Subject: [Megaco] Service Change and Testing

From: "CHATRAS Bruno FTRD/DAC/ISS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 19:05:43 +0200

Hi,
 
H.248 defines three values for the Termination State descriptor ("in
service", "out of service" and "test"). The ServiceChange procedures
allows the MG to notify the MGC when a termination is about to be taken
out of service (or is being returned to service). It seems that there is
not equivalent procedure when a termination is about to be tested (i.e.
termination state = test) and is therefore not available for normal
traffic. Is there a specific reason for treating these two states
differently or is just that the wording "out of service" in the
ServiceChange description encompasses both the "test" and "out of
service" termination states. If this is the case, I think a
clarification in the IG guide might be useful.
 
Regards,
BC

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 13:43:44 -0400

I have noticed this same discrepancy.  The problem is that the MGC is
allowed to set the ServiceStates parm utilizing a Modify command, while the
MG has no such capability (it must utilize ServiceChange).  Therefore, there
is no way for the MG to set the term into the Test state.
 
In the Annex F work at the most recent Q3 meeting, I raised the idea of
restricting the SI parm to being Read-only, and mandating that state changes
must utilize ServiceChange (in both directions).  This would also require a
new Method to set the term to Test.  The big problem is that this is a
change from the current function, and may have to wait until V3 due to the
parsing change with the Method parm (unless there is wide acceptance to push
this into earlier versions...)
 
This simplifies the termination state model by removing the ability to
change the parm in two different, competing ways.  It also provides the MG
the capability of setting the term into Test (which I think has value and
utility).
 
Comments?
 
Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: CHATRAS Bruno FTRD/DAC/ISS [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 1:06 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Service Change and Testing

Hi,
 
H.248 defines three values for the Termination State descriptor ("in
service", "out of service" and "test"). The ServiceChange procedures allows
the MG to notify the MGC when a termination is about to be taken out of
service (or is being returned to service). It seems that there is not
equivalent procedure when a termination is about to be tested (i.e.
termination state = test) and is therefore not available for normal traffic.
Is there a specific reason for treating these two states differently or is
just that the wording "out of service" in the ServiceChange description
encompasses both the "test" and "out of service" termination states. If this
is the case, I think a clarification in the IG guide might be useful.
 
Regards,
BC

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 13:43:44 -0400

Comments?
 
Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: CHATRAS Bruno FTRD/DAC/ISS [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 1:06 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Service Change and Testing

Hi,

Regards,
BC