Subject: [mif] What about changing [IPv6] default router rules a bit?

From: Markku Savela <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 11:04:36 +0300

I thought to repost my proposal from over 2 years ago on IPv6 mailing
list (21.8.2007). I got no feedback then, but I think this might be
relevant for the MIF topic. Maybe people now understand better what I
was trying to get through..?

-------

It's not difficult to find even home users with multiple ISP
links. Both ISP's send RA's with different prefixes (A=1).

Host sees now two default routers on link and will have multiple
global addresses. By current rules, host can use either router for
outgoing packets regardless of the selected source address.

I think it would be more sensible to pick the default router from the
set of routers that actually advertised the prefix matching the
selected source address?

This would be a simple way to avoid hitting the filters of the ISP's,
when wrong source address (for that ISP) is used.

The IPv6 architecture assumes all routers on link "co-operate", but I
think that is too much to expect from simple "home routers", the ISP
would be supplying... it's better to put some intelligence into host
requirements?

-- 
Markku Savela

---

From: liu dapeng <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 15:23:11 +0800

Hi Markku,
pls see my reply inline.
> set of routers that actually advertised the prefix matching the

You mean using source address selection to control the route selection?

BR,
Dapeng Liu

> _______________________________________________
> mif mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mif
>

---

From: Zhen Cao <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 15:51:38 +0800

> outgoing packets regardless of the selected source address.

Not necessarily true. If the host implements the strong end system
model, it will choose the outgoing route regarding the selected source
address.

---

From: Rémi Després <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 10:39:28 +0200

> model, it will choose the outgoing route regarding the selected source

Interesting.
Could you give a reference where a definition you are using of the  
"strong end system model" is given?
Thanks.
RD

---

From: Dominik Kaspar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 10:46:50 +0200

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_model

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Rémi Després <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Could you give a reference where a definition you are using of the "strong
> end system model" is given?
> Thanks.
> RD
>

---

From: Zhen Cao <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 17:24:49 +0800

Thanks for pointing this out. These concepts are defined in RFC1122,
searching for "Strong ES Model" there. They are also mentioned in the
mif-ps draft.