Subject: [MIB-DOCTORS] netconf / snmp informal meeting in Prague

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 18:25:33 +0100

Andy Bierman suggested that we gather in Prague with the best experts in
NETCONF/NETMOD and SNMP. 

His initial problem statement included (and he may want to add or
correct, but I am using words from two of his mails):

--------------
I want to make standards and implementation progress on retrieving MIB
data through NETCONF, and exploring other integration points, such as
locking.  IMO we should finish up the draft, and get the details
finalized.  I am also interested in getting yuma to use the output of
smidump to implement MIB.yang modules that are compatible with net-snmp.

But I think it helps move us forward if we can show our standards
working in running open-source code.  Reverse-engineering the standard
from the tool helps get that done :-)

My concern is that we are approaching the entire problem space in a
fragmented and disjoint manner.  That's the nature of lots of WGs and
work items within those WGs.

We are kind of ignoring the multi-protocol architecture.
A standard plan for if/how SNMP, SYSLOG, NETCONF, CLI/SSH, SMIv2, and
YANG all work together to allow application developers to get the most
'bang for the buck' out of these IETF + industry standards.

I really like how the COaP plan of implementing open-source along with
the documents.  That really helped YANG. We should do that for more
drafts.

The SNMP integration is important to me.
NETCONF is not going to reinvent device instrumentation.
It will be a convergence point to access CLI show command data, SNMP
data, and some new data.

The smidump -fyang output is critical to ease of this integration.
I hope an open-source yuma + net-snmp implementation will help work out
the operational problems.  (IMO, just read+notify at first).

-----------------

The plan is to get together on Sunday night and go out for dinner after
the Welcome Reception. To avoid the noise in restaurant I would like to
get a count of people participating and try to book a restaurant with a
separate room. So please RSVP to me if you plan to attend. I thought MIB
Doctors and YANG Doctors lists are a good starting point, but in case
somebody is missing please forward. 

Thanks and Regards, 

Dan

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 10:19:41 -0800

Hi,

I realize that many people are not interested in working
on integration of SNMP data into NETCONF, or NETCONF/SNMP
coexistence.  But maybe social integration leads to better
problem-space understanding and better standards.  The immediate goal for
mib-doctors is to understand (and hopefully like) the SMIv2-to-YANG draft that
Juergen is going to finish soon.

Andy

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Romascanu, Dan (Dan)
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:26 AM
To: [email-masked]; YANG Doctors
Subject: [yang-doctors] netconf / snmp informal meeting in Prague

--------------

-----------------

Thanks and Regards, 

Dan
_______________________________________________
yang-doctors mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/yang-doctors