Subject: [MIB-DOCTORS] FW: IANA-maintained MIB copyright question

From: "Romascanu, Dan \(Dan\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 03:20:20 +0200

See this query sent by Bill Fenner to the ipr list. 

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Fenner [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2007 2:56 AM
To: IPR WG
Subject: IANA-maintained MIB copyright question

Hi,

  RFC 3978 specifies an additional copyright notice for IANA-maintained
MIB modules:

         "Copyright (C) The Internet Society <year>.  The initial
         version of this MIB module was published in RFC XXXX; for full
         legal notices see the RFC itself.  Supplementary information
         may be available at:
         http://www.ietf.org/copyrights/ianamib.html."

The ianamib.html document hasn't been updated since it was created in
2003, but when pondering how to update it I had a few questions:

1. Can it have a date in it?  You can't claim a 2007 copyright on
something that you haven't updated since 2003 (right?) and you can't
claim a 2003 copyright on something that didn't exist in 2003 (right?)
so neither 2003 nor 2007 can be correct.

2. Should it be updated to mention the IETF Trust?

3. What is the basis for this grant of rights?  It's my understanding
that the ipr wg has consensus that the IETF Trust copyright statement
applies to the boilerplate only.  The IANA-maintained MIB modules have
no boilerplate, only the MIB module itself.  Is there any hook on which
to hang the Internet Society/IETF Trust's grant of rights?

Thanks,
  Bill

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

_______________________________________________
MIB-DOCTORS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mib-doctors