Subject: [mif] FW: I-D Action:draft-hong-mif-analysis-scenario-00.txt

From: "Yong-Geun Hong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 15:34:08 +0900

Hi, all.

We submit a draft "Analysis and scenarios of multiple interfaces in a host".

Please review and comment on it.

Best regards.

Yong-Geun.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, March 02, 2009 2:00 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action:draft-hong-mif-analysis-scenario-00.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title           : Analysis and scenarios of multiple interfaces in
a host
	Author(s)       : Y. Hong, J. Youn
	Filename        : draft-hong-mif-analysis-scenario-00.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2009-03-01

This document is an analysis of multiple interfaces in a host and
description of scenarios of multiple interfaces with the respect of TCP/IP
layer.  The current TCP/IP mechanism and networking methods are suitable
for a single network interface.  When a host has multiple interfaces, the
current TCP/IP mechanism and networking methods cannot directly be used for
them.  In this document, we describe some problems for a host which has
multiple network interfaces as an aspect of host's operations and some
usage scenarios of multiple interfaces in a host.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hong-mif-analysis-scenario-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the Internet-
Draft.
[InternetShortcut]
URL=ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hong-mif-analysis-scenario-00.txt

---

From: Taewan You <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 22:07:45 +0900

Hi,

Regarding the scenarios of multiple interfaces, I have some comments.

Actually, current working protocols related multihoming or multiple
interfaces in existence IETF WG such as shim6, mobility extension
(MEXT), may come under scenarios through from section 3.2. to 3.3 in
your draft.
In 3.2, mobility extension works on MEXT related multiple interfaces
can be categorized. And I think that shim6, hip can take the scenario
of section 3.3 as well as SCTP.

However, these working on protocols would suppose that multiple IP
addresses may be allocated cause to multiple interfaces, so that they
only focusing how to use or to handle these IP addresses to achieve
session continuity or handover etc.

But, if a host have multiple interfaces, then only one IP address can
be allocated. Even though that situation, we can be proposed any
method in order to select a proper interface among them to achieve the
best goodput or other objectives. That can be first work items for
MIF.

However, IMHO, we should make additional methods or protocols via
whether extending current working protocols or making new protocols in
order to provide some way using multiple interfaces according to the
scenarios proposed draft.

Regards,
Taewan You.

2009/3/2 Yong-Geun Hong <[email-masked]>
>
> Hi, all.
> We submit a draft "Analysis and scenarios of multiple interfaces in a host". Please review and comment on it. Best regards. Yong-Geun. -----Original Message----- From: i-d-announce-bounces at ietf.org [mailto:i-d-announce-bounces at ietf.org] On Behalf Of Internet-Drafts at ietf.org Sent: Monday, March 02, 2009 2:00 PM To: i-d-announce at ietf.org Subject: I-D Action:draft-hong-mif-analysis-scenario-00.txt A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. Title : Analysis and scenarios of multiple interfaces in a host Author(s) : Y. Hong, J. Youn Filename : draft-hong-mif-analysis-scenario-00.txt Pages : 11 Date : 2009-03-01 This document is an analysis of multiple interfaces in a host and description of scenarios of multiple interfaces with the respect of TCP/IP layer. The current TCP/IP mechanism and networking methods are suitable for a single network interface. When a host has multiple interfaces, the current TCP/IP mechanism and networking methods cannot directly be used for them. In this document, we describe some problems for a host which has multiple network interfaces as an aspect of host's operations and some usage scenarios of multiple interfaces in a host. A URL for this Internet-Draft is: http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hong-mif-analysis-scenario-00.txt Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at: ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/ Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the Internet- Draft.
>
>