Subject: [Megaco] Questions on RTP statistics (Jitter and Delay) - 2nd try

From: Somnath Roy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:18:33 -0700

Hi,

I've couple of questions on reporting RTP statistics (mainly, Jitter and 
Delay parameters). RFC 3525 (section E.12.4) specifies that they need to 
be specified as timestamp units as in RFC 1889. From RFC 1889 (section 
4), I found that (NTP) timestamp is specified in seconds which has 
integral and decimal part (could be 32 or 64 bit).

The questions are -

1) Is my understanding correct about the timestamp unit (i.e., they need 
to be specified as seconds and not millisec) ? Note that in LCD, Jitter 
is specified in millisec.

2) No 'Type' is specified for Jitter and Delay fields in RFC 3525. Does 
that mean I can assume any - 32 or 64 bit ?

Thanks in advance,
Somnath.

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:55:13 -0400

The property in the LocalControl descriptor specifies the maximum size of
the jitter buffer -- that is, how many milliseconds worth of packets to
buffer to minimize the effects of jitter on the packet stream.  Note that
this has no effect on the measurement of jitter, which is specified to be
done in timestamp units.

Section 6.1 of the H.248.1 Version 1 Implementors' Guide specifies that the
Jitter and Delay statistics are type double with any 64 bit integer as
possible values.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Somnath Roy
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2004 12:19 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Questions on RTP statistics (Jitter and Delay) - 2nd try

Hi,

I've couple of questions on reporting RTP statistics (mainly, Jitter and
Delay parameters). RFC 3525 (section E.12.4) specifies that they need to be
specified as timestamp units as in RFC 1889. From RFC 1889 (section 4), I
found that (NTP) timestamp is specified in seconds which has integral and
decimal part (could be 32 or 64 bit).

The questions are -

1) Is my understanding correct about the timestamp unit (i.e., they need to
be specified as seconds and not millisec) ? Note that in LCD, Jitter is
specified in millisec.

2) No 'Type' is specified for Jitter and Delay fields in RFC 3525. Does that
mean I can assume any - 32 or 64 bit ?

Thanks in advance,
Somnath.