Subject: [Megaco] Descriptor not supported !!

From: "Mudit Gupta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 07:51:45 -0700

Hi

I have a doubt. Suppose, the MGC sends two descriptor to the MG in a
single modify request. One 

Descriptor is supported by the MG and the other one is not. Here, there
are two cases, when the MG

Starts to process the descriptor:

a)       In the order of processing, the first descriptor is not
supported. The doubt is whether the next descriptor will be processed.

b)       If the first one is supported and the next one is not, then the
MG will reply with Err=444. Then how the MGC will

Know which descriptor is not supported and which one supported.

Please, help me find the solution.

Regards,

Mudit

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:13:23 -0400

A) Processing halts at an error.  If the command is marked optional (O-)
then processing moves to the next command immediately.  If it is not marked
optional, then processing moves to the next transaction immediately.
Subsequent descriptors in the failed command are not processed.
B) Does it matter?  The command failed.  The MGC will have to clean up the
termination because the intended command did not work.  Remember that the
atomic construct in H.248 is the command, not the descriptor.
 
Kevin

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Mudit Gupta
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 10:52 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Descriptor not supported !!

Hi

I have a doubt. Suppose, the MGC sends two descriptor to the MG in a single
modify request. One 

Descriptor is supported by the MG and the other one is not. Here, there are
two cases, when the MG

a)       In the order of processing, the first descriptor is not supported.
The doubt is whether the next descriptor will be processed.

b)       If the first one is supported and the next one is not, then the MG
will reply with Err=444. Then how the MGC will

Regards,

Mudit

---

From: "Mudit Gupta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:49:54 -0700

Thanx Kevin

So, I have to rollback from the point failure occurs. 

e.g. I am sending a ADD command with Context = $, lets say, there are 3
descriptors Media (aln, rtp), Event and 3rd one is unsupported
descriptor. So, when the MG will process this request and come to the
3rd unsupported descriptor, it has been created context, allocated
resources for media, as now command fails, if it's supposed that the MG
should de-allocate all the resources (for media) as well as should
delete the context (should move all the termination to null context). 

My query is if this level of rollback required. Please, help me.

Regards

Mudit

________________________________

From: Kevin Boyle [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 8:43 PM
To: Mudit Gupta; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Megaco] Descriptor not supported !!

A) Processing halts at an error.  If the command is marked optional (O-)
then processing moves to the next command immediately.  If it is not
marked optional, then processing moves to the next transaction
immediately.  Subsequent descriptors in the failed command are not
processed.

B) Does it matter?  The command failed.  The MGC will have to clean up
the termination because the intended command did not work.  Remember
that the atomic construct in H.248 is the command, not the descriptor.

Kevin

________________________________

	From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Mudit Gupta
	Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 10:52 AM
	To: [email-masked]
	Subject: [Megaco] Descriptor not supported !!

	Hi

	I have a doubt. Suppose, the MGC sends two descriptor to the MG
in a single modify request. One 

	Descriptor is supported by the MG and the other one is not.
Here, there are two cases, when the MG

	b)       If the first one is supported and the next one is not,
then the MG will reply with Err=444. Then how the MGC will

	Regards,

	Mudit

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 09:22:20 -0400

If the Add failed, then the termination cannot be in the context, right?
That is pretty much the definition of a failed command.  In the example you
describe, the context will not exist, and the termination will remain in
Null.
 
Kevin

  _____  

From: Mudit Gupta [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2005 12:50 AM
To: Boyle, Kevin [NCRTP:3Z40:EXCH]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Megaco] Descriptor not supported !!

Thanx Kevin

e.g. I am sending a ADD command with Context = $, lets say, there are 3
descriptors Media (aln, rtp), Event and 3rd one is unsupported descriptor.
So, when the MG will process this request and come to the 3rd unsupported
descriptor, it has been created context, allocated resources for media, as
now command fails, if it's supposed that the MG should de-allocate all the
resources (for media) as well as should delete the context (should move all
the termination to null context). 

Regards

Mudit

  _____  

Kevin

  _____  

Hi

Regards,

Mudit