Subject: Re: [mif] Happy Eyeballs Extension for MIF

From: GangChen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 23:18:45 +0800

Hello Teemu,

Please see reply in line.
Some thoughts updates have been included according to the meeting discussion.

2011/3/27, [email-masked] <[email-masked]>:
> Hi,
>
> This is interesting work. Couple of questions:
>
> Is the value of I initially zero for any destination/hostname that has not
> yet been connected to?

[Gang] The value of I is supposed to be zero initially in preliminary
algorithm proposal.

> draft-ietf-mif-dhcpv6-route-option and RFC4191 allow definition of specific
> routes. In the presence of specific routes it sounds, for me at least,
> somewhat odd to send connection attempts via all interfaces. What about
> incrementing I for a destination address that matches a more specific route?
> Hence initial connection attempt would be sent over the interface that has
> matching route and other interfaces would be tried only if no reply on the
> preferred one?

[Gang] We could take routing information into account for computing value I.
Also, I have noticed there are several preconditions impacting on
value I, like interface cost, higher layer service demanding, etc.
All preconditions would contribute to value I computations. I guess we
need to formulate a function to reflect all criteria.
Multiple rules make algorithm complicated. I'm still working on
modeling the different interface behavior based on several
preconditions.
Any suggestion about this?

> How does the value of I relate to time? (i.e. if I is -1 does the node wait
> 10ms before trying corresponding less-preferred interface).

[Gang] How about absolute value of I*10 milliseconds which is in line
with original Happy Eyeballs proposal

> Why would the DNS query be sent over all interfaces? Is it because "I" for a
> destination name is initially a zero? Like in routing case, if Improved DNS
> Server Selection is in play, would the "I" be nonzero for those interfaces
> over which DNS suffix matching the requested name has been received on?

[Gang] I think that has same situation with second comments.

Best Regards

Gang