Subject: RE: [Megaco] Cancel Service Change (method=Graceful) mechanism

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 11:54:27 +0530

Hi Kevin

During discussions on this thread for cancelling a graceful service change
active
on a termination, following alternatives were suggested.
I didn't see a final decision on the discussion.
Do we now have a final resolution on which alternative will go in the standard.

Option 1:
Service Change Method = "Restart", Reason = "WarmBoot(902)".
This mandates changes to H.248.8 to allow Reason="WarmBoot(902)" for non-ROOT
terminations also.

Option 2:
Service Change Method = "Restart", Reason = "Service Restored(900)".
This mandates changes to H.248.8 to modify the definition of Reason="Service
Restored(900)"
to include the cancellation of any active graceful state change on the
termination.

Option 3:
MG sends another Service Change (method = Forced) after the graceful delay
timeout.
This mandates that only a Service Change (method = Forced) would finally put a
termination out of service. This will need extra text to the current base
protocol
description.

Regards
Sachin Gupta
---------------------- Forwarded by Sachin Gupta-PNGN/HSS on 03/21/2003 11:49 AM
---------------------------

"Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]> on 02/04/2003 03:26:22 PM

To:   Kapil Nayar/HSS@HSS
cc:   [email-masked] (bcc: megaco_maillist)

Subject:  RE: [Megaco] Cancel Service Change (method=Graceful) mechanism

That's what I get for not looking it up first.  Try 900.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 12:22 AM
To: Boyle, Kevin [NCRTP:3Z40:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Megaco] Cancel Service Change (method=Graceful) mechanism

Hi Kevin

Thanks for your reply...
But, as per H.248.8 the definition of Service Change reason "WarmBoot" is:

"This  indicates  that  the  entity  indicated  with  the  TerminationID  is
in ServiceState  "In-Service",  and  that it has gone through a start, or
recovery, action.  All  transactions  in process may be lost, but otherwise
all states are preserved on the termination."

with a special comment: "This reason code only applies for TerminationID
root" The protocol defines the usage of "WarmBoot" only for root
termination.

Alternatives?

thanks,
-kapil

"Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]> on 02/04/2003 12:50:20 AM

To:   Kapil Nayar/HSS@HSS, [email-masked]
cc:

Subject:  RE: [Megaco] Cancel Service Change (method=Graceful) mechanism

Comments inline. [KJBII]

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 7:19 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Cancel Service Change (method=Graceful) mechanism

Hi

It seems the protocol doesnot define any procedure for cancelling an earlier
Service Change (method=Graceful) on a non-root termination.

Taking a practical case:
MG sends a Service Change (method=Graceful) on a termination with delay= 2
hours. After 1 hour, MG realizes that it doesn't want to put the termination
out-of-service (after remaining 1 hour) as was earlier intended. How to
inform the MGC of the new intentions - cancel graceful..? Sending Service
Change (method =Restart) would mean that termination just came InService and
doesnot have any active descriptors, whereas this is not the case.

[KJBII] Why can't you use SC Restart?  The Warm Boot SC Reason indicates
that there was NO loss of state.

Solution:
MG sends Service Change (method = Graceful) delay =2 hours to inform MGC
only about the intentions. MG sends Service Change (method = Forced) when
the termination actually goes out-of-service after 2 hours. This ensures
that if Service Change (method = Forced) never came, the intentions of MG
never got materialised.

[KJBII] Ick.  So we will be required to send TWO SCs instead of one if we
use SC Graceful?  I really don't like that idea.

Does any body have an alternative solution? Please suggest.

thanks,
kapil nayar
www.hssworld.com

DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Hughes Software Systems Limited
(HSS) and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is
addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential information  and
should not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is
intended. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
notified that you are strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering, or
disclosing the contents of this message. HSS accepts no responsibility for
loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this
email including damage from virus.

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Hughes Software Systems
Limited (HSS) and is intended solely for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential
information  and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other
than for what it is intended. If you have received this message in error,
please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using,
copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. HSS accepts
no responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the information
transmitted by this email including damage from virus.

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco