Subject: [Megaco] What can megaco do that H.450 can't???

From: "Michael Steen Ebbesen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 15:58:23 +0200

Hi people.

I am just starting on a new project with the OpenH323 framework. When I see products that offer analouge phone to  VoIP (MTA / ATA) they support megaco. Why is that??? From what I can see the H.450 can do the same things(call transfer, conferance and so on).
Hope some of you can clear this up for me. 

Thanks upfront

Michal E

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.675 / Virus Database: 437 - Release Date: 5/2/2004

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 13:23:48 -0400

The key point you're missing is the idea of the decomposed gateway.  There's an 
adapter between the analogue phones and the IP network.  In the Megaco view, this 
adapter carries stimulus signalling from the phones to the call processing element 
on the IP side, while adapting the voice content to IP (i.e., by encoding it and 
encapsulating it in RTP).  The call processing element may well be the call 
control part of an H.323 gateway, using H.450 to the other end once it has 
resolved the stimulus signalling to requests for service.  Aside from capturing 
the signalling events, Megaco allows the call processing element to control the 
flow of media between the network and the phone -- a necessary part of services 
such as call transfer and the like.

---

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 13:23:48 -0400