Subject: [Mentoring-coordinators] Announcements about mentoring program

From: "Alissa Cooper (alcoop)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 15:49:45 +0000

Jari, Alexa,

It's about that time again when it would be good to push announcements out
to ietf-announce to solicit mentors and mentoring participants for the
mentoring program at IETF 89. I've included below updated versions of both
emails from the last time around. Would it be possible to send these out
some time soon?

Thanks,
Alissa

----

Solicitation for mentoring participants:

All,

At IETF 89 we will once again offer the IETF Mentoring Program. The goal
of the IETF Mentoring Program is to match IETF participants who may be new
or otherwise in need of guidance with experienced IETF mentors. As a
mentoring participant, your mentor will personally introduce you to the
IETF community, help you find your way around the IETF & the meeting,
explain things, and introduce you to other attendees you might like to
meet. Basically, your mentor will be your personal buddy during the
meeting week, and possibly afterwards.

Unlike in the past, at IETF 89 we will accept requests for mentors from
anyone who wants one, regardless of how many meetings they have attended
previously. We cannot guarantee that every request will be honored, but we
will do our best.

If you wish to participate in the IETF Mentoring Program, you can follow
the sign-up procedures described in the program FAQ:

https://www.ietf.org/resources/mentoring-program.html

After you follow the sign-up procedure, we will introduce you to your
mentor by email prior to IETF 89, and invite you to meet up in person at
the IETF Meet & Greet event on Sunday afternoon in London. From there on,
you and your mentor decide on when and where to meet during the rest of
the week and afterwards.

You are of course free to withdraw from the program at any time and for
any reason, no questions asked, should a need arise. But I sincerely
believe the IETF Mentoring Program will be a great way for new
participants to get introduced to the IETF by an experienced participant
with matching interest.

Regards,
Jari Arkko
IETF Chair

Solicitation for mentors:

Hi all,

In London we will once again be running the IETF Mentoring Program. We
will be pairing IETF participants who are new or otherwise in need of
guidance with existing IETF participants. Unlike at previous meetings,
anyone will be able to sign up for a mentor regardless of how many
meetings they have attended. The goal is to provide a resource for
participants that can assist them with integrating into the IETF
community.  Mentors and newcomers will be paired prior to IETF 89.

We're seeking IETF participants to volunteer to be mentors. As a mentor,
we would ask that you be willing to assist your mentoring participant
before, during, and (hopefully) after IETF 89.  The actual level of
interaction will be driven by an agreement between the mentor and the
mentoring participant. Additionally, we would need a brief description of
your areas of expertise, technical interests, and conversational languages.

  A description of the Mentor Program (including a FAQ describing
how to volunteer to be a mentor) is available:

http://www.ietf.org/resources/mentoring-program.html.

  Anyone interested in being a mentor who has not previously signed up
should follow the sign-up instructions contained in the above URL. If you
have previously signed up as a mentor, you do not need to sign up and you
should have received an email requesting that you confirm whether you will
be available to mentor in London.
  
Please consider volunteering. The more volunteers we have, the stronger
the program will be!

Regards,
IETF Chair

---

From: Alexa Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 08:12:24 -0800

Alissa,

Yes, I can take care of this today.

Alexa

> Please consider volunteering. The more volunteers we have, the stronger

----------
Alexa Morris / Executive Director / IETF
48377 Fremont Blvd., Suite 117, Fremont, CA  94538
Phone: +1.510.492.4089 / Fax: +1.510.492.4001
Email: [email-masked]

Managed by Association Management Solutions (AMS)
Forum Management, Meeting and Event Planning
www.amsl.com <http://www.amsl.com/>

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 20:20:56 +0200

Yes - and the mail looks good. As far as I am concerned it can go out as such. 

Note: I occasionally feel a bit silly with my name on various things that I personally did not really have much to do with. I think it would also be OK for, say, you Alissa sending this as yourself (assuming Alexa can get your e-mail to go out on ietf-announce etc). Make more people visible to the IETF community, etc. But I'm leaving this up to you.

Jari

---

From: "Alissa Cooper (alcoop)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 18:27:16 +0000

The one for mentees went out under your name, so the other one might as
well do that too. We can switch it up next time.

On 1/28/14 10:20 AM, "Jari Arkko" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Note: I occasionally feel a bit silly with my name on various things that
>I personally did not really have much to do with. I think it would also
>be OK for, say, you Alissa sending this as yourself (assuming Alexa can
>get your e-mail to go out on ietf-announce etc). Make more people visible
>to the IETF community, etc. But I'm leaving this up to you.
>
>Jari
>