Subject: [Megaco] Clarification Required in Section 7.1.18

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 12:50:10 +0530

Hi list,

In section 7.1.18, It is mentioned that

"(T1, T2, oneway) means that the Terminations that match T2 receive
 media from the Terminations matching T1, but not vice versa. In
 this case use of the ALL wildcard such that there are Terminations
 that match both T1 and T2 is not allowed. "

Now which of the following combinations are valid and which can be ignored
(Assuming a context have terminations T11 and T12)

1.   (*,*,Oneway)
2.   (T1*, *, Oneway)
3.   (T12*, *, Oneway)
4.   (T11, *, Oneway)  :
     In this * will resolve to both T11 and T12 can The tuple (T11, T11, Oneway)
be ignored or is it to be treated as invalid
5.   (T11, T11, Oneway)

Also here in (2) and (3)  Partial ALL WC have been used in tuples. Is that
allowed ?

Thanks and regards
Shobhit

DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Hughes Software Systems
Limited (HSS) and is intended solely for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential
information  and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other
than for what it is intended. If you have received this message in error,
please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using,
copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. HSS accepts
no responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the information
transmitted by this email including damage from virus.

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 13:29:44 -0500

>From the current version of the IG:

6.13	Wildcarding in the Topology Descriptor

Description:	During discussions on the Megaco Mailing list an ambiguity
was recognized in the text describing how wildcarding work in the case of a
one way topology descriptor. It was thought that a "*" wildcard was not
allowed to be used in the topology triple (T1,T2,oneway). This is incorrect
as a "*" wildcard may be used in one termination ID but not both.
Reference:	Subject: RE: [Megaco] Question on Section 7.1.18 Megaco V2
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 13:31:54 -0500
From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>

[Begin Correction]
7.1.18	Topology Descriptor
...
*	(T1, T2, oneway) means that the Terminations that match T2 receive
media from the Terminations matching T1, but not vice versa. In this case
use of the ALL wildcard such that there are Terminations that match either
T1 or T2 but not both is allowed.
...
[End Correction]

So, using * in both places is not allowed.  However, restricting one of the
two terms to a specific termID means you can use any wildcard in the other.
Using partially specified termIDs are allowed, as long as you can't get one
term to match both termIDs.

Does that help?

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 2:20 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Clarification Required in Section 7.1.18

Hi list,

"(T1, T2, oneway) means that the Terminations that match T2 receive  media
from the Terminations matching T1, but not vice versa. In  this case use of
the ALL wildcard such that there are Terminations  that match both T1 and T2
is not allowed. "

1.   (*,*,Oneway)
2.   (T1*, *, Oneway)
3.   (T12*, *, Oneway)
4.   (T11, *, Oneway)  :
     In this * will resolve to both T11 and T12 can The tuple (T11, T11,
Oneway) be ignored or is it to be treated as invalid
5.   (T11, T11, Oneway)

Thanks and regards
Shobhit

DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Hughes Software Systems Limited
(HSS) and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is
addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential information  and
should not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is
intended. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
notified that you are strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering, or
disclosing the contents of this message. HSS accepts no responsibility for
loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this
email including damage from virus.

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 13:29:44 -0500

[Begin Correction]

Does that help?

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 2:20 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Clarification Required in Section 7.1.18

Hi list,

1.   (*,*,Oneway)
2.   (T1*, *, Oneway)
3.   (T12*, *, Oneway)
4.   (T11, *, Oneway)  :

Thanks and regards
Shobhit

---

From: Aleksandr Ryabin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 17:51:11 -0500

Hi,

I'd say that a combination such as (T1, T1, oneway) is meaningless
and should always be silently ignored.
If we take that into consideration then we can cross out "as long as you can't
get one term to match both termIDs." in your last sentence below and thus
we could allow constructions like (T1, *, oneway) which can be very useful
when T1 can not be separated out from the rest of the wildcard.

Just an idea.
Thanks
         Aleks

At 01:29 PM 3/5/2003, Kevin Boyle wrote:

>was recognized in the text describing how wildcarding work in the case of 
>a one way topology descriptor. It was thought that a "*" wildcard was not 
>allowed to be used in the topology triple (T1,T2,oneway). This is 
>incorrect as a "*" wildcard may be used in one termination ID but not both.
>
>So, using * in both places is not allowed.  However, restricting one of 
>the two terms to a specific termID means you can use any wildcard in the 
>other.  Using partially specified termIDs are allowed, as long as you 
>can't get one term to match both termIDs.
>
>Does that help?
>
>Kevin
>
>From: [email-masked] 
>[<mailto:[email-masked]>mailto:[email-masked]]
>from the Terminations matching T1, but not vice versa. In  this case use 
>of the ALL wildcard such that there are Terminations  that match both T1 
>and T2 is not allowed. "
>
>notified that you are strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering, 
>or disclosing the contents of this message. HSS accepts no responsibility 
>for loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by 
>this email including damage from virus.
>
><https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco 
>

---

From: Aleksandr Ryabin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 17:51:11 -0500

Hi,

Just an idea.
Thanks
         Aleks