Subject: RE: [Megaco] New MEGACO package for distributed PoC/PTT Server

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:57:46 -0400

Note that standardized packages are handled through the ITU-T SG16.  If you
are looking to get support for this as an industry standard package, I
suggest you bring it to a Q3/16 meeting and present it as a proposal for a
new package in the H.248 subseries.
 
Note that there is a new package definition template that defines what MUST
be included.  All new packages should use this template in order to promote
uniformity of definition.  It can be found as Appendix II in the latest
draft version of H.248.1 Version 3, which is available on the public FTP
server.
 
Kevin

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 12:23 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] New MEGACO package for distributed PoC/PTT Server

Hi, 

Push To Talk over cellular (PoC/PTT) networks is supported through 
centralised Push To Talk Servers which handles both SIP signalling 
and the media (RTP) relay part. We have defined a distributed 
architecture for PoC Server implementation with PoC signalling server 
handling the SIP signalling and group management, whereas Media Server 
handles the RTP relay part and the communication between these two 
servers is over MEGACO protocol using the package defined in this 
MEGACO package draft. 

This new package definition has been submitted as IETF draft and 
 is availble at following location.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mahajan-poc-server-package-00.txt 

Would request the members of MEGACO community to review the 
contents of the package definitiion for completeness and correctness. 

This package definition will definetely help both application server vendor 
and media server vendor to develop/implement these two components for 
PoC Server implementation independent of each other with a standard 
protocol/interface defined between them. Each vendor can focus on their
expertize 
area. 

The draft is based on PoC specifications version 1 

Regards, 
Sunil Mahajan 
Chief Systems Engineer 
Hughes Software Systems

***********************  HSS- Confidential   *********************** 

"Please note:The email domain of Hughes Software Systems Ltd. has been
changed to "hssworld.com" from hss.hns.com"

"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Hughes Software Systems Limited
(HSS) and is intended 

solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain
privileged or 

confidential information and should not be circulated or used for any
purpose other than for 

what it is intended. If you have received this message in error, please
notify the originator 

immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that
you are strictly 

prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this
message. HSS 

accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the
information transmitted 

by this email including damage from virus."

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:02:12 -0400

Hmm .. I thought anyone could register a package, and if it is publicly documented 
it can be registered as a public package.  That being said, it's obviously 
desirable to coordinate package development.  And the IESG has said in the past 
that it is unwilling to have Megaco take on new package work, so anything done at 
the IESG would have to be an individual draft.

If it's too expensive for a given organization to come to SG 16, what do you 
suggest they do?

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:47:47 +0530

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your inputs.

We are definitely looking at making this an industry standard to help both 

Application Server (PoC Server) and Media Server vendors to use a 
standardized
protocol (or package definition) for distributed PoC server 
implementation.

This will also help promote MEGACO for such application implementation, 
else
vendors will implement proprietary interfaces to achieve the same.

We will approach ITU-SG16 for the standardization process, but in the mean 
time
we wanted feedback on the definition of the package from the mailing list 
and MEGACO
community.

The draft submitted to IETF follows package definition format (text) as 
specified in the published
version of protocol definition document (we also have equivalent word 
document as per 
H.248 definition) and will definitely convert it to latest specifications 
from Ericsson once
accepted by the group.

Regards,
Sunil Mahajan
Hughes Software Systems

Note that standardized packages are handled through the ITU-T SG16.  If 
you
are looking to get support for this as an industry standard package, I
suggest you bring it to a Q3/16 meeting and present it as a proposal for a
new package in the H.248 subseries.

Note that there is a new package definition template that defines what 
MUST
be included.  All new packages should use this template in order to 
promote
uniformity of definition.  It can be found as Appendix II in the latest
draft version of H.248.1 Version 3, which is available on the public FTP
server.

Kevin

_____

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf 
Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 12:23 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] New MEGACO package for distributed PoC/PTT Server

Hi,

This package definition will definetely help both application server 
vendor
and media server vendor to develop/implement these two components for
PoC Server implementation independent of each other with a standard
protocol/interface defined between them. Each vendor can focus on their
expertize
area.

Regards,
Sunil Mahajan
Chief Systems Engineer
Hughes Software Systems

***********************  HSS-Unclassified   ***********************

"Please note:The email domain of Hughes Software Systems Ltd. has been changed to "hssworld.com" from hss.hns.com"

"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Hughes Software Systems Limited (HSS) and is intended 
solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain  privileged or 
confidential information and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for 
what it is intended. If you have received this message in error, please notify the originator 
immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are strictly 
prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. HSS 
accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted 
by this email including damage from virus."