Subject: RE: [Megaco] query

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 10:07:03 -0500

Your problem is that these matters fall outside of the scope of Megaco and
MGCP themselves.  

(1) To take your first question: the destination is determined either from
incoming call signalling or from dialled digits.  To take different cases as
examples:

-- digits reported as events on a termination could be matched against a
provisioned routing table, which could point to another termination on the
same MG or to an IP network element (e.g. a SIP Proxy or another gateway).
As a minor variation, the routing database could be located separately.
Further along this line, the dialled digits could be converted to a tel: URI
and present to DNS as an ENUM query.

-- the Request-URI in the SIP INVITE or the destinationAddress in the H.323
Setup-UUIE contains the necessary information which has to be translated
(typically) into a physical termination on the MG.

(2) The translation process has to tell the MGC what kind of network the
call is being routed to.

(3) Typically in an H.323 network you will find the call routing
intelligence at the Gatekeeper.  Other arrangements are certainly possible
(e.g. Gateways tied into IN).

-----Original Message-----
From: anand [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Saturday, December 07, 2002 2:03 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] query

Dear Sir/Madam,

We have gone through the H.248/Megaco rfc docs,H.323v4 recommndation and
MGCP docs. But we are finding it a bit difficult to clearly understand the
following things :-
 1) How does a MGC that receives a call (from its MG or as an incoming
call) find out where the destination is and to whom it has to route the
call(does it do some lookup?)?
 2) How does the MGC identify what kind of n/w ( H323/ SIP/ PSTN,etc ) the
call is destined to?
 3) In a ( PSTN-H323 ) n/w where is the call routing intelligence present -
does  it have to be the GK only or can any other component take care of it?

 Kindly mail back with answers to help us understand the above better.

Regards
Deepa
Anand
_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco