Subject: [MIB-DOCTORS] MIB Doctor Review of draft-ietf-eman-energy-monitoring-mib

From: Thomas Nadeau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 17:39:01 -0500

I reviewed this draft as part of the MIB Doctor review on Thursday, January 23, 2014.
My comments inline begin with TOM:

   General Comments on the draft:

   1) There are a number of id-nits warnings and one major error that will cause it to not pass:

      ** Obsolete normative reference: RFC 4133 (Obsoleted by RFC 6933) 

   2) In general, please go through the MIB modules and verify that the Integer32 values are indeed ok to be negative values or change them to Unsigned. For example, there are many instances where you used Integer32 for things like watts or amps where negative values do not make sense, to me at least. 

   3)  There are a number of warnings in the smilint run. Please check and correct these. 

IANA-POWERSTATE-SET-MIB:

[server:libsmi-0.4.8/mibs/ietf] tnadeau% smilint -l 6 -i namelength-32 ./SNMPv2-TC ./SNMPv2-SMI ./SNMPv2-CONF ./SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB ./INET-ADDRESS-MIB ./ENTITY-MIB ./UUID-TC-MIB ./IANA-ENERGY-RELATION-MIB ./IANA-POWERSTATE-SET-MIB
./SNMPv2-SMI:1: [5] {module-already-loaded} warning: module `SNMPv2-SMI' is already loaded, aborting parser on this file
./SNMPv2-CONF:4: [2] {import-failed} identifier `ObjectSyntax' cannot be imported from module `SNMPv2-SMI'
./SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB:275: [5] {integer-misuse} warning: use Integer32 instead of INTEGER in SMIv2
./SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB:349: [5] {integer-misuse} warning: use Integer32 instead of INTEGER in SMIv2
./SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB:458: [5] {identifier-case-match} warning: identifier `snmpEngineID' differs from `SnmpEngineID' only in case
./SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB:91: [6] {previous-definition} info: previous definition of `SnmpEngineID'
./SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB:471: [5] {integer-misuse} warning: use Integer32 instead of INTEGER in SMIv2
./SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB:481: [5] {integer-misuse} warning: use Integer32 instead of INTEGER in SMIv2
./SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB:496: [5] {integer-misuse} warning: use Integer32 instead of INTEGER in SMIv2
./IANA-ENERGY-RELATION-MIB:38: [1] {object-identifier-unknown} unknown object identifier label `energyMIB'
./IANA-ENERGY-RELATION-MIB:3: [5] {import-unused} warning: identifier `mib-2' imported from module `SNMPv2-SMI' is never used
./IANA-POWERSTATE-SET-MIB:39: [1] {object-identifier-unknown} unknown object identifier label `energyMIB'
./IANA-POWERSTATE-SET-MIB:4: [5] {import-unused} warning: identifier `mib-2' imported from module `SNMPv2-SMI' is never used

ENERGY-OBJECT-MIB:

[server:libsmi-0.4.8/mibs/ietf] tnadeau% smilint -l 6 -i namelength-32 ./SNMPv2-TC ./SNMPv2-SMI ./SNMPv2-CONF ./SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB ./INET-ADDRESS-MIB ./ENTITY-MIB ./UUID-TC-MIB ./IANA-ENERGY-RELATION-MIB ./IANA-POWERSTATE-SET-MIB ./ENERGY-OBJECT-MIB
./SNMPv2-SMI:1: [5] {module-already-loaded} warning: module `SNMPv2-SMI' is already loaded, aborting parser on this file
./SNMPv2-CONF:4: [2] {import-failed} identifier `ObjectSyntax' cannot be imported from module `SNMPv2-SMI'
./SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB:275: [5] {integer-misuse} warning: use Integer32 instead of INTEGER in SMIv2
./SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB:349: [5] {integer-misuse} warning: use Integer32 instead of INTEGER in SMIv2
./SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB:458: [5] {identifier-case-match} warning: identifier `snmpEngineID' differs from `SnmpEngineID' only in case
./SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB:91: [6] {previous-definition} info: previous definition of `SnmpEngineID'
./SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB:471: [5] {integer-misuse} warning: use Integer32 instead of INTEGER in SMIv2
./SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB:481: [5] {integer-misuse} warning: use Integer32 instead of INTEGER in SMIv2
./SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB:496: [5] {integer-misuse} warning: use Integer32 instead of INTEGER in SMIv2
./IANA-ENERGY-RELATION-MIB:38: [1] {object-identifier-unknown} unknown object identifier label `energyMIB'
./IANA-ENERGY-RELATION-MIB:3: [5] {import-unused} warning: identifier `mib-2' imported from module `SNMPv2-SMI' is never used
./IANA-POWERSTATE-SET-MIB:39: [1] {object-identifier-unknown} unknown object identifier label `energyMIB'
./IANA-POWERSTATE-SET-MIB:4: [5] {import-unused} warning: identifier `mib-2' imported from module `SNMPv2-SMI' is never used
./ENERGY-OBJECT-MIB:111: [1] {object-identifier-unknown} unknown object identifier label `energyMIB'
./ENERGY-OBJECT-MIB:620: [5] {index-element-accessible} warning: index element `eoEnergyParametersIndex' of row `eoEnergyParametersEntry' should be not-accessible in SMIv2 MIB
./ENERGY-OBJECT-MIB:7: [5] {import-unused} warning: identifier `mib-2' imported from module `SNMPv2-SMI' is never used
./ENERGY-OBJECT-MIB:10: [5] {import-unused} warning: identifier `DisplayString' imported from module `SNMPv2-TC' is never used
[server:libsmi-0.4.8/mibs/ietf] tnadeau% 

POWER-ATTRIBTUES-MIB:

/ENERGY-OBJECT-MIB:111: [1] {object-identifier-unknown} unknown object identifier label `energyMIB'
./ENERGY-OBJECT-MIB:620: [5] {index-element-accessible} warning: index element `eoEnergyParametersIndex' of row `eoEnergyParametersEntry' should be not-accessible in SMIv2 MIB
./ENERGY-OBJECT-MIB:7: [5] {import-unused} warning: identifier `mib-2' imported from module `SNMPv2-SMI' is never used
./ENERGY-OBJECT-MIB:10: [5] {import-unused} warning: identifier `DisplayString' imported from module `SNMPv2-TC' is never used
./POWER-ATTRIBTUES-MIB:111: [1] {object-identifier-unknown} unknown object identifier label `energyMIB'
./POWER-ATTRIBTUES-MIB:6: [5] {import-unused} warning: identifier `mib-2' imported from module `SNMPv2-SMI' is never used
./POWER-ATTRIBTUES-MIB:14: [5] {import-unused} warning: identifier `OwnerString' imported from module `RMON-MIB' is never used
[server:libsmi-0.4.8/mibs/ietf] tnadeau% 

	2) The modules still assume they are under the energyMIB common OID; please add notes to the RFC editor/IANA for the proper assignment.

     Network Working Group                            M. Chandramouli 
                                                            B. Claise 
     Internet-Draft                               Cisco Systems, Inc. 
     Intended Status: Standards Track                    B. Schoening 
     Expires: June 13, 2014                    Independent Consultant 
                                                           J. Quittek 
                                                             T. Dietz 
                                                      NEC Europe Ltd. 
                                                    December 13, 2013 

                        Power and Energy Monitoring MIB 
                    draft-ietf-eman-energy-monitoring-mib-08 

     Status of this Memo 

        This Internet-Draft is submitted to IETF in full conformance 
        with the provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.   
           
        Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet 
        Engineering Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working 
        groups.  Note that other groups may also distribute working 
        documents as Internet-Drafts.  
         
        Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six 
        months and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other 
        documents at any time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-
        Drafts as reference material or to cite them other than as  
        "work in progress."  
         
        The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at 
        http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt  
         
        The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed  
        at http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html  
      
        This Internet-Draft will expire on June 2014.                     

     <Claise, et. Al>        Expires June 13, 2014            [Page 1] 
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 

     Copyright Notice 
      
        Copyright (c) 2013 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the 
        document authors.  All rights reserved. 
         
        This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal 
        Provisions Relating to IETF Documents 
        (http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of 
        publication of this document.  Please review these documents 
        carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with 
        respect to this document.  Code Components extracted from this 
        document must include Simplified BSD License text as described 
        in Section 4.e of the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided 
        without warranty as described in the Simplified BSD License. 

     Abstract 

        This document defines a subset of the Management Information 
        Base (MIB) for power and energy monitoring of devices.  
         
     Conventions used in this document 

        The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL 
        NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "NOT RECOMMENDED" 
        "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this document are to be interpreted as 
        described in RFC 2119 [RFC2119]. 

        Table of Contents 
         
        1. Introduction............................................. 3 
        2. The Internet-Standard Management Framework............... 4 
        3. Use Cases................................................ 4 
        4. Terminology.............................................. 4 
        5. Architecture Concepts Applied to the MIB Modules......... 5 
        5.1. Energy Object Information............................. 12 
        5.2. Power State........................................... 13 
              5.2.1. Power State Set................................14 
        5.3. Energy Object Usage Information....................... 14 
        5.4. Optional Power Usage Attributes....................... 15 
        5.5. Optional Energy Measurement........................... 15 
        5.6. Fault Management...................................... 19 
        6. Discovery............................................... 20 
        7. Link with the other IETF MIBs........................... 21 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014           [Page 2] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
           7.1. Link with the ENTITY-MIB and the ENTITY-SENSOR MIB..21 
           7.2. Link with the ENTITY-STATE MIB......................22 
           7.3. Link with the POWER-OVER-ETHERNET MIB...............22 
           7.4. Link with the UPS MIB...............................23 
           7.5. Link with the LLDP and LLDP-MED MIBs................24 
        8. Implementation Scenario................................. 25 
        9. Structure of the MIB.................................... 27 
        10. MIB Definitions........................................ 28 
        11. Implementation Status.................................. 69 
        11.1. SNMP Research........................................ 70 
        11.2. Cisco Systems........................................ 70 
        12. Security Considerations................................ 71 
        13. IANA Considerations.................................... 72 
        14. Contributors........................................... 73 
        12. Acknowledgment......................................... 73 
        13. References............................................. 74 
           13.1. Normative References...............................74 
           13.2. Informative References.............................75 

         
     1. Introduction 

        This document defines a subset of the Management Information 
        Base (MIB) for use in energy management of devices within or 
        connected to communication networks.  The MIB modules in this 
        document are designed to provide a model for energy management, 
        which includes monitoring for Power State and energy consumption 
        of networked elements.  This MIB takes into account the Energy 
        Management Framework [EMAN-FMWK], which in turn, is based on the 
        Requirements for Energy Management [RFC6988]. 
         
        Energy management is applicable to devices in communication 
        networks. Target devices for this specification include (but are 
        not limited to): routers, switches, Power over Ethernet (PoE) 
        endpoints, protocol gateways for building management systems, 
        intelligent meters, home energy gateways, hosts and servers, 
        sensor proxies, etc. Target devices and the use cases for Energy 
        Management are discussed in Energy Management Applicability 
        Statement [EMAN-AS]. 
         
        Where applicable, device monitoring extends to the individual 
        components of the device and to any attached dependent devices. 
        For example: A device can contain components that are 
        independent from a power-state point of view, such as line 
        cards, processor cards, hard drives.  A device can also have 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014           [Page 3] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
        dependent attached devices, such as a switch with PoE endpoints 
        or a power distribution unit with attached endpoints. 

     2. The Internet-Standard Management Framework 

        For a detailed overview of the documents that describe the 
        current Internet-Standard Management Framework, please refer to 
        section 7 of RFC 3410 [RFC3410]. 

TOM: Generally speaking, I prefer to just include [RFC3410] here. Repeating it is...well, redundant.
         
        Managed objects are accessed via a virtual information store, 
        termed the Management Information Base or MIB. MIB objects are 
        generally accessed through the Simple Network Management 
        Protocol (SNMP).  Objects in the MIB are defined using the 
        mechanisms defined in the Structure of Management Information 
        (SMI).  This memo specifies MIB modules that are compliant to 
        SMIv2, which is described in STD 58, RFC 2578 [RFC2578], STD 58, 
        RFC 2579 [RFC2579] and STD 58, RFC 2580 [RFC2580]. 

     3. Use Cases 

        Requirements for power and energy monitoring for networking 
        devices are specified in [RFC6988].  The requirements in 
        [RFC6988] cover devices typically found in communications 
        networks, such as switches, routers, and various connected 
        endpoints.  For a power monitoring architecture to be useful, it 
        should also apply to facility meters, power distribution units, 
        gateway proxies for commercial building control, home automation 
        devices, and devices that interface with the utility and/or 
        smart grid.  Accordingly, the scope of the MIB modules in this 
        document is broader than that specified in [RFC6988]. Several 
        use cases for Energy Management have been identified in the 
        "Energy Management (EMAN) Applicability Statement" [EMAN-AS]. An 
        illustrative example scenario is presented in Section 8.  

     4. Terminology 

TOM: Rather than just repeating the terms here, where you typically show their definition, I suggest just refering to the framework and cutting the section down unless something is newly defined here.

       Please refer to [EMAN-FMWK] for the definitions of the 
       following terminology used in this draft.   
                 
                Energy Management  
                           
                Energy Management System (EnMS)  

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014           [Page 4] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
                Energy Monitoring  
                          
                Energy Control  
                 
                electrical equipment  
                            
                non-electrical equipment (mechanical equipment)  
                  
                device  
                        
                component  
         
                power inlet   
                 
                power outlet   
                              
                energy   
                            
                power  
                              
                demand   
         
                provide energy  
         
                receive energy  
                           
                meter (energy meter)  
         
                battery  
                  
                Power Interface   
                   
                Nameplate Power  
              
                Power Attributes  
                           
                Power Quality   
                            
                Power State  
                
                Power State Set  

     5. Architecture Concepts Applied to the MIB Modules 

        This section describes the concepts specified in the Energy 
        Management Framework [EMAN-FMWK] that pertain to power usage, 
        with specific information related to the MIB module specified in 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014           [Page 5] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
        this document.  This subsection maps to the different concepts 
        developed in the Energy Management Framework [EMAN-FMWK]. 
         
        The Energy Monitoring MIB has 2 independent MIB modules ENERGY-
        OBJECT-MIB and POWER-ATTRIBUTES-MIB. The first MIB module 
        ENERGY-OBJECT-MIB is focused on measurement of power and energy. 
        The second MIB module POWER-ATTRIBUTES-MIB is focused on Power 
        Attributes measurements for Energy Objects. 
         
        Devices and their sub-components can be modeled using the 
        containment tree of the ENTITY-MIB [RFC6933]. In addition, 
        ENERGY-OBJECT-CONTEXT-MIB MIB module [EMAN-AWARE-MIB] provides a 
        framework for modeling the relationship between Energy Objects. 
        It is conceivable to have implementations of ENERGY-OBJECT-
        CONTEXT-MIB and ENERGY-OBJECT-MIB for modeling the relationships 
        between Energy Objects and also monitoring the Energy 
        consumption of those Energy Objects.  In some situations, it is 
        possible to have implementation of ENERGY-OBJECT-MIB along 
        ENTITY-MIB V4 [RFC6933] with the Module compliance of 
        entity4CRCompliance.  This compliance requires that the 
        following 3 MIB objects from ENTITY-MIB [RFC6933] 
        (entPhysicalIndex, entPhysicalName and entPhysicalUUID) MUST be 
        implemented. 
         
        The ENERGY-OBJECT-MIB MIB module consists of five tables.   

        The first table is the eoMeterCapabilitiesTable.  It indicates 
        the instrumentation available for each Energy Object.  Thus, the 
        entries in this table indicate to the EnMS which other tables 
        from the ENERGY-OBJECT-MIB and POWER-ATTRIBUTES-MIB are 
        available for each Energy Object.  The eoMeterCapabilitiesTable 
        is indexed by entPhysicalIndex [RFC6933]. 
         
        The second table is the eoPowerTable.  It returns the power 
        consumption of each Energy Object, as well as the units, sign, 
        measurement accuracy, and related objects.  The eoPowerTable is 
        indexed by entPhysicalIndex. 
         
        The third table is the eoPowerStateTable.  For each Energy 
        Object, it provides information and statistics about the 
        supported Power States.  The eoPowerStateTable is indexed by 
        entPhysicalIndex and eoPowerStateIndex. 
         
        The fourth table is the eoEnergyParametersTable.  The entries in 
        this table configure the parameters of energy and demand 
        measurement collection.  This table is indexed by 
        eoEnergyParametersIndex.  

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014           [Page 6] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
        The fifth table is the eoEnergyTable.  The entries in this table 
        provide the log the energy and demand information.  This table 
        is indexed by eoEnergyParametersIndex. 

         eoMeterCapabilitiesTable(1) 
          | 
          +---eoMeterCapabilitiesEntry(1)[entPhysicalIndex]   
          |   | 
          |   +---r-n  BITS             eoMeterCapability 
          |     
                
         eoPowerTable(2) 
          | 
          +---eoPowerEntry(1) [entPhysicalIndex] 
          |   |  
          |   +---r-n Integer32         eoPower(1) 
          |   +-- r-n Integer32         eoPowerNamePlate(2) 
          |   +-- r-n UnitMultiplier    eoPowerUnitMultiplier(3) 
          |   +-- r-n Integer32         eoPowerAccuracy(4) 
          |   +-- r-n INTEGER           eoMeasurementCaliber(5) 
          |   +-- r-n INTEGER           eoPowerCurrentType(6) 
          |   +-- r-n INTEGER           eoPowerOrigin(7) 
          |   +-- rwn IANAPowerStateSet eoPowerAdminState(8) 
          |   +-- r-n IANAPowerStateSet eoPowerOperState(9) 
          |   +-- r-n OwnerString       eoPowerStateEnterReason(10) 
          |    
          |    
          +---eoPowerStateTable(3) 
          |      +--eoPowerStateEntry(1) 
          |      |     [entPhysicalIndex, eoPowerStateIndex]  
          |      | 
          |      +-- --n IANAPowerStateSet eoPowerStateIndex(1) 
          |      +-- r-n Interger32        eoPowerStateMaxPower(2) 
          |      +-- r-n UnitMultiplier  
          |                      eoPowerStatePowerUnitMultiplier(3) 
          |      +-- r-n TimeTicks         eoPowerStateTotalTime(4) 
          |      +-- r-n Counter32         eoPowerStateEnterCount(5) 
          | 
      
          +eoEnergyParametersTable(4) 
          +---eoEnergyParametersEntry(1) [eoEnergyParametersIndex] 
          |    
          |   +-- --n PhysicalIndex       eoEnergyObjectIndex(1) 
          |   +   r-n Integer32           eoEnergyParametersIndex(2)   
          |   +-- r-n TimeInterval eoEnergyParametersIntervalLength(3) 
          |   +-- r-n Integer32    eoEnergyParametersIntervalNumber(4) 
          |   +-- r-n Integer32    eoEnergyParametersIntervalMode(5) 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014           [Page 7] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
          |   +-- r-n TimeInterval eoEnergyParametersIntervalWindow(6) 
          |   +-- r-n Integer32    eoEnergyParametersSampleRate(7) 
          |   +-- r-n RowStatus          eoEnergyParametersStatus(8) 
          |       
          +eoEnergyTable(5) 
          +---eoEnergyEntry(1)  
          |    [eoEnergyParametersIndex,eoEnergyCollectionStartTime] 
          |      
          |   +-- r-n TimeTicks      eoEnergyCollectionStartTime(1) 
          |   +-- r-n Integer32      eoEnergyConsumed(2) 
          |   +-- r-n Integer32      eoEnergyProvided(3)   
          |   +-- r-n Integer32      eoEnergyStored(4) 
          |   +-- r-n UnitMultiplier eoEnergyUnitMultiplier(5) 
          |   +-- r-n Integer32      eoEnergyAccuracy(6) 
          |   +-- r-n Integer32      eoEnergyMaxConsumed(7) 
          |   +-- r-n Integer32      eoEnergyMaxProduced(8) 
          |   +-- r-n TimeTicks      eoEnergyDiscontinuityTime(9) 

        The powerAttributesMIB consists of four tables. 
        eoACPwrAttributesTable is indexed by  entPhysicalIndex. 
        eoACPwrAttributesPhaseTable is indexed by entPhysicalIndex and 
        eoPhaseIndex. eoACPwrAttributesWyePhaseTable and 
        eoACPwrAttributesDelPhaseTable are indexed by entPhysicalIndex 
        and eoPhaseIndex. 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesTable(1) 
          | 
          +---eoACPwrAttributesEntry(1) [ entPhysicalIndex] 
          |   | 
          |   +---r-n INTEGER    eoACPwrAttributesConfiguration(1) 
          |   +-- r-n Interger32 eoACPwrAttributesAvgVoltage(2) 
          |   +-- r-n Integer32  eoACPwrAttributesAvgCurrent(3) 
          |   +-- r-n Integer32  eoACPwrAttributesFrequency(4) 
          |   +-- r-n UnitMultiplier  
          |                eoACPwrAttributesPowerUnitMultiplier(5) 
          |   +-- r-n Integer32  eoACPwrAttributesPowerAccuracy(6) 
          |   +-- r-n Interger32    
          |                   eoACPwrAttributesTotalActivePower(7) 
          |   +-- r-n Integer32   
          |                 eoACPwrAttributesTotalReactivePower(8) 
          |   +-- r-n Integer32     
          |                 eoACPwrAttributesTotalApparentPower(9) 
          |   +-- r-n Integer32     
          |                  eoACPwrAttributesTotalPowerFactor(10) 
          |   +-- r-n Integer32  eoACPwrAttributesThdAmpheres(11) 
          |      
          +eoACPwrAttributesPhaseTable(2) 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014           [Page 8] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
          +---EoACPwrAttributesPhaseEntry(1) 
          |     |  [ entPhysicalIndex, eoPhaseIndex] 
          |     | 
          |     +-- r-n Integer32  eoPhaseIndex(1) 
          |     +-- r-n Integer32   
          |     |          eoACPwrAttributesPhaseAvgCurrent(2) 
          |     +-- r-n Integer32   
          |     |          eoACPwrAttributesPhaseActivePower(3) 
          |     +-- r-n Integer32   
          |     |          eoACPwrAttributesPhaseReactivePower(4) 
          |     +-- r-n Integer32   
          |     |          eoACPwrAttributesPhaseApparentPower(5) 
          |     +-- r-n Integer32  
          |     |          eoACPwrAttributesPhasePowerFactor(6) 
          |     +-- r-n Integer32   
          |     |          eoACPwrAttributesPhaseImpedance(7) 
          |     | 
          +eoACPwrAttributesDelPhaseTable(3) 
          +-- eoACPwrAttributesDelPhaseEntry(1)  
          |     |   [entPhysicalIndex, eoPhaseIndex] 
          |     |                            
          |     +-- r-n Integer32 
          |     |    eoACPwrAttributesDelPhaseToNextPhaseVoltage(1) 
          |     +-- r-n Integer32  
          |     | eoACPwrAttributesDelThdPhaseToNextPhaseVoltage(2) 
          |     +-- r-n Integer32   
                                 eoACPwrAttributesDelThdCurrent(3) 
          |     | 
          +eoACPwrAttributesWyePhaseTable(4) 
          +-- eoACPwrAttributesWyePhaseEntry(1)  
          |     |       [entPhysicalIndex, eoPhaseIndex] 
          |     |                             
          |     +-- r-n Integer32  
          |     |     eoACPwrAttributesWyePhaseToNeutralVoltage(1) 
          |     +-- r-n Integer32   
          |     |     eoACPwrAttributesWyePhaseCurrent(2) 
          |     +-- r-n Integer32 
          |     |  eoACPwrAttributesWyeThdPhaseToNeutralVoltage(3) 
          |     . 

        A UML representation of the MIB objects in the two MIB modules 
        ENERGY-OBJECT-MIB and POWER-ATTRIBUTES-MIB are presented.  

              +-------------------------+       
              |    Energy Object State  |   
              | ----------------------- |  

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014           [Page 9] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
              | eoPowerAdminState       |  
              | eoPowerOperState        |     
              | eoPowerStateEnterReason |    
              +-------------------------+ 
                        | 
                        | 
                        v                  
              +-----------------------+ 
        |---> |  Energy Object ID (*) | 
        |     | --------------------- | 
        |     | entPhysicalIndex      | 
        |     | entPhysicalName       | 
        |     | entPhysicalUUID       | 
        |     +-----------------------+ 
        |                          
        |     +-----------------------------+ 
        |---- |  Energy Object Measurement  | 
        |     | --------------------------- | 
        |     | eoPower                     | 
        |     | eoPowerUnitMultiplier       | 
        |     | eoPowerAccuracy             | 
        |     +-----------------------------+ 
        |      
        |     +---------------------------+ 
        |---- |  Energy Object Attributes | 
        |     | ------------------------- | 
        |     | eoPowerNamePlate          | 
        |     | eoPowerMeasurementCaliber | 
        |     | eoPowerCurrentType        | 
        |     | eoPowerOrigin             | 
        |     +---------------------------+ 
        |                             
        |     +---------------------------------+   
        |---- | Energy Object State Statistics  |   
              |-------------------------------- |    
              | eoPowerStateMaxPower            |   
              | eoPowerStatePowerUnitMultiplier | 
              | eoPowerStateTotalTime           | 
              | eoPowerStateEnterCount          |    
              +---------------------------------+     
         
              Figure 1:UML diagram for energyObjectMIB    
                              
              (*) Compliance with the ENERGY-OBJECT-CONTEXT-MIB 

               +----------------------------------+  
               |    Energy ParametersTable        | 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 10] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
               | -------------------------------- |    
               | eoEnergyObjectIndex              | 
               | eoEnergyParametersIndex          | 
               | eoEnergyParametersIntervalLength | 
               | eoEnergyParametersIntervalNumber | 
               | eoEnergyParametersIntervalMode   | 
               | eoEnergyParametersIntervalWindow | 
               | eoEnergyParametersSampleRate     | 
               | eoEnergyParametersStatus         |    
               +----------------------------------+         
                                   | 
                                   V        
               +----------------------------------+           
               |    Energy Table                  |                          
               | -------------------------------- |                          
               | eoEnergyCollectionStartTime      |                        
               | eoEnergyConsumed                 | 
               | eoEnergyProvided                 | 
               | eoEnergyStored                   | 
               | eoEnergyUnitMultiplier           | 
               | eoEnergyAccuracy                 |           
               | eoEnergyMaxConsumed              | 
               | eoEnergyMaxProduced              |    
               | eoDiscontinuityTime              |    
               +----------------------------------+         

      
              +-----------------------+ 
        |---> |  Energy Object ID (*) | 
        |     | --------------------- | 
        |     | entPhysicalIndex      | 
        |     | entPhysicalName       | 
        |     | entPhysicalUUID       | 
        |     +-----------------------+ 
        |                          
        |     +--------------------------------------+  
        |---- |  Power Attributes                    |  
        |     | ------------------------------------ |   
        |     | eoACPwrAttributesConfiguration       | 
        |     | eoACPwrAttributesAvgVoltage          | 
        |     | eoACPwrAttributesAvgCurrent          | 
        |     | eoACPwrAttributesFrequency           | 
        |     | eoACPwrAttributesPowerUnitMultiplier | 
        |     | eoACPwrAttributesPowerAccuracy       | 
        |     | eoACPwrAttributesTotalActivePower    | 
        |     | eoACPwrAttributesTotalReactivePower  | 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 11] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
        |     | eoACPwrAttributesTotalApparentPower  | 
        |     | eoACPwrAttributesTotalPowerFactor    |    
        |     | eoACPwrAttributesThdAmpheres         | 
        |     +--------------------------------------+    
        |     
        |     
        |     +--------------------------------------+ 
        |---- |  Power Phase Attributes              |  
        |     | ------------------------------------ | 
        |     | eoPhaseIndex                         | 
        |     | eoACPwrAttributesPhaseAvgCurrent     | 
        |     | eoACPwrAttributesPhaseActivePower    | 
        |     | eoACPwrAttributesPhaseReactivePower  |  
        |     | eoACPwrAttributesPhaseApparentPower  |  
        |     | eoACPwrAttributesPhasePowerFactor    | 
        |     | eoACPwrAttributesPhaseImpedance      | 
        |     +--------------------------------------+   
        |     
        |     
        |     +------------------------------------------------+ 
        |---- |  AC Input DEL Configuration                    | 
        |     | ---------------------------------------------- | 
        |     | eoACPwrAttributesDelPhaseToNextPhaseVoltage    | 
        |     | eoACPwrAttributesDelThdPhaseToNextPhaseVoltage | 
        |     | eoACPwrAttributesDelThdCurrent                 | 
        |     +------------------------------------------------+  
        |      
        | 
        |     +----------------------------------------------+  
        |---- |  AC Input WYE Configuration                  | 
              | -------------------------------------------- | 
              | eoACPwrAttributesWyePhaseToNeutralVoltage    | 
              | eoACPwrAttributesWyePhaseCurrent             | 
              | eoACPwrAttributesWyeThdPhaseToNeutralVoltage | 
              +----------------------------------------------+   
         
                Figure 2: UML diagram for the powerAttributesMIB  
      
                 (*) Compliance with the ENERGY-OBJECT-CONTEXT-MIB 

     5.1. Energy Object Information 

        The Energy Object identity information is specified in the 
        ENERGY-OBJECT-CONTEXT-MIB MIB module [EMAN-AWARE-MIB] primary 
        table, i.e. the eoTable.  In this table, the context of the 
        Energy Object such as domain, role description, importance are 
        specified.  In addition, the ENERGY-OBJECT-CONTEXT-MIB module 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 12] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
        specifies the relationship between Energy Objects.  There are 
        several possible relationships between Energy Objects such as 
        meteredBy, metering, poweredBy, powering, aggregatedBy, and 
        aggregating as defined in the IANA-ENERGY-RELATION-MIB MIB 
        module [EMAN-AWARE-MIB].  

     5.2. Power State 

        An Energy Object may have energy conservation modes called Power 
        States.  Between the ON and OFF states of a device, there can be 
        several intermediate energy saving modes.  Those energy saving 
        modes are called as Power States.  
         
        Power States, which represent universal states of power 
        management of an Energy Object, are specified by the 
        eoPowerState MIB object.  The actual Power State is specified by 
        the eoPowerOperState MIB object, while the eoPowerAdminState MIB 
        object specifies the Power State requested for the Energy 
        Object.  The difference between the values of eoPowerOperState 
        and eoPowerAdminState can be attributed that the Energy Object 
        is busy transitioning from eoPowerAdminState into the 
        eoPowerOperState, at which point it will update the content of 
        eoPowerOperState.  In addition, the possible reason for change 
        in Power State is reported in eoPowerStateEnterReason.  
        Regarding eoPowerStateEnterReason, management stations and 
        Energy Objects should support any format of the owner string 
        dictated by the local policy of the organization.  It is 
        suggested that this name contain at least the reason for the 
        transition change, and one or more of the following: IP address, 
        management station name, network manager's name, location, or 
        phone number. 
         
        The MIB objects eoPowerOperState, eoPowerAdminState , and 
        eoPowerStateEnterReason are contained in the eoPowerTable MIB 
        table. 
            
        The eoPowerStateTable table enumerates the maximum power usage 
        in watts, for every single supported Power State of each Power 
        State Set supported by the Energy Object.  In addition, 
        PowerStateTable provides additional statistics: 
        eoPowerStateEnterCount, the number of times an entity has 
        visited a particular Power State, and eoPowerStateTotalTime, the 
        total time spent in a particular Power State of an Energy 
        Object.  

      
     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 13] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
     5.2.1. Power State Set 

        There are several standards and implementations of Power State 
        Sets.  An Energy Object can support one or multiple Power State 
        Set implementation(s) concurrently.  
         
        There are currently three Power State Sets advocated:   
         
          IEEE1621      - [IEEE1621] 
          DMTF          - [DMTF] 
          EMAN          - [EMAN-FMWK] 
      
        The Power State Sets, along with each Power State within the 
        Power Set are listed in [EMAN-FMWK].  
         
     5.3. Energy Object Usage Information 

        For an Energy Object, power usage is reported using eoPower.  
        The magnitude of measurement is based on the 
        eoPowerUnitMultiplier MIB variable, based on the UnitMultiplier 
        Textual Convention (TC). Power measurement magnitude should 
        conform to the IEC 62053-21 [IEC.62053-21] and IEC 62053-22 
        [IEC.62053-22] definition of unit multiplier for the SI (System 
        International) units of measure.  Measured values are 
        represented in SI units obtained by BaseValue * 10 raised to the 
        power of the scale.   
           
        For example, if current power usage of an Energy Object is 3, it 
        could be 3 W, 3 mW, 3 KW, or 3 MW, depending on the value of 
        eoPowerUnitMultiplier.  Note that other measurements throughout 
        the two MIB modules in this document use the same mechanism, 
        including eoPowerStatePowerUnitMultiplier, 
        eoEnergyUnitMultiplier, and 
        eoACPwrAttributesPowerUnitMultiplier. 
         
        In addition to knowing the usage and magnitude, it is useful to 
        know how a eoPower measurement was obtained.  An NMS can use 
        this to account for the accuracy and nature of the reading 
        between different implementations.  For this eoPowerOrigin 
        describes whether the measurements were made at the device 
        itself or from a remote source.  The eoPowerMeasurementCaliber 
        describes the method that was used to measure the power and can 
        distinguish actual or estimated values.  There may be devices in 
        the network, which may not be able to measure or report power 
        consumption.  For those devices, the object 
        eoPowerMeasurementCaliber shall report that measurement 
        mechanism is "unavailable" and the eoPower measurement shall be 
        "0".  

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 14] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 

        The nameplate power rating of an Energy Object is specified in 
        eoPowerNameplate MIB object. 

     5.4. Optional Power Usage Attributes  

        The optional powerAttributesMIB MIB module can be implemented to 
        further describe power usage attributes measurement.  The 
        powerAttributesMIB MIB module adheres closely to the IEC 61850 
        7-2 standard to describe AC measurements.   
         
        The powerAttributesMIB MIB module contains a primary table, the 
        eoACPwrAttributesTable table, that defines power attributes 
        measurements for supported entPhysicalIndex entities, as a 
        sparse extension of the eoPowerTable (with entPhysicalIndex as 
        primary index).  This eoACPwrAttributesTable table contains such 
        information as the configuration (single phase, DEL 3 phases, 
        WYE 3 phases), voltage, frequency, power accuracy, total 
        active/reactive power/apparent power, amperage, and voltage.  
         
        In case of 3-phase power, the eoACPwrAttributesPhaseTable 
        additional table is populated with Power Attributes measurements 
        per phase (so double indexed by the entPhysicalIndex and 
        eoPhaseIndex).  This table, which describes attributes common to 
        both WYE and DEL configurations, contains the average current, 
        active/reactive/apparent power, power factor, and impedance. 
         
        In case of 3-phase power with a DEL configuration, the 
        eoACPwrAttributesDelPhaseTable table describes the phase-to-
        phase  power attributes measurements, i.e., voltage and current. 
         
        In case of 3-phase power with a WYE configuration, the 
        eoACPwrAttributesWyePhaseTable table describes the phase-to-
        neutral power attributes measurements, i.e., voltage and 
        current. 
         
     5.5. Optional Energy Measurement 

        It is relevant to measure energy and demand only when there are 
        actual power measurements obtained from measurement hardware. If 
        the eoPowerMeasurementCaliber MIB object has values of 
        unavailable, unknown, estimated, or presumed, then the energy 
        and demand values are not useful. 
         
        Two tables are introduced to characterize energy measurement of 
        an Energy Object: eoEnergyTable and eoEnergyParametersTable.  
        Both energy and demand information can be represented via the 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 15] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
        eoEnergyTable.  Energy information will be an accumulation with 
        no interval.  Demand information can be represented.  
        The eoEnergyParametersTable consists of the parameters defining  
        eoEnergyParametersIndex an index of that specifies the setting 
        for collection of energy measurements for an Energy Object, 
        eoEnergyObjectIndex linked to the entPhysicalIndex of the 
        Energy Object, the duration of measurement intervals in seconds, 
        (eoEnergyParametersIntervalLength), the number of successive 
        intervals to be stored in the eoEnergyTable, 
        (eoEnergyParametersIntervalNumber), the type of measurement 
        technique (eoEnergyParametersIntervalMode), and a sample rate 
        used to calculate the average (eoEnergyParametersSampleRate).  
        Judicious choice of the sampling rate will ensure accurate 
        measurement of energy while not imposing an excessive polling 
        burden. 
           
        There are three eoEnergyParametersIntervalMode types used for 
        energy measurement collection: period, sliding, and total.  The 
        choices of the three different modes of collection are based on 
        IEC standard 61850-7-4.  Note that multiple 
        eoEnergyParametersIntervalMode types MAY be configured 
        simultaneously.  It is important to note that for a given Energy 
        Object, multiple modes (periodic, total, sliding window) of 
        energy measurement collection can be configured with the use of 
        eoEnergyParametersIndex.  However, simultaneous measurement in 
        multiple modes for a given Energy Object depends on the Energy 
        Object capability.  
      
        These three eoEnergyParametersIntervalMode types are illustrated 
        by the following three figures, for which: 
         
        - The horizontal axis represents the current time, with the 
        symbol <--- L ---> expressing the 
        eoEnergyParametersIntervalLength, and the 
        eoEnergyCollectionStartTime is represented by S1, S2, S3, S4, 
        ..., Sx where x is the value of 
        eoEnergyParametersIntervalNumber. 
         
        - The vertical axis represents the time interval of sampling and 
        the value of eoEnergyConsumed can be obtained at the end of the 
        sampling period.  The symbol =========== denotes the duration of 
        the sampling period.  

              |             |             | =========== |     
              |============ |             |             |   
              |             |             |             | 
              |             |============ |             | 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 16] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
              |             |             |             | 
              | <--- L ---> | <--- L ---> | <--- L ---> | 
              |             |             |             | 
             S1            S2            S3             S4 
         
                Figure 3 : Period eoEnergyParametersIntervalMode 
         
        A eoEnergyParametersIntervalMode type of 'period' specifies non-
        overlapping periodic measurements.  Therefore, the next 
        eoEnergyCollectionStartTime is equal to the previous 
        eoEnergyCollectionStartTime plus 
        eoEnergyParametersIntervalLength. S2=S1+L; S3=S2+L, ... 

                       |============ |            
                       |             |           
                       | <--- L ---> |        
                       |             |         
                       |   |============ |      
                       |   |             | 
                       |   | <--- L ---> |     
                       |   |             |           
                       |   |   |============ |  
                       |   |   |             |              
                       |   |   | <--- L ---> |  
                       |   |   |             |      
                       |   |   |   |============ |  
                       |   |   |   |             |    
                       |   |   |   | <--- L ---> | 
                      S1   |   |   |             | 
                           |   |   |             | 
                           |   |   |             | 
                          S2   |   |             | 
                               |   |             | 
                               |   |             | 
                              S3   |             | 
                                   |             | 
                                   |             | 
                                  S4 
         
               Figure 4 : Sliding eoEnergyParametersIntervalMode 
         
        A eoEnergyParametersIntervalMode type of 'sliding' specifies 
        overlapping periodic measurements. 

        |                          | 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 17] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
        |========================= | 
        |                          | 
        |                          | 
        |                          | 
        |  <--- Total length --->  | 
        |                          | 
                         S1             
         
                Figure 5  : Total eoEnergyParametersIntervalMode 
         
        A eoEnergyParametersIntervalMode type of 'total' specifies a 
        continuous measurement since the last reset.  The value of 
        eoEnergyParametersIntervalNumber should be (1) one and 
        eoEnergyParametersIntervalLength is ignored. 
         
        The eoEnergyParametersStatus is used to start and stop energy 
        usage logging.  The status of this variable is "active" when all 
        the objects in eoEnergyParametersTable are appropriate which in 
        turn indicates if eoEnergyTable entries exist or not. 
         
        The eoEnergyTable consists of energy measurements in 
        eoEnergyConsumed, eoEnergyProvided and eoEnergyStored, the units 
        of the measured energy eoEnergyUnitMultiplier, and the maximum 
        observed energy within a window eoEnergyMaxConsumed, 
        eoEnergyMaxProduced.    
         
        Measurements of the total energy consumed by an Energy Object 
        may suffer from interruptions in the continuous measurement of 
        energy consumption.  In order to indicate such interruptions, 
        the object eoEnergyDiscontinuityTime is provided for indicating 
        the time of the last interruption of total energy measurement.  
        eoEnergyDiscontinuityTime shall indicate the sysUpTime [RFC3418] 
        when the device was reset.  
         
        The following example illustrates the eoEnergyTable and 
        eoEnergyParametersTable: 
         
        First, in order to estimate energy, a time interval to sample 
        energy should be specified, i.e. 
        eoEnergyParametersIntervalLength can be set to "900 seconds" or 
        15 minutes and the number of consecutive intervals over which 
        the maximum energy is calculated 
        (eoEnergyParametersIntervalNumber) as "10".  The sampling rate 
        internal to the Energy Object for measurement of power usage 
        (eoEnergyParametersSampleRate) can be "1000 milliseconds", as 
        set by the Energy Object as a reasonable value.  Then, the 
        eoEnergyParametersStatus is set to active (value 1) to indicate 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 18] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
        that the Energy Object should start monitoring the usage per the 
        eoEnergyTable. 
         
        The indices for the eoEnergyTable are eoEnergyParametersIndex 
        which identifies the index for the setting of energy measurement 
        collection Energy Object, and eoEnergyCollectionStartTime, which 
        denotes the start time of the energy measurement interval based 
        on sysUpTime [RFC3418].  The value of eoEnergyComsumed is the 
        measured energy consumption over the time interval specified 
        (eoEnergyParametersIntervalLength) based on the Energy Object 
        internal sampling rate (eoEnergyParametersSampleRate).  While 
        choosing the values for the eoEnergyParametersIntervalLength and 
        eoEnergyParametersSampleRate, it is recommended to take into 
        consideration either the network element resources adequate to 
        process and store the sample values, and the mechanism used to 
        calculate the eoEnergyConsumed.  The units are derived from 
        eoEnergyUnitMultiplier.  For example, eoEnergyConsumed can be 
        "100" with eoEnergyUnitMultiplier  equal to 0, the measured 
        energy consumption of the Energy Object is 100 watt-hours.  The 
        eoEnergyMaxConsumed is the maximum energy observed and that can 
        be "150 watt-hours". 
         
        The eoEnergyTable has a buffer to retain a certain number of 
        intervals, as defined by eoEnergyParametersIntervalNumber.   
        If the default value of "10" is kept, then the eoEnergyTable 
        contains 10 energy measurements, including the maximum.   
         
        Here is a brief explanation of how the maximum energy can be 
        calculated.  The first observed energy measurement value is 
        taken to be the initial maximum.  With each subsequent 
        measurement, based on numerical comparison, maximum energy may 
        be updated.  The maximum value is retained as long as the 
        measurements are taking place.  Based on periodic polling of 
        this table, an NMS could compute the maximum over a longer 
        period, i.e. a month, 3 months, or a year. 

     5.6. Fault Management 

        [RFC6988] specifies requirements about Power States such as "the 
        current Power State" , "the time of the last state change", "the 
        total time spent in each state", "the number of transitions to 
        each state" etc.  Some of these requirements are fulfilled 
        explicitly by MIB objects such as eoPowerOperState, 
        eoPowerStateTotalTime and eoPowerStateEnterCount.  Some of the 
        other requirements are met via the SNMP NOTIFICATION mechanism.  
        eoPowerStateChange SNMP notification which is generated when the 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 19] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
        value(s) of ,eoPowerStateIndex, eoPowerOperState, 

TOM: Odd spacing of the comma above.

        eoPowerAdminState have changed.  

     6. Discovery 

        It is foreseen that most Energy Objects will require the 
        implementation of the ENERGY-OBJECT-CONTEXT-MIB MIB [EMAN-AWARE-
        MIB] as a prerequisite for this MIB module.  In such a case, 
        eoPowerTable of the EMAN-MON-MIB is a sparse extension of the 
        eoTable of ENERGY-OBJECT-CONTEXT-MIB.  Every Energy Object MUST 
        implement entPhysicalIndex, entPhysicalUUID  and entPhysicalName 
        from the ENTITY-MIB [RFC6933].  As the primary index for the 
        Energy Object, entPhysicalIndex is used: It characterizes the 
        Energy Object in the ENERGY-OBJECT-MIB and the POWER-ATTRIBUTES-
        MIB MIB modules (this document). 

        The NMS must first poll the ENERGY-OBJECT-CONTEXT-MIB MIB module 
        [EMAN-AWARE-MIB], if available, in order to discover all the 
        Energy Objects and the relationships between those Energy 
        Objects. In the ENERGY-OBJECT-CONTEXT-MIB module tables, the 
        Energy Objects are indexed by the entPhysicalIndex. 

        From there, the NMS must poll the eoPowerStateTable (specified 
        in the ENERGY-OBJECT-MIB module in this document), which 
        enumerates, amongst other things, the maximum power usage.  As 
        the entries in eoPowerStateTable table are indexed by the  
        Energy Object ( entPhysicalIndex), by the Power State Set 
        (eoPowerStateIndex), the maximum power usage is discovered per  
        Energy Object, and the power usage per Power State of the Power 
        State Set.  In other words, polling the eoPowerStateTable allows 
        the discovery of each Power State within every Power State Set 
        supported by the Energy Object.               

        If the Energy Object has an Aggregation Relationship with 
        another Energy Object, the MIB module would be populated with 
        the Energy Object relationship information, which have their own 
        Energy Object index value (entPhysicalIndex). However, the 
        Energy Object relationship must be discovered thanks to the 
        ENERGY-OBJECT-CONTEXT-MIB module.  

        Finally, the NMS can monitor the power attributes thanks to the 
        powerAttributesMIB MIB module, which reuses the entPhysicalIndex 
        to index the Energy Object. 

      
     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 20] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
     7. Link with the other IETF MIBs 

     7.1. Link with the ENTITY-MIB and the ENTITY-SENSOR MIB  

        RFC 4133 [RFC4133] defines the ENTITY-MIB module that lists the 
        physical entities of a networking device (router, switch, etc.) 
        and those physical entities indexed by entPhysicalIndex.  From 
        an energy-management standpoint, the physical entities that 
        consume or produce energy are of interest. 
         
        RFC 3433 [RFC3433] defines the ENTITY-SENSOR MIB module that 
        provides a standardized way of obtaining information (current 
        value of the sensor, operational status of the sensor, and the 
        data units precision) from sensors embedded in networking 
        devices.  Sensors are associated with each index of 
        entPhysicalIndex of the ENTITY-MIB [RFC4133].  While the focus 
        of the Power and Energy Monitoring MIB is on measurement of 
        power usage of networking equipment indexed by the ENTITY-MIB, 
        this MIB proposes a customized power scale for power measurement 
        and different Power States of networking equipment, and 
        functionality to configure the Power States. 
         
        The Energy Objects are modeled by the entPhysicalIndex through 
        the entPhysicalEntity MIB object specified in the eoTable in the 
        ENERGY-OBJECT-CONTEXT-MIB MIB module [EMAN-AWARE-MIB].   

        The ENTITY-SENSOR MIB [RFC3433] does not have the ANSI C12.x 
        accuracy classes required for electricity (i.e., 1%, 2%, 0.5% 
        accuracy classes). Indeed, entPhySensorPrecision [RFC3433] 
        represents "The number of decimal places of precision in fixed-
        point sensor values returned by the associated entPhySensorValue 
        object".  The ANSI and IEC Standards are used for power 
        measurement and these standards require that we use an accuracy 
        class, not the scientific-number precision model specified in 
        RFC3433.  The eoPowerAccuracy MIB object models this accuracy.  
        Note that eoPowerUnitMultipler represents the scale factor per 
        IEC 62053-21 [IEC.62053-21] and IEC 62053-22 [IEC.62053-22], 
        which is a more logical representation for power measurements 
        (compared to entPhySensorScale), with the mantissa and the 
        exponent values X * 10 ^ Y. 

        Power measurements specifying the qualifier 'UNITS' for each 
        measured value in watts are used in the LLDP-EXT-MED-MIB, POE 
        [RFC3621], and UPS [RFC1628] MIBs.  The same 'UNITS' qualifier 
        is used for the power measurement values.    

      
     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 21] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
        One cannot assume that the ENTITY-MIB and ENTITY-SENSOR MIB are 
        implemented for all Energy Objects that need to be monitored.  A 
        typical example is a converged building gateway, monitoring 
        several other devices in the building, doing the proxy between 
        SNMP and a protocol like BACNET.  Another example is the home 
        energy controller.  In such cases, the eoPhysicalEntity value 
        contains the zero value, thanks to PhysicalIndexOrZero textual 
        convention. 
         
        The eoPower is similar to entPhySensorValue [RFC3433] and the 
        eoPowerUnitMultipler is similar to entPhySensorScale. 

     7.2. Link with the ENTITY-STATE MIB  

        For each entity in the ENTITY-MIB [RFC4133], the ENTITY-STATE 
        MIB [RFC4268] specifies the operational states (entStateOper: 
        unknown, enabled, disabled, testing), the alarm (entStateAlarm: 
        unknown, underRepair, critical, major, minor, warning, 
        indeterminate) and the possible values of standby states  
        (entStateStandby: unknown, hotStandby, coldStandby, 
        providingService). 
         
        From a power monitoring point of view, in contrast to the entity 
        operational states of entities, Power States are required, as 
        proposed in the Power and Energy Monitoring MIB module.  Those 
        Power States can be mapped to the different operational states 
        in the ENTITY-STATE MIB, if a formal mapping is required.  For 
        example, the entStateStandby "unknown", "hotStandby", 
        "coldStandby", states could map to the Power State "unknown", 
        "ready", "standby", respectively, while the entStateStandby 
        "providingService" could map to any "low" to "high" Power State. 

     7.3. Link with the POWER-OVER-ETHERNET MIB 

        Power-over-Ethernet MIB [RFC3621] provides an energy monitoring 
        and configuration framework for power over Ethernet devices.  
        The RFC introduces a concept of a port group on a switch to 
        define power monitoring and management policy and does not use 
        the entPhysicalIndex as the index.  Indeed, the 
        pethMainPseConsumptionPower is indexed by the 
        pethMainPseGroupIndex, which has no mapping with the 
        entPhysicalIndex.  
         
        One cannot assume that the Power-over-Ethernet MIB is 
        implemented for all Energy Objects that need to be monitored.   

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 22] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
        A typical example is a converged building gateway, monitoring 
        several other devices in the building, doing the proxy between 
        SNMP and a protocol like BACNET.  Another example is the home 
        energy controller.  In such cases, the eoethPortIndex and 
        eoethPortGrpIndex values contain the zero value, thanks to new 
        PethPsePortIndexOrZero and textual PethPsePortGroupIndexOrZero 
        conventions. 
         
        However, if the Power-over-Ethernet MIB [RFC3621] is supported, 
        the Energy Object eoethPortIndex and eoethPortGrpIndex contain 
        the pethPsePortIndex and pethPsePortGroupIndex, respectively. 
         
        As a consequence, the entPhysicalIndex MIB object has been kept 
        as the unique Energy Object index. 
         
        Note that, even though the Power-over-Ethernet MIB [RFC3621] was 
        created after the ENTITY-SENSOR MIB [RFC3433], it does not reuse 
        the precision notion from the ENTITY-SENSOR MIB, i.e. the 
        entPhySensorPrecision MIB object. 

     7.4. Link with the UPS MIB 

        To protect against unexpected power disruption, data centers and 
        buildings make use of Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS).  To 
        protect critical assets, a UPS can be restricted to a particular 
        subset or domain of the network.  UPS usage typically lasts only 
        for a finite period of time, until normal power supply is 
        restored.  Planning is required to decide on the capacity of the 
        UPS based on output power and duration of probable power outage.  
        To properly provision UPS power in a data center or building, it 
        is important to first understand the total demand required to 
        support all the entities in the site.  This demand can be 
        assessed and monitored via the Power and Energy Monitoring MIB.  

        UPS MIB [RFC1628] provides information on the state of the UPS 
        network.  Implementation of the UPS MIB is useful at the 
        aggregate level of a data center or a building.  The MIB module 
        contains several groups of variables: 

        - upsIdent: Identifies the UPS entity (name, model, etc.).  

        - upsBattery group: Indicates the battery state 
        (upsbatteryStatus, upsEstimatedMinutesRemaining, etc.) 

        - upsInput group: Characterizes the input load to the UPS 
        (number of input lines, voltage, current, etc.). 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 23] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
        - upsOutput: Characterizes the output from the UPS (number of 
        output lines, voltage, current, etc.) 

        - upsAlarms: Indicates the various alarm events.   

        The measurement of power in the UPS MIB is in Volts, Amperes and 
        Watts.  The units of power measurement are RMS volts and RMS 
        Amperes. They are not based on the EntitySensorDataScale and 
        EntitySensorDataPrecision of ENTITY-SENSOR-MIB. 

        Both the Power and Energy Monitoring MIB and the UPS MIB may be 
        implemented on the same UPS SNMP agent, without conflict.  In 
        this case, the UPS device itself is the Energy Object  and any 
        of the UPS meters or submeters are the Energy Objects with a 
        possible relationship as defined in [EMAN-FMWK]. 
         
     7.5. Link with the LLDP and LLDP-MED MIBs 

        The LLDP Protocol is a Data Link Layer protocol used by network 
        devices to advertise their identities, capabilities, and 
        interconnections on a LAN network.  
         
        The Media Endpoint Discovery is an enhancement of LLDP, known as 
        LLDP-MED.  The LLDP-MED enhancements specifically address voice 
        applications.  LLDP-MED covers 6 basic areas: capability 
        discovery, LAN speed and duplex discovery, network policy 
        discovery, location identification discovery, inventory 
        discovery, and power discovery.   
         
        Of particular interest to the current MIB module is the power 
        discovery, which allows the endpoint device (such as a PoE 
        phone) to convey power requirements to the switch.  In power 
        discovery, LLDP-MED has four Type Length Values (TLVs): power 
        type, power source, power priority and power value.  
        Respectively, those TLVs provide information related to the type 
        of power (power sourcing entity versus powered device), how the 
        device is powered (from the line, from a backup source, from 
        external power source, etc.), the power priority (how important 
        is it that this device has power?), and how much power the 
        device needs. 
          
        The power priority specified in the LLDP-MED MIB [LLDP-MED-MIB] 
        actually comes from the Power-over-Ethernet MIB [RFC3621]. If 
        the Power-over-Ethernet MIB [RFC3621] is supported, the exact 
        value from the pethPsePortPowerPriority [RFC3621] is copied over 
        in the lldpXMedRemXPoEPDPowerPriority [LLDP-MED-MIB]; otherwise 
        the value in lldpXMedRemXPoEPDPowerPriority is "unknown". From 
        the Power and Energy Monitoring MIB, it is possible to identify 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 24] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
        the pethPsePortPowerPriority [RFC3621], thanks to the 
        eoethPortIndex and eoethPortGrpIndex. 
         
        The lldpXMedLocXPoEPDPowerSource [LLDP-MED-MIB] is similar to 
        eoPowerOrigin in indicating if the power for an attached device 
        is local or from a remote device. If the LLDP-MED MIB is 
        supported, the following mapping can be applied to the 
        eoPowerOrigin: lldpXMedLocXPoEPDPowerSource fromPSE(2) and 
        local(3) can be mapped to remote(2) and self(1), respectively. 

     8. Implementation Scenario 

        This section provides an illustrative example scenario for the 
        implementation of the Energy Object, including Energy Object 
        relationships.  
         
        Example Scenario of a campus network: Switch with PoE Endpoints 
        with further connected devices.  
         
        The campus network consists of switches that provide LAN 
        connectivity.  The switch with PoE ports is located in wiring 
        closet.  PoE IP phones are connected to the switch.  The IP 
        phones draw power from the PoE ports of the switch.  In 
        addition, a PC is daisy-chained from the IP phone for LAN 
        connectivity.   
         
        The IP phone consumes power from the PoE switch, while the PC 
        consumes power from the wall outlet.  
         
        The switch has implementations of ENTITY-MIB [RFC6933] and 
        ENERGY-OBJECT-CONTEXT-MIB  MIB [EMAN-AWARE-MIB]. while the PC 
        has an implementation of the ENTITY-MIB with 
        entity4CRCompliance, and an implementation of ENERGY-OBJECT-
        CONTEXT-MIB  MIB [EMAN-AWARE-MIB]. The switch has the following 
        attributes, entPhysicalIndex "1", and entPhysicalUUID  "UUID 
        1000".  The power usage of the switch is "440 Watts". 
         
        The PoE switch port has the following attributes: The switch 
        port has entPhysicalIndex "3", and entPhysicalUUID is "UUID 
        1000:3".  The power metered at the POE switch port is "12 
        watts".  In this example, the POE switch port has an Energy 
        Object relationship with the switch with Energy Object index 
        "1000". 
      
        The attributes of the PC are given below. The PC  has an 
        entPhysicalIndex "7" and its entPhysicalUUID is "UUID 1000:57 ".  
        The PC has an Energy Object relationship with the switch port 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 25] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
        whose entPhysicalUUID is "UUID 1000:3".  The power usage of the 
        PC is "120 Watts" and is communicated to the switch port.  
         
        The IP phone draws power from the switch, while the PC has LAN 
        connectivity from the phone, but is powered from the wall 
        outlet.  However, the Energy Object switch sends power control 
        messages to both the Energy Object (IP phone and PC) and the 
        attached remote Energy Objects react to those messages. 

        |-------------------------------------------------------| 
        |                            Switch                     | 
        |=======================================================| 
        |  Switch        |  Switch     |            | Switch    | 
        | entPhyIndx     |  UUID       |            | eoPower   | 
        | ===================================================== | 
        |     1          |  UUID 1000  |    null    |   440     | 
        | ===================================================== | 
        |                                                       | 
        |                           SWITCH PORT                 | 
        | ===================================================== | 
        | | Switch      |   Switch     | Switch     | Switch    | 
        | | Port        |    Port      |   UUID     | Port      | 
        | | entPhyIndx  |    UUID      |            | eoPower   | 
        | ===================================================== | 
        | |    3        | UUID 1000:3  | 1000       |  12       | 
        | ======================================================| 
        |                                   ^                   | 
        |                                   |                   | 
        |-----------------------------------|-------------------| 
                                            | 
                                            | 
                          POE IP PHONE      | 
                                            | 
                                            | 
        ====================================================== 
        | IP phone    | IP phone    |   Port      |  IP phone |  
        | entPhyIndx  | UUID        |   UUID      |  eoPower  | 
        ======================================================  
        |  Null       | UUID 1000:31| UUID 1000:3 |  12       | 
        ======================================================= 
                                             | 
                                             | 
        PC connected to switch via IP phone  | 
                                             | 
        ===================================================== 
        | PC         | PC          |  Port       | PC       | 
        |entPhyIndx  | UUID        |  UUID       | eoPower  | 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 26] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
        ===================================================== 
        |  7         | UUID 1000:57| UUID 1000:3 | 120      |   
        ===================================================== 

                     Figure 6:  Example scenario  

     9. Structure of the MIB 

        The primary MIB object in this MIB module is the 
        energyObjectMIBObject. The eoPowerTable table of 
        energyObjectMIBObject describes the power measurement attributes 
        of an Energy Object entity. The notion of identity of the device 
        in terms of uniquely identification of the Energy Object and its 
        relationship to other entities in the network are addressed in 
        [EMAN-AWARE-MIB].  
         
        Logically, this MIB module is a sparse extension of the 
        ENERGY-OBJECT-CONTEXT-MIB module [EMAN-AWARE-MIB]. Thus the 
        following requirements which are applied to [EMAN-AWARE-MIB] are 
        also applicable. As a requirement for this MIB module, [EMAN-
        AWARE-MIB] should be implemented and as Module Compliance of 
        ENTITY-MIB V4 [RFC6933] with respect to entity4CRCompliance 
        should be supported which requires 3 MIB objects 
        (entPhysicalIndex, entPhysicalName and entPhysicalUUID ) MUST be 
        implemented.  
          
        eoMeterCapabilitiesTable is useful to enable applications to 
        determine the capabilities supported by the local management 
        agent.  This table indicates the energy monitoring MIB groups 
        that are supported by the local management system. By reading 
        the value of this object, it is possible for applications to 
        know which tables contain the information and are usable without 
        walking through the table and querying every element which 
        involves a trial-and-error process. 
      
        The power measurement of an Energy Object contains information 
        describing its power usage (eoPower) and its current Power State 
        (eoPowerOperState).  In addition to power usage, additional 
        information describing the units of measurement 
        (eoPowerAccuracy, eoPowerUnitMultiplier), how power usage 
        measurement was obtained  (eoPowerMeasurementCaliber), the 
        source of power (eoPowerOrigin) and the type of power 
        (eoPowerCurrentTtype) are described. 

      
     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 27] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
        An Energy Object may contain an optional eoPowerAttributes table 
        that describes the electrical characteristics associated with 
        the current Power State and usage. 
         
        An Energy Object may contain an optional eoEnergyTable to 
        describe energy measurement information over time. 
         
        An Energy Object may also contain optional battery information 
        associated with this entity.  

     10. MIB Definitions 

        -- ************************************************************ 
        --  
        --    
        -- This MIB is used to monitor power usage of network 
        -- devices 
        --    
        -- ************************************************************* 
         
        ENERGY-OBJECT-MIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN 
         
        IMPORTS 
            MODULE-IDENTITY, 
            OBJECT-TYPE, 
            NOTIFICATION-TYPE, 
            mib-2, 
            Integer32,  Counter32, TimeTicks    
                FROM SNMPv2-SMI 
            TEXTUAL-CONVENTION, DisplayString, RowStatus, TimeInterval, 
            TimeStamp, TruthValue            
                FROM SNMPv2-TC     
            MODULE-COMPLIANCE, NOTIFICATION-GROUP, OBJECT-GROUP 
                FROM SNMPv2-CONF 
            OwnerString 
                FROM RMON-MIB 
            entPhysicalIndex, PhysicalIndex 
               FROM ENTITY-MIB    
            IANAPowerStateSet                  
               FROM IANA-POWERSTATE-SET-MIB; 

        energyObjectMIB MODULE-IDENTITY 
            LAST-UPDATED    "201312130000Z"     -- 13 December 2013 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 28] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
            ORGANIZATION    "IETF EMAN Working Group" 
            CONTACT-INFO 
                    "WG charter: 
                    http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/eman/charter/ 
         
                  Mailing Lists: 
                     General Discussion: [email-masked] 

                     To Subscribe:  
                     https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman 

                     Archive:  
                     http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/eman 

                  Editors: 
                     Mouli Chandramouli 
                     Cisco Systems, Inc. 
                     Sarjapur Outer Ring Road 
                     Bangalore 560103 
                     IN 
                     Phone: +91 80 4429 2409  
                     Email: [email-masked] 

                     Benoit Claise 
                     Cisco Systems, Inc. 
                     De Kleetlaan 6a b1 
                     Degem 1831 
                     Belgium 
                     Phone:  +32 2 704 5622 
                     Email: [email-masked] 

                     Brad Schoening 
                     44 Rivers Edge Drive 
                     Little Silver, NJ 07739 
                     US 
                     Email: [email-masked] 

                     Juergen Quittek 
                     NEC Europe Ltd. 
                     NEC Laboratories Europe 
                     Network Research Division 
                     Kurfuersten-Anlage 36 
                     Heidelberg  69115 
                     DE 
                     Phone: +49 6221 4342-115 
                     Email: [email-masked] 

      
     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 29] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
                     Thomas Dietz 
                     NEC Europe Ltd. 
                     NEC Laboratories Europe 
                     Network Research Division 
                     Kurfuersten-Anlage 36 
                     69115 Heidelberg 
                     DE 
                     Phone: +49 6221 4342-128 
                     Email: [email-masked]" 

            DESCRIPTION 
               "This MIB is used to monitor power and energy in  
                devices.  
         
                This table sparse extension of the eoTable  
                from the ENERGY-OBJECT-CONTEXT-MIB. As a requirement  
                [EMAN-AWARE-MIB] must be implemented. 

                 Module Compliance of ENTITY-MIB v4 
                 with respect to entity4CRCompliance should  
                 be supported which requires implementation  
                 of 3 MIB objects (entPhysicalIndex,  
                 entPhysicalName and entPhysicalUUID)." 
         
            REVISION 
                  "201312130000Z"     -- 13 December 2013  
         
            DESCRIPTION 
               "Initial version, published as RFC YYY." 
         
           ::= { energyMIB 3 } 

        energyObjectMIBNotifs OBJECT IDENTIFIER 
            ::= { energyObjectMIB 0 } 
         
        energyObjectMIBObjects OBJECT IDENTIFIER 
            ::= { energyObjectMIB 1 } 
      
        energyObjectMIBConform  OBJECT IDENTIFIER 
            ::= { energyObjectMIB 2 } 

        -- Textual Conventions 

        UnitMultiplier ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 30] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION  
               "The Unit Multiplier is an integer value that represents 
               the IEEE 61850 Annex A units multiplier associated with 
               the integer units used to measure the power or energy.  
                 
               For example, when used with eoPowerUnitMultiplier, -3 
               represents 10^-3 or milliwatts." 
            REFERENCE 
                    "The International System of Units (SI), 
                    National Institute of Standards and Technology, 
                    Spec. Publ. 330, August 1991." 
            SYNTAX INTEGER { 
                yocto(-24),   -- 10^-24 
                zepto(-21),   -- 10^-21 
                atto(-18),    -- 10^-18 
                femto(-15),   -- 10^-15 
                pico(-12),    -- 10^-12 
                nano(-9),     -- 10^-9 
                micro(-6),    -- 10^-6 
                milli(-3),    -- 10^-3 
                units(0),     -- 10^0 
                kilo(3),      -- 10^3 
                mega(6),      -- 10^6 
                giga(9),      -- 10^9 
                tera(12),     -- 10^12 
                peta(15),     -- 10^15 
                exa(18),      -- 10^18 
                zetta(21),    -- 10^21 
                yotta(24)     -- 10^24 
            } 
          
        -- Objects 

        eoMeterCapabilitiesTable OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          SEQUENCE OF EoMeterCapabilitiesEntry  
            MAX-ACCESS      not-accessible 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
        "This table is useful for helping applications determine the 
        monitoring capabilities supported by the local management 
        agents.  It is possible for applications to know which tables  
        are usable without going through a trial-and-error process." 
            ::= { energyObjectMIBObjects 1 } 

      
     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 31] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
        eoMeterCapabilitiesEntry OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          EoMeterCapabilitiesEntry 
            MAX-ACCESS      not-accessible 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
        "An entry describes the metering capability of an Energy 
        Object." 
            INDEX        { entPhysicalIndex }     
        ::= { eoMeterCapabilitiesTable  1 } 

        EoMeterCapabilitiesEntry ::= SEQUENCE { 
                  eoMeterCapability          BITS 
                       } 
         
        eoMeterCapability OBJECT-TYPE 
                   SYNTAX   BITS { 
                      none(0),  
                      powermetering(1),        -- power measurement  
                      energymetering(2),       -- energy measurement 
                      powerattributes(3)  -- power attributes     
                            } 
                   MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
                   STATUS          current 
                   DESCRIPTION  
        "An indication of the Energy monitoring capabilities supported 
        by this agent. This object use a BITS syntax  and indicate the 
        MIB groups supported by the probe. By reading the value of this 
        object, it is possible to determine the MIB tables supported. " 
            ::= { eoMeterCapabilitiesEntry 1  } 

        eoPowerTable OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          SEQUENCE OF EoPowerEntry  
            MAX-ACCESS      not-accessible 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "This table lists Energy Objects." 
            ::= { energyObjectMIBObjects 2  } 

        eoPowerEntry OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          EoPowerEntry 
            MAX-ACCESS      not-accessible 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "An entry describes the power usage of an Energy Object." 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 32] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
            INDEX        { entPhysicalIndex }     
        ::= { eoPowerTable  1 } 

        EoPowerEntry ::= SEQUENCE { 
                    
                eoPower                         Integer32, 
                eoPowerNameplate                Integer32, 
                eoPowerUnitMultiplier           UnitMultiplier, 
                eoPowerAccuracy                 Integer32,                   
                eoPowerMeasurementCaliber       INTEGER, 
                eoPowerCurrentType              INTEGER, 
                eoPowerOrigin                   INTEGER, 
                eoPowerAdminState               IANAPowerStateSet,  
                eoPowerOperState                IANAPowerStateSet,  
                eoPowerStateEnterReason         OwnerString 
          } 

        eoPower OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 

TOM: Should this be limited to positives only? You can't have negative watts can you?

            UNITS           "Watts" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "This object indicates the power measured for the Energy 
               Object. For alternating current, this value is obtained 
               as an average over fixed number of AC cycles.  .  This 
               value is specified in SI units of watts with the 
               magnitude of watts (milliwatts, kilowatts, etc.) 
               indicated separately in eoPowerUnitMultiplier. The 
               accuracy of the measurement is specfied in 
               eoPowerAccuracy. The direction of power flow is indicated 
               by the sign on eoPower. If the Energy Object is consuming 
               power, the eoPower value will be positive. If the Energy 
               Object is producing power, the eoPower value will be 
               negative.   
           
               The eoPower MUST be less than or equal to the maximum 
               power that can be consumed at the power state specified 
               by eoPowerState. 
           
               The eoPowerMeasurementCaliber object specifies how the 
               usage value reported by eoPower was obtained. The eoPower 
               value must report 0 if the eoPowerMeasurementCaliber is 
               'unavailable'.  For devices that can not measure or 
               report power, this option can be used."  

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 33] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
            ::= { eoPowerEntry 1  } 

        eoPowerNameplate OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 

TOM: Should this be limited to positives only?

            UNITS           "Watts" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "This object indicates the rated maximum consumption for 
               the fully populated Energy Object.  The nameplate power 
               requirements are the maximum power numbers and, in almost 

TOM: "maximum power numbers given in Watts..."

               all cases, are well above the expected operational 
               consumption.  The eoPowerNameplate is widely used for 
               power provisioning.  This value is specified in either 
               units of watts or voltage and current.  The units are 
               therefore SI watts or equivalent Volt-Amperes with the 
               magnitude (milliwatts, kilowatts, etc.) indicated 
TOM: So here you say "SI watts" so should the UNITS above be "SI Watts"?

               separately in eoPowerUnitMultiplier."  
            ::= { eoPowerEntry 2  } 
         
        eoPowerUnitMultiplier OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          UnitMultiplier 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "The magnitude of watts for the usage value in eoPower 
               and eoPowerNameplate."  
            ::= { eoPowerEntry 3  } 
         
        eoPowerAccuracy OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 (0..10000) 
            UNITS           "hundredths of percent" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "This object indicates a percentage value, in 100ths of a 
               percent, representing the assumed accuracy of the usage 
               reported by eoPower. For example: The value 1010 means 
               the reported usage is accurate to +/- 10.1 percent.  This 
               value is zero if the accuracy is unknown or not 
               applicable based upon the measurement method. 
                
               ANSI and IEC define the following accuracy classes for 
               power measurement: 
                    IEC 62053-22  60044-1 class 0.1, 0.2, 0.5, 1  3. 
                    ANSI C12.20 class 0.2, 0.5" 
            ::= { eoPowerEntry 4  } 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 34] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 

        eoPowerMeasurementCaliber   OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          INTEGER  { 
                                unavailable(1) ,          
                                unknown(2),  
                                actual(3) , 
                                estimated(4),   
                                static(5)                    } 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "This object specifies how the usage value reported by 
               eoPower was obtained: 
                
               - unavailable(1): Indicates that the usage is not 
               available. In such a case, the eoPower value must be 0 
               for devices that can not measure or report power this 
               option can be used. 
                
               - unknown(2): Indicates that the way the usage was 
               determined is unknown. In some cases, entities report 
               aggregate power on behalf of another device. In such 
               cases it is not known whether the usage reported is 
               actual(2), estimated(3) or presumed (4). 
                 
               - actual(3):  Indicates that the reported usage was 
               measured by the entity through some hardware or direct 
               physical means. The usage data reported is not presumed 
               (4) or estimated (3) but is the measured consumption 
               rate.  

               - estimated(4): Indicates that the usage was not 
               determined by physical measurement. The value is a 
               derivation based upon the device type, state, and/or 
               current utilization using some algorithm or heuristic. It 
               is presumed that the entity's state and current 
               configuration were used to compute the value.   
               
              - static(5): Indicates that the usage was not determined 
              by physical measurement, algorithm or derivation. The 
              usage was reported based upon external tables, 
              specifications, and/or model information.  For example, a 
              PC Model X draws 200W, while a PC Model Y draws 210W" 
               
         ::= { eoPowerEntry 5  } 
      
        eoPowerCurrentType OBJECT-TYPE 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 35] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
              SYNTAX      INTEGER  { 
                               ac(1), 
                               dc(2), 
                               unknown(3) 
                           } 
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only 
               STATUS      current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "This object indicates whether the eoPower for the  
               Energy Object reports alternating current AC(1), direct 
               current DC(2), or that the current type is unknown(3)."  
         ::= { eoPowerEntry 6  } 
      
        eoPowerOrigin  OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          INTEGER  { 
                                self (1),  
                                remote (2)                     
                            } 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "This object indicates the source of power measurement 
               and can be useful when modeling the power usage of 
               attached devices. The power measurement can be performed 
               by the entity itself or the power measurement of the 
               entity can be reported by another trusted entity using a 
               protocol extension.  A value of self(1) indicates the 
               measurement is performed by the entity, whereas remote(2) 
               indicates that the measurement was performed by another 
               entity."  
            ::= { eoPowerEntry 7  } 
         
        eoPowerAdminState OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          IANAPowerStateSet  
            MAX-ACCESS      read-write 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "This object specifies the desired Power State and the 
                Power State Set for the Energy Object. Note that 
                other(0) is not a Power State Set and unknown(255) is 
                not a Power State as such, but simply an indication that 
                the Power State of the Energy Object is unknown. 
                Possible values of eoPowerAdminState within the Power 
                State Set are registered at IANA.   
                A current list of assignments can be found at 
                <http://www.iana.org/assignments/eman> 
                RFC-EDITOR: please check the location after IANA" 
            ::= { eoPowerEntry 8  } 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 36] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 

        eoPowerOperState OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          IANAPowerStateSet  
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 

                "This object specifies the current operational Power 
                State and the Power State Set for the Energy Object. 
                other(0) is not a Power State Set and unknown(255) is 
                not a Power State as such, but simply an indication that 
                the Power State of the Energy Object is unknown. 
                 
                Possible values of eoPowerAdminState within the Power 
                State Set are registered at IANA.   
                A current list of assignments can be found at 
                <http://www.iana.org/assignments/eman> 
                RFC-EDITOR: please check the location after IANA" 
                 
            ::= { eoPowerEntry 9    } 
      
        eoPowerStateEnterReason OBJECT-TYPE 
             SYNTAX     OwnerString 
             MAX-ACCESS read-write 
             STATUS     current 
             DESCRIPTION 
                "This string object describes the reason for the 
                eoPowerAdminState  
                transition Alternatively, this string may contain with 
                the entity that configured this Energy Object to this 
                Power State."  
             DEFVAL { "" } 
             ::= { eoPowerEntry 10   } 
      
        eoPowerStateTable OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          SEQUENCE OF EoPowerStateEntry  
            MAX-ACCESS      not-accessible 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "This table enumerates the maximum power usage, in watts, 
               for every single supported Power State of each Energy 
               Object. 
                
               This table has an expansion-dependent relationship on the 
               eoPowerTable, containing rows describing each Power State 
               for the corresponding Energy Object. For every Energy 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 37] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
               Object in the eoPowerTable, there is a corresponding 
               entry in this table." 
            ::= { energyObjectMIBObjects 3  } 
      
        eoPowerStateEntry OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          EoPowerStateEntry 
            MAX-ACCESS      not-accessible 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "A eoPowerStateEntry extends a corresponding 
               eoPowerEntry.  This entry displays max usage values at 
               every single possible Power State supported by the Energy 
               Object.  
               For example, given the values of a Energy Object  
               corresponding to a maximum usage of 0 W at the  
               state 1 (mechoff), 8 W at state 6 (ready), 11 W at state 
               9 (mediumMinus),and 11 W at state 12 (high): 
                
                    State         MaxUsage Units 
                     1 (mechoff       0       W            
                     2 (softoff)      0       W            
                     3 (hibernate)    0       W            
                     4 (sleep)        0       W            
                     5 (standby)      0       W            
                     6 (ready)        8       W           
                     7 (lowMinus)     8       W           
                     8 (low)         11       W   
                     9 (mediumMinus) 11       W 
                    10 (medium)      11       W    
                    11 (highMinus)   11       W 
                    12 (high)        11       W                 
                
               Furthermore, this table extends to return the total time 
               in each Power State, along with the number of times a 
               particular Power State was entered." 
                
                        INDEX   { entPhysicalIndex,                                 
                                  eoPowerStateIndex                    
                                }  
            ::= { eoPowerStateTable 1 } 
         
        EoPowerStateEntry ::= SEQUENCE { 
                eoPowerStateIndex                 IANAPowerStateSet,  
                eoPowerStateMaxPower              Integer32, 
                eoPowerStatePowerUnitMultiplier   UnitMultiplier,        
                eoPowerStateTotalTime             TimeTicks, 
                eoPowerStateEnterCount            Counter32 
        } 

TOM: Should this table have a StorageType object to indicate volitility state?

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 38] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 

        eoPowerStateIndex OBJECT-TYPE     
            SYNTAX          IANAPowerStateSet      
            MAX-ACCESS      not-accessible 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "  
                This object specifies the index of the Power State of 
                the Energy Object within a Power State Set. The 
                semantics of the specific Power State can be obtained 
                from the Power State Set definition." 
            ::= { eoPowerStateEntry 1 } 

        eoPowerStateMaxPower OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 
            UNITS           "Watts" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "This object indicates the maximum power for the Energy 
               Object at the particular Power State. This value is 
               specified in SI units of watts with the magnitude of the 
               units (milliwatts, kilowatts, etc.) indicated separately 
               in eoPowerStatePowerUnitMultiplier. If the maximum power 
               is not known for a certain Power State, then the value is 
               encoded as 0xFFFF. 
                
               For Power States not enumerated, the value of 
               eoPowerStateMaxPower might be interpolated by using the 
               next highest supported Power State."  
            ::= { eoPowerStateEntry 2  } 
         
        eoPowerStatePowerUnitMultiplier OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          UnitMultiplier  
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "The magnitude of watts for the usage value in 
               eoPowerStateMaxPower."  
            ::= { eoPowerStateEntry 3  } 
         
        eoPowerStateTotalTime OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX      TimeTicks 
            MAX-ACCESS  read-only 
            STATUS      current 
            DESCRIPTION 
              "This object indicates the total time in hundredth 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 39] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
              of second that the Energy Object has been in this power 
              state since the last reset, as specified in the 
              sysUpTime." 
            ::= { eoPowerStateEntry 4  } 
         
        eoPowerStateEnterCount OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX       Counter32 
            MAX-ACCESS   read-only 
            STATUS       current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "This object indicates how often the Energy  
                Object has 
                entered this power state, since the last reset of the 
                device as specified in the sysUpTime." 
            ::= { eoPowerStateEntry 5   } 

        eoEnergyParametersTable OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          SEQUENCE OF EoEnergyParametersEntry 
            MAX-ACCESS      not-accessible 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
              "This table is used to configure the parameters for 
              Energy measurement collection in the table  
              eoEnergyTable. This table allows the configuration of 
              different measurement settings on the same Energy Object. 
              Implementation of this table only sense for Energy 
              Objects that an eoPowerMeasurementCaliber of actual(3)."     
               ::= { energyObjectMIBObjects 4   } 

        eoEnergyParametersEntry OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          EoEnergyParametersEntry 
            MAX-ACCESS      not-accessible 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "An entry controls an energy measurement in 
               eoEnergyTable." 
            INDEX  { eoEnergyObjectIndex, eoEnergyParametersIndex }  
            ::= { eoEnergyParametersTable 1 } 
         
        EoEnergyParametersEntry ::= SEQUENCE { 
                eoEnergyObjectIndex                PhysicalIndex, 
                eoEnergyParametersIndex            Integer32, 
                eoEnergyParametersIntervalLength   TimeInterval, 
                eoEnergyParametersIntervalNumber   Integer32, 
                eoEnergyParametersIntervalMode     INTEGER, 
                eoEnergyParametersIntervalWindow   TimeInterval, 
                eoEnergyParametersSampleRate       Integer32, 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 40] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
                eoEnergyParametersStatus           RowStatus 
        } 
         
        eoEnergyObjectIndex OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          PhysicalIndex 
            MAX-ACCESS      not-accessible 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
              "The unique value, to identify the specific Energy Object 
              on which the measurement is applied, the same index used 
              in the eoPowerTable to identify the Energy Object." 
            ::= { eoEnergyParametersEntry 1 } 
         
        eoEnergyParametersIndex OBJECT-TYPE     
            SYNTAX           Integer32 (0..2147483647)    
            MAX-ACCESS       read-create 

TOM: This value should not be accessible as it is an index. Its max-access should be "not-accessible".

            STATUS           current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "This object specifies the index of the Energy 
                Parameters setting for collection of energy measurements 
                for an Energy Object. An Energy Object can have multiple 
                eoEnergyParametersIndex, depending on the capability of 
                the Energy Object" 
            ::= { eoEnergyParametersEntry 2 } 

TOM: Is the value of 0 as the index representative of some special state or value?  Generally we do not allow 0 as a value unless there is a good reason for this. 
         
        eoEnergyParametersIntervalLength OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          TimeInterval 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-create 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "This object indicates the length of time in hundredth of 
               seconds over which to compute the average 
               eoEnergyConsumed  measurement in the eoEnergyTable table. 
               The computation is based on the Energy Object's internal 
               sampling rate of power consumed or produced by the Energy 
               Object. The sampling rate is the rate at which the Energy 
               Object can read the power usage and may differ based on 
               device capabilities. The average energy consumption is 
               then computed over the length of the interval."  
            DEFVAL { 90000 } 
            ::= { eoEnergyParametersEntry 3 } 
         
        eoEnergyParametersIntervalNumber OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 

TOM: Should this be limited to positives only?

            MAX-ACCESS      read-create 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 41] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 

               "The number of intervals maintained in the eoEnergyTable. 
               Each interval is characterized by a specific 
               eoEnergyCollectionStartTime, used as an index to the 
               table eoEnergyTable. Whenever the maximum number of 
               entries is reached, the measurement over the new interval 
               replaces the oldest measurement. There is one exception 
               to this rule: when the eoEnergyMaxConsumed and/or 
               eoEnergyMaxProduced are in (one of) the two oldest 
               measurement(s), they are left untouched and the next 
               oldest measurement is replaced."         
               DEFVAL { 10 }  
          ::= { eoEnergyParametersEntry 4 } 
         
        eoEnergyParametersIntervalMode OBJECT-TYPE 
          SYNTAX          INTEGER  { 
                              period(1), 
                              sliding(2), 
                              total(3) 
                          } 
          MAX-ACCESS      read-create 
          STATUS          current 
          DESCRIPTION 
            "A control object to define the mode of interval calculation 
            for the computation of the average eoEnergyConsumed or 
            eoEnergyProvided  measurement in the eoEnergyTable table.    
               
              A mode of period(1) specifies non-overlapping periodic 
              measurements. 
             
              A mode of sliding(2) specifies overlapping sliding windows 
              where the interval between the start of one interval and 
              the next is defined in eoEnergyParametersIntervalWindow. 
             
              A mode of total(3) specifies non-periodic measurement.  In 
              this mode only one interval is used as this is a 
              continuous measurement since the last reset. The value of 
              eoEnergyParametersIntervalNumber should be (1) one and 
              eoEnergyParametersIntervalLength is ignored. "  
           ::= { eoEnergyParametersEntry 5 } 
         
        eoEnergyParametersIntervalWindow OBJECT-TYPE 
          SYNTAX          TimeInterval 
          MAX-ACCESS      read-create 
          STATUS          current 
          DESCRIPTION 
             "The length of the duration window between the starting 
             time of one sliding window and the next starting time in 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 42] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
             hundredth of seconds, in order to compute the average of 
             eoEnergyConsumed, eoEnergyProvided measurements in the 
             eoEnergyTable table. This is valid only when the 
             eoEnergyParametersIntervalMode is sliding(2). The 
             eoEnergyParametersIntervalWindow value should be a multiple 
             of eoEnergyParametersSampleRate." 
               ::= { eoEnergyParametersEntry 6 } 
         
        eoEnergyParametersSampleRate OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 

TOM: Should this be limited to positives only?

            UNITS           "Milliseconds" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-create 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "The sampling rate, in milliseconds, at which the  Energy 
               Object should poll power usage in order to compute the 
               average eoEnergyConsumed, eoEnergyProvided  measurements 
               in the table eoEnergyTable.  The Energy Object should 
               initially set this sampling rate to a reasonable value, 
               i.e., a compromise between intervals that will provide 
               good accuracy by not being too long, but not so short 
               that they affect the Energy Object performance by 
               requesting continuous polling. If the sampling rate is 
               unknown, the value 0 is reported. The sampling rate 
               should be selected so that 
               eoEnergyParametersIntervalWindow is a multiple of 
               eoEnergyParametersSampleRate." 
             DEFVAL { 1000 }  
            ::= { eoEnergyParametersEntry 7 } 
         
        eoEnergyParametersStatus OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          RowStatus 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-create 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
              "The status of this row. The eoEnergyParametersStatus is 
              used to start or stop energy usage logging. An entry 
              status may not be active(1) unless all objects in the 
              entry have an appropriate value.  If this object is not 
              equal to active(1), all associated usage-data logged into 
              the eoEnergyTable will be deleted. The data can be 
              destroyed by setting up the eoEnergyParametersStatus to 
              destroy(2)." 
            ::= {eoEnergyParametersEntry 8 } 
      
        eoEnergyTable OBJECT-TYPE 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 43] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
            SYNTAX          SEQUENCE OF EoEnergyEntry  
            MAX-ACCESS      not-accessible 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "This table lists Energy Object energy measurements.  
               Entries in this table are only created if the 
               corresponding value of object eoPowerMeasurementCaliber 
               is active(3), i.e., if the power is actually metered." 
            ::= { energyObjectMIBObjects 5   } 
         
        eoEnergyEntry OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          EoEnergyEntry 
            MAX-ACCESS      not-accessible 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "An entry describing energy measurements." 
            INDEX  { eoEnergyParametersIndex,       
        eoEnergyCollectionStartTime } 
            ::= { eoEnergyTable 1 } 

        EoEnergyEntry ::= SEQUENCE { 
             eoEnergyCollectionStartTime       TimeTicks, 
             eoEnergyConsumed                  Integer32,   
             eoEnergyProvided                  Integer32,  
             eoEnergyStored                    Integer32, 
             eoEnergyUnitMultiplier            UnitMultiplier, 
             eoEnergyAccuracy                  Integer32, 
             eoEnergyMaxConsumed               Integer32, 
             eoEnergyMaxProduced               Integer32, 
             eoEnergyDiscontinuityTime         TimeStamp  
        } 
         
        eoEnergyCollectionStartTime OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          TimeTicks 
            UNITS           "hundredths of seconds" 
            MAX-ACCESS      not-accessible 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "The time (in hundredths of a second) since the 
               network management portion of the system was last 
               re-initialized, as specified in the sysUpTime [RFC3418]. 
               This object specifies the start time of the energy 
               measurement sample. "  
            ::= { eoEnergyEntry 1 } 
      
        eoEnergyConsumed OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 

TOM: Should this be limited to positives only?
      
     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 44] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
            UNITS           "Watt-hours" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
        "This object indicates the energy consumed in units of watt-
        hours for the Energy Object over the defined interval.  
        This value is specified in the common billing units of watt-
        hours with the magnitude of watt-hours (kW-Hr, MW-Hr, etc.)  
        indicated separately in eoEnergyUnitMultiplier."  
            ::= { eoEnergyEntry 2 } 

        eoEnergyProvided OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 

TOM: Should this be limited to positives only?

            UNITS           "Watt-hours" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
        "This object indicates the energy produced in units of watt-
        hours for the Energy Object over the defined interval.  
        This value is specified in the common billing units of watt-
        hours with the magnitude of watt-hours (kW-Hr, MW-Hr, etc.)  
        indicated separately in eoEnergyUnitMultiplier."  
            ::= { eoEnergyEntry 3 } 
         
        eoEnergyStored OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 

TOM: Should this be limited to positives only?

            UNITS           "Watt-hours" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
        "This object indicates the resultant of the energy consumed and 
        energy produced for an Energy Object in units of watt-hours for  
        the Energy Object over the defined interval. This value is 
        specified in the common billing units of watt-hours  
        with the magnitude of watt-hours (kW-Hr, MW-Hr, etc.)  
        indicated separately in eoEnergyUnitMultiplier."  
            ::= { eoEnergyEntry 4 } 
         
        eoEnergyUnitMultiplier OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          UnitMultiplier 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "This object is the magnitude of watt-hours for the 
               energy field in eoEnergyConsumed, eoEnergyProvided, 
               eoEnergyStored, eoEnergyMaxConsumed, and 
               eoEnergyMaxProduced ."  

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 45] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
            ::= { eoEnergyEntry 5  } 

        eoEnergyAccuracy OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 (0..10000) 
            UNITS           "hundredths of percent" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
        "This object indicates a percentage value, in 100ths of a 
        percent, representing the presumed accuracy of Energy usage 
        reporting. eoEnergyAccuracy is applicable to all Energy 
        measurements in the  eoEnergyTable. 
         
        For example: 1010 means the reported usage is accurate to +/- 
        10.1 percent. 
        This value is zero if the accuracy is unknown." 
         
            ::= { eoEnergyEntry 6 } 
         
        eoEnergyMaxConsumed OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 

TOM: Should this be limited to positives only?

            UNITS           "Watt-hours" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "This object is the maximum energy ever observed in 
               eoEnergyConsumed since the monitoring started. This value 
               is specified in the common billing units of watt-hours 
               with the magnitude of watt-hours (kW-Hr,   MW-Hr, etc.) 
               indicated separately in eoEnergyUnitMultiplier."  
            ::= { eoEnergyEntry 7  } 

        eoEnergyMaxProduced OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 

TOM: Should this be a positive number only?

            UNITS           "Watt-hours" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "This object is the maximum energy ever observed in 
               eoEnergyEnergyProduced since the monitoring started. This 
               value is specified in the units of watt-hours with the 
               magnitude of watt-hours (kW-Hr,   MW-Hr, etc.) indicated 
               separately in eoEnergyEnergyUnitMultiplier."  
            ::= { eoEnergyEntry 8 } 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 46] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 

         eoEnergyDiscontinuityTime OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX       TimeStamp 
            MAX-ACCESS  read-only 
            STATUS      current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               
              "The value of sysUpTime [RFC3418] on the most recent 
              occasion at which any one or more of this entity's energy 
              counters in this table suffered a discontinuity:  
              eoEnergyConsumed, eoEnergyProvided or eoEnergyStored. If 
              no such discontinuities have occurred since the last re-
              initialization of the local management subsystem, then 
              this object contains a zero value." 
            ::= { eoEnergyEntry 9 } 
         
        -- Notifications 

        eoPowerEnableStatusNotification OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          TruthValue 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-write 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION        "This variable indicates whether the  
            system produces the following notifications: 

TOM: notifications -> notification  as there is only one.

             eoPowerStateChange. 
         
                A false value will prevent these notifications 
                from being generated." 
            DEFVAL          { false }  
            ::= { energyObjectMIBNotifs 1 } 

        eoPowerStateChange NOTIFICATION-TYPE 
            OBJECTS       {eoPowerAdminState, eoPowerOperState, 
        eoPowerStateEnterReason} 
            STATUS        current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "The SNMP entity generates the eoPowerStateChange when 
                the value(s) of eoPowerAdminState or eoPowerOperState,  
                in the context of the Power State Set, have changed for 
                the Energy Object represented by the entPhysicalIndex." 
           ::= { energyObjectMIBNotifs 2 } 
         
        -- Conformance 
         
        energyObjectMIBCompliances  OBJECT IDENTIFIER 
            ::= { energyObjectMIBConform 1 } 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 47] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 

        energyObjectMIBGroups  OBJECT IDENTIFIER 
            ::= { energyObjectMIBConform 2 } 

        energyObjectMIBFullCompliance MODULE-COMPLIANCE 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "When this MIB is implemented with support for 
                read-create, then such an implementation can  
                claim full compliance. Such devices can then  
                be both monitored and configured with this MIB. 
                  
                Module Compliance of [RFC6933] 
                with respect to entity4CRCompliance should  
                be supported which requires implementation  
                of 3 MIB objects (entPhysicalIndex,  
                entPhysicalName and entPhysicalUUID)." 
         
            MODULE          -- this module 
            MANDATORY-GROUPS { 
                        energyObjectMIBTableGroup, 
                        energyObjectMIBStateTableGroup, 
                        eoPowerEnableStatusNotificationGroup, 
                        energyObjectMIBNotifGroup 
                            } 
         
              GROUP     energyObjectMIBEnergyTableGroup  
         
                  DESCRIPTION "A compliant implementation does not  
                  have to implement.   
         
                  Module Compliance of [RFC6933]  
                  with respect to entity4CRCompliance should  
                  be supported which requires implementation  
                  of 3 MIB objects (entPhysicalIndex,  
                  entPhysicalName and entPhysicalUUID)." 

              GROUP    energyObjectMIBEnergyParametersTableGroup 
         
                  DESCRIPTION "A compliant implementation does not  
                  have to implement.  
         
                  Module Compliance of {RFC6933]  
                  with respect to entity4CRCompliance should  
                  be supported which requires implementation  
                  of 3 MIB objects (entPhysicalIndex,  

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 48] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
                  entPhysicalName and entPhysicalUUID)." 

             GROUP     energyObjectMIBMeterCapabilitiesTableGroup  
         
                  DESCRIPTION "A compliant implementation does not  
                  have to implement.  
         
                  Module Compliance of [RFC6933]  
                  with respect to entity4CRCompliance should  
                  be supported which requires implementation  
                  of 3 MIB objects (entPhysicalIndex,  
                  entPhysicalName and entPhysicalUUID)." 

            ::= { energyObjectMIBCompliances 1 } 
         
        energyObjectMIBReadOnlyCompliance MODULE-COMPLIANCE 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "When this MIB is implemented without support for 
                read-create (i.e. in read-only mode), then such an  
                implementation can claim read-only compliance.  Such a  
                device can then be monitored but cannot be  
                configured with this MIB.  
         
                Module Compliance of [RFC6933]  
                with respect to entity4CRCompliance should  
                be supported which requires implementation  
                of 3 MIB objects (entPhysicalIndex,  
                entPhysicalName and entPhysicalUUID)." 
         
            MODULE          -- this module 
            MANDATORY-GROUPS { 
                                energyObjectMIBTableGroup, 
                                energyObjectMIBStateTableGroup,   
                                energyObjectMIBNotifGroup 
                            } 
         
            OBJECT          eoPowerOperState 
            MIN-ACCESS      read-only 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "Write access is not required."  
            ::= { energyObjectMIBCompliances 2 } 
         
        -- Units of Conformance 
         
        energyObjectMIBTableGroup OBJECT-GROUP 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 49] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
            OBJECTS         { 
                                eoPower, 
                                eoPowerNameplate, 
                                eoPowerUnitMultiplier, 
                                eoPowerAccuracy,                         
                                eoPowerMeasurementCaliber, 
                                eoPowerCurrentType, 
                                eoPowerOrigin, 
                                eoPowerAdminState, 
                                eoPowerOperState,  
                                eoPowerStateEnterReason                              
                            }               
                    STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "This group contains the collection of all the objects 
                related to the Energy Object." 
            ::= { energyObjectMIBGroups 1 } 
         
        energyObjectMIBStateTableGroup OBJECT-GROUP 
               OBJECTS      { 
                                 eoPowerStateMaxPower, 
                                 eoPowerStatePowerUnitMultiplier, 
                                 eoPowerStateTotalTime,                        
                                 eoPowerStateEnterCount            
                            } 
                    STATUS          current 
                    DESCRIPTION 
                        "This group contains the collection of all the  
                        objects related to the Power State." 
                    ::= { energyObjectMIBGroups 2 } 

        energyObjectMIBEnergyParametersTableGroup OBJECT-GROUP 
            OBJECTS         { 
                                 
                                eoEnergyParametersIndex, 
                                eoEnergyParametersIntervalLength, 
                                eoEnergyParametersIntervalNumber, 
                                eoEnergyParametersIntervalMode, 
                                eoEnergyParametersIntervalWindow, 
                                eoEnergyParametersSampleRate, 
                                eoEnergyParametersStatus 
                            }     
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "This group contains the collection of all the objects 
                related to the configuration of the Energy Table." 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 50] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
            ::= { energyObjectMIBGroups 3 } 

        energyObjectMIBEnergyTableGroup OBJECT-GROUP 
            OBJECTS         { 
                                -- Note that object  
                                -- eoEnergyCollectionStartTime is not 
                                -- included since it is not-accessible 
         
                                eoEnergyConsumed, 
                                eoEnergyProvided, 
                                eoEnergyStored,  
                                eoEnergyUnitMultiplier, 
                                eoEnergyAccuracy,  
                                eoEnergyMaxConsumed, 
                                eoEnergyMaxProduced, 
                                eoEnergyDiscontinuityTime   
                            }     
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "This group contains the collection of all the objects 
                related to the Energy Table." 
            ::= { energyObjectMIBGroups 4 } 

        energyObjectMIBMeterCapabilitiesTableGroup OBJECT-GROUP 
            OBJECTS         { 
                                 eoMeterCapability   
                            }     
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "This group contains the object indicating the 
        capability of the Energy Object" 
            ::= { energyObjectMIBGroups 5 } 
         
        eoPowerEnableStatusNotificationGroup OBJECT-GROUP 
            OBJECTS         { eoPowerEnableStatusNotification  } 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION        "The collection of objects which are used 
                                to enable notification." 
            ::= { energyObjectMIBGroups 6 } 
             
        energyObjectMIBNotifGroup NOTIFICATION-GROUP 
           NOTIFICATIONS    { 
                                eoPowerStateChange 
                            } 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION    "This group contains the notifications for 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 51] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
                            the power and energy monitoring MIB Module." 
            ::= { energyObjectMIBGroups 7 } 

        END 

        -- ************************************************************ 
        --    
        -- This MIB module is used to monitor power attributes of  
        --  networked devices with measurements. 
        -- 
        -- This MIB module is an extension of energyObjectMIB module. 
        --    
        -- ************************************************************* 

        POWER-ATTRIBUTES-MIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN 
         
        IMPORTS 
            MODULE-IDENTITY, 
            OBJECT-TYPE, 
            mib-2, 
            Integer32    
               FROM SNMPv2-SMI 
            MODULE-COMPLIANCE, 
            OBJECT-GROUP 
                FROM SNMPv2-CONF 
            UnitMultiplier  
                FROM ENERGY-OBJECT-MIB 
            OwnerString 
                FROM RMON-MIB 
            entPhysicalIndex 
               FROM ENTITY-MIB;    
         
        powerAttributesMIB MODULE-IDENTITY 
             
            LAST-UPDATED    "201312130000Z"   -- 13 December 2013  
         
            ORGANIZATION    "IETF EMAN Working Group" 
            CONTACT-INFO 
                    "WG charter: 
                    http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/eman/charter/ 
         
                  Mailing Lists: 
                     General Discussion: [email-masked] 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 52] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
                     To Subscribe:  
                     https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman 

                     Archive:  
                     http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/eman 

                  Editors: 

                     Mouli Chandramouli 
                     Cisco Systems, Inc. 
                     Sarjapur Outer Ring Road 
                     Bangalore 560103 
                     IN 
                     Phone: +91 80 4429 2409  
                     Email: [email-masked] 

                     Benoit Claise 
                     Cisco Systems, Inc. 
                     De Kleetlaan 6a b1 
                     Degem 1831 
                     Belgium 
                     Phone:  +32 2 704 5622 
                     Email: [email-masked] 

                     Brad Schoening 
                     44 Rivers Edge Drive 
                     Little Silver, NJ 07739 
                     US 
                     Email: [email-masked] 

                     Juergen Quittek 
                     NEC Europe Ltd. 
                     NEC Laboratories Europe 
                     Network Research Division 
                     Kurfuersten-Anlage 36 
                     Heidelberg  69115 
                     DE 
                     Phone: +49 6221 4342-115 
                     Email: [email-masked] 

                     Thomas Dietz 
                     NEC Europe Ltd. 
                     NEC Laboratories Europe 
                     Network Research Division 
                     Kurfuersten-Anlage 36 
                     69115 Heidelberg 
                     DE 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 53] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
                     Phone: +49 6221 4342-128 
                     Email: [email-masked]" 

            DESCRIPTION 
                   "This MIB is used to report AC power attributes in 
                   devices. The table is a sparse augmentation of the 
                   eoPowerTable table from the energyObjectMIB module. 
                   Both three-phase and single-phase power 
                   configurations are supported.  
                    
                   As a requirement for this MIB module, 
                   [EMAN-AWARE-MIB] should be implemented.  
                     
                   Module Compliance of ENTITY-MIB v4 
                   with respect to entity4CRCompliance should  
                   be supported which requires implementation  
                   of 3 MIB objects (entPhysicalIndex,  
                   entPhysicalName and entPhysicalUUID)." 
         
            REVISION 
      
                   "201312130000Z"     -- 13 December 2013 
      
          DESCRIPTION 
               "Initial version, published as RFC YYY." 
         
           ::= { energyMIB 4 } 

        powerAttributesMIBConform  OBJECT IDENTIFIER 
            ::= { powerAttributesMIB 0 } 

        powerAttributesMIBObjects OBJECT IDENTIFIER 
            ::= { powerAttributesMIB 1 } 
         
        -- Objects 

        eoACPwrAttributesTable OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          SEQUENCE OF EoACPwrAttributesEntry 
            MAX-ACCESS      not-accessible 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "This table defines power attributes measurements for 
                supported entPhysicalIndex entities. It is a sparse 
                extension of the eoPowerTable." 
            ::= { powerAttributesMIBObjects 1 } 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 54] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 

        eoACPwrAttributesEntry OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          EoACPwrAttributesEntry 
            MAX-ACCESS      not-accessible 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "This is a sparse extension of the eoPowerTable with 
                entries for power attributes measurements or 
                configuration.  Each measured value corresponds to an 
                attribute in IEC 61850-7-4 for non-phase measurements 
                within the object MMUX." 
             
        INDEX {entPhysicalIndex } 
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesTable 1 } 
         
        EoACPwrAttributesEntry ::= SEQUENCE { 
            eoACPwrAttributesConfiguration       INTEGER,    
            eoACPwrAttributesAvgVoltage          Integer32, 
            eoACPwrAttributesAvgCurrent          Integer32, 
            eoACPwrAttributesFrequency           Integer32, 
            eoACPwrAttributesPowerUnitMultiplier UnitMultiplier, 
            eoACPwrAttributesPowerAccuracy       Integer32, 
            eoACPwrAttributesTotalActivePower    Integer32, 
            eoACPwrAttributesTotalReactivePower  Integer32, 
            eoACPwrAttributesTotalApparentPower  Integer32, 
            eoACPwrAttributesTotalPowerFactor    Integer32,  
            eoACPwrAttributesThdAmpheres         Integer32, 
            eoACPwrAttributesThdVoltage          Integer32 
        } 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesConfiguration OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX INTEGER {  
                sngl(1),  
                del(2),  
                wye(3) 
                           } 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                 "Configuration describes the physical configurations 
                 of the power supply lines: 
                  
                    * alternating current, single phase (SNGL) 
                    * alternating current, three phase delta (DEL) 
                    * alternating current, three phase Y (WYE) 
                  
                 Three-phase configurations can be either connected in 
                 a triangular delta (DEL) or star Y (WYE) system.  WYE 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 55] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
                 systems have a shared neutral voltage, while DEL 
                 systems do not.  Each phase is offset 120 degrees to 
                 each other." 
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesEntry 1 } 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesAvgVoltage OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 
            UNITS           "0.1 Volt AC" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "A measured value for average of the voltage measured 
                over an integral number of AC cycles   For a 3-phase 
                system, this is the average voltage (V1+V2+V3)/3.  IEC 
                61850-7-4 measured value attribute 'Vol'" 
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesEntry 2 } 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesAvgCurrent OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 

TOM: Should this be limited to positive numbers only? I can't see how you could have negative avg amps.

            UNITS           "Ampheres" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "A measured value of the current per phase. IEC 61850-
                7-4 attribute 'Amp'" 
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesEntry 3 } 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesFrequency OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 (4500..6500) -- UNITS 0.01 Hertz 
            UNITS           "hertz" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "A measured value for the basic frequency of the AC 
                circuit.  IEC 61850-7-4 attribute 'Hz'." 
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesEntry 4 } 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesPowerUnitMultiplier OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          UnitMultiplier 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "The magnitude of watts for the usage value in 
                eoACPwrAttributesTotalActivePower, 
                eoACPwrAttributesTotalReactivePower  
                and eoACPwrAttributesTotalApparentPower measurements.   
                For 3-phase power systems, this will also include  

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 56] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
                eoACPwrAttributesPhaseActivePower, 
                eoACPwrAttributesPhaseReactivePower and 
                eoACPwrAttributesPhaseApparentPower"  
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesEntry 5 } 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesPowerAccuracy OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 (0..10000) 
            UNITS           "hundredths of percent" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "This object indicates a percentage value, in 100ths of 
                a percent, representing the presumed accuracy of 
                active, reactive, and apparent power usage reporting. 
                For example: 1010 means the reported usage is accurate 
                to +/- 10.1 percent.  This value is zero if the 
                accuracy is unknown. 
                 
                ANSI and IEC define the following accuracy classes for 
                power measurement: IEC 62053-22 & 60044-1 class 0.1, 
                0.2, 0.5, 1 & 3. 
                ANSI C12.20 class 0.2 & 0.5" 
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesEntry 6 } 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesTotalActivePower OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 

TOM: Should this be limited to positives only?

            UNITS           " watts" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "A measured value of the actual power delivered to or 
                consumed by the load.  IEC 61850-7-4 attribute 'TotW'." 
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesEntry 7 } 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesTotalReactivePower OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 

TOM: Should this be limited to positive numbers only? I can't see how you could have negative amps.

            UNITS           "volt-amperes reactive" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "A mesured value of the reactive portion of the 
                apparent power.  IEC 61850-7-4 attribute 'TotVAr'." 
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesEntry 8 } 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesTotalApparentPower OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32  

TOM: Should this be limited to positive numbers only? I can't see how you could have negative amps.

            UNITS           "volt-amperes" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 57] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "A measured value of the voltage and current which 
                determines the apparent power.  The apparent power is 
                the vector sum of real and reactive power.  
                  
                Note: watts and volt-ampheres are equivalent units and 
                may be combined.  IEC 61850-7-4 attribute 'TotVA'." 
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesEntry 9 } 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesTotalPowerFactor OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 (-10000..10000) 
            UNITS           "hundredths of percent" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "A measured value ratio of the real power flowing to 
                the load versus the apparent power. It is dimensionless 
                and expressed here as a percentage value in 100ths of a 
                percent. A power factor of 100% indicates there is no 
                inductance load and thus no reactive power. Power 
                Factor can be positive or negative, where the sign 
                should be in lead/lag (IEEE) form.  IEC 61850-7-4 
                attribute 'TotPF'." 
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesEntry 10 } 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesThdAmpheres OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 (0..10000) 
            UNITS           "hundredths of percent" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "A calculated value for the current total harmonic 
                distortion (THD).  Method of calculation is not 
                specified.  IEC 61850-7-4 attribute 'ThdAmp'." 
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesEntry 11 } 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesThdVoltage OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 (0..10000) 
            UNITS           "hundredths of percent" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "A calculated value for the voltage total harmonic 
                distortion (THD).  Method of calculation is not 
                specified.  IEC 61850-7-4 attribute 'ThdVol'." 
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesEntry 12 } 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 58] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
        eoACPwrAttributesPhaseTable OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          SEQUENCE OF EoACPwrAttributesPhaseEntry 
            MAX-ACCESS      not-accessible 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "This table describes 3-phase power attributes 
                measurements.  It is a sparse extension of the 
                eoACPwrAttributesTable." 
            ::= { powerAttributesMIBObjects 2 } 

        eoACPwrAttributesPhaseEntry OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          EoACPwrAttributesPhaseEntry 
            MAX-ACCESS      not-accessible 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "An entry describes common 3-phase power attributes 
                measurements. 
                 
                This optional table describes 3-phase power attributes 
                measurements, with three entries for each supported 
                entPhysicalIndex entity.  Entities having single phase 
                power shall not have any entities.  
                 
                This table describes attributes common to both WYE and 
                DEL.  Entities having single phase power shall not have 
                any entries here.  It is a sparse extension of the 
                eoACPwrAttributesTable.   
                 
                These attributes correspond to IEC 61850-7.4 MMXU phase 
                measurements." 
            INDEX { entPhysicalIndex, eoPhaseIndex } 
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesPhaseTable 1 } 
         
        EoACPwrAttributesPhaseEntry ::= SEQUENCE { 
                eoPhaseIndex                    Integer32, 
                eoACPwrAttributesPhaseAvgCurrent      Integer32, 
                eoACPwrAttributesPhaseActivePower    Integer32, 
                eoACPwrAttributesPhaseReactivePower   Integer32, 
                eoACPwrAttributesPhaseApparentPower   Integer32, 
                eoACPwrAttributesPhasePowerFactor      Integer32,      
                eoACPwrAttributesPhaseImpedance       Integer32   
                } 
         
        eoPhaseIndex OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 (0..359) 
            MAX-ACCESS      not-accessible 
            STATUS          current 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 59] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
            DESCRIPTION 
               "A phase angle typically corresponding to 0, 120, 240." 
             ::= { eoACPwrAttributesPhaseEntry 1 } 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesPhaseAvgCurrent OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 

TOM: Should this be limited to positives only? Can't have negative current.

            UNITS           "Ampheres" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "A measured value of the current per phase. IEC 61850-
                7-4 attribute 'A'" 
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesPhaseEntry 2 } 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesPhaseActivePower OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 

TOM: Should this be limited to positives only?

            UNITS           " watts" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "A measured value of the actual power delivered to or 
                consumed by the load. IEC 61850-7-4 attribute 'W'" 
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesPhaseEntry 3 } 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesPhaseReactivePower OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 

TOM: Should this be limited to positives only?

            UNITS           "volt-amperes reactive" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "A measured value of the reactive portion of the 
                apparent power.  IEC 61850-7-4 attribute 'VAr'" 
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesPhaseEntry 4 } 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesPhaseApparentPower OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32  

TOM: Should this be limited to positives only?

            UNITS           "volt-amperes" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "A measured value of the voltage and current determines 
                the apparent power.  Active plus reactive power equals 
                the total apparent power. 
                  
                Note: Watts and volt-ampheres are equivalent units and 
                may be combined.  IEC 61850-7-4 attribute 'VA'." 
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesPhaseEntry 5 } 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 60] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
        eoACPwrAttributesPhasePowerFactor OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 (-10000..10000) 
            UNITS           "hundredths of percent" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "A measured value ratio of the real power flowing to 
                the load versus the apparent power for this phase.  IEC 
                61850-7-4 attribute 'PF'. Power Factor can be positive 
                or negative where the sign should be in lead/lag (IEEE) 
                form." 
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesPhaseEntry 6 } 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesPhaseImpedance OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32  

TOM: Should this be limited to positives only?

            UNITS           "volt-amperes" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
        "A measured value of the impedance.  IEC 61850-7-4 attribute 
        'Z'." 
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesPhaseEntry 7 } 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesDelPhaseTable OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          SEQUENCE OF EoACPwrAttributesDelPhaseEntry  
            MAX-ACCESS      not-accessible 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "This table describes DEL configuration phase-to-phase 
               power attributes measurements.  This is a sparse 
               extension of the eoACPwrAttributesPhaseTable." 
            ::= { powerAttributesMIBObjects 3 } 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesDelPhaseEntry OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          EoACPwrAttributesDelPhaseEntry 
            MAX-ACCESS      not-accessible 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "An entry describes  power attributes attributes of a 
               phase in a DEL 3-phase power system.  Voltage 
               measurements are provided both relative to each other 
               and zero. 
                
               Measured values are from IEC 61850-7-2 MMUX and THD from 
               MHAI objects. 

      
     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 61] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
               For phase-to-phase measurements, the eoPhaseIndex is 
               compared against the following phase at +120 degrees.  
               Thus, the possible values are: 
                
                             eoPhaseIndex        Next Phase Angle 
                                   0                 120 
                                 120                 240 
                                 240                   0    
               " 
            INDEX { entPhysicalIndex, eoPhaseIndex} 
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesDelPhaseTable 1} 
         
        EoACPwrAttributesDelPhaseEntry ::= SEQUENCE { 
            eoACPwrAttributesDelPhaseToNextPhaseVoltage      Integer32, 
            eoACPwrAttributesDelThdPhaseToNextPhaseVoltage   Integer32, 
            eoACPwrAttributesDelThdCurrent                  Integer32 
        } 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesDelPhaseToNextPhaseVoltage OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 

TOM: Should this be limited to positives only?

            UNITS           "0.1 Volt AC" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "A measured value of phase to next phase voltages, where 
               the next phase is IEC 61850-7-4 attribute 'PPV'." 
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesDelPhaseEntry 2 } 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesDelThdPhaseToNextPhaseVoltage OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 (0..10000) 

TOM: Should this be limited to positives only?

            UNITS           "hundredths of percent" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "A calculated value for the voltage total harmonic 
               disortion for phase to next phase. Method of calculation 
               is not specified.  IEC 61850-7-4 attribute 'ThdPPV'." 
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesDelPhaseEntry 3 } 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesDelThdCurrent OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 (0..10000) 
            UNITS           "hundredths of percent" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
          DESCRIPTION  
               "A calculated value for the voltage total harmonic 
               disortion (THD) for phase to phase.  Method of 
               calculation is not specified.   

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 62] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
               IEC 61850-7-4 attribute 'ThdPPV'." 
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesDelPhaseEntry 4 } 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesWyePhaseTable OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          SEQUENCE OF EoACPwrAttributesWyePhaseEntry  
            MAX-ACCESS      not-accessible 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "This table describes WYE configuration phase-to-neutral 
               power attributes measurements.  This is a sparse 
               extension of the eoACPwrAttributesPhaseTable." 
            ::= { powerAttributesMIBObjects 4 } 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesWyePhaseEntry OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          EoACPwrAttributesWyePhaseEntry 
            MAX-ACCESS      not-accessible 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "This table describes measurements of WYE configuration 

TOM: would be nice to decode WHY for the reader.

               with phase to neutral power attributes attributes. Three 
               entries are required for each supported entPhysicalIndex 
               entry.  Voltage measurements are relative to neutral. 
                
               This is a sparse extension of the 
               eoACPwrAttributesPhaseTable. 
                
               Each entry describes power attributes attributes of one 
               phase of a WYE 3-phase power system. 
                
               Measured values are from IEC 61850-7-2 MMUX and THD from 
               MHAI objects." 
            INDEX {  entPhysicalIndex, eoPhaseIndex } 
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesWyePhaseTable 1} 
         
        EoACPwrAttributesWyePhaseEntry ::= SEQUENCE { 
             eoACPwrAttributesWyePhaseToNeutralVoltage  Integer32, 
             eoACPwrAttributesWyePhaseCurrent                Integer32, 
             eoACPwrAttributesWyeThdPhaseToNeutralVoltage    Integer32 
        } 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesWyePhaseToNeutralVoltage OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 
            UNITS           "0.1 Volt AC" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "A measured value of phase to neutral voltage.  IEC 
               61850-7-4 attribute 'PhV'." 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 63] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesWyePhaseEntry 1 } 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesWyePhaseCurrent OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 
            UNITS           "0.1 ampheres AC" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "A measured value of phase currents.  IEC 61850-7-4 
               attribute 'A'." 
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesWyePhaseEntry 2 } 
         
        eoACPwrAttributesWyeThdPhaseToNeutralVoltage OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          Integer32 (0..10000) 
            UNITS           "hundredths of percent" 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "A calculated value of the voltage total harmonic 
               distortion (THD) for phase to neutral. IEC 61850-7-4 
               attribute 'ThdPhV'." 
            ::= { eoACPwrAttributesWyePhaseEntry 3 } 
         
        -- Conformance 

        powerAttributesMIBCompliances  OBJECT IDENTIFIER 
            ::= { powerAttributesMIB 2 } 
         
        powerAttributesMIBGroups  OBJECT IDENTIFIER 
            ::= { powerAttributesMIB 3 } 

        powerAttributesMIBFullCompliance MODULE-COMPLIANCE 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
            "When this MIB is implemented with support for read-create,    
             then such an implementation can claim full compliance.  
             Such devices can then be both monitored and configured with  
             this MIB.  
      
             Module Compliance of [RFC6933] with respect to 
             entity4CRCompliance should be supported which requires 
             implementation of 3 MIB objects (entPhysicalIndex, 
             entPhysicalName and entPhysicalUUID)." 

            MODULE          -- this module 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 64] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
            MANDATORY-GROUPS { 
                             powerACPwrAttributesMIBTableGroup 
                                      } 

            GROUP        powerACPwrAttributesOptionalMIBTableGroup 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "A compliant implementation does not have  
               to implement." 

            GROUP       powerACPwrAttributesPhaseMIBTableGroup 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "A compliant implementation does not have to 
               implement." 
         
            GROUP       powerACPwrAttributesDelPhaseMIBTableGroup      
            DESCRIPTION 
                "A compliant implementation does not have to 
               implement." 
         
            GROUP       powerACPwrAttributesWyePhaseMIBTableGroup 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "A compliant implementation does not have to 
               implement." 

            ::= { powerAttributesMIBCompliances 1 } 

        -- Units of Conformance 
         
        powerACPwrAttributesMIBTableGroup OBJECT-GROUP 
            OBJECTS         { 
                         -- Note that object entPhysicalIndex is NOT  
                         -- included since it is not-accessible 
          
                                eoACPwrAttributesAvgVoltage, 
                                eoACPwrAttributesAvgCurrent, 
                                eoACPwrAttributesFrequency, 
                                eoACPwrAttributesPowerUnitMultiplier, 
                                eoACPwrAttributesPowerAccuracy, 
                                eoACPwrAttributesTotalActivePower, 
                                eoACPwrAttributesTotalReactivePower, 
                                eoACPwrAttributesTotalApparentPower, 
                                eoACPwrAttributesTotalPowerFactor 
                                                    }     

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 65] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "This group contains the collection of all the power 
               attributes objects related to the Energy Object." 
            ::= { powerAttributesMIBGroups  1 } 
         
         powerACPwrAttributesOptionalMIBTableGroup OBJECT-GROUP 
            OBJECTS         { 
                                eoACPwrAttributesConfiguration, 
                                eoACPwrAttributesThdAmpheres, 
                                eoACPwrAttributesThdVoltage 
                            }     
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "This group contains the collection of all the power 
               attributes objects related to the Energy Object." 
            ::= { powerAttributesMIBGroups  2 } 

        powerACPwrAttributesPhaseMIBTableGroup OBJECT-GROUP 
            OBJECTS         { 
                                -- Note that object entPhysicalIndex is   
                                -- NOT included since it is  
                                -- not-accessible 
                              eoACPwrAttributesPhaseAvgCurrent, 
                              eoACPwrAttributesPhaseActivePower, 
                              eoACPwrAttributesPhaseReactivePower, 
                              eoACPwrAttributesPhaseApparentPower, 
                              eoACPwrAttributesPhasePowerFactor,  
                              eoACPwrAttributesPhaseImpedance     
                            } 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "This group contains the collection of all 3-phase power 
               attributes objects related to the Power State." 
            ::= { powerAttributesMIBGroups  3  } 
         
        powerACPwrAttributesDelPhaseMIBTableGroup OBJECT-GROUP 
            OBJECTS         { 
                            -- Note that object entPhysicalIndex and  
                            -- eoPhaseIndex are NOT included 
                            -- since they are not-accessible 
                       eoACPwrAttributesDelPhaseToNextPhaseVoltage , 
                       eoACPwrAttributesDelThdPhaseToNextPhaseVoltage, 
                       eoACPwrAttributesDelThdCurrent 
                            } 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 66] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
                "This group contains the collection of all power 
                characteristic attributes of a phase in a DEL 3-phase 
                power system." 
            ::= { powerAttributesMIBGroups  4  } 
         
        powerACPwrAttributesWyePhaseMIBTableGroup OBJECT-GROUP 
            OBJECTS         { 
                               -- Note that object entPhysicalIndex and  
                               -- eoPhaseIndex are NOT included 
                               -- since they are not-accessible 
                       eoACPwrAttributesWyePhaseToNeutralVoltage, 
                       eoACPwrAttributesWyePhaseCurrent, 
                       eoACPwrAttributesWyeThdPhaseToNeutralVoltage 
                            } 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "This group contains the collection of all WYE 
                configuration phase-to-neutral power attributes 
                measurements." 
            ::= { powerAttributesMIBGroups  5  } 

        END 

      
     IANA-POWERSTATE-SET-MIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN 
          IMPORTS 
            MODULE-IDENTITY, mib-2 
                      FROM SNMPv2-SMI 
            TEXTUAL-CONVENTION 
                FROM SNMPv2-TC; 
         
          ianaPowerStateSetMIB MODULE-IDENTITY 
            LAST-UPDATED "201312130000Z"  -- December 13, 2013 
            ORGANIZATION "IANA" 
            CONTACT-INFO "         
                          Internet Assigned Numbers Authority 
                          Postal: ICANN 
                          4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330 
                          Marina del Rey, CA 90292 
                          Tel: +1-310-823-9358 
                          EMail: iana&iana.org" 

      
     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 67] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
            DESCRIPTION 
             "This MIB module defines a TEXTUAL-CONVENTION that 
              describes the relationships between Energy Objects. 
      
              Copyright (C) The IETF Trust (2013). 
      
              The initial version of this MIB module was published in 
              RFC YYY; for full legal notices see the RFC itself. 
              Supplementary information may be available at 
              http://www.ietf.org/copyrights/ianamib.html" 

            REVISION     "201312130000Z"  -- December 13, 2013 
            DESCRIPTION  "Initial version of this MIB as published in 
                          RFC YYY."        
            ::= { energyMIB 5 } 
         
          -- RFC Editor, please replace YYY with the IANA allocation 
          -- for this MIB module and YYY with the number of the   
          -- approved RFC 
         
          -- Textual Conventions  

     IANAPowerStateSet::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION  
         STATUS     current  
         DESCRIPTION  
      
               "IANAPowerState is a textual convention that describes   
         Power State Sets and Power State Set Values an Energy Object  
         supports. IANA has created a registry of Power State supported 
         by an Energy Object and IANA shall administer the list of  
         Power State Sets and Power States. 
      
          The textual convention assumes that Power States in a power 
          state set are limited to 255 distinct values. For a Power 
          State Set S, the named number with the value S * 256 is 
          allocated to indicate the Power State set. For a Power State X 
          in the Power State S, the named number with the value S * 256 
          + X + 1 is allocated to represent the Power State." 
                      
         REFERENCE  
            "http://www.iana.org/assignments/eman  
      
             RFC EDITOR NOTE: please change the previous URL if this is  
             not the correct one after IANA assigned it."  
                    
         SYNTAX      INTEGER { 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 68] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 

                           other(0),        -- indicates other set 
                           unknown(255),    -- unknown  
       
                           ieee1621(256), -- indicates IEEE1621 set 
                           ieee1621On(257), 
                           ieee1621Off(258), 
                           ieee1621Sleep(259), 
       
                           dmtf(512),   -- indicates DMTF set 
                           dmtfOn(513), 
                           dmtfSleepLight(514), 
                           dmtfSleepDeep(515), 
                           dmtfOffHard(516), 
                           dmtfOffSoft(517), 
                           dmtfHibernate(518), 
                           dmtfPowerOffSoft(519), 
                           dmtfPowerOffHard(520), 
                           dmtfMasterBusReset(521), 
                           dmtfDiagnosticInterrapt(522), 
                           dmtfOffSoftGraceful(523), 
                           dmtfOffHardGraceful(524), 
                           dmtfMasterBusResetGraceful(525), 
                           dmtfPowerCycleOffSoftGraceful(526), 
                           dmtfPowerCycleHardGraceful(527), 
      
                           eman(1024),       -- indicates EMAN set 
                           emanmechoff(1025), 
                           emansoftoff(1026),      
                           emanhibernate(1027),    
                           emansleep(1028), 
                           emanstandby(1029), 
                           emanready(1030),   
                           emanlowMinus(1031),     
                           emanlow(1032), 
                           emanmediumMinus(1033), 
                           emanmedium(1034),  
                           emanhighMinus(1035),    
                           emanhigh(1036)                         
                       } 
      
     END 

     11. Implementation Status  

      
     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 69] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
        [Note to RFC Editor: Please remove this section and the 
        reference to [RFC6982] before publication.] 
         
        This section records the status of known implementations of the 
        EMAN-Monitoring MIB at the time of posting of this Internet-
        Draft, and is based on a proposal described in [RFC6982]. 
            
        The description of implementations in this section is intended 
        to assist the IETF in its decision processes in progressing 
        drafts to RFCs.   
         
     11.1. SNMP Research  

             Organization:     SNMP Research, Inc. 
         
             Maturity:   Prototype based upon early drafts of the MIBs.  
                         We anticipate updating it to more recent  
                         documents as development schedules allow. 
         
             Coverage:   Code was generated to implement all MIB objects  
                         in ENTITY-MIB (Version 4),  
                         ENERGY-OBJECT-CONTEXT-MIB, 
                         ENERGY-OBJECT-MIB, 
                         POWER-ATTRIBUTES-MIB,  
                         and BATTERY-MIB. 
         
             Implementation experience: The documents are implementable. 
         
             Comments:   Technical comments about the  
                         ENERGY-OBJECT-CONTEXT-MIB, 
                         ENERGY-OBJECT-MIB, and  
                         BATTERY-MIB  
                         were submitted to the EMAN Working Group  
                         E-mail list.  
         
             Licensing:  Proprietary, royalty licensing 
         
             Contact:    Alan Luchuk, luchuk at snmp.com 
         
             URL:        http://www.snmp.com/ 

     11.2. Cisco Systems 

             Organization:     Cisco Systems, Inc. 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 70] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
             Maturity:   Prototype based upon early version drafts of  
                         the MIBs. We anticipate updating the MIB  
                         modules as when the drafts are updated.  
         
             Coverage:   Code was generated to implement all MIB objects 
                         in the ENTITY-MIB (Version 4), and  
                         ENERGY-OBJECT-MIB. 
                          
             Implementation experience:  The MIB modules are implemented 
                         on Cisco router platforms to measure and report 
                         router energy measurements. The documents are  
                         implementable. 
         
             Licensing:  Proprietary  
         
             URL:        http://www.cisco.com  

     12. Security Considerations 

        Some of the readable objects in these MIB modules (i.e., objects 
        with a MAX-ACCESS other than not-accessible) may be considered 
        sensitive or vulnerable in some network environments.  It is 
        thus important to control even GET and/or NOTIFY access to these 
        objects and possibly to even encrypt the values of these objects 
        when sending them over the network via SNMP.   
         
        There are a number of management objects defined in these MIB 
        modules with a MAX-ACCESS clause of read-write and/or read-
        create.  Such objects MAY be considered sensitive or vulnerable 
        in some network environments.  The support for SET operations in 
        a non-secure environment without proper protection can have a 
        negative effect on network operations.  The following are the 
        tables and objects and their sensitivity/vulnerability: 
         
        - Unauthorized changes to the eoPowerOperState (via 
          theeoPowerAdminState ) MAY disrupt the power settings of the 
          differentEnergy Objects, and therefore the state of 
          functionality of the respective Energy Objects. 
        - Unauthorized changes to the eoEnergyParametersTable MAY 
          disrupt energy measurement in the eoEnergyTable table.  
         
        SNMP versions prior to SNMPv3 did not include adequate security. 
        Even if the network itself is secure (for example, by using 
        IPsec), there is still no secure control over who on the secure 
        network is allowed to access and GET/SET 
        (read/change/create/delete) the objects in these MIB modules. 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 71] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
        It is RECOMMENDED that implementers consider the security 
        features as provided by the SNMPv3 framework (see [RFC3410], 
        section 8), including full support for the SNMPv3 cryptographic 
        mechanisms (for authentication and privacy). 
         
        Further, deployment of SNMP versions prior to SNMPv3 is NOT 
        RECOMMENDED.  Instead, it is RECOMMENDED to deploy SNMPv3 and to 
        enable cryptographic security.  It is then a customer/operator 
        responsibility to ensure that the SNMP entity giving access to 
        an instance of these MIB modules is properly configured to give 
        access to the objects only to those principals (users) that have 
        legitimate rights to GET or SET (change/create/delete) them. 

     13. IANA Considerations 

        Additions to the ENERGY-OBJECT-MIB MIB and POWER-ATTRIBUTES-MIB 
        MIB modules are subject to Expert Review [RFC5226], i.e., review 
        by one of a group of experts designated by an IETF Area 
        Director.  The group of experts MUST check the requested MIB 
        objects for completeness and accuracy of the description.  
        Requests for MIB objects that duplicate the functionality of 
        existing objects SHOULD be declined.  The smallest available 
        OIDs SHOULD be assigned to the new MIB objects.  The 
        specification of new MIB objects SHOULD follow the structure 
        specified in Section 10. and MUST be published using a well-

TOM: The period after 10 is unnecessary.

        established and persistent publication medium.   

     13.1. IANA Registration of new Power State Set 

        The initial set of Power State Sets are specified in [EMAN-
        FMWK]. IANA maintains a Textual Convention IANAPowerStateSet 
        with the initial set of Power State Sets and the Power States 
        within those Power State Sets as proposed in the [EMAN-FMWK]. 
        The current version of IANAPowerStateSet Textual convention can 
        be accessed http://www.iana.org/assignments/IANAPowerStateSet. 

        New Assignments (and potential deprecation) to Power State Sets 
        shall be administered by   IANA and the guidelines and 
        procedures are specified in [EMAN-FMWK], and will, as a 
        consequence, the IANAPowerStateSet Textual Convention should be 
        updated.  

     13.1.1. IANA Registration of the IEEE1621 Power State Set 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 72] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
        The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has created a new 
        registry for IEEE1621 Power State Set identifiers and filled it 
        with the initial list in the Textual Convention 
        IANAPowerStateSet.  

        Guidelines for new assignments (or potentially deprecation) for 
        IEEE1621 Power State Set are specified in [EMAN-FMWK]. 

     13.1.2. IANA Registration of the DMTF Power State Set 

        The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has created a new 
        registry for DMTF Power State Set identifiers and filled it in 
        the Textual Convention IANAPowerStateSet. 

        Guidelines for new assignments (or potentially deprecation) for 
        DMTF Power State Set are specified in [EMAN-FMWK]. 

     13.1.3. IANA Registration of the EMAN Power State Set 

        The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has created a new 
        registry for EMAN Power State Set identifiers and filled it in 
        the Textual Convention IANAPowerStateSet. 

        Guidelines for new assignments (or potentially deprecation) for 
        EMAN Power State Set are specified in [EMAN-FMWK]. 

     14. Contributors 

        This document results from the merger of two initial proposals. 
        The following persons made significant contributions either in 
        one of the initial proposals or in this document. 
         
        John Parello 
         
        Rolf Winter 
         
        Dominique Dudkowski 

     12. Acknowledgment 

        The authors would like to thank Shamita Pisal for her prototype 
        of this MIB module, and her valuable feedback.  The authors 
        would like to Michael Brown for improving the text dramatically. 

      
     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 73] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
        The authors would like to thank Juergen Schoenwalder for 
        proposing the design of the Textual Convention for 
        IANAPowerStateSet and Ira McDonald for his feedback. Thanks for 
        the many comments on the design of the EnergyTable from Minoru 
        Teraoka and Hiroto Ogaki. 
         
        Many thanks to Alan Luchuk for the detailed review of the MIB 
        and his comments. 
         
        And finally, thanks to the EMAN chairs: Nevil Brownlee and Tom 
        Nadeau. 

     13. References 

      13.1. Normative References 

        [RFC2119] S. Bradner, Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate 
                Requirement Levels, BCP 14, RFC 2119, March 1997. 
         
        [RFC2578]  McCloghrie, K., Ed., Perkins, D., Ed., and J. 
                Schoenwaelder, Ed., "Structure of Management 
                Information Version 2 (SMIv2)", STD 58, RFC 2578, April 
                1999. 
         
        [RFC2579]  McCloghrie, K., Ed., Perkins, D., Ed., and J. 
                Schoenwaelder, Ed., "Textual Conventions for SMIv2", 
                STD 58, RFC 2579, April 1999. 
         
        [RFC2580]  McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., and J. Schoenwaelder, 
                "Conformance Statements for SMIv2", STD 58, RFC 2580, 
                April 1999. 
      
        [RFC3621] Berger, A., and D. Romascanu, "Power Ethernet MIB", 
                RFC3621, December 2003. 
      
        [RFC4133]  Bierman, A. and K. McCloghrie, "Entity MIB (Version 
                3)", RFC 4133, August 2005. 
      
        [EMAN-AWARE-MIB] J. Parello, B. Claise and M. Chandramoili, 
                "draft-ietf-eman-energy-aware-mib-11 ", work in 
                progress, November 2013. 
         
        [LLDP-MED-MIB]  ANSI/TIA-1057, "The LLDP Management Information 
                Base extension module for TIA-TR41.4 media endpoint 
                discovery information", July 2005. 

      
     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 74] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 

      13.2. Informative References 

        [RFC1628] S. Bradner, "UPS Management Information Base", RFC 
                1628, May 1994  
         
        [RFC3410]  Case, J., Mundy, R., Partain, D., and B. Stewart, 
                "Introduction and Applicability Statements for Internet 
                Standard Management Framework ", RFC 3410, December 
                2002. 
          
        [RFC3418]  Presun, R., Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M, and S. 
                Waldbusser, "Management Information Base (MIB) for the 
                Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)", RFC3418, 
                December 2002. 
         
        [RFC3433]  Bierman, A., Romascanu, D., and K. Norseth, "Entity 
                Sensor Management Information Base", RFC 3433, December 
                2002. 
         
        [RFC4268]  Chisholm, S. and D. Perkins, "Entity State MIB", RFC 
                4268, November 2005. 
         
        [RFC5226]  Narten, T. Alverstrand, H., A. and K. McCloghrie, 
                "Guidelines for Writing an IANA Considerations Section 
                in RFCs ", BCP 26, RFC 5226, May 2008. 
         
        [RFC6933] A. Bierman, D. Romascanu, J. Quittek and M. 
                Chandramouli " Entity MIB (Version 4)", RFC 6933, May 
                2013.  
         
        [RFC6982]  Sheffer, Y. and A. Farrel, "Improving Awareness of 
                Running Code: The Implementation Status Section", RFC 
                6982, July 2013. 
         
        [RFC6988] Quittek, J., Winter, R., Dietz, T., Claise, B., and M. 
                Chandramouli, " Requirements for Energy Management", 
                RFC 6988, September 2013.  
         
        [EMAN-FMWK] Parello, J. Claise, B., Schoening, B. and Quittek, 
                J., "Energy Management Framework", draft-ietf-eman-
                framework-11, October 2013. 
      
        [EMAN-AS] Schoening, B., Chandramouli, M. and Nordman, B. 
                "Energy Management (EMAN) Applicability Statement", 
                draft-ietf-eman-applicability-statement-04, October 
                2013. 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 75] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 

        [ACPI] "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface 
                Specification",http://www.acpi.info/DOWNLOADS/ACPIspec3
                0b.pdf  
         
        [DMTF] "Power State Management Profile DMTF  DSP1027  Version 
                2.0"  December 2009     
                http://www.dmtf.org/sites/default/files/standards/docum
                ents/DSP1027_2.0.0.pdf 
         
        [IEEE1621]  "Standard for User Interface Elements in Power 
                Control of Electronic Devices Employed in 
                Office/Consumer Environments", IEEE 1621, December 
                2004.  
         
        [IEC.61850-7-4] International Electrotechnical Commission, 
                "Communication networks and systems for power utility 
                automation Part 7-4: Basic communication structure 
                Compatible logical node classes and data object 
                classes", 2010. 
         
        [IEC.62053-21] International Electrotechnical Commission, 
                "Electricity metering equipment (a.c.) Particular 
                requirements Part 22: Static meters for active energy  
                (classes 1 and 2)", 2003. 
         
        [IEC.62053-22]International Electrotechnical Commission, 
                "Electricity metering equipment (a.c.) Particular 
                requirements Part 22: Static meters for active energy  
                (classes 0,2 S and 0,5 S)", 2003. 

     Authors' Addresses 

      Mouli Chandramouli 
      Cisco Systems, Inc. 
      Sarjapur Outer Ring Road 
      Bangalore 560103 
      IN 
       
      Phone: +91 80 4429 2409  
      Email: [email-masked] 

      Benoit Claise 
      Cisco Systems, Inc. 
      De Kleetlaan 6a b1 

     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 76] 
         
     Internet-Draft   <Power and Energy Monitoring MIB> December 2013 
      
      Diegem 1813 
      BE 
          
      Phone: +32 2 704 5622 
      Email: [email-masked] 

      Brad Schoening 
      44 Rivers Edge Drive 
      Little Silver, NJ 07739 
      US 
      Email: [email-masked] 

      Juergen Quittek 
      NEC Europe Ltd. 
      NEC Laboratories Europe 
      Network Research Division 
      Kurfuersten-Anlage 36 
      Heidelberg  69115 
      DE 
       
      Phone: +49 6221 4342-115 
      Email: [email-masked] 

      Thomas Dietz 
      NEC Europe Ltd. 
      NEC Laboratories Europe 
      Network Research Division 
      Kurfuersten-Anlage 36 
      Heidelberg  69115 
      DE 
       
      Phone: +49 6221 4342-128 
      Email: [email-masked] 

      
     <Claise, et. Al>          Expires June 13, 2014          [Page 77]