Subject: Re: [MIB-DOCTORS] Question to the MIB doctors regarding MIB registries at IANA

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 18:54:45 +0100

On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 09:23:05AM -0800, Michelle Cotton wrote:
> Hello Juergen,
> 
> Thank you very much for your response.
> 
> The XML pages do *not* require JavaScript to be meaningfully rendered.
> We only make accessory use of JavaScript for sorting the tables when you
> click on the sort button next to the column header.
> 
> If you could further clarify your concern, we may be able to provide more
> information.

I stand corrected. A plain text browser like w3m will show me the XML
content which is good. I was confused because my firefox shows all the
text contained in the XML elements (and nothing else) while JavaScript
was disabled. Once I enable www.viagenie.ca in my "NoScript" filter,
things render nicely. So I guess I just have an odd browser setup.

/js

PS: If you want to followup, we should take this off the list since
    this does not seem at all a MIB doctor topic.

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Michelle Cotton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 09:23:05 -0800

Hello Juergen,

--Michelle

On 2/19/12 3:05 AM, "Juergen Schoenwaelder"
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 11:24:27AM -0800, Michelle Cotton wrote:
>> Hello MIB Doctors,
>> 
>> As you may or may not be aware, we are almost finished with converting
>>the IANA registries to using xml as the source.
>> There are approximately 14 maintained MIBs on the IANA protocols page.
>>We understand these files need to be kept in a text format to retain
>>their functionality.
>> What we are proposing is the following:
>> 
>> Using the IANA Finisher MIB as an exampleŠ.
>> 
>> At the Protocols page, http://www.iana.org/protocols, when you click on
>>IANA Finisher MIB, you will go to a page that looks like this:
>> 
>> http://www.viagenie.ca/ianaxml/ianafinisher-mib/ianafinisher-mib.xml
>> (Viagenie is assisting us with some of the conversionsŠthis is why this
>>mock-up is located on their website)
>> 
>> You will see at the bottom there is an attached file which contains the
>>simple MIB, just as it appears currently on the IANA website.
>> Will this new format work for everyone?  Are there any questions or
>>concerns?
>
>There is a general concern that the XML pages require Java script
>support to be meaningfully rendered - but that is a meta issue and I
>might be in the majority of people who is running tools that do not
>run Java script.
> 
>> I hope that this will satisfy both our goal of converting the
>>registries to XML as the source and keeping the functionality of the
>>MIBs.
>
>What matters most is that the MIB files are available and that the
>location where they can be fetched is stable. (Ideally does not even
>change from where they are now - but if you change them, try to find a
>location that can stay stable.)
>
>/js
>
>--

---

From: Michelle Cotton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 11:37:02 -0800

Thank you....I have not seen any other comments from the mib-doctor
members...
We'll move forward with this work and keep you posted.

Thank you,

Michelle