Subject: Re: [Megaco] one more question regarding emergency & priority

From: "Miri Epstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 09:34:03 -0000

Thank you very much!

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Boyle [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2008 7:10 PM
To: Miri Epstein; megaco ietf
Subject: RE: [Megaco] one more question regarding emergency & priority

That is actually a far more difficult question than it appears on the
surface.

"Emergency" calls are often regulatory in nature -- local governments
often have rules as to how those calls are to be handled, in terms of
minimum service guarantees, mandatory hold and other kinds of things.
"Priority" calls, on the other hand, are often customer driven
requirements -- military or government calls that may be given access to
reserved bandwidth or pre-emption rights depending on how the priority
handling is defined in the network.  

In most cases, access is very different.  Emergency calls are generally
accessible through dialing a particular address -- 911 in NA, or 999 in
many European countries as an example.  Priority calls, on the other
hand, require dialing an access code followed by a PIN in most
configurations.  This restricts priority access to authorized
individuals, and allows for communications that are generally
unavailable to the general populace.

Essentially, "emergency" enforces requirements while "priority" grants
privilege.  I suppose it is possible that an authorized individual could
place a priority call to an emergency services bureau, in which case the
call would be subject to the requirements of an emergency call and would
be granted the privileges of a priority call.  I don't see those two
being a one or the other proposition.  It seems to me that they would
end up being complementary.

So, the short answer to your question of whether it would be considered
an emergency or priority call would be "yes".  I believe that the call
would be both, and the relevant procedures of both would come to bear.

Please review H.248.44.  There is discussion of a number of priority
schemes and how they might relate to the Priority Attribute in H.248.
It provides detail that may be of help.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Miri Epstein [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2008 11:05 AM
To: Boyle, Kevin (NCRTP:0Q10); megaco ietf
Subject: RE: [Megaco] one more question regarding emergency & priority

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your response.

Assuming the mechanisms for handling priority and emergency calls in the
network are often different.
Is it possible that a call be assigned both as an emergency call and a
priority call (as shown in the example of my previous email)? 
If the answer is yes, how the call is handled? Is it considered an
emergency call or a priority call? 

Thanks,
Miri

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Boyle [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2008 12:31 AM
To: Miri Epstein; megaco ietf
Subject: RE: [Megaco] one more question regarding emergency & priority

Emergency and priority are independent elements, despite the tendency of
many to build some equating relationship between the two.  For instance,
I may have a priority call that is not an emergency call.  And not all
jurisdictions may equate an emergency call with a priority call.  While
handling an emergency call is certainly urgent, the mechanisms for
handling priority and emergency calls in the network are often
different.

There is some analysis done and recommendations made in H.248.44.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Miri Epstein
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 8:16 AM
To: megaco ietf
Subject: [Megaco] one more question regarding emergency & priority

Hi,

According to the ABNF, it's possible to set both emergency and priority
context attributes in an action request.

For example:

Transaction = 202 {
    Context = 5 { 
       Emergency,
       Priority = 4,
        Modify = ip/10/if3/2 {
        ...

What is the meaning of such a command? Is it only semantically
permitted, but not practically used? Am I missing something?

Many thanks,
Miri

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco
_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco