Subject: [Megaco] Megaco V1/V2/V3 ?

From: Mike Dirk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 02:29:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All
     We are a small group of developers trying to
develop Megaco protocol stacks. However having gone
through the Megaco recommendations , we seems to be
confronted with lot of options on which protocol
version to start with. There are three versions of the
H248.1 protocol. 
Therefore request Megaco gurus to provide information
on general acceptibility  in the market for the
different versions. Any pointers to information/report
on vendors supporting different megaco versions will
be of great help. Also are the latest versions
downward compatible.

I thank you for an answer.

rgds
Mike Dirk

		
__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
SBC Yahoo! - Internet access at a great low price.
http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 19:34:42 +0530

Hi Mike
      Megaco V3 is still under developement. And as far as V2 is concerned
following are some of the main differences between V1 and V2
1. limiting the number of repetitions of transaction pending
2. Parameter level auditing, i.e., properties, events, signals and
statistics can be audited by the MGC.
3. Now it is possible for the Media Gateway to indicate that its
Capabilities have changed ( all changes can be conveyed via descriptors)
4. Now it is possible to Play a signal on the Root Termination
5. Modem descriptor being deprecated
6. MGC can describe the topology (who hears,sees whom) can be described per
stram level instead of context level.
7. Added procedures to handle the Service change profile in the service
change message.
8. Added requirement that initial ServiceChange of association use version
1 message format, even if ServiceChangeVersion is different
9. Not implicit, but AH is not recommended further on

So IMO most of the features except the Audit one, lie in the nice to have category. So its all depend on whether you want to build a system that
is compliant to the latest protocol or to have a system which conforms to a stable and experience-rich version.
As far as the downward compatibility is concerned Version Negotiation feature of the protocol ensure downward compatibility.

If we go through the Megaco-mail list which is a good repositary of the Megaco related information we don't find implementors talking much on
V2. However I would leave this to Megaco authors to provide  more details or  insight into the V2 traction in the market.

Regards
Venkat
Hughes Software Systems
www.hssworld.com

Mike Dirk <[email-masked]>@ietf.org on 05/17/2004 02:59:04 PM

Sent by:    [email-masked]

To:    [email-masked]
cc:

Subject:    [Megaco] Megaco V1/V2/V3 ?

Hi All

rgds
Mike Dirk

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 19:34:42 +0530

Hi Mike

Regards
Venkat
Hughes Software Systems
www.hssworld.com

To:    [email-masked]
cc:

Hi All

rgds
Mike Dirk

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 20:23:39 -0400

Keep in mind that version 1 will cease to be supported upon completion of
version 3.  This means that clarifications, bug fixes, etc., will NOT be
made to version 1 after that point.

Because H.248 versions are backward compatible, I suggest going with the
latest available version.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 10:05 PM
To: Mike Dirk
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Megaco] Megaco V1/V2/V3 ?

Hi Mike
      Megaco V3 is still under developement. And as far as V2 is concerned
following are some of the main differences between V1 and V2 1. limiting the
number of repetitions of transaction pending 2. Parameter level auditing,
i.e., properties, events, signals and statistics can be audited by the MGC.
3. Now it is possible for the Media Gateway to indicate that its
Capabilities have changed ( all changes can be conveyed via descriptors) 4.
Now it is possible to Play a signal on the Root Termination 5. Modem
descriptor being deprecated 6. MGC can describe the topology (who hears,sees
whom) can be described per stram level instead of context level.
7. Added procedures to handle the Service change profile in the service
change message.
8. Added requirement that initial ServiceChange of association use version
1 message format, even if ServiceChangeVersion is different 9. Not implicit,
but AH is not recommended further on

So IMO most of the features except the Audit one, lie in the nice to have
category. So its all depend on whether you want to build a system that is
compliant to the latest protocol or to have a system which conforms to a
stable and experience-rich version.
As far as the downward compatibility is concerned Version Negotiation
feature of the protocol ensure downward compatibility.

If we go through the Megaco-mail list which is a good repositary of the
Megaco related information we don't find implementors talking much on V2.
However I would leave this to Megaco authors to provide  more details or
insight into the V2 traction in the market.

Regards
Venkat
Hughes Software Systems
www.hssworld.com

To:    [email-masked]
cc:

Hi All
     We are a small group of developers trying to develop Megaco protocol
stacks. However having gone through the Megaco recommendations , we seems to
be confronted with lot of options on which protocol version to start with.
There are three versions of the
H248.1 protocol.
Therefore request Megaco gurus to provide information on general
acceptibility  in the market for the different versions. Any pointers to
information/report on vendors supporting different megaco versions will be
of great help. Also are the latest versions downward compatible.

rgds
Mike Dirk

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 20:23:39 -0400

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 10:05 PM
To: Mike Dirk
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Megaco] Megaco V1/V2/V3 ?

Hi Mike

Regards
Venkat
Hughes Software Systems
www.hssworld.com

To:    [email-masked]
cc:

Hi All

rgds
Mike Dirk