Subject: [Mentoring-coordinators] IETF Guide for Layal Jebran

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2018 08:42:17 +0100

Dear Layal and Stephen,

Welcome to the guides programme! In this programme we aim to
facilitate knowledge transfer between experienced IETF-ers and new
participants in the community. The IETF is not your typical
organization so some help along the way might help you make your
landing a bit smoother, so you will stay with us longer!

It is my pleasure to introduce you to each other. Stephen has kindly
offered to be Layal's guide for IETF103. Layal has expressed a specific
interest in DDoS Open Threat Signaling, IP Security Maintenance and
Extensions, IPv6 Maintenance, DNS PRIVate Exchange, Domain Name System
Operations, .

The IETF guides programs aims to have three parts:

0. Introduction conversations before the meeting
1. Face to face meeting at the beginning of the meeting
2. Check-in during the week.

It would be great if you could meet early in the week and discuss
questions, interests, and 'how-to-get-things-done' in the IETF,
and perhaps have a follow-up during the week to check-in whether
there are any questions.  Hopefully you'll both have the chance
to attend the newcomer's meet-and-greet on Sunday at 16:00.

You both have the responsibility to make meetings between you happen,
but it would be great if the guide would take the lead in setting up
the first meeting.

As mentee it would help if you follow your interests within the IETF:
Ask the guide what you think you need to make the meeting a
success. The guide is there to help you, but the guide likely also
knows many things that "you don't know you need to know"!

Good topics of conversation include the IETF toolchain, the meeting
agenda, the IETF app, how to use jabber rooms, the IETF document
datatracker (where all Internet Drafts, Working Group and Research
Group agenda's and RFCs can be found), and more! Much of this info can
also be found in the Tao of the IETF at https://ietf.org/tao .
Additionally, we have prepared the following list of conversation
topics that past participants have found useful to discuss:
https://www.isi.edu/~hardaker/ietf/topics.html

Specific questions about your favorite topics of interest are wise to
discuss such as: relevant working groups or research groups, relevant
authors, working group chairs and area directors.  You might want to
discuss trending issues in the upcoming meetings (also check the ISOC
"rough guides" in the IETF journal)

Please let us if there is any way in which we can support your
interactions.  Please mail any questions you have to
[email-masked].

Best,

Niels and Wes
-- 
Niels ten Oever
Researcher and PhD Candidate
Datactive Research Group
University of Amsterdam

PGP fingerprint	   2458 0B70 5C4A FD8A 9488
                   643A 0ED8 3F3A 468A C8B3

---

From: Layal Jebran <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2018 08:01:59 +0000

Thank You Niels for connecting us.

Hello Stephen,

Let me know when you can meet up before Sunday, I just arrived to Bangkok and should have time available to have a meetup.

I look forward to your reply.

Best,

Layal G. Jebran

Regional Community Manager, Middle East
Internet Society

Mobile: +961 3 933 234 | Skype: layaljebran

On Nov 2, 2018, at 14:42, Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Dear Layal and Stephen,

Please let us if there is any way in which we can support your
interactions.  Please mail any questions you have to
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>.

Best,

Niels and Wes

---

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2018 09:10:26 +0100

Hi Layal,

I just saw Wes already connected you to another Guide. Can you meet with
the guide assigned to your by Wes (namely Paul), so we can assign
Stephen to somebody else.

Sorry for the confusion, and please let us know if you have any questions.

Best,

Niels and Wes

On 11/02/2018 09:01 AM, Layal Jebran wrote:
> Let me know when you can meet up before Sunday, I just arrived to
> Bangkok and should have time available to have a meetup.
> 
> *Regional Community Manager, Middle East
> Internet Society*
> 
>> <https://www.isi.edu/%7Ehardaker/ietf/topics.html>
>>
>> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Niels and Wes
>> -- 
>> Niels ten Oever
> _______________________________________________
> mentoring-coordinators mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mentoring-coordinators
>

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2018 09:14:18 +0000

Hiya,

> Stephen to somebody else.

I'm happy enough to meet Layal anyway as a bonus
guide:-)

I'm travelling today, will be in Bangkok tomorrow, and
will mostly be hanging about the hackathon Sunday.

Cheers,
S.

---

From: Layal Jebran <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2018 13:10:57 +0000

Amazing, I’ll meet everyone then.

Thank You Niels for the update.

> On Nov 2, 2018, at 11:14, Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
> Hiya,
> 
>>> Mobile: +961 3 933 234 |Â Skype: layaljebran
>>> 
>>>> there are any questions. Â Hopefully you'll both have the chance
>>>> authors, working group chairs and area directors. Â You might want to
>>>> interactions. Â Please mail any questions you have to
>>>> PGP fingerprint Â  Â  Â Â 2458 0B70 5C4A FD8A 9488
>>>> Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 643A 0ED8 3F3A 468A C8B3
>>> 
>>> 
> <0x5AB2FAF17B172BEA.asc>