Subject: [mif] How to identify a host with multiple interfaces

From: "shshrosh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 23:15:18 +0800

Hello, all

I have a problem about multiple interface. Suppose host A communicates with host B, which has multiple interfaces. When one interface of B fails, A may switch to the address of another interface of B to maintain the communication. But how can A know the two addresses corresponde to the same host B?
_______________________________________________
mif mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mif

---

From: "Hui Deng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 15:31:31 +0800

I will try to reply your issue, most application don't decide it's source
address when it set up his network connection, this ability has been given
to network socket, which is discussed in our proposal discussion: source
address selection.

when one interface fails, host A will switch, but whether the session will
be continued depends on some assumptions. In the current IP model, without
consideration of IP mobility multihoming, it's really hard to main the
communication.

How host A know Host B has two interface is out of scope of MIF, it need
more complicated way to realize it.

thanks for the discussion

-Hui

2009/1/17 shshrosh <[email-masked]>

>  Hello, all
>
> I have a problem about multiple interface. Suppose host A communicates with
> host B, which has multiple interfaces. When one interface of B fails, A may
> switch to the address of another interface of B to maintain the
> communication. But how can A know the two addresses corresponde to the same
> host B?
>