MGC - should the MG side (Application or stack) respond to this "Unauthorised Request from the unauthorised MGC ? I believe the MG side should NOT respond to the MGC in such cases. This is a drain on the processing required at MG end and could also result in DOS situation. Any comments please ?

Chandrakala.

 
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from Indiatimes at  http://email.indiatimes.com
Buy Music, Video, CD-ROM, Audio-Books and Music Accessories from http://www.planetm.co.in
Change the way you talk. Indiatimes presents "Valufon", Your PC to Phone service with clear voice at rates far less than the normal ISD rates. Go to http://www.valufon.indiatimes.com. Choose your plan. BUY NOW.

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 10:15:21 -0400

It is largely an implementation issue, but I would agree that replying to
unknown entities is a fool's errand.  Not only could it be a DOS attack
against the MG, but the replies will also add to network congestion,
extending the DOS attack to the entire network, rather than just the MG.
 
This scenario makes a case for MGCs being preprovisioned with MG information
to avoid the same kind of attack scenario.
 
Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: k_chandrakala [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 5:06 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] How to handle message sent from an unauthorized MGC ?

Hi List,

Can someone please enlighten me on this -  If a MG stack receives a Service
Change message sent from an unauthorized MGC - should the MG side
(Application or stack) respond to this "Unauthorised Request from the
unauthorised MGC ? I believe the MG side should NOT respond to the MGC in
such cases. This is a drain on the processing required at MG end and could
also result in DOS situation. Any comments please ?

Chandrakala.

  _____  

Get Your Private, Free E-mail from Indiatimes at
<http://email.indiatimes.com> http://email.indiatimes.com
Buy Music, Video, CD-ROM, Audio-Books and Music Accessories from
http://www.planetm.co.in <http://www.planetm.co.in> 
Change the way you talk. Indiatimes presents "Valufon", Your PC to Phone
service with clear voice at rates far less than the normal ISD rates. Go to
http://www.valufon.indiatimes.com <http://www.valufon.indiatimes.com> .
Choose your plan. BUY NOW. 

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 10:15:21 -0400

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: k_chandrakala [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 5:06 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] How to handle message sent from an unauthorized MGC ?

Hi List,

Chandrakala.

  _____

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 11:29:25 -0400

I think I would agree with you.  One could modify this slightly by replying
if the MGC is not the one currently in charge, but is in the list of
authorized MGCs for that MG.  That may help the MGC sort out its own state.

-----Original Message-----
From: k_chandrakala [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 5:06 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] How to handle message sent from an unauthorized MGC ?

Hi List,

http://www.planetm.co.in
http://www.valufon.indiatimes.com. Choose your plan. BUY NOW.

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 11:29:25 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: k_chandrakala [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 5:06 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] How to handle message sent from an unauthorized MGC ?

Hi List,